Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Everyman posted:

So I loved both Lovely Complex and Toradora, but now I'm looking for something where a relationship isn't initially as obvious or work out as expected. The World God Only Knows (the manga ending, at least), Durarara and the original Macross are examples of what I want to see more of as far as relationships go.

I'm pretty interested in seeing characters being mistaken about what they want, coming to terms with the fact that not all relationships are meant to be, learning to move on, or really any dynamic that differs from "on the cover together so meant for each other." Romance doesn't need to be the focus either. I thought the relationships in Durarara were pretty great so a series with characters like that would be right up my alley as well.
Echoing Paradise Kiss, it's exactly what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everyman posted:

So I loved both Lovely Complex and Toradora, but now I'm looking for something where a relationship isn't initially as obvious or work out as expected. The World God Only Knows (the manga ending, at least), Durarara and the original Macross are examples of what I want to see more of as far as relationships go.

I'm pretty interested in seeing characters being mistaken about what they want, coming to terms with the fact that not all relationships are meant to be, learning to move on, or really any dynamic that differs from "on the cover together so meant for each other." Romance doesn't need to be the focus either. I thought the relationships in Durarara were pretty great so a series with characters like that would be right up my alley as well.

In addition to Paradise Kiss and Honey & Clover-which are excellent suggestions, both the Aoi Hana and Wandering Son mangas (they're by Takako Shimura) might fit the bill as well. Wandering Son has a fan-freaking-tastic English version for sale or probably at your library too.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Paracelsus posted:

Honey and Clover sounds right up your alley, at least for the anime version (haven't read the manga).

The anime pretty much follows the manga right up to the lacklustre ending.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

Sure, sure, but he (or she) already watched and enjoyed Madoka so I doubt anything in either Steins:gate or Haibane Renmei will be an issue. I assumed they just wanted to avoid getting suggestions for things like Attack on Titan, Another, or Mirai Nikki.

I should have been more clear when I said no gore. I'm thinking it's more extreme gore/torture that I can't handle. I've been watching Game of Thrones with pretty much no problem, but the end of Season 4, Episode 8 became nightmare fuel for me, even though I closed my eyes when it started to happen (not soon enough unfortunately).

So no extreme gore with horrible screaming.

I own Haibane Renmei and I love it. My husband was watching Attack on Titan and I saw a couple clips and while it looks interesting, the manga is ongoing so I'm assuming the anime doesn't have a real ending.

I've heard good things about Monster, so I've put it in the queue!

I mentioned recent anime because I was really into anime in the 90s and 00s so I've seen a lot of those series.

Some of my favourites with great endings:

Seirei no Moribito
Full Moon wo Sagashite (lots of filler at the beginning but oh so worth it in the end)
Gankutsuou
Princess Tutu
Saber Marionette J and J to X

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for all the recommendations! Its been a while since I've had a backlog that just wasn't what was currently airing, so I'm going to have fun chipping away at these as I find the time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Black Stones posted:

The anime pretty much follows the manga right up to the lacklustre ending.
I really liked the ending. :shrug: Plus it plays even stronger to what he was asking for.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Paracelsus posted:

I really liked the ending. :shrug: Plus it plays even stronger to what he was asking for.

I'd have to read it again to point out exactly what I hated, but there was some things that I really hated and others I found worked really well. Whenever I remember that series I always remember it being incredibly solid until the last little bit. It's still an amazing series though as a weak ending in no way detracts from the rest.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Black Stones posted:

I'd have to read it again to point out exactly what I hated, but there was some things that I really hated and others I found worked really well. Whenever I remember that series I always remember it being incredibly solid until the last little bit. It's still an amazing series though as a weak ending in no way detracts from the rest.
What I remember liking about the ending is how it's willing to face up to how Hagu is a fundamentally broken person that needs things that Yuta could never provide, even if she returned his feelings, without either of them being a bad person because of that, and still recognize his love for her as a good thing. Her final gift to him was a perfect encapsulation of the problem; it was a beautiful gesture, but not the product of a sane mind. I don't remember disliking anything about the ending, but I have particular rose-tinted glasses for that series because I was going through some issues that mirrored Yuta's later in the series at just about the same time the broadcast reached them, and it was actually really helpful to be able to see someone dealing with the same stuff.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
I'm looking for something with good music, good/decent animation, and minimal if any fan service. I like older stuff and I'm not a huge fan of comedy/slice of life, but anything will do. I just finished Infinite Ryvius and though it was pretty good, if that's any indication of what I'm looking for.

