Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

ImAMinister posted:

Oh, well in the meantime here's some content.

The rest of the story is here: http://m.walb.com/#!/newsDetail/25991974

In an attempt to apprehend a suspect, the deputy saw it fit to shoot a dog, but managed instead to shoot a child. What can be done about something like this?

Make Coffee County deputies qualify on the pistol more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

wateroverfire posted:

Make Coffee County deputies qualify on the pistol more often.
Have you seen what ammo costs these days? Cheaper to just settle when a deputy shoots a kid.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So I've seen plenty of police apologists on this thread. I'm kind of curious how they'll react to something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmdAS_Z6CY

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

E-Tank posted:

So I've seen plenty of police apologists on this thread. I'm kind of curious how they'll react to something like this.

Sucks that dude's dog got shot. Giving officers better training in how to deal with animals seems like a good idea.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Sucks that dude's dog got shot. Giving officers better training in how to deal with animals seems like a good idea.

Yeah totally sucks. Too bad it's not an isolated incident.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/04/30/cop-shoots-dog/

http://dogmurders.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/DogsShotbyPolice

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Unless one officer has been serial killing dogs across multiple years and jurisdictions then yeah they're isolated incidents because all they have in common is that a cop and a dog are both involved.

Maybe some of cops really hate dogs and take any opportunity to shoot them and then do the doggie murder equivalent of sprinkling crack on the body, idk. It seems more likely that when officers have to enter areas with a dog the dog often becomes aggressive, because they're territorial and protective, and gets shot because the shooter didn't feel like getting mauled that day.

So we should train officers so that happens less, but sometimes it's going to happen and it's not a thing to get super outraged over.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's just you declaring people shouldn't be offended by something though. There's no reason that police should get to shoot dogs any more than I should have gotten to when I was a canvasser.

E-Tank posted:

I saw that one. I enjoyed the contrast between the sheepishness of the two cops in the foreground and the bullethead in the background with folded arms like "I'm here in case you get unruly, civilian."

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

wateroverfire posted:

Unless one officer has been serial killing dogs across multiple years and jurisdictions then yeah they're isolated incidents because all they have in common is that a cop and a dog are both involved.

Wait what? This is a ridiculous qualifier. How many dogs or people for that matter, do cops have to shoot for you to be satisfied that there is a systemic overuse and excusing of violence in the police?

quote:

So we should train officers so that happens less, but sometimes it's going to happen and it's not a thing to get super outraged over.

You don't get to decide what people should or shouldn't be outraged over.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
War is just a series of isolated events. All it has in common is a dude in one uniform and a dude in a different uniform.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Berk Berkly posted:

Wait what? This is a ridiculous qualifier. How many dogs or people for that matter, do cops have to shoot for you to be satisfied that there is a systemic overuse and excusing of violence in the police?

IDK. I'm not as invested in hating the cops as a lot of people here so conflating a bunch of unrelated incidents doesn't seem appealing. Maybe it would have to be like half the dogs.

edit: Half the dogs and 20% of the people.

Berk Berkly posted:

You don't get to decide what people should or shouldn't be outraged over.

Being outraged over my opinion about what people should be outraged about is meta and dumb and you should probably stop doing things like that.

SedanChair posted:

That's just you declaring people shouldn't be offended by something though. There's no reason that police should get to shoot dogs any more than I should have gotten to when I was a canvasser

Police interactions with dogs are definitely just like your interactions with them as a canvasser because

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

Police interactions with dogs are definitely just like your interactions with them as a canvasser because

Uh the burden of proof is actually on you as to why they're different.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Do you think that police should not shoot someone who has a gun pointed at them? Maybe that person just wants to hang out and have a good time, and pointing a gun at them is their way of communicating that? Well, it's the same with dogs. Maybe they want to come say hi and get petted, and maybe they're going straight for your jugular. Unless you think cops are suicidally altruistic (LMAO), they have to err on the side of not getting killed.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

wateroverfire posted:

IDK. I'm not as invested in hating the cops as a lot of people here so conflating a bunch of unrelated incidents doesn't seem appealing. Maybe it would have to be like half the dogs.

edit: Half the dogs and 20% of the people.

Really? "You just hate the cops" is your actual argument? And you are painfully abusing the word 'conflating' there I'm afraid. Police officer shoots dog and Different police officer shoots another dog are exactly disparate behaviors in the context of police violence.

quote:

Being outraged over my opinion about what people should be outraged about is meta and dumb and you should probably stop doing things like that.

