Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
akainu is like literally the most evil character in one piece besides the celestial dragons

he also wasnt about to tolerate a bunch of HIS OWN MEN DYING when it was quite possibly a losing battle when he had ean easy out.

blackbeard at least gives a poo poo about his subordinates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's possible for someone to have redeeming qualities and still be pretty loving evil.

See: Blackbeard and Akainu.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Look, Luffy is the Man With No Name, Akainu is Angle Eyes and Blackbeard is Tuco. Can we talk about something other than the exquisitely complex tapestry of morality in One Piece? The weavers have other clients' orders to fill.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
On top of that, the government's motivation for covering up the blank century is apparently more about erasing history than it is about stopping the ancient weapons from being recreated. Because of that, I'd say Akainu is just as twisted as the elder stars.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
But we can all agree that that the Celestial Dragons are the loving worst right?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Reiche posted:

But we can all agree that that the Celestial Dragons are the loving worst right?

ya

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

On top of that, the government's motivation for covering up the blank century is apparently more about erasing history than it is about stopping the ancient weapons from being recreated. Because of that, I'd say Akainu is just as twisted as the elder stars.

That's the Elder Stars' motivation. I'm pretty sure Akainu knows nothing about the Void Century.

The Celestial Dragons are definitely ludicrously evil, though, and everyone in the upper ranks of the WG becomes less of a good guy by virtue of not doing anything about them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Reiche posted:

Theres a 100% chance that theres a decent one and we'll meet them.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

KoB posted:

Turns out, Doflamingo IS the good one.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Unless you're ready to go to Batman levels of mental gymnastics, Robin is pretty obviously killing people constantly even after joining the Straw Hats. That or seriously paralyzing them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ladyboy pancake posted:

Unless you're ready to go to Batman levels of mental gymnastics, Robin is pretty obviously killing people constantly even after joining the Straw Hats. That or seriously paralyzing them.

Even normal humans in the One Piece world seem to be somewhat more durable than people in our own (with the nonsensical exception of Kuina).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KoB posted:

Don't Vivi and her dad count as Celestial Dragons in a roundabout sort of way? Their ancestors could have chosen to be Celestial Dragons, but decided that their descendants having to deal with Sandy-man's rebellion was preferable to their descendants become grossly misshapen bubble-heads with no basic life skills.

As for Robin, her Clutch thing failed to kill Spandam, and that was after he'd taken abuse from Sogeking, Franky, and Robin herself beforehand. And Spandam is weaker than your average marine according to Cipher Pol power levels. I don't think mental gymnastics are required to argue against her killing people.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oda has explicitly stated that things that would kill a real human, even the weakest of One Piece people could possibly survive. His example was, if I remember correctly, that a 'strong' member of the One Piece world could get hit with a cannon ball and survive, while weaker ones could take poo poo like entire buildings falling on their head, having all their bones broken, etc.

Or rather - it's a shounen comic, no one dies unless the bad guy does it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ladyboy pancake posted:

Usopp took a 4-ton baseball bat to the face and walked it off.

'Normal' in One Piece is superhuman to us.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Luffy lead a charge to rescue his brother from a horribly corrupt government, so he's a bad guy.

Blackbeard killed his brother in cold blood and has committed a lot of other atrocities besides, so we really need to know more about his motivations before we can say if he's evil or not.

What an amazing view of morality.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

KittyEmpress posted:

Oda has explicitly stated that things that would kill a real human, even the weakest of One Piece people could possibly survive. His example was, if I remember correctly, that a 'strong' member of the One Piece world could get hit with a cannon ball and survive, while weaker ones could take poo poo like entire buildings falling on their head, having all their bones broken, etc.

Or rather - it's a shounen comic, no one dies unless the bad guy does it.

