Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pocket posted:

Nibali just givin Contador the death stare!

It's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Oooo nibali cracked right at the end. Can't wait till we get some bigger climbs

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

This is already one of the best Tours in a long time.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lol NBC has a Talansky Clock

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
My thighs hurt just watching Nibs and Porte chase Contador.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm so glad Froome broke both of his hands.

Also Blel Kadri rode straight into my heart today. That smile... (no homo)

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Lol @ Sky's plan B, they'll probably get 3rd in the GC

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Pocket posted:

Lol @ Sky's plan B, they'll probably get 3rd in the GC

But Wigs can ride the Vue-oh, lol

:froome:

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

drat that was amazing

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I don't think so. Nibali didn't need to do anything else but stick to Contador's wheel. Once the finish line was in sight, he didn't need to bust himself further. Beating Contador across the line wasn't going to happen at that point (and wouldn't have gained him any time anyway) and giving up 3 seconds to him in the GC doesn't really mean anything.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
That was great, monday will be be glorious.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
For a guy who supposedly has no team around him, Contador had quite a nice train going there.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Clugg posted:

But Wigs can ride the Vue-oh, lol

:froome:

Considering how Wiggins deal with wet stages he should count himself lucky he's not in the tour

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Clugg posted:

I don't think so. Nibali didn't need to do anything else but stick to Contador's wheel. Once the finish line was in sight, he didn't need to bust himself further. Beating Contador across the line wasn't going to happen at that point (and wouldn't have gained him any time anyway) and giving up 3 seconds to him in the GC doesn't really mean anything.

He looked cooked compared to Contador. Wait till the climbs and gaps get bigger.

Paddyb posted:

For a guy who supposedly has no team around him, Contador had quite a nice train going there.
:ssh:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Clugg posted:

He knows he's not as strong in the mountains and contador has a stronger team. He wasn't going to give any time unless he had too

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Fair enough, I wasn't watching that closely. I thought he was looking pretty good until just near the end there, we'll see how they go in the Alps.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Saw this which i thought i'd share

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Where're the dales on that chart?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Stage 8 (Tomblaine > Gérardmer La Mauselaine)

EN - The Flamme rouge - The last kilometre - Stage 8
EN - Summary - Stage 8 (Tomblaine > Gérardmer La Mauselaine)

Full Results

Contador is now the top favourite.

Menchov stripped of TDF results

Stage 9 Gérardmer / Mulhouse 170KM

EN - Stage Analysis - Stage 9 (Gérardmer > Mulhouse)

Mountain passes & hills

Km 11.5 - Col de la Schlucht (1 140 m) 8.6 km at 4.5% - category 2
Km 41.0 - Col du Wettstein 7.7 km at 4.1% - category 3
Km 70.0 - Côte des Cinq Châteaux 4.5 km at 6.1% - category 3
Km 86.0 - Côte de Gueberschwihr (559 m) 4.1 km at 7.9% - category 2
Km 120.0 - Le Markstein (1 183 m) 10.8 km at 5.4% - category 1
Km 127.0 - Grand Ballon 1.4 km at 8.6% - category 3

Intermediate sprint & Finish

Weather forecast & map

Wind 25km/h

Stage 9 Winner odds

Time schedule

Start : 13h10
Finish : 17h23 (42km/h) 17h35 (40km/h) 17h48 (38km/h)

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Nibali reckons he had the wrong gear on that last stretch:

quote:

On the final climb Alberto kept attacking but I managed to follow him quite comfortably," said 2013 Giro d'Italia winner Nibali of the stage's final climb.

"I got the wrong gear and he accelerated straight afterwards.

"The important thing was that I was there. He took three seconds in the last 100 metres. I don't know how significant that can be.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I don't gamble but I really wanted to put a bet on Contador, now the odds have changed. :(

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

What's the expected outcome between Contador, Nibali and Porte for time trial, hypothetically if all are giving 100%?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

This is a stage Sagan might have a chance at too. Very surprised.

