Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Ah the classic std game.

NaOH and phenol red. Or white vinegar and ph test strips.

I'll see if this is possible, thanks!

Hummingbirds posted:

"Philosophy camp?"

Yeah it's just like regular camp except when we play a game and someone says "that's no fair" we sit down and talk about fairness. And all the councillors are philosophers.

stubblyhead posted:

The kids need that on their resume so they can get into that magnet middle school, so they can get into the IB program at the high school, so they can get accepted at Harvard and go on to cure cancer. You want a cure for cancer, right?

Interestingly like half of our campers are subsidized by grants and could be classified as "at-risk". Some of the discussions are really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Yeah it's just like regular camp except when we play a game and someone says "that's no fair" we sit down and talk about fairness. And all the councillors are philosophers.
This is, like, a "scared straight" thing for kids who want to be liberal arts majors, right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hummingbirds posted:

Also, you can't use Rogaine if you have a cat as it's incredibly toxic to them.

I don't, but my girlfriend does, and there's a chance we'll move in together in a few months, so I guess rogaine's out.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I wouldn't worry too much about the cat. What's the worst that could happen? It dies?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about the cat. What's the worst that could happen? It dies?

I think the ads warn against accidental exposure to women and children as well. Sounds like some spoopy stuff.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

I think the ads warn against accidental exposure to women and children as well. Sounds like some spoopy stuff.

It's actually pregnant/breast-feeding women who are supposed to avoid any contact, which is true of so many loving things (coffee, alcohol, cat poop, a huge range of foods and medicines, etc.). The drug is hormonal, and specifically formulated for male-patterned baldness, so it's not really meant for women. It's also not meant for use on children, but that applies to 80% of the drugs you keep in your medicine cabinet.

Googling seems to indicate mostly that the cat thing is "don't let your cat lick your head, and quickly clean up any spills." If you're extra-paranoid, you could even wash your head before bed to keep it off the pillows, but it's absolutely something you could check with a veterinarian about, see what they have to say. A couple different places cite an ASPCA report that says 6 cats died from exposure over four years, mostly from owners directly applying it to them.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I work for a semi-charitable/government funded company that works with children with autism. For summer camp they take lots of pictures. They used to organize them into photo albums but at the number of children got three times bigger this became too hard to do.

Is there some kind of free or cheap software where you can have something like a cute album template that you could simply drag picture files into so they can easily be printed? Online distribution is not an option for legal reasons.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So you can't use online sites even if you have your own private gallery? Cause stuff like snapfish works well

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the posted:

So you can't use online sites even if you have your own private gallery? Cause stuff like snapfish works well
I'm sure it's HIPAA concerns. Posting the pictures online, unencrypted could be seen as a violation of the kids' medical privacy (since it's a camp for autistic kids).

I used to work for a non-profit, and it's taken very seriously in the cases of kids with disabilities.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I don't take either, I have, however, looked into both. They both can have some pretty serious side effects (including sexual side effects, which kind of defeats the purpose),

What purpose defeats what now?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pupdive posted:

What purpose defeats what now?

Seems like they were saying having a full head of hair ostensibly to attract a partner and then not being able to get it up (or want to? idk from the symptoms) would be lovely.

Just speculating though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Seems like they were saying having a full head of hair ostensibly to attract a partner and then not being able to get it up (or want to? idk from the symptoms) would be lovely.

Just speculating though.

Yeah, it was a joke. But also there's a chance those drugs can make it so you can't get it up; that part was not a joke.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 12, 2014

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Added Space posted:

I work for a semi-charitable/government funded company that works with children with autism. For summer camp they take lots of pictures. They used to organize them into photo albums but at the number of children got three times bigger this became too hard to do.

Is there some kind of free or cheap software where you can have something like a cute album template that you could simply drag picture files into so they can easily be printed? Online distribution is not an option for legal reasons.

iPhoto (OS X) apparently has lots of ways to throw a bunch of pictures and have them come out as it they are sheets on a photo album, because I get lots of those from people with OS X.

I don't use it myself, but I just tried this, and just choosing a random pile of picture in iPhoto, and choosing Contact Sheet arranged the pictures I chose into something like that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So I've ordered a music CD that comes with a bonus DVD in the PAL format (and likely region locked), but I live in North America (Canada); home of NTSC, and only NTSC.

When I inevitably try to rip it, is it possible to convert the format, and what programs can do so?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Mister Macys posted:

So I've ordered a music CD that comes with a bonus DVD in the PAL format (and likely region locked), but I live in North America (Canada); home of NTSC, and only NTSC.