Has Oda explained how Kuina died from falling down the stairs?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Why does everyone keep saying Blackbeard killed a "brother" to get his fruit? He explicitly stated he only joined up with Whitebeard because he thought that crew was the strongest and therefore most likely to find the fruit. He obviously never considered any of them his <NAKAMA>. To that end, he basically killed an evil pirate member of Whitebeard's crew, especially as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

I actually like Blackbeard not being mustache-twirling evil, just pragmatic and selfish with apparent plans to rule the world. I remember when one of the newer members said he should be the captain, and Lafette threatened to kill him, saying, "We're the Blackbeard pirates, understand?". A nice show of loyalty from his core crew, and probably from the rest of them by now. Adds layers to their characters.

That being said, he's obviously nowhere near as "good" in any sense whatsoever as Luffy, that's just silly. Luffy, for all his talk about not being a hero, has put his life on the line again and again for not only his comrades, but total strangers as well. Since dying would mean he could never be the Pirate King, he's essentially giving up his dream to save people. Can you imagine Blackbeard ever doing anything close to that? What about Blackbeard and Ace? Can you imagine Luffy ever, for any reason, beating someone up and holding them hostage to further his own agenda? Oh, wait.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Because he was a Whitebeard Pirate, a crew who aren't just comrades but an actual family. Blackbeard may not have considered his crewmen brothers, but they considered him one. Honestly, that's another black mark against him.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Oh, you guys mean Thatch when you say he killed his brother? I was thinking of his twin.

RE:

Lpzie posted:

He had to or else he couldn't eat two fruits.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I assume she tripped.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JosephWongKS posted:

The stairs were made for giants.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are aware that evil isn't a highlander, which allows there to be more than one evil dude aren't you? Scamming your way into a family, then killing one of it's members in order to get the loot you were scamming for, so that you can trick the government into letting you into Gitmo Supermax, which allows you to break out the world's worst prisoners for your run at world conquest is pretty evil. Like textbook Bond Villain evil.

JosephWongKS posted:

They were sword stairs.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Presumably head-first?

That or the stairs had eaten the Breakneck-Breakneck fruit.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Advice posted:

Why does everyone keep saying Blackbeard killed a "brother" to get his fruit? He explicitly stated he only joined up with Whitebeard because he thought that crew was the strongest and therefore most likely to find the fruit. He obviously never considered any of them his <NAKAMA>. To that end, he basically killed an evil pirate member of Whitebeard's crew, especially as far as the rest of the world is concerned.
So if I kill my parents that's morally ambiguous because I was only using them to further my goal of 'growing up and moving out and getting free food/money' so that means they're not my actual family, and they have speeding tickets so that makes them bad people so it was kind of like killing Hitler!

You guys are seriously dumb as gently caress, you obsessed loving neckbeards, Blackbeard is so obvíously evil Luffy is so goddamn obviously good and god go choke on a manga volume.

My deep and morally ambiguous animes :qqsay:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JosephWongKS posted:

It's a cover up. Obviously.

Your selection of conspiracy theories include:
- Kuina is actually Tashigi with amnesia.
- Kuina lost a duel and preformed sepukku, her dad said she fell so people wouldn't think he'd ask his daughter to kill herself for him, cause he didn't, she was just being dumb.
- Kuina won a duel and the man she won against held a grudge so a bunch of thugs beat her to death, however, Oda had a premonition that 4Kids would use this same idea, and thus decided that it should be changed, however, since this was the early days and he was on a much tighter schedule than he is now, he could only remove a page and white out the offending lines.
- Koshiro wasn't pretending at being sexist and really did want Zoro to be his heir, if only there was a way to get rid of Kuina that would inspire Zoro to take her place...
- "Fell down some stairs" has significance in Japanese culture as being a cover story for being assassinated by Yakuza, so it's likely what happened was Koshiro fell behind on his "protection" payments, and thus he needed to pay some "interest".
- Kuina ate the x-ray-x-ray fruit, and, in a fit of being unable to recognize the world around her because she saw through it, tripped at the top of some stairs.
- Kuina ate the reincarnation fruit that Brook ate ages again, but was buried before she could find her body again. She reincarnated as a kitten instead and has been happy ever since.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One of the questions Oda got for an American Shonen Jump issue had him answer that question with just "Kunia and Tashigi aren't the same person", but I'm sure there are people who don't believe it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Didn't Oda say that Sabo was dead in a SBS?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broseph Brostar posted:

Didn't Oda say that Sabo was dead in a SBS?

no, it was in one piece green which was not written by oda

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobjr posted:

One of the questions Oda got for an American Shonen Jump issue had him answer that question with just "Kunia and Tashigi aren't the same person", but I'm sure there are people who don't believe it.