So you were just vacuously trolling then. Got it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Dogs don't have guns

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Uh the burden of proof is actually on you as to why they're different.

Actually it's not because dude you're being ridiculous and anyway I'm sure you have a fine explanation of how leaving a leaflet on somebody's doorknob is the same as busting down the door and storming in to arrest them.

Just hypothetically, as a canvasser you can drop your materials on the porch and leave. As a cop you don't really have that luxury in most situations.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

Dogs don't have guns

The dog has clamped on to your leg. While you're momentarily distracted, the suspect jumps out and shoots you. You're dead, because you didn't shoot the dog.

That's why they shoot dogs. Hope this helps.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure they actually do it because they're afraid the dog is going to bite them, period.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

The child has clamped on to your leg. The child's head swivels 180 degrees to look up at you and says "GET READY FOR A SURPRISE!" While you're momentarily distracted, the suspect jumps out and shoots you. You're dead, because you didn't shoot the child.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Berk Berkly posted:

Really? "You just hate the cops" is your actual argument?

What did you think your statement merited?

Berk Berkly posted:

There's nothing in this statement except that you think the cops systematically overuse force and that it's too often excused. Which...ok, fine, sure, that's a way to feel. There's nothing to argue with, though. It's just chest thumping about how you, too, dislike the police.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SedanChair posted:

I'm pretty sure they actually do it because they're afraid the dog is going to bite them, period.

Probably. Being bitten by a dog sucks and a big dog could legit maim a guy.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

If that were at all a realistic situation and not your fever dream, I'm sure we'd see a lot more cops shooting kids with impunity.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

wateroverfire posted:

Just hypothetically, as a canvasser you can drop your materials on the porch and leave. As a cop you don't really have that luxury in most situations.
Police are incapable of walking backwards. Police are also incapable of utilizing fences, cars, trash cans, trees, small changes in elevation, any of the half dozen things commonly carried by police and designed to subdue humans that are much larger than dogs, spoken language, or higher reasoning when presented with dogs. It is extremely ableist to condemn them for this severe disability inherent to their species when they resort to literally their only option which is to shoot at the dog and hit a child instead.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

If that were at all a realistic situation and not your fever dream, I'm sure we'd see a lot more cops shooting kids with impunity.

Ah, OK. Can you give me an example of a time when an MS-13 hitman used his Roman war molosser to pin down and execute a cop?

Or anything resembling the scenario you outlined?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

wateroverfire posted:

What did you think your statement merited?

There's nothing in this statement except that you think the cops systematically overuse force and that it's too often excused. Which...ok, fine, sure, that's a way to feel. There's nothing to argue with, though. It's just chest thumping about how you, too, dislike the police.

This is the Police Reform thread, and and I'm specifically pointing out your asinine denial, despite your best efforts to shift and shrug off the burden of your own position, that these were isolated incidents and no one should really be upset over them.

Have we come full circle with you now retracting your position? Because it looks like you are both trying to backpedal under the cover of some weakly tossed strawmen as cover.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 13, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wonder why people came up with the phrase "You don't shoot a dog for barking."

I mean, cops have pepper spray and tasers and hard blunt objects to strike with, but I guess that's just too drat hard to do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

Wonder why people came up with the phrase "You don't shoot a dog for barking."

I mean, cops have pepper spray and tasers and hard blunt objects to strike with, but I guess that's just too drat hard to do.
I guess guns are more reliable than those things...except when they kill a child instead by accident.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Seriously, if a dog was coming at me and I had a gun and an ASP baton on my belt, I'd go for the baton.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

Ah, OK. Can you give me an example of a time when an MS-13 hitman used his Roman war molosser to pin down and execute a cop?

Or anything resembling the scenario you outlined?

It's hard to when the standard operating procedure seems to be "when in doubt, shoot the dog".

Cops do terrible poo poo sometimes (as do many non-cops with guns), but it's really silly to fixate on them shooting dogs when there's a clear rational reason why they do it that you're blinded to by emotion.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It's hard to when the standard operating procedure seems to be "when in doubt, shoot the dog".

Cops do terrible poo poo sometimes (as do many non-cops with guns), but it's really silly to fixate on them shooting dogs when there's a clear rational reason why they do it that you're blinded to by emotion.

So the lack of dog/perp combo-kill examples is because police always pre-emptively shoot the dog? Maybe I'm too emotional to process your argument correctly, does that about sum it up?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

So the lack of dog/perp combo-kill examples is because police always pre-emptively shoot the dog? Maybe I'm too emotional to process your argument correctly, does that about sum it up?