When I inevitably try to rip it, is it possible to convert the format, and what programs can do so?

Handbrake

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
This is something I'm having trouble with, my father passed away last week and I have to somehow sell his property- one acre of land, and on that acre are a very very dilapidated trailer (single-wide) and an old two-story house, which is barebones and never repaired after moving. His car is the same, not very well taken care of. It runs, but only technically-- it won't go out of 2nd gear.
Is it possible to get rid of any of this? I have no experience with moving estate- are there guides to this? I don't have the money to pay a real estate agent to sell the property for me, so I assume it all has to be done on my own without professional assistance... I'm just so lost.
Do I market the car (2001 Nissan Maxima) as 'for parts'? Can I do that for the overgrown land and buildings that are the world's most in-need fixer-uppers ever? I'm so lost emotionally, but financially this is a nightmare for me.. I'm in the state of Louisiana, if that's needed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Paradox Personified posted:

This is something I'm having trouble with, my father passed away last week and I have to somehow sell his property- one acre of land, and on that acre are a very very dilapidated trailer (single-wide) and an old two-story house, which is barebones and never repaired after moving. His car is the same, not very well taken care of. It runs, but only technically-- it won't go out of 2nd gear.
Is it possible to get rid of any of this? I have no experience with moving estate- are there guides to this? I don't have the money to pay a real estate agent to sell the property for me, so I assume it all has to be done on my own without professional assistance... I'm just so lost.
Do I market the car (2001 Nissan Maxima) as 'for parts'? Can I do that for the overgrown land and buildings that are the world's most in-need fixer-uppers ever? I'm so lost emotionally, but financially this is a nightmare for me.. I'm in the state of Louisiana, if that's needed.

You don't pay real estate agents anything up front, they're paid a percentage of the sale price in commission, usually around 3%.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

You don't pay real estate agents anything up front, they're paid a percentage of the sale price in commission, usually around 3%.

So I could theoretically find one that could help me with this situation? Is there something I should look out for, or can I pick anyone out of the Real Estate section in the phone book?
edit: Thanks for responding by the way, as I'm totally lost right now.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

So I could theoretically find one that could help me with this situation? Is there something I should look out for, or can I pick anyone out of the Real Estate section in the phone book?

Sorry about your loss. It's probably worth looking at the realtors' web sites to see if they're listing similar condition properties ("fixer uppers" is a key word) to your dad's.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Why not try googling the relevant terms "best realtor somewhere louisiana" or "selling land somewhere louisiana" and see who comes up. If you give them a call and explain their situation then I'm sure they'll be happy to help guide you through the process.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Trastion posted:

If your replacing it with the same motherboard then you will probably be fine. Also it depends on what your operating system is. Newer Microsoft stuff like Windows 7 and 8 are better at parts changing and it adapting. Not sure about the different *nix flavors out there.

Either way your best bet is to swap the board out and try to boot into windows. If it wont boot because it doesnt like the board change then you will have to reinstall the OS.

Also if you can get a new hard drive (do yourself a favor and upgrade to a SSD) you can probably get all your files off the old one by putting it in as a 2nd drive. You can also get a very handy adapter like this one on Amazon for about $20 that will allow you to plug it in as a USB drive on any computer. I just grabbed the first link I could so read reveiews. I don't know if that one is any good or not.

So at worst the system just wont boot, I'm not gonna brick the new board by attempting to boot it right?

I'm not to worried about losing really important files (or maybe I just can't recall any and in like a week I'll remember something critically important was on the drive), its more of having to redownload everything again. All those gigs :shepicide:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

What's the rush? The car can be advertised to be sold as parts, or sold to the scrapyard, probably the same for the caravan.. Once you empty it. The house can be sold by a real estate in current condition if you want, with emphasis on repair, or knock down rebuilds. Either way you should see who services that area and have a chat with them about the situation. Good luck, my condolences.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I'm 27 years old, moved to America from Australia 4 years ago. Back in Sydney I got away with never having to drive because it was always easier and cheaper to get public transport. Then I moved to this stupid town (Savannah, GA - it's actually perfectly ok) and the public transport system to almost non existent. I need to learn to drive!!! But now it's become this stupid mental hurdle I can't overcome! The few times I have tried, with my poor husband giving me lessons, I have turned onto the wrong side of the road a few times, as we drive on the opposite side in Aus. I don't know how to just get my poo poo together and learn already! Any advice?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miranda posted:

I'm 27 years old, moved to America from Australia 4 years ago. Back in Sydney I got away with never having to drive because it was always easier and cheaper to get public transport. Then I moved to this stupid town (Savannah, GA - it's actually perfectly ok) and the public transport system to almost non existent. I need to learn to drive!!! But now it's become this stupid mental hurdle I can't overcome! The few times I have tried, with my poor husband giving me lessons, I have turned onto the wrong side of the road a few times, as we drive on the opposite side in Aus. I don't know how to just get my poo poo together and learn already! Any advice?

