Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Is there a good square ASCII tileset? I hate the non square mess that is the default it makes my head hurt trying to figure out why my room isn't square when I wanted it square then I remember and think it looks stupid still. I don't mind ASCII itself I had a square tileset back in 2010 (I don't think I ever played 2012, the last version I played was before minecarts)

edit: Square for 2014 gently caress 2012 :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xand_Man posted:

Welp, just had to end a masterwork fort because I had a berserk skeleton in the master stairway. He and my skeleton militia went at it for over a season, all becoming legendary brawlers and causing all jobs to grind to a halt.

Any advice on resurrecting warlocks? I assigned them all tombs right next to the altar, but I'm not sure if that's helping or hurting.

Don't assign them tombs. Instead create a corpse pile next to a tier 3 necromantic altar. Then run the job to resurrect warlocks.

The way most reactions work is that they need something to effect. So if all of your corpses are locked up in tombs none of them are going to be brought back. Typically this is done by creating a gaseous cloud that hits the target in some way.

Also, berserk skeletons are easy to fix. Make sure your warlocks are either moving along the same routes/rooms your skeletons are, or once you're set up start building and stationing pylons. Pylons project an aura of control that ensure skeletons don't go rogue. Of course they need to be powered by warlocks too. But they have a much longer time until they go offline, so a warlock will more than likely pass by.

Plus you can string them up in a line so that entire areas of the fort are powered where no warlocks even go. It requires a lot of gems though, but it's definitely an excellent late game strategy. That way you can have an inner sanctum where your warlocks stay at, or just areas where nothing but undead travel.

Edit: Assuming you have the latest version that is. The latest version fixes pretty much all of the issues I had encountered so far. I even made an enchanted set of animated armor and it didn't attack my uncontrollable zombies before going into a fit of rage. That also includes some undead randomly going a bit feral due to a loyalty issue when attacking opposed to life mobs.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 13, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

pixaal posted:

Is there a good square ASCII tileset? I hate the non square mess that is the default it makes my head hurt trying to figure out why my room isn't square when I wanted it square then I remember and think it looks stupid still. I don't mind ASCII itself I had a square tileset back in 2010 (I don't think I ever played 2012, the last version I played was before minecarts)

I use this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Unknown_curses_12x12.png

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Next time with skeleton problems in regards to them going berserk or failed moods (why do they have moods, they can't even get become legendary after making an artficat) just look at them, then go into DFHack that you need to have running anyways and type "killitwith gravity".

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Leal posted:

Next time with skeleton problems in regards to them going berserk or failed moods (why do they have moods, they can't even get become legendary after making an artficat) just look at them, then go into DFHack that you need to have running anyways and type "killitwith gravity".

Also, if you want to gently caress around with the various reactions and items in both DF vanilla and the mod with no consequences, type hackwish.

Enjoy having your game ruined if you have no sense of restraint. :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So I just died after an epic battle against a dwarf (well, my first and only battle). Is there a way to export the combat log and stats?

edit: ahh, I see the gamelog.txt has like everything.

I went to an area and a dwarf started attacking me. I didn't (and still don't) know what I was doing and he cuts my left foot pretty deep with a 2 handed sword which lodges in the foot and I fell over and eventually passed out.

Then he spent I have no ideal how long punching me but it's about 1200 lines in the gamelog.txt and for some reason he stops and starts runnign away from me.

After I regain consciousness I try to crawl up to him to resume attacking but he got away so I rested and healed up. The dwarf came back and the battle resumed.

I don't know what happened to my weapon so I wrestle him and he cuts off my left arm, but I have a firm grip with my teeth and right hand, upper arm and lower arm.

