Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
AFK Mission 17 exclusively here. Seems to be a 200~ armor limit per level.

http://youtu.be/_KD4EwZqE-o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dear goons I was just playing with: my PS3 froze. Sorry about that. Feel free to continue without me.

That was a fun rear end game though, thanks dudes. My PS3/internet have not been that cooperative for EDF like...ever thus far. Good times.

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
My PS3 locked up as well. I figured the game was telling me it was bedtime.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I finally got thru Map 5 on Hardest difficulty with the Fencer. I didn't know there were so many Retarius on the map.

I'm not that far along due to my play-style: I play on Hardest difficulty, and if I get stuck on a level (like the 5th map), then I go back and play prior levels on Hardest or Inferno until I think my character is built up enough to get through the map I'm stuck on.

I got lucky with the early weapon drops and obtained a level 46 Jackhammer weapon, which helped a lot with the Retarius, but I also had to get up to 400 armor to survive the webbing.

I was getting ticked off the Fencer can't jump over short ledges like the Ranger, and was getting annoying with having to use my Jackhammer to destroy small obstacles in front of me like railings...then I read just now on a FAQ that the A button allows the Fencer a short hop :suicide:

At least my slow play-style has allowed me closer study of the Retarius: now I'm more experienced now at dodging their webbing...

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Look what I learned I could do:

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 7, 2014

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I still haven't figured that out yet. Turrets on tanks are OK, but they run out of ammo quick, and then the bugs gang up on you...

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Bad news people who were helping me make my fan trailer, my elgato bit the dust last night and I don't if it's the cables or if it's the capture card itself. I'm going to try replacing the cables tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'd like to thank you all for your time and patience in helping me setup shots.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Just beat this on hard with a friend in couch co-op tonight (me: fencer, him: wing diver). On that last level, before we knew how to work it, we were getting SLAUGHTERED.

In the beginning, we were just running around trying to break all the panels and getting shots in on the brain when we could. We died very quickly. Eventually, I figured out that using a shield along with my mortar and missiles would prolong my life a TON, so I did that, but we still didn't last past the middle of the second wave.

Turned out we were spending WAY too much time trying to clear out all the panels and all the cannons, etc. I shielded up and hid between buildings, and he got as far into a corner as he could, and we blasted past the first two stages by just removing a set of panels and going all-out on the brain.

So at the end of the second stage, they tease you saying the brain is blowing up... but instead, you get a third stage with loving DRAGONS. Died instantly because we didn't bring any weapons appropriate for dragons. Sigh.

Great game, though. Even better than 2017. I probably won't 100% this one, though...

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Just beat this on hard with a friend in couch co-op tonight (me: fencer, him: wing diver). On that last level, before we knew how to work it, we were getting SLAUGHTERED.

In the beginning, we were just running around trying to break all the panels and getting shots in on the brain when we could. We died very quickly. Eventually, I figured out that using a shield along with my mortar and missiles would prolong my life a TON, so I did that, but we still didn't last past the middle of the second wave.

Turned out we were spending WAY too much time trying to clear out all the panels and all the cannons, etc. I shielded up and hid between buildings, and he got as far into a corner as he could, and we blasted past the first two stages by just removing a set of panels and going all-out on the brain.

So at the end of the second stage, they tease you saying the brain is blowing up... but instead, you get a third stage with loving DRAGONS. Died instantly because we didn't bring any weapons appropriate for dragons. Sigh.

Great game, though. Even better than 2017. I probably won't 100% this one, though...

There's an over pass close to where you start. Once the dragons start coming, your best bet is to hold up under it and start wailing on the Super Earth Eaters. Since the dragons are finite it just becomes a battle of attrition.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
To be more specific, when you spawn cross the ankle deep water until you reach the road, turn left and continue until the road dips downward. It's sort of handy because there are two panels in the first stage on the way that you can take out.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

Look what I learned I could do:

Aerial Death Blender XMZ.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Bad news people who were helping me make my fan trailer, my elgato bit the dust last night and I don't if it's the cables or if it's the capture card itself. I'm going to try replacing the cables tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'd like to thank you all for your time and patience in helping me setup shots.

Darnit, alright. How close were you to getting it done? Might there be an abridged trailer?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Cender posted:

Aerial Death Blender XMZ.