Pay for a driving school, they're usually not that expensive and will have teachers who have dealt with much worse starting points. Also they'll often lend you a car to use during your actual road test, which is actually quite useful to have.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 13, 2014

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DrBouvenstein posted:

Has anyone here taken Rogaine or Propecia?

I know I should just age gracefully an all that jazz, but on the other hand...gently caress that. I'm getting a bald spot on my crown, and I feel I'm too young for that.

My understanding is that Rogaine doesn't regrow hair, it can only help you keep the hair you've got, yes? Whereas Propecia does have a chance at regrowing it, but it's prescription only, and possibly more expensive?

Could I, in theory, go on Propecia for a couple years to regrow the little but of hair that'/s gone, then switch to Rogaine to keep it?
Some doctor you are. You need to do a lot more research, at least googling, before you make a decision on one or the other or both or neither.

Rogaine (Minoxidil) is a topical drug you rub on your head. It can grow hair on your balding crown (but not a receding front hairline). It has no commonly known sexual side effects. It'll probably grow at least some hair, but if you stop rubbing it on twice a day that newly grown hair will likely fall out again over time.

Propecia (Finasteride) is an oral medication that you eat and is known to cause decreased sexual ability/desire and can also decrease the amount of semen released during sex. Don't take this if you're trying to have a kid. It may grow more or less hair than Rogaine, but taking both will probably maximize hair growth, but also maximize side effects.

Also, lol at the idiot who lets his or her cat lick his or her head right after applying rogaine. (It's a catlady, isn't it?)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Pay for a driving school, they're usually not that expensive and will have teachers who have dealt with much worse starting points. Also they'll often lend you a car to use during your actual road test, which is actually quite useful to have.

Seconding paying for a driving school.

Depending on the state, a passing record from an accredited driving school can count as a road test for licensing purposes.

As for Stupid/Small questions, Airplane! has been translated into numerous languages, how do they handle the famous pun-tastic, "Surely you can't be serious." "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 13, 2014

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Miranda posted:

Try playing a lot of grand theft auto, or some other driving simulator

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Babygravy posted:

What's the rush? The car can be advertised to be sold as parts, or sold to the scrapyard, probably the same for the caravan.. Once you empty it. The house can be sold by a real estate in current condition if you want, with emphasis on repair, or knock down rebuilds. Either way you should see who services that area and have a chat with them about the situation. Good luck, my condolences.
The rush is the crematorium hassling us to get in more than double the amount we were quoted as his loving body cooled. I don't have money for myself for food but I have to scrape up three thousand soon..
A scrapyard sounds like what the property and 'houses' would have to be carted off to- it's a literal jungle, and I don't know how I'll get an acre of jungle down to sell the land and broken-down buildings.
It's a trap of need-money to get this done, but I don't have-money- it's tied up in the land/rotting wood, and rotting car. And I'm mourning, so there's that lovely combination of grief and loss and needing all at once that makes this pretty loving unbearable.
Thanks for putting up with me. Is there a thread on grief or something?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Miranda posted:

Cheap comic solution, play a poo poo ton of Euro Truck Simulator.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

The rush is the crematorium hassling us to get in more than double the amount we were quoted as his loving body cooled. I don't have money for myself for food but I have to scrape up three thousand soon..
A scrapyard sounds like what the property and 'houses' would have to be carted off to- it's a literal jungle, and I don't know how I'll get an acre of jungle down to sell the land and broken-down buildings.
It's a trap of need-money to get this done, but I don't have-money- it's tied up in the land/rotting wood, and rotting car. And I'm mourning, so there's that lovely combination of grief and loss and needing all at once that makes this pretty loving unbearable.

I am a completely non-religious person, but your situation is where a strong religious community can help you. Ministers, rabbis, even non-denominational military chaplains are trained in helping people with grief, and also with the practical issues. Was your father in a local congregation at any point?

Put as much as you can of this on other people, on anyone who offers to help you. At this time, you and your family need to help each other with the emotional stuff. Later when you are through the practical things, the follow-up grief counseling will often be there.