I managed to BITE OUT his tongue, ruined his left eye by biting it, ripped out his right eye... this is pretty neat

quote:

You bend The Dwarf Swordsdwarf's right lower leg with Your right lower leg and the right knee collapses!
A ligament in the right knee has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
The Dwarf Swordsdwarf falls over.
The Dwarf Swordsdwarf gives in to pain.
You strangle The Dwarf Swordsdwarf's throat!
You bite The Dwarf Swordsdwarf in the throat, bruising it through the small rope reed fiber robe!
You latch on firmly!
You shake The Dwarf Swordsdwarf around by the throat and the throat collapses!
A major artery in the throat has been opened by the attack!
You shake The Dwarf Swordsdwarf around by the upper body, tearing apart the upper body's skin!
You bite The Dwarf Swordsdwarf in the throat, bruising it through the small rope reed fiber robe!
You latch on firmly!
You shake The Dwarf Swordsdwarf around by the throat, tearing apart the throat!
You shake The Dwarf Swordsdwarf around by the throat, tearing apart the throat!
You scratch The Dwarf Swordsdwarf in the throat, bruising it through the small rope reed fiber robe!
You: I've defeated many fearsome opponents!
You bite The Dwarf Swordsdwarf in the tongue, bruising the left cheek's skin through the small rope reed fiber robe!
You latch on firmly!
You shake The Dwarf Swordsdwarf around by the tongue and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The tongue is ripped away and remains in Your grip!
You pinch The Dwarf Swordsdwarf's throat with Your right hand, tearing it apart!
A major artery has been opened by the attack!
You let the Marice Lafoomo's tongue drop away as You attack.
You bite The Dwarf Swordsdwarf in the left eye, bruising the left eyelid's skin through the small rope reed fiber robe!
You latch on firmly!
You shake The Dwarf Swordsdwarf around by the left eye and the left eye collapses!
You shake The Dwarf Swordsdwarf around by the left eye, tearing apart the left eye!
Marice Lafoomo, Dwarf Swordsdwarf has bled to death.
You drink the Marice Valeroar's dwarf blood.
You have bled to death.

Danith fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 13, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Danith posted:

So I just died after an epic battle against a dwarf (well, my first and only battle). Is there a way to export the combat log and stats?

Stats, no, but gamelog.txt in same folder as Dwarf Fortress.exe will have all the combat events.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Just to throw a wrench into this, in my warlock fort someone in a coffin got resurrected just fine but warlocks in the corpse pile aren't (I've ran the reaction 2-3 times anyway).

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Is there a way to provide autosaving for a certain number of turns in Adventure Mode? I keep crashing, and it's slow to save normally and load back into the game from the menu.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

You drink the Marice Valeroar's dwarf blood.
You have bled to death.

While it made sense in theory, I guess you cannot replace your own blood with someone else's by drinking it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

pisshead posted:

I'm having countless problems.
Farmers keep cancelling plant seeds because it needs plump helmet spawn. There are at least ten in the stockpile, and they're not forbidden.
I don't have enough skilled workers in poo poo that actually needs doing.
Even though I have three masons with some masonry skill, and jobs that are requiring masonry, they just sit idle with no job. How do I force someone with masonry skill to do the masonry jobs that need doing? They have permission to do it.

The planting cancel spam is an issue with the new hauling system that was added in the latter updates of DF2012. Rather than hauling a single sock or seed to stockpiles, dwarves will go to the stockpile and grab a bin, barrel, or bag, and use that to collect multiple items. While the container is in transit, though, its contents are off-limits to everyone else. If someone ate a plump helmet, leaving spawn behind, a dwarf will grab your seed bag and rush to pick up the spawn. If your only seeds are in that bag when a farmer decides to plant it will produce the cancel spam, at least until the bag is once again free for use in the food/seed stockpile.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not having Dwarf Therapist has made the game more fun for me because I'm no longer even trying to micromanage all my dwarves and my fort is doing great.