Also preferably something with good character design, though I'm not too picky as long as it isn't unClannady valley.

Please help :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Catts posted:

I'm looking for something with good music, good/decent animation, and minimal if any fan service. I like older stuff and I'm not a huge fan of comedy/slice of life, but anything will do. I just finished Infinite Ryvius and though it was pretty good, if that's any indication of what I'm looking for.

Also preferably something with good character design, though I'm not too picky as long as it isn't unClannady valley.

Have you seen Paprika? If not, go watch that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I posted in either this thread or the last one something on a year+ at this point asking for recommendations on less schlocky, more serious/grim action stuff and you guys delivered in spades. I believe you recommended Black Lagoon, LoGH and a few others, and I forget the others but Lagoon and Legend were both exceptional. Since then I've sort of been perusing bits of anime at my own volition but not finding a lot that has clicked with me.

I think I said this last time but Baccano remains very solidly the best anime I've seen so far, with Lagoon and Legend pretty close. Since then I've watched;
  • FMA:B - Good, but I kept losing interest a bit of the way through season 4 and it took me forever to finish.
  • Berserk - Good on the crazy bullshit side, wasn't overly fond of most of the characters but the less human ones were interesting enough.
  • Black Butler - Got two episodes in, liked the Helsing vibe, nothing else really caught me.
  • A Macross movie somewhere, god only knows which one but it was pretty good on the space robits front.
  • Also a Gundam movie, which I absolutely despised vis a vis the characters.
  • Kill La Kill - Five episodes, came away owning the soundtrack but didn't like a lot else about it.
  • Sengoku Basara - Saw the first season, never got around to the second but generally enjoyed it.
  • At least two dozen single episodes of series I never watched again for whatever reason.

Other than those I was looking into Hunter X Hunter but never got around to actually watching it, just saw a few wiki things that looked interesting. So aside from thoughts on that, I guess I could just use more recommendations along the vein of Lagoon, LoGH and the ones I enjoyed. Additionally if there's any anime that is 'tolerable' with a soundtrack like Kill La Kill I'd at least be open to it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hunter x Hunter is fantastic. Its got some of the best/most interesting fights I've seen in an anime thanks to characters being able to have really weird powers (random example: guy punches you, giving you energy and debt that occurs interest; if you fail to pay back this debt by hitting him, the debt grows, eventually rendering you bankrupt and being unable to use any special powers or abilities for a week). It doesn't have any sort of power creep that similar series do, with characters remaining around and doing poo poo even after the arc they're introduced, and even weaker characters without powers can still play important parts. It also has excellent animation throughout.

As for other anime; you should check out Durarara!!. The light novels it's based on are by the same guy who did the Baccano ones (and there's even a few cameos) and it's pretty drat good. Takes place on modern Tokyo.

Double checking to make sure you've seen the Helling OVAs(Hellsing Ultimate) and not just the TV series, since it's way better. Or if you haven't seen the TV series, since it's still pretty good.

The original FMA series is worth checking out at some point. I'd wait a bit, since the first 20-30 episodes are mostly the same, with it diverging significantly after that point.

For shows like FMA:B I'd heavily recommend Soul Eater. It's the same type of action stuff but in a universe with a Tim Burton-ish Halloween aesthetic.

If you want something long and series, and like mystery type stuff, definitely check out Naoki Urasawa's Monster. I won't say anything about the plot because any explanation requires spoiling the first few episodes which have some really good moments. Most I can say is that it explores what it means to be a monster, in a well-written way.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 9, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tiger and Bunny is one of the best shows of the last decade. Its about western style corporate sponsored superheroes. It is mostly lighthearted but can get pretty intense at ti!mes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll hit up Hunter x Hunter first then. As for Hellsing yeah I've seen the TV series, liked it enough to watch it twice over the years and as I apparently mentioned last time I posted haven't seen the OVA. Didn't manage to rectify that yet either so maybe that'll be my first stop. Wasn't aware Durarara was the same guy but probably should have intimated that, will give it a look, thanks.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 9, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Something I forgot to mention; HxH starts out relatively slow at first. The actual pacing is quite fast, adapting more chapters per episode compared to later arcs, but the show doesn't start to get into the crazy powers until the end of the arc/the next few arcs. It's still quite good imo, just tempering your expectations.

