Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the avatar on the left...

I like the Forgeworld one because I feel the Avatar of Khaine, the embodiment of the Eldar god of war, should be taller and more imposing than a Terminator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

NTRabbit posted:

I like the Forgeworld one because I feel the Avatar of Khaine, the embodiment of the Eldar god of war, should be taller and more imposing than a Terminator

The one in the middle looks like it's about to fall over, like a big mannequin. Definitely like the left one most, but I would have gone for one the size of middle looking like the left one.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why did they cover the middle avatar with overcooked baked ziti

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

gently caress, have a better paint job then, the selection is limited when trying to find all 3 in one photo

Ramuv
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for pointing that out. I am not used to the second 40k tab for battlescribe

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why are the various Legion Rites of War so wildly different in terms of power and usability? Some, like Iron Hands, are generally 'take a cool thing!' but other ones are like 'use all of your HQ slots and 3 troops to get an extra heavy support slot, also don't take any fast attack choices'.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Went to the nerd shop today in the Murda Mitten. Friend of mine, Jesse, had an entire army of 30k Iron Hands. I asked him where he got the money for it all, he said they were from China Forge.

The casting quality was better than Forgeworld, significantly better. :smith:

Place is Shoreline Minis, or Shoreline Gaming, pretty great group of folks. Everyone there actually showers. Gradiosity is great, too, not sure if they're still around.

Yeah I don't get why Forgeworld casting quality is so poo poo, I mean its not Finecast bad, but the few kits I've ordered have all had pretty obvious defects.

poo poo's hosed.

Haven't tried any glorious Chinaforge (yet), but both Anvil and Puppetswar have been better quality than FW in my experience.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

NTRabbit posted:

It is dude, it's way bigger. A Terminator doesn't even come up to his shoulders.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

this reminds me: is the big mek stompa still legal? I found it weird that they had the gorkanaut, the morkanaut and the stompa but not the mek stompa in the codex. I was halfway through building one, and I'd really hope the lifta droppa is still legit.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd say not without a FW update. Aren't they like 600 points?

Current Big Mek Stompa rules would be the ones in the 6th ed Apocalypse book for, I think, 830 points.

If you wanted one in not-Apocalypse you could build a custom stompa from IA8. Forge World's Escalation FAQ made them a Lord of War choice, presumably their 7th FAQ will do the same.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Any idea on what would be a lowpower farsight enclaves army?

We are talking this kind of lowpower: http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=79421.msg1055202#msg1055202

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Shallow posted:

Current Big Mek Stompa rules would be the ones in the 6th ed Apocalypse book for, I think, 830 points.

If you wanted one in not-Apocalypse you could build a custom stompa from IA8. Forge World's Escalation FAQ made them a Lord of War choice, presumably their 7th FAQ will do the same.

All i care about is that it can take a lifta-droppa and that it has some big rapid fire gun [his eyes are stuffed with guns, it was going to be the megashoota or whatever]

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm thinking I'll offer up the Ork half of the box for about 80 Canadian. That's pretty much the boyz + the kans.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Does Strikedown apply to super-heavy walkers' shooting attacks, or just to their melee attacks? The brb just says that all super-heavy walkers have the rule. I was always under the impression that Strikedown was a melee rule but it actually doesn't specify.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Why are the various Legion Rites of War so wildly different in terms of power and usability? Some, like Iron Hands, are generally 'take a cool thing!' but other ones are like 'use all of your HQ slots and 3 troops to get an extra heavy support slot, also don't take any fast attack choices'.

Most Rites of War aren't very good- too restrictive, too expensive, use lots of bad units, or too hard to pull off at lower points levels. I wish they'd done a better job balancing the legions. Book currently wins hands down.

Moola posted:

Yeah I don't get why Forgeworld casting quality is so poo poo, I mean its not Finecast bad, but the few kits I've ordered have all had pretty obvious defects.

poo poo's hosed.

Haven't tried any glorious Chinaforge (yet), but both Anvil and Puppetswar have been better quality than FW in my experience.

The nice thing about supporting communism is that they usually clean all the miscasts and seams, so you tend to get outstanding quality. There are some lovely casters out there though. I once saw a batch so terrible the only way its getting used is as scenery.