Haha I was trying to figure out why my dwarves kept getting horrified constantly while leaving my fort and it was because a goblins head flew on top of a fortification and couldn't get cleaned up.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 13, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I have a dwarf who dreamed of creating a piece of great art and ended up creating an artifact, so now on his description page it says that his dream has been realized :unsmith:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Robot Randy posted:

I have a dwarf who dreamed of creating a piece of great art and ended up creating an artifact, so now on his description page it says that his dream has been realized :unsmith:
Sadly, it's all downhill from here for Urist Paintedlances.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I noticed a dwarf slowly lumbering to the river with a heavy barrel full of food trying to retrieve a fish, so I had the bright idea to give the food stockpile a wheelbarrow.

A dwarf took a booze barrel, ran to the dining room, had a sip, then ran to the food stockpile, grabbed a wheelbarrow, ran all the way back to the dining room, and carted the booze barrel back to the stockpile. :psydwarf:

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
I just patched DF 14 to get rid of the crashing bugs, and now I have a few strange things happening:

For one, I can't train my dogs. I get spammed with an error that there is no such creature. They trained up fine before the patch. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to fix it? Second, my animals aren't making babies. Even pre-patch, my dogs were very prolific. This time I've gotten two puppies in over a year. The cattle are not breeding at all.

Also, all my dwarfs are female. All of them. Even the migrants. No idea if this is just a fluke or a bug related to this patch. Unfortunately, most of them dream of making families, which well.. sorry girls.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

HFCS posted:

I just patched DF 14 to get rid of the crashing bugs, and now I have a few strange things happening:

For one, I can't train my dogs. I get spammed with an error that there is no such creature. They trained up fine before the patch. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to fix it? Second, my animals aren't making babies. Even pre-patch, my dogs were very prolific. This time I've gotten two puppies in over a year. The cattle are not breeding at all.

Also, all my dwarfs are female. All of them. Even the migrants. No idea if this is just a fluke or a bug related to this patch. Unfortunately, most of them dream of making families, which well.. sorry girls.

The patch broke save compatibility.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

The patch broke save compatibility.

This is an entirely new fortress from the pre-patch one. Those issues are in comparison to how it played before.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HFCS posted:

This is an entirely new fortress from the pre-patch one. Those issues are in comparison to how it played before.

My suggestion is to just delete what you've got completely and download the new one.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

Reason posted:

My suggestion is to just delete what you've got completely and download the new one.

When I got the patched game I deleted the bad one. Everything about this fort is entirely separate from the old. I listed the comparison to show that it seems to be a bug caused by this patch. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer on that before.

As I write this, it appears the farm crop list bug has returned?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FINALLY finished updating all my custom files to be compatible with the new version. Now I can experience all the new horrible things that have been added.

How riddled with bugs is this new version though? Is it playable or is it prone to falling apart at random intervals?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

HFCS posted:

When I got the patched game I deleted the bad one. Everything about this fort is entirely separate from the old. I listed the comparison to show that it seems to be a bug caused by this patch. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer on that before.

The current release was just a quick save fix to prevent the autosave breaking a game making it unloadable. He has fixed the seedbug but its not in the currently released game. Expect it to probably be fixed this week. He tends to do weekly releases right after a patch.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

FINALLY finished updating all my custom files to be compatible with the new version. Now I can experience all the new horrible things that have been added.

How riddled with bugs is this new version though? Is it playable or is it prone to falling apart at random intervals?

I've found it to be annoyingly crashy. Fun while it works, but I try and drive my adventurers into as an early grave as possible until a few more crash bugs get fixed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I spawned a human outsider adventurer, and he seems to be lost in a fully-enclosed dwarven fortress with no surface access. Just a two levels full of bedrooms with clothing, and two levels of workshops.

Is DF hack to the level of teleporting dudes around yet?

EDIT: Retired adventurer, unretired him. Now me and my clone are stuck in a wall.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
You should be able to (T)ravel away from the fort.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Solid Poopsnake posted:

You should be able to (T)ravel away from the fort.

