Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Burno posted:

You know about target steerpoints, right?

Yeah I use those all the time. Just never crossed my mind that PPTs are just regular steerpoints as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Question for someone who is good at SEAD. When would you use PK (Position Known) mode for HARMs instead of selecting an active emitter from the HAD or HAS? I was thinking PK could be used against a radar that's not actively emitting at the moment, but then again a HARM can't hit a radar that is off right?

PK mode is for aircraft that don't have a HARM Targeting System. PK is used against fixed SAM sites who's locations have already been determined through ELINT and other sources and allow a pilot without an HTS to fire HARMs in its longest ranged and most accurate flight mode against any emitter that goes active at a known site. The HARM has an Inertial Navigation System and will try to fly to the Lat/Long of the selected PK point but without an active emitter to home in on its probably not going to hit anything. In BMS if you fire a HARM at an active emitter that is in range and within the turn rate limits of the missile, the missile will hit the radar even if it goes offline. Its dead accurate when launched against an emitter that was active. This goes for any mode, once the HARM determines the impact point its going to hit it. Kind of cheaty but there's almost no publicly published information about the secret squirrel stuff the HARM can do so the BMS team just plain doesn't implement any of it rather than try to fake it. Same reason we don't have IFF even though numerous other versions of Falcon 4 have had simplified simulations of it.

Just attempted a Israeli Theater campaign in honor of the over-the-top utter overkill retaliation that's going on over there right now in real life and immediately ran into a snag at the start of the campaign. Israeli F-16s are not modeled with Anti-radiation missiles of any sort and have no mavericks either. Don't know if that's accurate to real life but whatever. The first missions fragged for nearly every F-16 squadron in the theater are SEAD missions against SA-6 SAMs in southern Lebanon prior to OCA strikes. All we have to hit them with is CBUs. My flight was the fourth or fifth in against the cluster of SAMs in that area and guard was filled with dudes getting schwacked by Gainfuls left and right. Look at my target area through the TGP and can't find the radar, even though all the launchers are nicely lined up. Never even get the chance to roll on on target as that SAM knocks my wingman and I out of the sky like its shooting pheasants. Looked at the area in the recon map now that its visible and the friggin radar is inside an office building. All the F-16 squadrons in northern Israel lost about 30-40% of their aircraft in the first hour of the war.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's not been my experience that HARMs always hit. The majority of the time I've fired at an active emitter that's then gone inactive has been a miss.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Was it killed by someone else first?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I don't think so, I'm regularly missing HARMs that I've locked into emitters that were active at launch.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Alright, I guess it happens. The code the HARM uses to home in on a target is the same used by JDAMs and JSOWs and such. It does everything it can to reach a Lat/Long coordinate and the coordinate it gets on an active emitter is perfectly accurate. Maybe wind or something throws them off sometimes, I don't know.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The Mirage 2000 is kind of cool to fly, no HMD though.

If they can get the F-18 to that level, it will be pretty neat.

BMS WARTHOG OWNERS -

If you are like me and do not use the Coolie Switch which is setup to cycle views by default in the Morphine profile, then you can use this code to replace the Coolie Switch Up/Down with a radar elevation slider similar to the way the China Hat works for the TGP zoom. It will allow you to operate the sensors without removing your hand to use the side slider on the throttle.

place this in the Coolie Switch section:
code:
//Coolie Switch
	MapKey(&Throttle, CSD, AXIS(DX_SLIDER_AXIS, -500, 20));
	MapKey(&Throttle, CSU, AXIS(DX_SLIDER_AXIS, 500, 20));
then comment out the throttle slider near the top with leading slashes like here:

code:
//MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, DX_SLIDER_AXIS);
//SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, 0, 0, 5, 0); //Reduce sensitivity in the center
There may be a way to do it so you do not lose an entire Axis, but I didn't see any available DX Axis in the TARGET quick start guide. If anyone wants to jump in and help refine this feel free.

Burno fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 12, 2014

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

Leo Showers posted:

For those who play DCS: A-10C, I finally discovered how to basically hot rearm and load it on the DSMS so everything jives. It's not mega obvious at first and I'm likely the only person wondering about this, but in any case this video I found sums it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovN_d7e-g_4

The tl;dr is on the left MFCD hit stat, hold stat, hit load and then hit stat so load becomes an option on the lower OCBs. Then with load highlighted hit 'LOAD DSMS'. Wait for it to beepboop and it'll change from an asterisk to a bullseye. Whatever loadout it has currently is now loaded into the computer.

What a weight off my shoulders.

You are my god!

You'd think for the N+ million dollars they charge for these systems they could have a better interface.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Meiwaku posted:

You are my god!