Here's one from one of the terrible low quality websites everybody knows about :

Why would you even show this to people??

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

That's really the worst thing about GW. Considering how much the models cost they should be individually checked and cleaned to make sure you get an ok one.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Did I wake up in some alternate universe where it's ok to discuss Chinese recasts?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Most Rites of War aren't very good- too restrictive, too expensive, use lots of bad units, or too hard to pull off at lower points levels. I wish they'd done a better job balancing the legions. Book currently wins hands down.

Stuff like Iron Hands is good - you basically sacrifice some FA slots to get Land Raiders as dedicated transports, and outflank tanks. I think that's worth it. Then you look at Imperial Fists and it gives you some cool stuff until you realize you're spending 510 points on your compulsory troops, and even then you can only take 2 fast attack or elite choices before you have to purchase more troops. The generic ones are basically okay because their requirements are basically in-line with they do. It's just the Legion specific ones that baffle me.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Lungboy posted:

Did I wake up in some alternate universe where it's ok to discuss Chinese recasts?

Its been openly discussed for months in these threads. Who cares?

Hey, so the Battlescribe rules for the ABG don't allow a Baneblade in the LOW slot. Is this an oversight?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Zoolooman posted:

Warez, Emulation, and Grey Areas:

Don't link to or distribute illegal or shady stuff on SA. Easy.

Nobody is linking to or providing information, we're just talking about the quality.

BULBASAUR posted:

Here's one from one of the terrible low quality websites everybody knows about :

:eyepop:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

clank clank clank

Better, right!? I just need to marry the arm and the glove a little more with some plasticard and bulk the soulders a tiny bit. I think he's got big strong looking hands but doesn't overpower the boss's frame anymore.

It's hard to see from the picture, but the things on the back of his gundam hands are little buzzsaws on his wrists. Now I won't get any confusion from WSYWIG people, because they are very clearly chainfists.

edit: and poseable, too! gently caress you, i'm a meganob

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 13, 2014

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
I'm starting to get into WH40k and I've been leaning toward grabbing my first squad of Orks from my FLGS here pretty soon. What would you guys say is the approximate order of most-played/most common armies to least-played/least common? I've heard that it's Space Marines (obviously) followed by Tau. Is Tau really the second-most-played army at the moment? Where do the rest rank?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Esser-Z posted:

Does this look vaguely reasonable? For some reason Battleforge is telling me I can have at most 1 of the Eight, then in the same sentence saying to choose up to 7 in my roster. I don't get it either.

I had previously misunderstood how shield drones worked--I thought they gave the whole squad a save, instead of being something you blocked with! I definitely see the value of gun drones, adding more firepower!

And hey, using more of the Eight means I get to make up more characters, since I don't plan to paint in Farsight colors and I like naming my character models! Whee!

I really like how the railgun Broadside LOOKS, but I'm willing to model a spare or two for display, if the missiles are significantly better!

I'd like to playtest sometime, if anyone's willing to Vassal!

So, it sounded like you had some problems in your last game. One of them is that you're up against Wave Serpents, which are a tough adversary, but I think there's some issues with the list that could use work; it's far from terrible, but I think it definitely needs help. Fortunately, I don't think you need to scrap any units completely, just change how they are used somewhat.

So, the first thing to address: Crisis survivability. Namely, they don't have it. As point of fact, they're never really going to. Crisis suits, at the end of the day, are just not that tough of customers- they can put out some pretty excellent firepower, and they're very maneuverable and can deep strike and so on, but they're secretly just two Space Marines stapled together- and that's not all that much, when it comes down to it. So understand that while the Farsight Enclaves book totally lets you take them as troops, and certainly you can take advantage of that, having them as your only troops can be very limiting.

Second, named characters and other expensive stuff. They're definitely very cool, and none of the ones you're using are bad, but you're sinking an easy 600pts, a full third of your list, into them; that adds up quickly. You could easily be spending those points on other things and probably get a lot more out of it- using the Eight for some shenanigans is possible, but I don't think your list is really doing any of that. Farsight himself is a bit of an exception because of his Warlord trait, which is very useful.