Darnit, alright. How close were you to getting it done? Might there be an abridged trailer?

Close enough that I just plunked down a $120 for a refurb unit. I wanna change a shot I had planned for the Air Raider, originally I wanted to have all the satellite weapons going at once on mission 31 (Brute Force) and leveling all the hectors. But then I discovered you can snipe Argos out of the sky with a Rule of God, so wanna do DLC 1 Mission 5 now instead.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Tonight has been very productive in both filming and general shenanigans.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Oh my god.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

We had a certainly had a blast last night.

Also, 315 hours later :toot:

You don't get anything for doing it.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

We had a certainly had a blast last night.

A part of that gif where the missle enters the ground should be reversed and looped, and then placed in the OP.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Also, 315 hours later :toot:
That's the best thing about these EDF games: the titles offer you a few weeks of real-world time, or more, playing them depending on your pace-of-play.

Here's a Fencer trip-report, for those playing slow and on the Hardest difficulty level, like myself.

After restarting over a dozen times on Map 09, named Beach Fear (a Retarius Master-planned community :neckbeard:), and failing to beat the big web-crawlers with direct weapons up close, I resorted to a distant attack with one of the auto-targeting missile weapons. I think it was an HG or FG variant, mid-level, that locks on up to 10 targets and does 500 damage each (cannot recall the weapon name). With this discovery I could probably start farming Map09 on Inferno difficulty.

Are the Fencer auto-targeting missiles somewhat game-breaking? I was able to camp back a good distance away from the Retarius and their waves of supporting insects and pick everything off at my leisure with the auto-targeting missiles. If the auto-targeting missiles are the way the Fencer class will play effectively on future maps I may switch back to Ranger to ensure a more balanced game.

I have not ran into any Ravager air-units, yet, so perhaps my concerns are not warranted.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Are the Fencer auto-targeting missiles somewhat game-breaking? I was able to camp back a good distance away from the Retarius and their waves of supporting insects and pick everything off at my leisure with the auto-targeting missiles. If the auto-targeting missiles are the way the Fencer class will play effectively on future maps I may switch back to Ranger to ensure a more balanced game.

I have not ran into any Ravager air-units, yet, so perhaps my concerns are not warranted.

The high altitude ones are great for hanging way back and destroying things but it falls apart when there's air units swarming you due to the reload. So far the only good anti air option I've found for fencers is dual wielding shotguns while spamming the boost jump.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Marogareh posted:

The high altitude ones are great for hanging way back and destroying things but it falls apart when there's air units swarming you due to the reload. So far the only good anti air option I've found for fencers is dual wielding shotguns while spamming the boost jump.

This is how you beat mission 39 when you bring ZE guns and a helicopter as an Air Raider, and the fencer you're playing with is the only one with non-laser guided weapons.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

nnnotime posted:

A part of that gif where the missle enters the ground should be reversed and looped, and then placed in the OP.

I tried and couldn't do it so asked other people if they were willing to to take a stab at it. Here's what they did:

Lord Lambeth posted:

Like this?

edit: or a little faster

ah, how about this:

VVV

Captain Bravo posted:

I am a bad person.

(I hope you don't mind me borrowing your work. :v:)

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

I tried and couldn't do it so asked other people if they were willing to to take a stab at it. Here's what they did:
Yeah, Captain Bravo's version is close to what I was thinking about, though I didn't think about adding the explosion at the end.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Ya'll wanna sneak peak on the trailer I'm working on? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55X_m8u8rKI

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Marogareh posted:

Thanks. I tried that with the shotguns but was terrible with it, unless the shotgun I have is too weak (playing on Hardest).

I found another technique to finally get me past Map 10, the level when the air units first appear, after getting a new auto-lock missile system (Arcane 6 stations missile G2, level 47), which will lock onto air units, unlike the FG High Altitude systems. While the air units were distracted with the AI EDF troops I picked them off with the 6-missile system, which worked well for air units on both maps 10 and 11.

Then I got stuck on Map 12, when you have to shoot down the bug transports. The Fencer auto-cannon I had (Galion lightweight cannon M2, level 45?) did not have the range to hit the transport ships at high altitude, so I had to run around on the map for half an hour waiting for the ships to hover down to lower altitude to pick them off, even having to boost jump a few times to reach them.