You'd think for the N+ million dollars they charge for these systems they could have a better interface.

Yeah I'm not actually sure that the DSMS actually can auto-detect weapons loaded or if it's literally the ground crew uploading the info to the plane and you have to 'refresh' the DSMS to get it to show. In any case I'm still surprised it's not more known, as it's a Pretty loving Big Deal if you want to play online or want to rearm.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Meiwaku posted:

You are my god!

I have yet to see any interface designed for the military to be user friendly. I'm beginning to think its regulation.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think the MFCD interface makes a ton of sense, if you've got a fair unstanding on what is where then it's really easy to navigate, what isn't easy is knowing that reloading the DSMS is the easiest thing to do after reloading. I've done testing because I thought it had to do with the intial loadout but it's pretty clear that it's got to do with whatever is actually hanging onto the plane.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Burno posted:

If you are like me and do not use the Coolie Switch which is setup to cycle views by default in the Morphine profile, then you can use this code to replace the Coolie Switch Up/Down with a radar elevation slider similar to the way the China Hat works for the TGP zoom.

Is there no end to your racism?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BMS campaign is on tomorrow, sunday, at 2pm EST.

We start a new campaign, the Iron Fortress, due to old campaign crashing all the time.

Get your asses ready.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
One issue in the "Rolling Fire" campaign for Korea that seems to have existed since the game was originally released is that the line of HART sites stretched across the DMZ have wonky unit placement. Every unit assigned to garrison the site gets stacked on top of each other, aside from a couple of S-30 AAA guns off to one side. If you ever want to hilariously stack your numbers, all you need to do is lob a bomb on to a HART site. Perhaps the intent of this was to simulate the rather shoddy condition of North Korean equipment as sometimes the D-30 artillery guns at the site will fire and blow themselves all up, presumably the game engine detects the round colliding with other units stacked on top of the gun. North Korea does not require fuses with arming delays, the Great Leader personally makes every round go exactly where it needs to be.

The last thing that went through Kim's mind was green and weighed 500lbs.

This will result in the mission results screen displaying a certain degree of understatement. I hit four different HART sites in one mission for this result. I was awarded a Silver Star for my ability to to be cheesy.

Light Damage

Unlike nearly every other flight simulator on the market Falcon 4 BMS correctly simulates what trees look like in the IR-Spectrum.

IR Spectrum

Visible Spectrum

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Buddy of mine bought the Mi8, so doing some transport helo shenanigans tonight.

I ate my first Huey-RPG on touch-down last night in a mission where I had to deploy troops to start an attack. The men deployed, and I hear a loud bang, and look at my externals. Engine is in flames, tail has been blown off. Check the report, and yep. RPG 7'd.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
On the plus side it happened on the ground, so the destroyed engine means you don't have to risk being a crash victim when the Huey inevitably flies uncontrollably into terrain.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Buddy of mine bought the Mi8, so doing some transport helo shenanigans tonight.

I ate my first Huey-RPG on touch-down last night in a mission where I had to deploy troops to start an attack. The men deployed, and I hear a loud bang, and look at my externals. Engine is in flames, tail has been blown off. Check the report, and yep. RPG 7'd.

We need to fly helicopters together sometime.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Count me in for helicopter shenanigans! Safe landings not guaranteed.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Never mind, I am very wrong

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 13, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Make a mission in DCS with 50 or so dynamic units and you'll see why; just drop a few dozen blue and red forces within a kilometer of each other. Falcon 4 gets away with it by aggregating battalions and flights into simple statistical models whenever they're not within a certain distance of a player in the 3D world. Combat between aggregate units are just dice rolls base on certain values. That's why you sometimes have a Rifle Company of dudes with only AK47s beating a company M1A1 Abrams in an open field. You can see this in the 3D world by setting your radar to GMT mode to track moving targets and slewing it somewhere you haven't recently been that is 20 miles away or more. Any moving battalions in that area will just show up as a large dot on the FCR. When you get within about 20 miles it will resolve into a proper line of vehicles. I've always just rationalized it as the FCR not having the resolution to resolve individual tanks from 30 miles. The bubble in which units aggregate or deaggregate is different depending on unit types. Aircraft become individual units from much further away and anything you've fired on will remain deaggregate even if it leaves the bubble for a period of time. If you look in the "<BMS Install>/Docs/Falcon 4 Legacy Manuals/2 - Realism Patch 5" folder there's a PDF that has a lot of details on how these systems work. They've been unchanged since RP5.