Finally, Drones- you're taking a lot of them. They're not at all bad, and in the right situations can be hugely useful, but you kinda seem to have them thrown all about in your army list; I would recommend looking at them more like a mandatory part of units and more like an extra upgrade that you can tag on when you have some extra points to spend. (And yeah, Shield Drones are fairly terrible; there's basically no reason to ever use them.) You also really want to be making use of Drone Controllers where at all possible, because that increase to BS3 is a pretty big deal. Drones in solo squadrons are typically unimpressive, so I would recommend steering away from them except in special circumstances, although they're not awful or anything.

Presuming you want to continue making use of most of the existing models here, which isn't really a problem, I would try to aim for something like this:

code:
FARSIGHT ENCLAVES
1 Commander Farsight
1 Riptide (Ion, Fusion, Override, Velocity, Talisman)
1 Riptide (HBC, Fusion, Advanced Targeting, Earth Caste)
3 Crisis (2 Fusion, Target Lock)
2 Crisis (2 Plasma, 3 Gun Drone)
2 Crisis (2 Plasma, 3 Gun Drone)
1 Crisis (2 Missiles)
3 Crisis (2 Missiles, Target Lock, 6 Marker Drones)
12 Kroot (Snipers, 1 Kroot Hound)
2 Broadsides (High-Yield, 4 Missile Drone)
2 Broadsides (Plasma Rifles, Advanced Targeting)

TAU ALLIES
1 Commander (2 Missiles, Drone Controller, Target Lock, Iridium Armor, Puretide Chip, 2 Markerlight Drones)
12 Kroot (Snipers, 1 Kroot Hound)
2 Broadsides (High-Yield, 4 Missile Drone)
I ran six Broadsides here because it sounded like you had some number of Rail Rifle ones already? They aren't bad by any means, but the Missile variant is usually going to be better, sadly. If not, feel free to cut one squad of them in favor of basically whatever else you care to use- there's still plenty of slots open.

The main thing your previous list was missing was Markerlight support- without it Tau are a lot less impressive of an army overall, so I tried to work in a good unit of Markerlights that could last through a game; if you still find yourself lacking, a Skyray or unit of Sniper Drones (with maximum Marksmen included) could also help. Farsight will typically join the Fusion unit and the Commander the largest of the Missile units; that gives you a very accurate anti-tank squad as well as a strong general shooting unit that puts out tons (~7) of Markerlight hits every turn, which should be more than enough to vaporize whatever unit they light up. A slight redistribution of the Crisis otherwise makes them a little more survivable by ensuring that they can Go to Ground more freely when needed and aren't as vulnerable to morale checks (note the unit size of five.)

The added Kroot give you extra Objective Secured units that can outflank or Infiltrate as needed and have guns that are dangerous against a wide range of targets. I also swapped one Riptide over to the Heavy Burst Cannon because I feel it meshes better with the Earth Caste Array- the ECA virtually negates any chance of Getting Hot and allows you to Nova Charge most every turn, which the HBC really needs. If you're really worried about air targets you could add a Velocity Tracker/Override setup to this one as well, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. The Talisman of Arthas Moloch is there to give you some basic protection against psykers- it could easily be dropped if you don't find it helpful.

Your typical plan for a turn will be to light something up with the Markerlights (while firing Missiles at some other target or targets) and then hammer it with some combination of the Ion Riptide, Crisis (plasma or fusion, depending), and Broadsides. Only having one Markerlight source means many of your units will have to do without, but that's not crippling- just focus the MLs on the biggest/most dangerous target and let your other guns do their thing. Broadides and the HBC Riptide are entirely capable of acting unsupported, so they're probably not recipients on most turns; contrawise, the Ion Riptide kinda wants to be using up five MLs on his own (three for BS6 so you can reroll Gets Hot, two for Ignore Cover), 'cause he's a bit of a greedy bastard.

The list still isn't uber-resilient, but it has a lot more bodies and more flexibility than the original version, I think. If models are an issue there's lots of other tweaks that could be made and I believe there's even a few points left over in the above version to play around with other upgrades if you want.

