Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
C-17s would fly down the main street in North Charleston so low and slow you'd think they were looking for a parking spot. Man, it looks like those things can just hang in the air. It could spook you the first time you saw it, but after that no one noticed, and I don't recall anyone in town saying a bad word about anything to do with the USAF base. (The Navy one, a slightly different story...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrlfjiZO2dc

:stonk:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

The Discovery Wings at War episode on the Mig-29 is utterly comprehensive. It's a shame these kinds of series aren't produced any more.

At least we can watch Ice Road Logging Sasquatches, though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Hahahahahahahaha

If you don't think this absolutely owns I don't know what the hell is wrong with you

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LL2XVY/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picked up A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan today. I haven't read much from a Harrier pilot perspective on any conflict so I'm interested to read about this facet of the war.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

That looks amazing, when is it releasing straight to DVD?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

I love the people that live near OLFs (outlying fields, used for pattern practice by military, often shared civilian airfields) that call and complain about "loud planes buzzing my house all the time!!!!"

We have "read and initial" notifications updated weekly in our squadrons, some concerning SOP's with the planes, others concerning local operating procedures like at these OLFs. Our favorites about the OLFs is "don't overfly the red/blue/yellow house on the downwind of XX runway because that guy somehow got the wing/squadron's phone number and won't stop calling. Not only did that dumb bastard CHOOSE TO LIVE BY AN AIRFIELD but he is going to bitch about it. So lets fly a low pattern over his loving house.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah there are people who live in the sticks under some of the MOAs that comprise part of the JPARC. I know when I went flying with the Aussies our Herk flew pretty drat low over a couple of houses cabins shacks, and since it's Alaska, I'm sure everyone who lives out there was always quick to hop on the phone and complain about that drat fedrul govmint flyin' aero-planes over mah house, also danged obummer lettin' all them foriegn UN armies here to enact agenda 21.

I really like the state but the people are the worst.

Aw :(

Alaska was great before the Feds decided everyone should have phone/TV access so now the bush rats sit around all winter reading infowars instead of real books like they used to. The ones who were there back in the 1950s and their kind tend to be very well read and incredibly nice people. Flying Wild Alaska shows a good number of the (quiet and otherwise not troublemaking) bush folks that are great to hear stories from.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I haven't read much from a Harrier pilot perspective on any conflict so I'm interested to read about this facet of the war.

Nightmare 51, checking in

** 10 minutes later **

Nightmare 51 is bingo fuel, RTB

That does look like a pretty interesting read though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I saw a Dreamlifter coming in for a landing on my way home from work Tuesday, that thing is really big, too bad I couldn't get a picture while driving.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

DeusExMachinima posted:

That reminds me of a story an ex-pilot from the 60's told me. They'd fly F-4s by GA craft upside down between cloud layers. Without any ground reference the Cessnas would almost always turn upside down too because they'd think the F-4s were right side up. Another F-4 would usually creep up a few seconds later actually flying right side up and the pilot and weapons officer would wave really enthusiastically at the civilian flyer as they passed.

Of course, you'd probably get 50 lashes for that today.

As a person who flies GA aircraft on a regular basis that is bullshit. It is stupid on several levels and the fact that you believe it makes me think less of you as a person.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

helno posted:

As a person who flies GA aircraft on a regular basis that is bullshit. It is stupid on several levels and the fact that you believe it makes me think less of you as a person.

Yeah, I mean, lashes for officers? The cat is solely for the lowly enlisted.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

helno posted:

Yeah seriously this story doesn't add up at all.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFlReovvnI

Cessna 182 @ FL190 lol

revmoo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 13, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

helno posted:

Read my post in a droll British voice. Now, tell me where I said I believed it? :dukedog:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

When I worked in flight safety I would get to hear about all of those ludicrous complaints. My favorite one was some elderly lady out in the sticks of Fairbanks, AK who repeatedly complained that an AWACS pilot (she would read the names on the side of the jet and since we only flew two jets she kept catching the same one) was attempting to kill her dogs by flying low over her place.

Beyond that the most regular ones were fighter guys buzzing people or flying very low. I believe those for sure considering how empty Alaska is and, you know, fighter pilots are douche bags.
My favorite of these stories was told to me by a Brit who used to answer calls for one of the Tornado GR4 units. They train at fairly low level, but it's generally away from populated areas, and most of the calls they took were either unsubstantiated or complaints about airliners flying into airports that had nothing whatsoever to do with the RAF. One day they take a call from an old lady:

:britain:: "Yes, hello, I'm sorry to have to call. I support our forces, and every thing you do. I'm used to the planes coming over my house, but they came over especially low today, and it was so loud it made my dog wee!"
RAF: "Well, ma'am there are a lot of planes flying today. Are you sure it was one of ours?"
:britain:: "Well, it was grey, it had two engines, it was definitely a fighter... and it had a [roman numeral redacted] on the tail."
RAF: :stare: "Ok ma'am, definitely one of ours, we'll have a word with the pilot."

For reference, this is how big the Squadron markings are on RAF Tornadoes:

Think about how close you'd have to be to read that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

revmoo posted:

Cessna 182 @ FL190 lol

That's a turbocharged 182; those things can cruise around all day long @FL190 without a whole lot of difficulty. You want to know what is impressive? Getting a 152 up to 13,000'. With an instructor aboard. On a hot afternoon in the middle of August.

And no we weren't thermalling the loving thing either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do turbo 182s have a pressurized cabin?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

Do turbo 182s have a pressurized cabin?