If you can find a young unemployed relative to live in the house and work on the car and yard, it might make sense for them to pay themselves for their time to from the proceeds. Someone in that situation can hang on for the most money or not as they need to get paid.

(I hate the idea of insurance for handling funeral expenses, but this is why people get such insurance.)

My heart goes out to you. I'm just some guy on the internet you never met, who does not have beliefs, but if I prayed, you and your family would be in my prayers.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
America has the highest criminal incarceration rate in the world, and I am told this is in part due to the War on Drugs. What would happen to America's prison population if all the non-violent drug offenders were suddenly released?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Why do all the guys on the bench in the World Cup matches have to wear those goofy smocks?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Baron Bifford posted:

America has the highest criminal incarceration rate in the world, and I am told this is in part due to the War on Drugs. What would happen to America's prison population if all the non-violent drug offenders were suddenly released?

Looks like about 25% of inmates are in for non-violent drug crime. A bit of back-of-the-envelope math gives me about 564,000 individuals, across the United States; 0.18% of the country's population is currently incarcerated for a non-violent drug crime.

So, our for-profit prison system would sue the government, because they'd no longer be meeting their bed quotas. :(

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

I think it's somewhere around 20%, but when analyzing the drug war, you can't just look at it in a vacuum; a lot of violence is driven by the drug war. Drug dealers and producers make for tempting targets because they have a product that is relatively portable given its value, and if you rob them, they can't turn around and call the police (most places; this became a big enough problem in the Emerald Triangle at one point that the cops agreed not to prosecute growers for reporting thefts).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Why do all the guys on the bench in the World Cup matches have to wear those goofy smocks?

I would guess that it's to separate them from the people playing on the field. Like, so they can't jump in on a play then jump back out, and so the referees wouldn't confuse them with players for things like offsides calls.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Baron Bifford posted:

Comparisons with other countries is surprisingly difficult, I couldn't find any statistics for the drug related prison populations for any other North Atlantic countries. Strange. In any case, wikipedia says the proportion of drug offenders to total prisoners in State prison populations stayed steady at 21% and the percentage of Federal prisoners serving time for drug offenses is about 55%, a total of about 2.2 million people. If we got rid of all the drug offenders from prison, that would still leave about 1.5 million people in prison, for an incareration rate of 478 per 100K people, which would be #2 in the world.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dokmo posted:

Comparisons with other countries is surprisingly difficult, I couldn't find any statistics for the drug related prison populations for any other North Atlantic countries. Strange. In any case, wikipedia says the proportion of drug offenders to total prisoners in State prison populations stayed steady at 21% and the percentage of Federal prisoners serving time for drug offenses is about 55%, a total of about 2.2 million people. If we got rid of all the drug offenders from prison, that would still leave about 1.5 million people in prison, for an incareration rate of 478 per 100K people, which would be #2 in the world.

Most North Atlantic countries probably treat drug addiction as a health issue instead of a criminal issue.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Thanatosian posted:

Most North Atlantic countries probably treat drug addiction as a health issue instead of a criminal issue.

Sure, but my point is that even without the high levels of drug related incarcerations, the USA's prison population would still be among the very highest in the world.

edit: found some data, made a graph:

Here you can see that the number of drug incarcerations for the USA is about average for this season of countries, so a reduction of these types of convictions would not significantly alter the ranking of USA's total prison population.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 14, 2014

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Did you sign anything where the crematorium would be after you for the money? You can negotiate a payment plan or a payment on sale of estate, or possibly even get the state to help you out. Hopefully you personally aren't on the hook for any of it.

If you just want the car gone, a scrapyard will most likely come out and take the car away and may even pay you for it. I'm not sure what scrap metal prices are so call around and get quotes.

If there is anything of value on the property, like in the trailer or house, maybe an estate sale could help pay the bills? Otherwise maybe a neighbor would be interested in increasing their property size by buying the land? Either way, it sounds like it may be worth taking a machete and cleaning up the land a bit.

And as a totally out there suggestion, maybe the fire department could help with the bills if you let them use the house/trailer for practice in a controlled-burn scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My waffle iron was purchased in the late 90s for ~$20 and has served me well over 20 years, but it's a pain in the rear end to clean, and frankly, I'd like to make waffles more often, and not with something that says "do not submerge" on it.

A brief search on amazon shows that basically the top 20 waffle irons are in that $20-$40 price range and look about like what I've got now.

I'm willing to spend more... $100 or more. Is there a better waffle iron out there? Everything commercially available looks like cheap plastic crap.