ErectorBeast posted:

I'm starting to get into WH40k and I've been leaning toward grabbing my first squad of Orks from my FLGS here pretty soon. What would you guys say is the approximate order of most-played/most common armies to least-played/least common? I've heard that it's Space Marines (obviously) followed by Tau. Is Tau really the second-most-played army at the moment? Where do the rest rank?

Space Marines are sort of perennially popular, so you can expect to always see a fair number of them. Tau and Eldar are on the upswing right now because their codices are recent and fairly strong, but that may or may not last forever. It's pretty hard to say what armies you'll really encounter most- it varies pretty widely between areas. In my town, for example, there are actually not very many Space Marine players at all, but I've heard plenty of folks complain about playing almost nothing but in their areas. You'll also see very different distributions in tournament play as compared to the population at large- tournament armies tend to be very tightly focused and have a lot more of the most recent book released (as everyone wants to test its mettle, etc) whereas the general playerbase tends to be fairly steady overall as people slowly build up their collections.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 13, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hmmmm. I was aiming for an all-battlesuit gimmick, but Kroot are pretty awesome. I appreciate all the help, and I'll definitely take a look at it. I can definitely use something else instead of the railguns; I just really like how they look and want to field them for that reason! :v:

Yeah. A few kroot won't be too out of place, really, if they're really that useful. It's a bit disappointing to not be ALL SUITS, but gotta make some concessions to victory!

My Crisis Suits have magnets, so I can easily swap out their weapons to try multiple things! Hm. Do you think Fire Warriors could work in place of Kroot? I already have some of them, and I'd like to keep with the fancy tech aesthetic.

Again, thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Also, your version is over the points limit before I even add the kroot :V

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 13, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
This weekend, I visited some friends in my hometown and got a bunch of my old Space Marines back. I'm going to keep some of it, and I'm still going back and cataloguing everything, but one thing I've found already that I definitely won't keep is a pile of the old robed Dark Angels veteran/sergeant models.

There are ~15 metal ones, including one of that chainsword/plasma pistol guy from the old Dark Angels Tactical Squad box. There's also a limited edition metal captain from (I think) the 5E megaforce. There are also 5 plastic ones. Would anyone here be interested in buying them on the cheap? Many would need to be stripped (others are bare) but since the metal core is what's important they'd still be useful for anyone who wanted dudes in robes. If nobody's interested I'll make an SA mart thread or throw them on eBay or something.

Other stuff I'll probably get rid of are an old Master of the Ravenwing speeder, a couple of other speeders, three (3!!) assembled but unpainted Whirlwinds, and some Dark Angels upgrade sprues.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, I've got my own Forgeworld Hydra that's covered in giant blocks of excess resin and has two or three moderate miscasts I'll have to touch up and I just accosted how that was, but I've got a Chinaforge Contemptor and Blood Slaughterer, which re both complex kits, and they're clean and perfect.

I'm on to the daemon part of my Word Bearers though and I'm wondering how big I should make it, at the moment it's Karnak, big blob of Flesh Hounds, minimal Bloodletters and a skull cannon, but Juggernauts are awesome models. Think I'll have fun adding another allied contingent or even flipping it around so it's Daemon base book plus Word Bearers allies? Bloodletters seem pretty uninspiring, mechanically.

Basically just asking if Khorne Daemons is a moderately effective and fun lists, I've never played against it and some of it seems pretty weak but who knows. It doesn't need to be super powerful but I do want to actually get to melee and win some fights

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You'd have to make some concessions with your opponents because I think the Word Bearers need to be the primary attachment. Khorne is okay and + Word Bearers would make enemy psyker's really unhappy but I think you get more out of bringing in a bunch of Legion troops/ Gal Vorbak and just use Fleshhounds et al to spam the midfield.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does anyone happen to have that image of the marines that had the bolter grips glued to the hands?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

How about

code:
FARSIGHT ENCLAVES
Farsight
Riptide (Early warning, ion, fusion, velocity)
Riptide (advanced targeting, earth caste, HBC, fusion)
Two Crisis (2x plasma, 3 gun drone)
Two Crisis (2x plasma, 3 gun drone)
3x Crisis (2x missile, target lock, 6x marker drone)
3x Crisis (2x fusion, target lock)
2x Broadside (all missiles all the time, 4x missile drone)
2x Broadside (rail rifle, plasma)