In hindsight I probably should have used a mortar weapon, as they have more range than the auto-cannons. I'm so used to equipping two jackhammers I didn't think about dropping one for a mortar :bang:

Also, I found a posting for a weapons list for all classes and weapon categories, which appears incomplete, but useful:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&ie=UTF-8&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fweapon.edf.jpn.com%2F

EDIT: A few more weapon and level lists found in this thread:
http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568764

Excel spreadsheet in google docs (from linked thread above):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzMFU1jQ797wRzItUFZsLTlBSzQ/edit?pli=1

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 18, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

Ya'll wanna sneak peak on the trailer I'm working on? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55X_m8u8rKI

Replacing this, with this:

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 19, 2014

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

Replacing this, with this:

Hahahahahahaah

aaah. Good stuff.

I like how you did it like 3 times and even though I was trying to see that happen that night, I kept missing it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
All right I'm posting this here to show how busted the Youtube content ID system is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er27ZGM4q04

This is the first part of the trailer I've been working on. I uploaded it to show Cender. It got a content ID match immediately of, Hemlock Trio-Trinity & Death's Travels, who if you search for their official Youtube page has a whopping 75 views on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgbFDHiVtMs

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

All right I'm posting this here to show how busted the Youtube content ID system is.

This is the first part of the trailer I've been working on. I uploaded it to show Cender. It got a content ID match immediately of, Hemlock Trio-Trinity & Death's Travels, who if you search for their official Youtube page has a whopping 75 views on it.

Suck it, YouTube.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I'm finally starting to get the hang of using shields for single-player Fencer. Figured I would throw this out here in case anyone else had read one of the Gamefaqs that explained the Fencer shields were useless, which I now disagree with.

I'm playing on Hardest and was having a tough time getting thru Mission 20 (Shining Stronghold), where two shield bearers guard three giant anthills. It doesn't help that it takes forever for the NPC Fencers to reach the first anthill.

After a dozen failed attempts with all sorts of weapons (weapon levels up to 57) I decided to try two Tower Shields (level 57, 7000 points protection) and a level 55 spear and mortar.

That shield did the trick, turning the ant melee into a real Warhammer-like experience. The fact the ant shots on the shield makes you bounce around helps you avoid any other incoming enemy ant shots. The shields held up real well and I was able to boost to grab health to tank for the remaining ant waves.

I was able to solo the entire level, though the NPC Fencers helped to keep some of the ants off my back until I could get to the last anthill.

The shield also worked great in the subsequent Tunnel mission for the same reasons listed above.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

nnnotime posted:

I'm finally starting to get the hang of using shields for single-player Fencer. Figured I would throw this out here in case anyone else had read one of the Gamefaqs that explained the Fencer shields were useless, which I now disagree with.

I'm playing on Hardest and was having a tough time getting thru Mission 20 (Shining Stronghold), where two shield bearers guard three giant anthills. It doesn't help that it takes forever for the NPC Fencers to reach the first anthill.

After a dozen failed attempts with all sorts of weapons (weapon levels up to 57) I decided to try two Tower Shields (level 57, 7000 points protection) and a level 55 spear and mortar.

That shield did the trick, turning the ant melee into a real Warhammer-like experience. The fact the ant shots on the shield makes you bounce around helps you avoid any other incoming enemy ant shots. The shields held up real well and I was able to boost to grab health to tank for the remaining ant waves.

I was able to solo the entire level, though the NPC Fencers helped to keep some of the ants off my back until I could get to the last anthill.

The shield also worked great in the subsequent Tunnel mission for the same reasons listed above.

Shields are also great to reflect enemy projectiles back at them. Depending on difficulty and your own weapon loadout, that can end up a faster way to clear crowds! I don't know why shields are so unpopular; maybe it's a play-style thing. I love using shields though.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The final shield you get is pretty amazing for tanking everything the game throws at you. I tend to use them on tunnel missions and works wonders on DLC 16 with a blasthole spear on the other hand.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I was playing some of the later levels on normal today and I was wondering how Earth could be losing the battle to the insects since my guy could kill literally hundreds of insects and walk away unscathed. Then I watched some of the other EDF members get stuck on a corner for like a minute and 30 seconds and it all made sense.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

WARNING: Long post follows about a successful strategy with Fencer on Hardest on Map 22 "A Trap".