Creating the dynamic campaign in Falcon 4 almost sunk Microprose and the amount of cash it ate up certainly didn't help them when the company really started to struggle later on. Eagle Dynamics would have to start from scratch and develop a similar system to reduce the amount of processing individual units use. Currently it doesn't take a lot of dynamic units in the mission map to murder your system's performance. You can place static units until you're blue in the face but they don't do anything. Also its ED so you know that a dynamic campaign would end up being a $60 DLC.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 13, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Sauer posted:

Make a mission in DCS with 50 or so dynamic units and you'll see why. Falcon 4 gets away with it by aggregating battalions and flights into simple statistical models whenever they're not within a certain distance of a player in the 3D world. Combat between aggregate units are just dice rolls base on certain values. That's why you sometimes have a Rifle Company of dudes with only AK47s beating a company M1A1 Abrams in an open field. You can see this in the 3D world by setting your radar to GMT mode to track moving targets and slewing it somewhere you haven't recently been that is 20 miles away or more. Any moving battalions in that area will just show up as a large dot on the FCR. When you get within about 20 miles it will resolve into a proper line of vehicles. I've always just rationalized it as the FCR not having the resolution to resolve individual tanks from 30 miles. The bubble in which units aggregate or deaggregate is different depending on unit types. Aircraft become individual units from much further away and anything you've fired on will remain deaggregate even if it leaves the bubble for a period of time. If you look in the "<BMS Install>/Docs/Falcon 4 Legacy Manuals/2 - Realism Patch 5" folder there's a PDF that has a lot of details on how these systems work. They've been unchanged since RP5.

Creating the dynamic campaign in Falcon 4 almost sunk Microprose and the amount of cash it ate up certainly didn't help them when the company really started to struggle later on. Eagle Dynamics would have to start from scratch and develop a similar system to reduce the amount of processing individual units use. Currently it doesn't take a lot of dynamic units in the mission map to murder your system's performance. You can place static units until you're blue in the face but they don't do anything. Also its ED so you know that a dynamic campaign would end up being a $60 DLC.

My grievances are probably very misdirected, I just always run out of fun in DCS. I have a pretty powerful computer so my system tends not to struggle with high amounts of units, but I'm in a very small minority. I guess I just really want DCS to have more things to simulate than turning off my oxygen, having my engines die, going into a dive and making a miraculous landing (which is always fun) imo.

Edit: I'd like to chat with you on steam about this, actually. Mind PMing me, providing a link?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If I'd have a campaign like BMS with new modules like DCS, i'd pay 60 bux for that.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
DCS is a pretty good game for dogfighting with jets in the FC3 module. It definitely has a more visceral feel to it than BMS does when you just want to deathmatch your buddies. Assuming you don't mind missiles that act like the air is water. Other than that its a button pusher's sim. Its great for people that want to play with an airplane rather than participate in a war.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Personally I think DCS should be more ground attack oriented than A-A oriented....but I just want to tear up Georgia in a F-111 or B-1.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Not every object in BMS has a solid square collision mesh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uITkTkLLQEU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If Vaha sleeps in again today I'll put up a Dogfighting server until he wakes his rear end up.

Edit: Vaha is awake and gay.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BMS rolling.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 5, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

I am gay. BMS rolling.

Neato. You guys should play like all drat day so that when I'm done doing real work, there are still games going. Or something.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Had to bail early, but 6 Air to Air kills in 2 flights ain't bad. Nice to have a target rich environment.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

The BARCAP in the second mission was largely uneventful until everyone was heading home and my RWR lights up with with maybe 4 MiG flights coming in from the north. I didn't have the missiles or the balls for something like that, so I just turned and burned home.

I heard we lost 4 aircraft on that mission; 1 to a fuel leak caused by battle damage. And then Vaha killed the server before I landed, corrupting my ACMI tape. :argh:

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I was one of the ones that died, I killed a MIG-23 close in with guns and was "destroyed by debris"

RIP

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
First Interdiction mission I was destroyed while trying to employ MK-82s with Snakeye kits that the AI ATO had decided was the best weapon for engaging Rocket Artillery. Even though we had a half hour before takeoff time the game would not let me set a different ordinance load. Some starving conscript hit me with a Strela and my plane just blew the gently caress up. Tiberious had more luck and managed to take out two of something with his Snakeyes and landed safely.

Our second Interdiction mission was to attack a tank company that managed to get over the bridge that Burno blew up in our first sorties of the day. In-flight tutorials for Tiberious on how to use Steerpoint datalinks, slewing the FCR and TGP to a steerpoint and employing the AGM-65D. We both managed to get successful hits with nearly all of our missiles. We killed nothing. Every target we struck with a giant fuckoff anti-tank missile was damaged rather than destroyed. The majority of our hits were on T-55 tanks. North Korea has an entire company of tankers who are the luckiest motherfuckers on the planet. I can imagine a modern MBT maybe surviving a near miss from a Maverick but a T-55 can be breached by something as whimpy as an RPG-7, a Maverick should have blown them into little tiny pieces.