That sums it up perfectly. Cops pretty much always shoot dogs if they aren't sure how it's going to behave, which prevents the thing it is intended to prevent from happening.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
OK, so why shouldn't they just shoot kids the same way? The number of times a kid has pinned down a cop so their perpdad can kill 'em appears to be equal to the number of times a dog has done the same thing. You admit this.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

OK, so why shouldn't they just shoot kids the same way? The number of times a kid has pinned down a cop so their perpdad can kill 'em appears to be equal to the number of times a dog has done the same thing. You admit this.

Because kids aren't dogs and you know that's an inane comparison?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But why is it not an inane comparison to compare dogs to killer cop-distracting warhounds when you can't provide any evidence of their danger?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

But why is it not an inane comparison to compare dogs to killer cop-distracting warhounds when you can't provide any evidence of their danger?

It's not an inane comparison because cops are human beings and can't distinguish your adorable pit bull best friend from a trained attack dog in a split second, and they need to err on the side of not getting killed. Sorry that this is so hard for you to understand.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
You're basically asking me to prove that weed killer kills weeds, when I don't have any weeds in my yard and have sprayed it with weed killer. Well, since the weed killer killed the weed before they could grow, it's hard to show you an example in my yard of a weed that has been killed by it.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Well poo poo guys, I guess we're just lucky the de facto procedure was never that cops just shoot harlots on-sight. If so, they could shoot all women dead and they would never need to reevaluate this procedure because we haven't seen any recent examples of loose women luring cops into booby traps so it must be a proper procedure.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It's not an inane comparison because cops are human beings and can't distinguish your adorable pit bull best friend from a trained attack dog in a split second, and they need to err on the side of not getting killed. Sorry that this is so hard for you to understand.

Can they distinguish an innocent person from one who's about to attack them? Should they be expected to or can they just put two into everyone they run across?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The problem seems to be that police in general has this can-do attitude where they consider themselves a one man army that can resolve any situation. What instead happens is that they're often woefully unprepared and immediately resort to violence when faced with a problem. "Dog barking the back of yard? Animal control? What's that? Trained professionals accustomed to dealing with this kind of thing? I don't need them, I'll go in with my gun." I mean what the gently caress. The flash bang incident earlier was exactly the same only with more guns involved. "If we know the perp is in the building? gently caress off man we don't do surveillance. We have grenades and assault rifles and that's all we need. What's the worst that could happen?" And for that matter what exactly had the 19-year old the deputy was chasing earlier actually done? The article doesn't even mention it. Was his crimes really that severe that the officer couldn't simply retreat and find another route when confronted by the dog in a backyard he knew nothing about? The 10 year old got loving shot because he wouldn't even consider just letting the perp run.

The reason this pisses me off is because we've had an increase in the police officer homicides in my country. It used to be between 0-2 yearly nationally, this year we're up to 8 and last it was 5. In almost every single incident some loving nutjob officer decides that the only way to deal with the drugged up guy screaming from his apartment armed with a knife is sending in 3 officers with their guns. Waiting him out? Impossible. Going in with knife vests, riot shields, batons and going medieval on his rear end? Nope. 3 officers in standard gear with guns loaded is the best that they could come up with. Then the procedure basically goes like this.

1. They tear gas the guy and demand a surrender.
2. They flashbang the guy and demand a surrender.
3. The fire a warning shot while demanding a surrender. (this is the part where the perp usually goes into flight or fight mode and rushes the officers)
4. They shoot and since the police use hollow-point bullets (:sweden:) the guy is usually dead within the hour.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

Can they distinguish an innocent person from one who's about to attack them? Should they be expected to or can they just put two into everyone they run across?

Well, maybe the guy pointing a gun at them means no harm and just wants to say hi. They can't take the risk that they're wrong, so they shoot him. If a dog is running at them, it's the same deal. They can't take the risk that the dog is friendly because it probably isn't, given how territorial and defensive dogs are, so they have to treat it like a guy pointing a gun at them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
People who take the risk that the dog running at them isn't a killer warbeast: literally everyone not in an active combat zone.

I mean it's really not hard to tell pretty drat quickly what a dog intends to do. They aren't unknowable beasts from the beyond for fucks sake.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

4. They shoot and since the police use hollow-point bullets (:sweden:) the guy is usually dead within the hour.

Well, better to use JHP rounds than have ball rounds zipping through the walls. But yeah that's the pattern of escalation. However in the US warning shots are a big no-no, shooting is deadly force period.

• Locked thread