To be fair, Kuma and Pacifista 0 aren't the same person either.

Basically Kuina is going to show up latter as Pacifista Alpha and fight Zoro after Zoro beats Hawkeye.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

- "Fell down some stairs" has significance in Japanese culture as being a cover story for being assassinated by Yakuza, so it's likely what happened was Koshiro fell behind on his "protection" payments, and thus he needed to pay some "interest".
I realize this is a joke post, but Koshiro was helping out Dragon, at least that was the implication in that brief shot of him we got when Sabo 'died.'

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Just got to Brook. "Do you poop?" Best strawhat introduction ever.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

- Kuina is actually Tashigi with amnesia.
- Kuina lost a duel and preformed sepukku, her dad said she fell so people wouldn't think he'd ask his daughter to kill herself for him, cause he didn't, she was just being dumb.
- Kuina won a duel and the man she won against held a grudge so a bunch of thugs beat her to death, however, Oda had a premonition that 4Kids would use this same idea, and thus decided that it should be changed, however, since this was the early days and he was on a much tighter schedule than he is now, he could only remove a page and white out the offending lines.
- Koshiro wasn't pretending at being sexist and really did want Zoro to be his heir, if only there was a way to get rid of Kuina that would inspire Zoro to take her place...
- Kuina ate the x-ray-x-ray fruit, and, in a fit of being unable to recognize the world around her because she saw through it, tripped at the top of some stairs.
- Kuina ate the reincarnation fruit that Brook ate ages again, but was buried before she could find her body again. She reincarnated as a kitten instead and has been happy ever since.

You forgot the possibility of Kuina being killed by nanomachines because Blackbeard looked int the future and saw her as a threat or Tashigi actually being an attached fetus that escaped her body after her father discovered it and cut it off, but not wanting another daughter he gave her to an orphanage.

I mean cmon man how could you forget those theories, get your act together.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Zoro is also actually the son of Kuina's aunt and Gol D Roger, who didn't kidnap Kuina's aunt, but actually fell in love with her after she disguised herself to win the Davy Back Fight at Shaboady. The samurai has three swords.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Madam Shirley is Arlong's sister?! :psyduck:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If there was one thing 4kids did right it was changing Kuina's demise. Getting beat up by a gang of sore losers to the point of never being able to wield a sword is a lot more impactful than "she fell down the stairs."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SgtSteel91 posted:

If there was one thing 4kids did right it was changing Kuina's demise. Getting beat up by a gang of sore losers to the point of never being able to wield a sword is a lot more impactful than "she fell down the stairs."

In the One Piece world, a dream as big as being the greatest swordsman can't be stopped by anything short of death though. Her buddy wields a sword in his drat mouth, ain't no such thing as being unable to wield a sword while being able to move in the least.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SgtSteel91 posted:

except considering the mysterious circumstances of tashigi they may have completely ruined a plot point.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

JosephWongKS posted:

I've never gotten why people think this is so silly. If you hit your head wrong it doesn't take much at all to kill you. A friend of mine fell down a flight of stairs and was brain-dead by the time he reached the bottom.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ThingOne posted:

I've never gotten why people think this is so silly. If you hit your head wrong it doesn't take much at all to kill you. A friend of mine fell down a flight of stairs and was brain-dead by the time he reached the bottom.

Because a guy survived being blown up at point-blank range. Anything goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kuina survived in the reveal that she was actually the first Haki user in the series and it not only allows you to punch DF users, it allows you to punch stairs.

• Locked thread