When that tank company moves on Kunsan we're hosed. They're going to fire one round that will ricochet of the control tower, fly to into mysteriously open door of the ammo bunker and start a brew up that will destroy the entire base in a series of hilarious unlucky mishaps.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Sauer posted:

When that tank company moves on Kunsan we're hosed. They're going to fire one round that will ricochet of the control tower, fly to into mysteriously open door of the ammo bunker and start a brew up that will destroy the entire base in a series of hilarious unlucky mishaps.

I was wondering if the A-10s at Kunsan would be of any use, but apparently not. You'd think that something billed as "anti-tank" would be able to carry more than 4 Mavericks. The answer appears to be LGBs or cluster bombs. It's an A-10A though, so I'm lost in the cockpit.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That's honestly the first time I've ever seen Mavericks fail to completely obliterate a tank. Who knows what the hell happened.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
I know there was a post about hypoxia in DCS, but :effort: to go back and quote because I'm tired as gently caress and women, well, they can go gently caress themselves on top of it.

At least the vid is amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=544-brHwMIg

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I may have hosed up while installing Battle of Balkans or something the first time I tried it. Giving it another shot with a new install and now other squadrons have proper ordinance and such. Going to give it an honest try because it really does seem like one of the best designed theaters out there. Now if only I could stop getting shot down by the SA-10 that must have fallen off a truck in Serbia. The terrain in the Balkans is rugged enough that NAP tactics would work pretty good against it once ELINT figures out where the hell it is. No HTS and AGM-88s in this theater, because those would be to easy and its meant to challenge human players.

Look the Block-50/52 has an actual nose in BfB.

And the 52-CFT+ is a fat bitch.

^^ Kind of want to reinstall DCS now. The SU-25 is a ton of fun to fly even in a sandbox.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 14, 2014

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I'd definitely pay $60 for a DCS dynamic campaign. I feel like I've got a really solid grasp on the A10C now. But... there's not much left to do in it. I tried grabbing a custom campaign from the DCS forums but I don't think it's meant for the latest version, so the JTAC is bugged and won't ever respond to you. AXEMAN TALK TO ME I HAVE BOMBS AND GUNS PLEASE SAY SOMETHING

I've been learning and practicing with the F-16 in BMS though, and it's not too bad. I was really used to using all the different hats and poo poo in the A-10C so having to use simpler keyboard commands is kind of jarring, but it's cool. Tonight I worked on familiarizing myself with the FCR, HMDS, AIM-9Xs, and AMRAAMs. AMRAAMs are tons of fun, but I'll need to practice more to figure out how to deal with more than 1 target at a time. For some reason TMS right wasn't jumping over to the next target after sending off my first AMRAAM. There are a surprisingly large amount of really great tutorials on youtube. Tomorrow I think I'm going to learn about HARMs which are something I've been itching to use.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Propagandist posted:

For some reason TMS right wasn't jumping over to the next target after sending off my first AMRAAM.

Was your radar in TWS mode? I think that's required to get that behavior, and to be able to launch multiple AMRAAMs at a time.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Seems like it was. I think I tried it in TMS and RWS mode. Do you have to do it when in soft-lock mode, not hard lock? I think I was using TMS up twice to get the hard lock, releasing the AMRAAM, then trying TMS right to switch to a new target. On that note, can you even launch an AMRAAM with just the soft-lock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Propagandist posted:

Seems like it was. I think I tried it in TMS and RWS mode. Do you have to do it when in soft-lock mode, not hard lock? I think I was using TMS up twice to get the hard lock, releasing the AMRAAM, then trying TMS right to switch to a new target. On that note, can you even launch an AMRAAM with just the soft-lock?

A soft lock is the best way to employ the AMRAAM. The AMRAAM does no require a radar lock in order to home in on a target. It only needs to be informed of the target's position, course and speed and then the missile figures out how to get to run the intercept itself. In RWS mode you can only acquire course and speed by going into Single Target Track (STT), or hard locking. That's also what is happening when you TMS-Up twice, you're going STT. TWS is able to provide tracking information to missiles just by being in TWS mode. You only need tell the FCR what your target of interest is by pressing TMS-Up once also called "bugging" the target. TMS-Right will then step through targets in order of priority. You don't even need to TMS-Up; you can start using TMS-Right immediately and the FCR will "bug" the highest priority target. When you fire a missile the FCR remembers which target you shot at and will keep the AMRAAM up to date on what its doing.

See my huge post a few pages back for more details. And read the manual.