Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Senerio posted:

Every archetype that's fun is weak, and every archetype that's strong is boring as hell or just no fun to play against.

Elemental Heroes. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Masked Heroes are the best heroes. :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guys, Neo-spacian Elemental Heroes are clearly the only ones worth playing. :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Destiny Heroes or bust.

:v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Guys, Neo-spacian Elemental Heroes are clearly the only ones worth playing. :colbert:

I really wish Neo-Spacians were actually playable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All the hate for Judgment Dragon is absolutely justified. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g7bsPj4BGQ

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Ep 11 of ARC-V was pretty great. Yuzu's a lost cause, but I really hope these LDS guys stick around cause they seem pretty cool, which surprised the hell out of me.

Also, in their duel, they made a big deal out of Masumi using a card to fuse two monsters in her hand, but... I thought you could already do that. Like, that's what makes fusion bearable at all instead of just tedious. Did they change the rules for it somewhere down the line?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Momomo posted:

Ep 11 of ARC-V was pretty great. Yuzu's a lost cause, but I really hope these LDS guys stick around cause they seem pretty cool, which surprised the hell out of me.

Also, in their duel, they made a big deal out of Masumi using a card to fuse two monsters in her hand, but... I thought you could already do that. Like, that's what makes fusion bearable at all instead of just tedious. Did they change the rules for it somewhere down the line?

No, fusions basic mechanics are the same. It's probably just anime being anime.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The anime is trying to teach the audience how to play the game. Surprise reaction to new things is definitely better than Yuma going "I AM DUMB, HOW DOES THIS WORK!?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Destiny Heroes or bust.

:v:

His deck was one of the reasons why Aster/Exo was one of my fave characters in GX. The duel when he first busted out the Destiny Heroes (and proceeded to stomp Jaden) was also one of my favorite duels in any YGO series.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nyaa posted:

The anime is trying to teach the audience how to play the game. Surprise reaction to new things is definitely better than Yuma going "I AM DUMB, HOW DOES THIS WORK!?"

Or, alternatively: "Wait, gently caress it's been so long since this mechanic was relevant, how does it work?"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

And to be fair, not every Fusion card lets you fuse from the hand.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From the Super starter:

And suddenly I feel like I can run just one Round Table and Terraforming on my Noble Knight Deck

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

From the Super starter:

And suddenly I feel like I can run just one Round Table and Terraforming on my Noble Knight Deck

Yeah I was expecting to get the new Field/Starting rules with this. Hopefully we get the new End Phase/End of Turn rulings soon also.

http://www.yugioh-card.com/japan/notice/revision/#date20140710
OCG ruling changes regarding the End Phase and how card effects that end in the End Phase will now be applied to the end of the turn. This affects a massive amount of cards, and will eventually be incorporated into our game.

Goes into affect in the OCG on July 10th.

Example: Effect Veiler now works against things like Kuribandit, Bujin Yamato and Justice of Prophecy

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zackcat posted:

Example: Effect Veiler now works against things like Kuribandit, Bujin Yamato and Justice of Prophecy

About loving time, that ruling has been an eyesore for me ever since I first attempted to stop Yamato with Veiler all the way back in February. :shepicide:

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

About loving time, that ruling has been an eyesore for me ever since I first attempted to stop Yamato with Veiler all the way back in February. :shepicide:

Well it made sense before since Veiler stopped working in the End Phase and the other effects activated in the end phase, and how you can resolve things in your chosen order, but now with text changes to End of Turn for Veiler (and about 100 cards), it will be easier to understand and just a more straightforward thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
List is up

No new Forbidden
Limited: Goyo Guardian, Geargiagear
Semilimited: Magician of Faith, Formula Synchron, Reinforcements of the Army (My Nobles right now :circlefap:)
No longer limited: Mirror Force, Dimensional Prison.

Outside of Warriors getting a push and the return of Goyo, no important changes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Formula getting its collar loosened, wow. I guess they don't care about people summoning tons of Quasars.

Man, Goyo seems like it'd be extra strength crazy in a format with Xyz.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 3, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

no important changes.
I like how we have come to a point where Mirror Force unbanned is consider an unimportant change.:ghost:

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Nyaa posted:

I like how we have come to a point where Mirror Force unbanned is consider an unimportant change.:ghost:

It's been a pretty bad card for years though. I am surprised it hasn't went to three long ago.

Blackwings is crying tears of happiness, having back it's best synchro monster, but I really don't see it shaping much. The best decks in the game currently have mandatory effects that get around his effects (ie. Hands, Madolche) or just outright can't be killed in battle without a lot of support (ie. Bujins). I am curious to see how it does in today's YGO though.

Edit: I have been playing a AF-The World Lock deck with Pendulums on DN.

Here was my latest victim.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 4, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Goyo is back to help push Cosmic Dragons/Yang Zing when they release in the TCG. They haven't done anything over in the OCG, so Konami wants to help give them a bigger push when we get DUEA over here.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Dexie posted:

Goyo is back to help push Cosmic Dragons/Yang Zing when they release in the TCG. They haven't done anything over in the OCG, so Konami wants to help give them a bigger push when we get DUEA over here.

Right, right. Those dudes. We will see how they do with Goyo in tow.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Zackcat posted:

It's been a pretty bad card for years though. I am surprised it hasn't went to three long ago.