Tau Empire
Commander (drone controller, 2x marker drone, 2x missiles, puretide chip, target lock, iridium)
7x Fire warrior (pulse rifle, Shas'ui w/markerlight)
7x Fire warrior (pulse rifle, Shas'ui w/markerlight)
I don't know if 8-man fire warrior teams are useful or not. I'd really like to have a couple rail 'sides, simply because of how cool they look. FORGING THE NARRATIVE or something like that. :colbert:

I'd rather have all battlesuits, but... Some concessions must be made, for the greater good. If Kroot are better than FW for this, I could take them, they are neat, but I'd rather have a more completely unified aesthetic.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 13, 2014

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Sulecrist posted:

This weekend, I visited some friends in my hometown and got a bunch of my old Space Marines back. I'm going to keep some of it, and I'm still going back and cataloguing everything, but one thing I've found already that I definitely won't keep is a pile of the old robed Dark Angels veteran/sergeant models.

There are ~15 metal ones, including one of that chainsword/plasma pistol guy from the old Dark Angels Tactical Squad box. There's also a limited edition metal captain from (I think) the 5E megaforce. There are also 5 plastic ones. Would anyone here be interested in buying them on the cheap? Many would need to be stripped (others are bare) but since the metal core is what's important they'd still be useful for anyone who wanted dudes in robes. If nobody's interested I'll make an SA mart thread or throw them on eBay or something.

Other stuff I'll probably get rid of are an old Master of the Ravenwing speeder, a couple of other speeders, three (3!!) assembled but unpainted Whirlwinds, and some Dark Angels upgrade sprues.

I'd definitely be interested in Dark Angels stuff once you get it all catalogued.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You'd have to make some concessions with your opponents because I think the Word Bearers need to be the primary attachment. Khorne is okay and + Word Bearers would make enemy psyker's really unhappy but I think you get more out of bringing in a bunch of Legion troops/ Gal Vorbak and just use Fleshhounds et al to spam the midfield.

Oh, 40k Word Bearers, sorry, purely a thematic thing, nothing mechanically different because lol no legion troops

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

Are we saying that SRM needs to add a 1st edition Eldar army to his retro collection?

Because I think we should be
Not Eldar, but I've got some more retro goodness in the wings! Not like I haven't been tempted by pansies Eldar though...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Okay I'll go ahead and guess Tyranids.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Is 5.4E the correct version for Vassal? It seems that Vassal is pretty much the only way I'll be able to get games in while I'm out here and I want to make sure I've got the baseline.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I promised I'd take pics of stuff when I started working on it, so here we go! These Nobz are still WIP, but I'm pretty happy with them so far!

Not sure what color I'm going to do the guns. Probably just black, maybe made metallic.

A friend photoshopped the brown to khaki, and I think I like it more like that:

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 13, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Loving the purple.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Esser-Z posted:

I promised I'd take pics of stuff when I started working on it, so here we go! These Nobz are still WIP, but I'm pretty happy with them so far!

Not sure what color I'm going to do the guns. Probably just black, maybe made metallic.

These look cool. Are they Mantic models? They look really good, a lot closer to the GW aesthetic than I thought.

(if they're GW models, please ignore me, but they still look good.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Esser-Z posted:

I think I like the khaki more too. It'll also shade better than the brown if you hit it with a wash.

Sulecrist posted:

These look cool. Are they Mantic models? They look really good, a lot closer to the GW aesthetic than I thought.

They're stock GW plastic nobz from the look of it.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
whilst we are posting Ork WIPs here's where my morkanaut is at. Still a little bit to go but it's starting to take shape.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 13, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Those're straight up GW nobz, with Mantic marauders in the background!

I'm also really fond of the purple. It's Reaper Royal Purple, and it comes out really nicely.

Yeah, I think the khaki is better all around. I may paint some little stains on it, too, as is befitting orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Sulecrist posted:

I would definitely be interested in some of this stuff.

• Locked thread