Sagan wouldnt win a stage like this in a billion years

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Nibali's death glare at Contador all the way up the climb was fantastic.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Bolivar posted:

What's the expected outcome between Contador, Nibali and Porte for time trial, hypothetically if all are giving 100%?

Contador has turned in some amazing TTs, and in the 3rd week he is strong. On paper Contador out TTs Nibali, no clue about Porte, he's never really featured in the GC enough for me to pay attention, he's not like Froome's 2nd place to Wiggins TT domination from two years back that is sure.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Porte has a 4th at a worlds TT and he's never really pushed 100% during a tour to give a proper showing. He's always been looking after someone.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

A Sunday in Hell is on Iplayer! Never been able to track down a copy so I'm pumped to finally be able to see it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Just finished watching today's stage. Golf was a bit slower than usual. That was pretty impressive from Saxo on the final climb. I really hope Nibali can hang on to the jersey over Contador and the next Sky doped rider.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Contador can put in a mean dig on a steep climb while Nibali is more of a diesel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Still B.A.E posted:

Nibali reckons he had the wrong gear on that last stretch:

Was he bottomed out? Wouldn't that be the only way it would be an issue?

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Portes first GT he did well. Got the young rider award and came top 10 I think, and hes got a Paris-Nice dont forget. Im biased coz he lives down the road from me and see him around all the time in summer, but I recon hes on for a podium. I dont know hes got much for nibbles or bert currently though.

Talansky is the next TJ isnt he? A bit of a whinging tool who has more excuses than wins... although I guess hes ahead of TJ with the Dauphine.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Talansky has a bit of humbleness over him and a more positive attitude from what i've seen so far.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone who said this'll be a boring Tour looks really dumb. What a great first week :D

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Anyone who said this'll be a boring Tour looks really dumb. What a great first week :D
It totally could have been though. They really need to never have a prologue ever again.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

There was another death glare we all missed yeserday :

Don't text and drive ride :

Denis Menchovs the silent prosecution

Bolivar posted:

Chris Horner : Between 30sec to 2min advantage in the TT for contador over Nibali

For Porte : http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?=&id=140611

17 at World Championships 2013- ITT
4 at Stage 11 TDF 2013 (ITT): Avranches › Mont-Saint-Michel
5 Stage 19 TDF 2012 (ITT): Bonneval › Chartres

Porte could beat contador in a TT but they are pretty close.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The stares they were giving each other reminded me alot of contador and schlecks battle up tourmalet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fio8YDfAoLs

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Mr.Nice posted:

Chris Horner : Between 30sec to 2min advantage in the TT for contador over Nibali

For Porte : http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?=&id=140611

17 at World Championships 2013- ITT
4 at Stage 11 TDF 2013 (ITT): Avranches › Mont-Saint-Michel
5 Stage 19 TDF 2012 (ITT): Bonneval › Chartres

Porte could beat contador in a TT but they are pretty close.

Thanks, it looks like a perfect setting for TDF excitement. Contador basically needs to have #1 spot after the last mountain stage and then he should be able to hold on to it in TT. Nibali needs to save that #1 and 1-2 minutes time gap to TT. Porte has a bunch of aces up his sleeve.
:snoop:

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I just hope we see a Nibali descending masterclass at some point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPXIdGy1iM0

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Blaisedell posted:

I just hope we see a Nibali descending masterclass at some point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPXIdGy1iM0

When i first saw today's profile i thought he might have a go on the descent but i think it's a little too far from the finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
As expected a big breakaway today with 17 riders : Gallopin, Ten Dam, Konig, B. Feillu, T.Dumoulin, Vichot, Albasini, Gastauer, Durasek, Wyss, Herrada, Moinard, Navarro De Marchi, Voeckler, Spilak, Paulinho, Taaramae, J.Rodríguez, Quemeneur, Pate y Mendes

Edit Peloton wasn't happy with the break and caught them. T.Martin trying now.

Most broadcasts start in 30 min (14h15 CET)

http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/
http://www.cyclingfans.com/tour-de-france/live
http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

Mr.Nice fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 13, 2014