I've tried that. It doesn't let me move anywhere on the minimap. It appears I'm surrounded by mountains in all directions.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Have you tried using the go up stairs key?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Why does it always say everything is inaccessible? Obviously it is if they are coming here and murdering and kidnapping them.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Shadowlz posted:

Why does it always say everything is inaccessible? Obviously it is if they are coming here and murdering and kidnapping them.

I think it may be that members of that civ are unaware of a path that leads to the target that would not take them over mountains. Perhaps it takes into account the fact that civs are only aware of a certain amount of area around their holdings?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pixaal posted:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Comes with two versions, one where the Ascii is pure, and one where the Ascii looks slightly like the animal it's supposed to be:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Neurion posted:

I think it may be that members of that civ are unaware of a path that leads to the target that would not take them over mountains. Perhaps it takes into account the fact that civs are only aware of a certain amount of area around their holdings?

Ah maybe. You think they would just say "I'm not sure" like they do sometimes.

Another question, I never used spears before but I know you can twist it if it lodged in the wound. How the hell do you do that?

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Is there anyway to see detailed personality/emotions of historical figures?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HFCS posted:

by "patch" do you mean "Deleted the old version and then put the new one down"? Because if you just slapped the new one over the old one that could cause strangeness.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Whoa I didn't realize that the musician playing the Dwarf Fortress theme is... Today One. Tarn is a pretty cool dude, even though he's weird I have a lot of respect for a man who can code (poorly), do math, and play some flamenco guitar. Truly a 21st century renaissance man. Hell I can only do one of those.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Malcolm posted:

Whoa I didn't realize that the musician playing the Dwarf Fortress theme is... Today One. Tarn is a pretty cool dude, even though he's weird I have a lot of respect for a man who can code (poorly), do math, and play some flamenco guitar. Truly a 21st century renaissance man. Hell I can only do one of those.

Honestly, I'm not sure if he's poor at coding so much as that a project of this scale would be impossible to keep bug-free for one man alone.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

When he started out he was legitimately really bad, but as the project's trundled on he's gotten significantly better, of course it's hard to tell because the performance increase from detangling the spaghetti code immediately gets snapped up by processing the backstories and day-to-day lives of 100,000 different sentient beings.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Well this version of the game is a lot easier in adventure mode. Everything is so afraid of you, they they just stand there and let you hit them. The only reason I died this time is because I walked to the top of a dark fortress and got trampled when everyone ran out in fear of me.

Also there used to always be a lair close by. Now you walk across the world and jump over rivers just to have the bandits stand there and greet you, spit on you, and cower in fear the moment your sword comes down.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DrMelon posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure if he's poor at coding so much as that a project of this scale would be impossible to keep bug-free for one man alone.

I'm pretty sure DF is his 2nd attempt at programming. He's never recoded from the ground up and has realized that its a horrible mess.

I've only made one game but it was a horrible horrible mess of code I went to do stuff a few days after coding something and couldn't remember where stuff was. His mind must be a huge mess with whatever the source code is. I'm pretty sure the source code is set to be released as long as he doesn't get murdered. I would be shocked if people actually took his code and didn't gut it and basically recode DF whenever Toady dies. I doubt he's going to die anytime soon. We're probably stuck with Toady as the programmer for our lifetimes unless he releases the code early and retires at some point, but even then I don't see that for decades.

Basically after making a game with only basic courses in programming and have very little idea of what the hell I was doing I made a horrible mess. This source code has to be horrible from the start and he's kind of doing a piece by piece recode which is a horrible idea. What should have happened is a complete recode "Dwarf Fortress 2.0" and probably would have allowed for multi threading. If one thing could benefit from tons of cores its Dwarf Fortress. Hell AMD's Bulldozer might actually be a viable processor for DF multi threaded. We'll likely never know though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Goddamn, how do I get dwarves to move corpses across the map to a refuse stockpile? Either that or a garbage dump? They just really don't seem to care about some wild animals I had my military hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

One of these things is not like the others

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 13, 2014