No, the occupants use supplemental oxygen at those altitudes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seems like it'd be unpleasant at 19000 ft.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Found a video of a 3 engine touch n go from years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQN5ncaU-lg

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Is the exhaust on the tail from clamshell reversers? How many times would they have to be used after washing to get that mush buildup?

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
The endurance chat got me interested, and I found a documentary about Rutan Voyager in 1986. The flight was enormously risky. At one point the pilot was hallucinating, by way of hypoxia, that the instrument panel was bulging out and was going to explode. The co-pilot was just passed out. The narrator claims 20,000 feet and they weren't using oxygen. The plane was also barely flyable and would be damaged by leaning on it.

Unfortunately, there just really isn't that much interesting video so there is a lot of boring filler of the instrument panels doing nothing. Still recommend:

The Frontiers of Flight - The Last Great World Record (1992) Rutan Voyager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYW6X46qWG0&list=PLmk_A0zzMFzTL4MNizCmJs_CEQDZC24Cp
(part 1, playlist of all 4 parts)

e. the flight did not happen in '92, that's when the documentary was produced

darknrgy fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 13, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

So did anyone have a chance to read the request Amazon.com sent to the FAA requesting exemption from the experimental airworthiness regulations?

This stood out to me:

pre:
We also intend to use one or more of the six FAA‐selected test sites and seek a special 
airworthiness certificate (experimental category) for our sUAS.  However, it would be impractical 
for Amazon to pursue either one of these avenues as our sole or even primary method of R&D 
testing at this time, and doing so would unnecessarily tax scarce FAA resources.  For example, it 
would be an unreasonable burden on both the FAA and Amazon if we were required to apply for 
a special airworthiness certificate for every sUAS design or testing configuration while we are in 
R&D and conducting rapid prototyping.   
I've only had experience on larger commercial aircraft, but there's nothing the FAA loves to investigate more than tons of part changes and manufacturers who are new. Is this letter as unreasonable as it sounds or am I missing something?

They want to build, test, and iterate on their 55lb robot helicopter on some property they (will) own out in the boonies instead of having to go through the FAA every time they try something new. Low speed, low altitude, and with several automatic and manual fail-safe systems. It seems reasonable to me.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What does the GR in British plane names stand for?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Tevery Best posted:

GRound strike? This is just me guessing from the Wargame Red Dragon armory, but all the British planes with GR.# in the title have ground attack weapons--rockets, bombs, AtG missiles, that sort of thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tevery Best posted:

Ground Attack/Reconnaissance

There's a whole big list of 'em here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tevery Best posted:

George Rex. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

revmoo posted:

Cessna 182 @ FL190 lol
Passenger must be European with the clapping on the landing.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
I hate working weekends during the summer.

Bippity-Boppity traffic, helicopter 81E is five miles to the west, landing Bippity-Boppity
Bippity-Boppity traffic, helicopter 81E is two miles to the west, landing direct on the north side, Bippity-Boppity
HEY THERE BIPPITY TRAFFIC CESSNA 1488HH IS LANDING ZERO FOUR ANYONE IN THE PATTERN

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

A Melted Tarp posted:

HEY THERE BIPPITY TRAFFIC CESSNA 1488HH IS LANDING ZERO FOUR ANYONE IN THE PATTERN

If there was seriously a Cessna with that reg I would hope you'd force him to crash in the most ironic way possible. (yes, I know, it's a joke).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LL2XVY/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picked up A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan today. I haven't read much from a Harrier pilot perspective on any conflict so I'm interested to read about this facet of the war.

Not a good book. I got halfway through it before getting a refund. Nothing really happens on this deployment. A lot of it is the dude wallowing in pity and self-loathing. Not much Harrier action.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Snowdens Secret posted:

C-17s would fly down the main street in North Charleston so low and slow you'd think they were looking for a parking spot. Man, it looks like those things can just hang in the air. It could spook you the first time you saw it, but after that no one noticed, and I don't recall anyone in town saying a bad word about anything to do with the USAF base. (The Navy one, a slightly different story...)

My uncle worked at the shipyard. He's still salty about it closing.

I remember the C-141s from when my dad was stationed there -- they were loud.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Melted Tarp posted:

Bippity-Boppity traffic, helicopter 81E is five miles to the west, landing Bippity-Boppity
Bippity-Boppity traffic, helicopter 81E is two miles to the west, landing direct on the north side, Bippity-Boppity

I held short of the ramp at PHK for an R22 landing one morning, and let him know I was on CTAF. I like to think he shed a single tear.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

YF19pilot posted:

If there was seriously a Cessna with that reg I would hope you'd force him to crash in the most ironic way possible. (yes, I know, it's a joke).

Fortunately four numbers and two letters would be against the rules, I think.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

YF19pilot posted:

If I remember correctly, the 88 and HH are redundant as well, so there's that too.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

rscott posted:

I saw a Dreamlifter coming in for a landing on my way home from work Tuesday, that thing is really big, too bad I couldn't get a picture while driving.

One of the runways at Barksdale AFB has them crossing I-20 at 100' on approach. If you drive by at the right time, you can get a very close look at the underside of a Hog or BUFF. Unfortunately it hasn't happened to me since I got a DSLR, but doing the St. Maarten thing with a B-52 is a religious experience.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but you can do that here in Juneau, too. Less traffic and very few widebodies but it's still awesome.

Scares the poo poo out of my dog.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Not a good book. I got halfway through it before getting a refund. Nothing really happens on this deployment. A lot of it is the dude wallowing in pity and self-loathing. Not much Harrier action.

Does he post in GIP?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm6PG918

Nice video of the new -9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Is there a term (like "foamer" for trainspotters) for aviation enthusiasts that congregate around airports like this?