Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a forklift but it doesn't fit into the garage :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Rhyno posted:

I still can't make it work. We're moving into a brand new complex where my girlfriend will be working at. No way I can drill into a new slab.

You'll only risk your security deposit, assuming they even notice the holes when you move out :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd do it. Landlords, especially the kind that run complexes have no idea what belongs and what doesn't because contractors do all the work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oxbrain posted:

I've been abusing one of these for nearly a decade now and it's still going strong.

I finally killed my original RTX after fifteen loving years of horrible abuse. It still works, but the bearings in the motor (I tried replacing the one on the output shaft) make disturbing noises.

Amusingly enough, the only thing making the three-speed RTX a three-speed, is a spring and detents on the speed knob. It's otherwise completely identical to the infinitely-variable original RTX, and you can even modify it to remove that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brigdh posted:

You'll only risk your security deposit, assuming they even notice the holes when you move out :)

She's going to be the property manager so I could try to schmooze her.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

She's going to be the property manager so I could try to schmooze her.

At least you can't get sued for sexually harassing the property manager :v:

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Powershift posted:

I have a forklift but it doesn't fit into the garage :(

I slept on an auction for a foot pedal operated hydraulic forklift a couple months ago. It would have been perfect. I'm on the hunt for a used rolling gantry too.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What do you guys recommend for a jack that can get my car up nice and high? I have an Alltrade Professional 3 ton jack with a 20" lift but it slowly leaks down. I bled it but I don't know how much longer it will last and the only info online is that this jack is apparently almost 15 years old. The model is "#691-J-3-FHA" I believe.

I went to HF to shop for jacks, but the floor model I pumped spewed oil all over the floor and decided my leaky jack was safer than anything HF could offer me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hydraulics are stupid easy to repair as long as the rod isn't worn/rusted. If the jack is going to be turfed anyhow, maybe try to take it apart. You might be able to fix it for $2 worth of O-rings and backups.

Assuming, of course, you are able to disassemble it :buddy:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

slidebite posted:

Hydraulics are stupid easy to repair as long as the rod isn't worn/rusted. If the jack is going to be turfed anyhow, maybe try to take it apart. You might be able to fix it for $2 worth of O-rings and backups.

Assuming, of course, you are able to disassemble it :buddy:

Do you have a good how-to for this? I have a 30+ year old craftsman bottle jack that slowly drops, and would love to rebuild it and make it last another 30+ years.

Ghost edit: Are there specific o-rings that you have to buy for it, or will standard rubber ones do? I have one of those million packs of every size of o-ring ever made and it would be pretty cool if I could just use those.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Haha, the entire jack is held together by clips. But upon googling five minutes after making my previous post, I found this guide, found the oil plug, filled about 1/4 of a quart jack oil bottle and I think this solved my problem. Then I took my grease gun to the Zerk fitting and flushed the grease I also took out the check valve and tons of air bubbles came out when I pumped. Now it seems to hold extremely well.

When it finally decides to die, I'll take a micrometer and get some new Buna/nitrile o rings for it per your suggestion. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorry, no guide but there is really nothing to a hydraulic cylinder. Just make sure you put the items in the right way.

Standard nitrile (the normal black) are generally all that's in them, but the ring back-ups might be made out of something else, urethane is common.

If you do some googling you'll probably find something.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

slidebite posted:

Sorry, no guide but there is really nothing to a hydraulic cylinder. Just make sure you put the items in the right way.

Standard nitrile (the normal black) are generally all that's in them, but the ring back-ups might be made out of something else, urethane is common.

If you do some googling you'll probably find something.

Cool thanks! It is leaking around the piston that pumps the fluid when you pump the handle. Its been kicking around in the back of my truck for the last 3 months dripping fluid all over my bed, this will be a good excuse to end that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody know where I can find a plate-mount USB charging terminal strip that serves 10+ ports?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd also be interested in this, or anything approaching it. (I'd settle for 5, I think)

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I finally killed my original RTX after fifteen loving years of horrible abuse. It still works, but the bearings in the motor (I tried replacing the one on the output shaft) make disturbing noises.

Amusingly enough, the only thing making the three-speed RTX a three-speed, is a spring and detents on the speed knob. It's otherwise completely identical to the infinitely-variable original RTX, and you can even modify it to remove that poo poo.

I killed one 4.9 years into the original 5 year (!) warranty after getting one of those fiberglass cutting wheels stuck in a piece of steel, and got a full replacement kit no questions asked. Even got to keep all of the remaining accessories and the case from the old one, which I hollowed out and now use to hold a junky Chinese impact drill. The replacement RTX (infinitely variable type) is still going strong, although they neutered the warranty quite a bit some years back. I can't remember what they changed it to though.