Related to shield-discussions and successful strategies: as an update I'm trying to play the game all the way thru with Fencer on Hardest difficulty (I'm probably the slowest EDF gamer that ever lived).

Two weeks ago I reached Map 22, "A Trap", and was stuck. You probably remember it's the underground level where you start out in a giant pit with some EDF members that have flame weapons. I found out after trying the map a dozen times that a Fencer with 700 armor quickly succumbs to the seemingly endless swarms of ants and spiders from above the pit.

After spending two weeks with various strategies and tanking up my Fencer on the side to 2600 health, I finally beat the map this evening on Hardest with Fencer. I won't have time to create a video so I'll just post the strategy here in case any goons are also stuck here at this difficulty level:

A Strategy for Map 22, "A Trap", Fencer, Hardest difficulty: may also work for Inferno with some extra armor tanking.

Recommended armor: 2000 (I had 2600)
Weapons:
Lvl 57 Tower Shield 4E
Lvl 59 Jackhammer M4
Lvl 52 Deflection Shield 7 (or any fast shield)
Lvl 59 Jackhammer M4

Strategy steps:
1) Start the map with your Deflection Shield 7 active (or any fast shield) and start racing up the ledge that rises up to the top level, using dash-cancelling to move up quickly.

2) Once up top keep dash cancelling and take a _left_ over the bridgeway and try to avoid and ignore the ants all around you. They can block you but you can dash around them. You are heading to the tunnels opposite the bridge (not the near tunnels).
If you take too much damage here (like armorlower than 500) then you may need to restart.

3) Head to the narrow tunnel to the left. Your shield may almost be out of power due to dash-cancelling so keep pushing into the tunnel and to the left with your boost from the Jackhammer. Keep following the tunnel leftward.

4) Your goal is the small T-Intersection which has a blocked-off tunnel wall to the left that is somewhat inset and lower than the passageway. Switch to your Tower Shield and face back at the two tunnels from the intersection you see enemies coming from. From here you will mount your defense.

Don't stay with your back against the wall initially, as you have better line of fire in the juncture facing the two tunnels.
If you get overwhelmed you can back into the sealed-off tunnel wall.

5) Initially you should get what's left of the starting ants and a fresh wave of ants, along with spiders. The spiders will come last. Do not venture out to go after the spiders and let them come to you. This is a good time to grab health-packs if dropped near you by the enemies.

6) When enough spiders are killed then another wave of spiders and ants will appear, the spiders appearing closer to your side of the tunnels. You'll be able to pick off the spiders first from both tunnels but soon the ants will come flooding in.

7) You will have to back up from the T-intersection and keep your back to the blocked tunnel wall. At this point you will be swarmed with ants above you and you will not be able to see anything while you shoot, as the blocked tunnel wall forces the camera into the back of your Fencer.

You will have to fire your Jackhammer blind and aim it above your head and also at the angle up to the juncture. To guide your aim use the radar and listen to any death sounds to confirm if you are aiming in the right direction. Since you can't see you could be shooting into the tunnel walls and not know it.

8) If you are successful there should be the corpses of ants and spiders in front of you, blocking your view, and their swarm should be dissipated, with a few stragglers coming up from the tunnels, which you should easily pick off.

(At this point my 7000-point tower shield was only down to 200 points, but I was still alive with 900 health).

9) All that is left should be a couple of ants and many spiders left in the main pit, not able to get to you quickly. Move up slowly but stay in this section of tunnels, watching the radar for any ants and spiders that come close. Also a good time to heal up if any healthpacks are near.

10) If no more ants appear then all that is left are spiders back in the starting pick. Switch back to your fast-shield and dash-cancel across the bridgeway and enter the opposing series of tunnels, heading thru the tunnel entrance on your right.

11) The spiders should have an easier time coming up to you from the pit in your new location, so pick them off as they arrive.

12) If any spiders remain stuck in the pit, and you have enough armor, then go make the pit their final resting place, which should end the mission.

Notes about the strategy's development:

During Step 7) it was pretty intense, Warhammer-style :black101:, as when the third wave of ants swarmed they flooded the tunnels and I literally could not see any enemies I was shooting at, and had to pray the Tower shield would protect me as my back was against the sealed tunnel wall. I just firing the Jackhammer and reloading, looking to the radar and listening for bug deaths to determine if my aim was correct. I don't recall how long that lasted. Maybe a minute?