e: Actually I'm gonna take that back. The first arc has nothing like later on, but remembering bits from it it does have some fairly crazy stuff. Kinda feel like re-watching it now.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 9, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm usually okay with slow starts so long as it mostly maintains tempo once it speeds up.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Orv posted:

So I posted in either this thread or the last one something on a year+ at this point asking for recommendations on less schlocky, more serious/grim action stuff

Have you seen Psycho-Pass or Fate/Zero yet? Cuz "serious grim actiony stuff" kinda describes those to a T.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have not, but they certainly look directly up my :stare: alley, thanks.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Have you seen Psycho-Pass or Fate/Zero yet? Cuz "serious grim actiony stuff" kinda describes those to a T.

Seconding. I was going to recommend these if no one else did. Also take a look at From the New World, one of the best shows of 2013 that not many people watched, and consequently isn't on the SA top 10 list though it definitely deserves a spot.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Catts posted:

Kids on the Slope (also called Akimichi no Apollon) and Tatami Galaxy, would probably both fit your criteria. It's been a while since I've seen Tatami Galaxy, so I'm not totally sure how good the soundtrack was, but I remember really liking it when I was watching it. And you should watch it anyway because it's a great show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've started reading Dorohedoro on multiple recommendations, and while I still don't quite know what the gently caress is even happening a dozen chapters in, it's got this inescapable charm and surprisingly great humor despite the horrific, gruesome deaths and mutilations practically every five pages or so.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Kids on the Slope (also called Akimichi no Apollon) and Tatami Galaxy, would probably both fit your criteria. It's been a while since I've seen Tatami Galaxy, so I'm not totally sure how good the soundtrack was, but I remember really liking it when I was watching it. And you should watch it anyway because it's a great show.

Tatami Galaxy has a great soundtrack, so I would absolutely recommend it on that. It's just really high quality in general and probably the best anime I've ever seen overall.

Kids on the Slope is also good and definitely worth watching, but not quite as outstanding as Tatami Galaxy.

vvv Absolutely, and if what I said made it sound at all not-great it's only because it had the misfortune of being named alongside Tatami Galaxy which is easily one of the top 3 best anime I've ever seen period, including movies. It's a very solid show and an interesting look at what Japan was presumably like during the 60's.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 11, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kids on the slope is great, has great music, and is gorgeous (with some incredible rotoscope sections). It does have a high dosage of melodrama at points.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I've started reading Dorohedoro on multiple recommendations, and while I still don't quite know what the gently caress is even happening a dozen chapters in, it's got this inescapable charm and surprisingly great humor despite the horrific, gruesome deaths and mutilations practically every five pages or so.

Its pretty amazing to me how charming that manga manages to be, and how endearing all the characters are even though a lot of them are devil worshipping murderers with scary masks. I'm on chapter eighty something now but the way the author initially drip feeds bits of information about the world is awesome. Like you said it is quite often genuinely funny as well. I would strongly recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind violence in their manga.

Also Shin and Noi are such a cute couple.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
speaking of hunter x hunter, I stopped watching JUST when the main old hunter dude finished fighting - this was probably past episode 120 -against the insect king guy and then of course ending with him dying.

What episode was that? I wanted to watch the rest of them.

Also, I've been watching Shinsekai Yori and I like it, but the time jumps are a weird narrative device and I feel kinda confused about what's going on even during the main storyline with the kids. I'm only on episode 3, though. It's pretty neat so far, like I said, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God, I can't believe how good Dorohedoro is. All the characters are fantastic, the art is filthy, grungy, grimy and yet great, the character designs are interesting and unique(and usually revolting), the humor is top notch, and the story while initially complete nonsense (possibly due to the lovely translations) is at least going somewhere now. I am really digging this and I'm only 25 or so chapters in. Nikaide, Noi and Ebisu are all fantastic (especially Ebisu), and Caiman is a really fun "protagonist" who alternates between horrific violence and slaughter, to Goofy-esque silly shenanigans, often in the same chapter. Noi and Nikaide are both surprisingly strong characters, Noi being a hulking Amazonian woman who is the brawler of her duo is a pretty nice change of pace, whenever she's fighting, she actually LOOKS like her blows should be doing the damage they do. I also figured Ebisu would be just another kill tally for Caiman, but she's become just fantastic comic relief after getting rescued, even if she seems to have picked up a few Brain Problems from getting chomped. Noi's ability allows for gruesome mutilation of all the magic-side "protagonists" without them being permanently disfigured, which makes for good comical moments too sometimes!