I also have a Dremel 400XPR, and it was (and still is) inferior in every way. Torque, heat dissipation, everything. It sits on the shelf. I don't think I've even opened the case in at least 3 or 4 years.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Would a dremel of that nature be a good purchase for doing prop work? My girlfriend wants to get into cosplay and I'm looking for a good rotary tool that can carve all sorts of materials.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, I'm really excited... I just picked up a used Mac coolant pressure tester kit with a bunch of adapters. This is babby's first truck-brand "professional" tool, and based on everything I've ever heard, I'm expecting it to be a religious experience.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Adam Savage's workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9AqYaSRjw0

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Krakkles posted:

I'd also be interested in this, or anything approaching it. (I'd settle for 5, I think)

I've done a little looking and haven't found anything, best I can find is individual or dual port plate mount USBs. That would work I guess, but I really want a five or ten strip. I'm building a little 'Hurricane Box' and I want to have something that can convert and invert a bunch of different power sources on the fly. The idea is to have something that can take advantage of any available power source and convert it as needed.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've got a dremel but I have hardly used it much because I've never had any decent bits for it. The dremel branded ones you see in the shops here are very expensive too.

What tools/ends should I be buy for it to actually make it useful? and where can I buy them at sensible prices in the UK? I'd like to be able to cut/grind plastic (e.g car trim) and metal (I've got to enlarge some holes in my landrover dash and a dremel looks ideal if I had a sensible bit for the job).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm looking at generators, is the 4kw Harbor Freight one decent? My primary concern is that whatever I buy can be repaired. Also do I need to buy some sort of power conditioner to run electronics safely?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

I'm looking at generators, is the 4kw Harbor Freight one decent? My primary concern is that whatever I buy can be repaired. Also do I need to buy some sort of power conditioner to run electronics safely?

No, it's junk.

What are you trying to power? There are a lot of better choices depending on what you need for capacity, how often, and whether noise is an issue or not.

I know they're expensive, but Honda EU2000i and 1000is are awesome. Quite, fuel efficient, and you can gang two of them together to make 2000w (1000is) or 4000w (2000is) and run only one or the other when you are under half load. I had 2 2000s on my RV and it was the perfect, reliable, quiet setup. They are also plenty clean to run anything from microwaves to computers with no additional power filtration.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Motronic posted:

No, it's junk.

What are you trying to power? There are a lot of better choices depending on what you need for capacity, how often, and whether noise is an issue or not.

I know they're expensive, but Honda EU2000i and 1000is are awesome. Quite, fuel efficient, and you can gang two of them together to make 2000w (1000is) or 4000w (2000is) and run only one or the other when you are under half load. I had 2 2000s on my RV and it was the perfect, reliable, quiet setup. They are also plenty clean to run anything from microwaves to computers with no additional power filtration.

I want 3kw to run most of my house, which should be plenty. I'm not trying to run central air or anything just the basics for power outages. I live in an area with a lot of trees and poor infrastructure so we lose power 4-5 times a year for between 1-14 days at a time (good god and I live in a metro area too).

Repairability and low noise are my two biggest concerns. I figured I'd solve the noise issue by attaching a car muffler. I really don't want to spend more than 500 at the absolute most, because I won't be using it THAT much.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

Repairability and low noise are my two biggest concerns. I figured I'd solve the noise issue by attaching a car muffler.

Putting a car muffler on a cheap generator does quiet it down some, but the typical Briggs or generic motors on those things minus exhaust noise still sounds like you're throwing a box of silverware down a flight of concrete steps.

revmoo posted:

I really don't want to spend more than 500 at the absolute most, because I won't be using it THAT much.

Welp, you don't have many quality options then unless you get lucky in the used market.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Motronic posted:

Welp, you don't have many quality options then unless you get lucky in the used market.

If it's a choice between having power or not having power during an outage, I don't really think the quality of the unit is going to be a factor. What is so bad about the Chinese generators? I don't mind having to replace main components every once in a while, I can stomach that a lot easier than the 1k+ that a Honda will cost. If they straight-up won't work then that is another matter altogether though.

As for the noise issue, I think I could probably stick the generator in my shed or garage and plumb the exhaust outside, so I'm not too worried about figuring that part out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

If it's a choice between having power or not having power during an outage, I don't really think the quality of the unit is going to be a factor.

Did you think about that before you typed it? Quality is directly related to reliability. I had a cheap generator with a Briggs motor on it for years, and it required an awful lot of service to keep in any sort of shape where I could be reasonably sure that it was going to start in case I needed it.

And that didn't always work out.

revmoo posted:

What is so bad about the Chinese generators?

Not starting when you need them because you have to replace a "main component." I've got 4 of them at the fire house that we picked up cheap to send out on pump details (so, these are not critical emergency devices, just community service/help the homeowners pump out their basement things). Within a year (about 100-200 hours of run time) two of them need new generators - like the electrical side. It costs nearly as much as the generator to replace. On a third one the motor seized. Yes, oil was full and clean. I used a motor off of one of the first 2 failed ones to make that go again. And the 4th runs when it feels like it after 15-20 pulls and studder starts.

revmoo posted:

As for the noise issue, I think I could probably stick the generator in my shed or garage and plumb the exhaust outside, so I'm not too worried about figuring that part out.

Been to at least 2 garage fires and several CO alarm activations in the last several years for people trying to adapt outdoor generators for indoor use.