Blackwings is crying tears of happiness, having back it's best synchro monster, but I really don't see it shaping much. The best decks in the game currently have mandatory effects that get around his effects (ie. Hands, Madolche) or just outright can't be killed in battle without a lot of support (ie. Bujins). I am curious to see how it does in today's YGO though.

Edit: I have been playing a AF-The World Lock deck with Pendulums on DN.

Here was my latest victim.

I don't don't know much about the way yugioh is now, other than the rules, so how is a card that at least seems to be very broken to me like mirror force bad?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Obscil posted:

I don't don't know much about the way yugioh is now, other than the rules, so how is a card that at least seems to be very broken to me like mirror force bad?

More than bad, is obsolete now. There tons of option to revive monsters, lots of destruction negation effects and so very few decks are affected by Mirror Force

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zackcat posted:

Right, right. Those dudes. We will see how they do with Goyo in tow.

It won't make a lick of a difference for them. Both Satellaknights and Shadolls have been walking right over them in the OCG and that comes down 2 two cards. Midrash and Shock Master. Both of those cards can put a complete stop to both their floating and enemy turn synchroing. Luckily Shock Master is banned in the TCG but that only means that shadolls will be even more dominant since that card is currently the only reason that Satellaknights can even beat Shadolls.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I haven't touched Yu-gi-oh since the last DS game and I was wondering if the new 3DS game is salvageable, because I was considering picking it up with the US release. I don't really care about online play, but I really liked the fact that you can battle your own recipes and that there are a fairly large variety of premade AI decks to battle. Is the new game anything like this or is it irredeemable garbage like I heard some people say it is.

Also, gently caress I have no clue what any of the archetypes you guys are mentioning are.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

A Meat posted:

I haven't touched Yu-gi-oh since the last DS game and I was wondering if the new 3DS game is salvageable, because I was considering picking it up with the US release. I don't really care about online play, but I really liked the fact that you can battle your own recipes and that there are a fairly large variety of premade AI decks to battle. Is the new game anything like this or is it irredeemable garbage like I heard some people say it is.

Also, gently caress I have no clue what any of the archetypes you guys are mentioning are.

Well the European had its release recently and it was pretty horrible. They ripped out entire sections of content from the original Japanese release (the Card Database and Device modes), went from 40 playable characters to only 12, and finally like all YGO games, is a set or so behind. I don't know if they plan to complete the game for the US release, but it would seem to be very weird to do so, and completely piss off the European market in the process.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zackcat posted:

Well the European had its release recently and it was pretty horrible. They ripped out entire sections of content from the original Japanese release (the Card Database and Device modes), went from 40 playable characters to only 12, and finally like all YGO games, is a set or so behind.

More then a set. Try a year behind.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey do you like to summon a shitload of Xyz and Fusion monsters in one turn?

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Radiant_Knight
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Foucault%27s_Spellstone_Cannon
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Heart_of_the_Underdog

This combo + some HEROes + a bunch of Xyz monsters with a 'detach 2' cost like Castel or Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon or Silent Honor ARK + Miracle Fusion = :smug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/pendulum/

Pendulum summon tutorial.

I can see a lot of decks breaking the game with this :stare:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Pendulum summoning is pretty poo poo right now. I'm sure a year down the line when it has more support it'll be stronger, but right now it's just not worth it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

Pendulum summoning is pretty poo poo right now. I'm sure a year down the line when it has more support it'll be stronger, but right now it's just not worth it.

:catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZtaOSidXg&t=206s

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, Qlipoth's are pretty scary and Reiji's DD archetype is gonna be kinda crazy too, thanks to Hell Armageddon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't played the card game in a while, but it really just looks like you could shove two pendulum cards in your deck and instantly make it better. Is there really any drawback to them?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Beyond Konami probably releasing an archetype a year or so later that hard counters it? :v:

(Note: I haven't played since... That pack that had a bunch of 'Cyber' monsters from GX in it).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

I haven't played the card game in a while, but it really just looks like you could shove two pendulum cards in your deck and instantly make it better. Is there really any drawback to them?

Most of them have lovely pendulum zone effects, terrible stats or terrible levels. Without a deck dedicated to them they simply don't work. We'll probably see some good generic pendulums in the future but right now Odd-eyes, Radiant Knight and Entermate Wolf are the only ones who are even slightly splashable.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

this is the only good pendulum deck atm.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Momomo posted:

In deck building theory, the more non-themed card you shove into your deck, the less likely you can make a themed deck and it become more of a cookie cutter deck. Unless it's a pendulum/tuner/etc card that fit with the theme itself.

Deck that doesn't have a dedicated theme usually doesn't work as well as a focused themed deck (unless the theme itself sucked)... Except cookie cutter deck or really compatible hybrid.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Momomo posted:

The drawback is, if your opponent has a counter ready for you (Bottomless Trap Hole, Solemn Warning, Torrential Tribute, Darkfall, etc), and you go in with a big Pendulum play, you're going to be left wide open, and any smart opponent is going to know how to take advantage of that.

And, like Xoidanar said, most of the Pendulum monsters we have right now are complete garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh hey, we're finally seeing Miwa fight!

Oh...they just skipped most of the fight. How annoying.

Oh he went and lost horribly. I think I've seen main characters in Bleach with more importance than this.

I miss Asia Circuit.

• Locked thread