Two weeks ago after multiple failures on this map I decided to go back to Map 18, the Artillery level, and do weapons-mining on Inferno until I could get the Lvl 59 Jackhammer M4, as I figured I would need a weapon like that would help to get thru Map 22. It was a good omen the Jackhammer M4 looks like the WH40K Lightning Claws.

My strategy the past two weeks had been to equip the Lvl 53 FH22 Mortar and use that to pick off the bugs up top. But once you are swarmed in the pit the mortar was of no help, as the reload time was too long.

Last week I wondered if establishing a defense in the top-level tunnels would help reduce getting flanked by the bugs. I tried the defense a few times in the tunnels closest to the ledge-way up, but the cavern was so wide that the enemies could easily flank you up close when swarmed.

So this morning I thought, "What if I tried the defense from the tunnels opposite the bridge?" I did a dry-run on Hard and found the strategy worked pretty well in the opposite tunnels, next to the sealed tunnel passage. And then I realized using the Tower Shield would increase your defensive arc to 150 degrees, which should help made the defensive position at the juncture more effective.

I had tried using the Tower shield in earlier attempts in the pit but it was too slow to maneuver with, despite it's increased defensive arc.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
After more than 120 hours in, I've only just figured out that you can create custom armour colours. :stare:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zero Star posted:

After more than 120 hours in, I've only just figured out that you can create custom armour colours. :stare:

I feel bad for you. That was one of the first things I discovered. Lavender Pale Wing for life.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elephant Ambush posted:

I feel bad for you. That was one of the first things I discovered. Lavender Pale Wing for life.

Violently pink fencer forever.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I feel boring for making him white with blue detailing :(
(still think it looks good, though)

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

At what point should I try the DLC Missions? I'm playing solo with Fencer on Hardest difficulty, and just got through Charge Phase 2 (Map 30).

I read that some of the DLC missions are mid-level. Should I just finish the main game and then start the DLC's? Or can I switch over to the DLC and play them through without breaking any continuity with missions in the main game?

That Charge Phase 2 map was similar to the earlier Trap level (map 22), so the same strategy I over-explained above, of finding and racing to a blocked off tunnel with your back against the wall and then defending with the Tower shield and jackhammer, worked just fine.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 30, 2014

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
For what it's worth, the DLC missions still have weapon level/armor restrictions when you play online, so that can give you a general idea of the difficulty. I want to say they start out at about the same level as around mission 50 for the main game, but since there are fewer DLC levels the difficulty and restrictions ramp up a lot more quickly.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

hamburgers in pockets posted:

For what it's worth, the DLC missions still have weapon level/armor restrictions when you play online, so that can give you a general idea of the difficulty. I want to say they start out at about the same level as around mission 50 for the main game, but since there are fewer DLC levels the difficulty and restrictions ramp up a lot more quickly.
Thanks, perhaps I'll try them out when I get to Map 50.

So far EDF 2025 appears to me the best in the series, though I haven't played all of the titles (just 2017 and IA). The amount of gameplay offered in 2025 is incredible.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

nnnotime posted:

Thanks, perhaps I'll try them out when I get to Map 50.

So far EDF 2025 appears to me the best in the series, though I haven't played all of the titles (just 2017 and IA). The amount of gameplay offered in 2025 is incredible.
If you're insane and want to complete every single level, on every difficulty, with all four characters, then you'll have to play through each mission twenty times. And that's just one mission, out of more than a hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I've been playing this like mad again, trying to get the best weapons and further increase my armor ratings off and online.

My Air Raider is sorely lacking in high-level vehicles, the best I have is the Vegalta Firelord at Lv82, with everything else in the 40s-50s still. I still love the reliable Gigantus and have become a startlingly great shot with the howitzer turret. Just wish my best one wasn't a Lv50ish thing.

So I've been experimenting a lot with air support, and have come to the conclusion that Whale is one of the best in the game. It recharges so fast, that with good placement you can get more than one going at a time for truly massive, bug-and-hector-sploding carnage.

I saw a guy recently who had over 16000 hp, so it leads me to wonder what the armor cap is.