Try your luck on the cheap one if that's all you want to spend, just don't expect it to always work. And for christ sakes don't try to convert it to inside use. Your insurance company won't even pay you out if you burn the place down doing that because it's gross negligence.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Halfords have their 114-piece toolkit on offer:

Normally £150, down to £100 in-store, but down to £70 online.

Struck me as a good general toolkit if I need to cart one somewhere (i.e. the typical "I done broked my car" phone call from a mate) without burglarising my garage kit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's got a hammer and a hack saw. All you need is to throw in some bailing wire and a roll of duct tape.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Halfords have their 114-piece toolkit on offer:

Normally £150, down to £100 in-store, but down to £70 online.

Struck me as a good general toolkit if I need to cart one somewhere (i.e. the typical "I done broked my car" phone call from a mate) without burglarising my garage kit.

Thanks for the tip-off. Halfords sets always look very tempting - but I can never justify buying a whole new kits when I have 95% of the stuff already, in a crappy box.

Mind you, this:

Seems pretty good for £25

Worth buying to leave in the car.

(once you add a 10mm spanner - who the hell forgets that?)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Thanks for the tip-off. Halfords sets always look very tempting - but I can never justify buying a whole new kits when I have 95% of the stuff already, in a crappy box.

Mind you, this:

Seems pretty good for £25

Worth buying to leave in the car.

(once you add a 10mm spanner - who the hell forgets that?)
I have one of those as well, got it for £15 in a store's clear out.

The point for me of the boxes kits is that they're unitary, and can be kept self contained - as for the garage stuff, I like to double up on hand tools, makes life a lot easier for some jobs (and you can rope a mate in to work in parallel with you).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I have one of those as well, got it for £15 in a store's clear out.

Quality stuff? you'd recommend it?

quote:

The point for me of the boxes kits is that they're unitary, and can be kept self contained - as for the garage stuff, I like to double up on hand tools, makes life a lot easier for some jobs (and you can rope a mate in to work in parallel with you).

That's part of the appeal for me, too. It seems whenever I do something, I either have to carry a big, heavy box filled with stuff I won't use - or split it and stick stuff in a carrier bag.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spog posted:

Followup question, do you feel like James Bond when you pull out that case?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

It's good at the regularly-occurring sale prices, but overpriced at what they (in theory) normally charge. Usual Halfords situation there. Quality is good, perhaps not quite as good as the regular Professional line, but better than most toolkits of that size/type you find. Feels like it'll work and last well if not given outright abuse.

The small one is best for smaller jobs, so I'd recommend it if you pair it (as I did) with a reasonable 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket set to cover the bigger work. It's great for the kind of stuff you find working on interiors and fixing bits around the house, things like that, though.

I've not really had a chance to see what I think of the bigger one yet.

I do have a certain Pokemon tendency with tools, it has to be said. I just kind of like to collect them and then find things to use them on.

Uthor posted:

I'm aiming for more of a Q aesthetic (the Desmond Llewelyn one, not the John de Lancie one).

Seems to end up more toward the Cooter Davenport end of the spectrum much of the time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Uthor posted:

I just bought it.

It's less James Bond and more My First Make-up Case.

It's like the contents of my trousers: everything is there and works just fine, it's just that it is half the normal size.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
In regards to generator chat:

Keep an eye on craigslist. There's always a good Onan or another good brand for sale pretty cheap. Usually a new carb and cleaning brings any of them back to life.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Re: Cheapo generators (well pumps, anyway, but they basically do the same thing):

When I worked for a rental shop, we had a customer who rented a ton of trash pumps from us. The kind with a little Honda motor attached to an impeller for draining pits and the like. Anyway he managed to pick up two Honda lookalikes brand new at an auction for like $500, and wanted us to go over them before he started using them. All the labels were in Russian. One of the pull cords ripped out on the first try. The shutoff switch on another broke right out as soon as I flipped it. poo poo was falling off both of them, and they hadn't even been used yet. I managed to make him one working pump and as far as I can recall, the remaining one never worked. 2 weeks later the "good" one was back into our shop, because the pump came off the engine. Like all four mounting bolts had walked out and were gone. Along with the impeller nut. It wasn't even worth fixing and sat on the floor there until I quit.

Moral is, spend the money on a real Honda, or don't spend it at all. For the amount this guy spent renting pumps, he could have bought several quality ones which would probably still be running.

And for god's sake don't run them indoors.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Price Check..

Selling my Miller 140 Mig with aluminum gun and one of by big tanks (can't remember size but thing is 5 ft tall and about 7-8 inches across). The welder is in great condition and the aluminum gun has never been used, the tank is about 80% full. What do you think is a fair price for it?

My wife and mother went in on a brand new 211 for me and got another aluminum gun and some other fun extras. Selling the 140 to help pay for a plasma cutter and some more steel.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If you were in a hurry and needed to buy a hand tool (let's say a socket or something) locally, and your only options were Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowe's), Master Mechanic (True Value), Craftsman (Sears) or whatever is at Harbor Freight, which would you choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Whichever was closest. I've got sockets from the local auto parts store because saving $5 isn't worth a 20 minute drive. Quality isn't that much different between the major chain stores. If you want something better quality buy it online.

That said, I'd go with the order you listed them, but with sears last.