I'm going to say that this series is a must-read! I hope it keeps up the amazing quality it's had so far. Oh, and Jonson is my favorite gag character. Seeing him in a baseball uniform was something else.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Drifter posted:

speaking of hunter x hunter, I stopped watching JUST when the main old hunter dude finished fighting - this was probably past episode 120 -against the insect king guy and then of course ending with him dying.

What episode was that? I wanted to watch the rest of them.

Also, I've been watching Shinsekai Yori and I like it, but the time jumps are a weird narrative device and I feel kinda confused about what's going on even during the main storyline with the kids. I'm only on episode 3, though. It's pretty neat so far, like I said, though.
The main Netero vs King fight is in episode 126. Episode 127 starts with the nuke exploding.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

God, I can't believe how good Dorohedoro is.

Ebisu is more of a :smith:-tastic relief. Everything she does or experiences is tragicomic, and the sliding scale tends to peak pretty hard on one side or the other at times.

Dorohedoro doesn't stay consistently very high quality, but it never really drops below 'high'. And it will always be unique. There is really nothing quite like it.

The artist is also pretty clever. I said it before and i'll say it again, realizing that you can't draw distinctive faces for poo poo and deciding to give everyone wicked and extremely distinctive masks is a stroke of genius.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Having gone a long time without watching much anime, I've recently gotten into things that are ridiculously over the top and straddle the fine line between super cool, and just awful/corny.

I marathoned Samurai Flamenco (after a friend drew me in by showing me a clip from the fight with the Prime Minister) and the recent Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime up to the latest episode. Anyone have any tonally similar recommendations?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Watch Dirty Pair.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How is Nisekoi? So far I've been operating under the assumption that harem anime is bad and tends to be creepy, and I have heard it described as a harem comedy, but it seems popular and not particularly creepy. Please tell me what think

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The manga was one of the most boring and generic things ever made and I seriously doubt even Shaft could liven it up enough to make it interesting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

How is Nisekoi? So far I've been operating under the assumption that harem anime is bad and tends to be creepy, and I have heard it described as a harem comedy, but it seems popular and not particularly creepy. Please tell me what think

Inoffensive is probably the best way to describe it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Truthism is your go-to for harem comedy hijinks if you're looking for some. It's fantastic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not looking for a recommendation but can someone name a manga I'm trying to think of? It's a recent one, still on-going I think, and it starts with a girl being bought at a slave auction by a skull wizard who makes her his apprentice.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

Not looking for a recommendation but can someone name a manga I'm trying to think of? It's a recent one, still on-going I think, and it starts with a girl being bought at a slave auction by a skull wizard who makes her his apprentice.

I sure can, it's Mahou Tsukai no Yome. Batoto lets you follow manga updates, which is really useful for a lot of manga like this that are more obscure/released less frequently/have weird names.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Genocyber posted:

Ancient Magus Bride?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

I enjoyed it, mostly because its pretty Shaft-y and it strayed from my expectations a few times, in good ways.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

It's basically Love Hina, To Love-Ru and Tenchi all rolled-up into one giant, generic blob with very few saving graces (fairly tame with the fanservice, really funny supporting characters and, in the anime, really great deliveries from almost the whole cast) and, as it's been pointed out, completely inoffensive. The anime is slightly better, thanks in part to the aforementioned shaftisms and the VA's doing a pretty good job.

Captain Invictus posted:

Truthism is your go-to for harem comedy hijinks if you're looking for some. It's fantastic.

Seriously, you're better off reading this.

Anyway, I had a question that, perhaps, could yield a recommendation: Tell me, is there a manga / anime where a tsundere doesn't come off as insufferable? I know this seems like a loaded question and that it's all in the eye of the beholder and whatnot, but when I think about characters that fit into the tsundere mold, I can think of very few examples, like Steins;Gate's Kurisu or Servant x Service's Yamagami, that don't come off as incredibly obnoxious. I used to be okay with the whole fiery attitude and whatnot when I was in high-school / college, but when you start seeing the authors really phoning it in, it kinda felt incredibly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's it, thanks.

• Locked thread