Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Shares From Your Aunt is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Illegal immigrants are coming to America to cosplay! :argh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

RFC2324 posted:

Since when was the draft cancelled?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

It just has not been called on since Vietnam

Selective Service isn't the draft. If we had a draft the US Army wouldn't have to run ads talking about how badass shooting muslims is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The likelihood of the draft coming back any time soon is also pretty slim. Drafted soldiers tend to suck as you get a bunch of people who have no desire to be there. It's been proven that a professional, all volunteer army just plain performs better. Something on the level of WW3 would need to break out for the draft to actually come back.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I don't think any politician would be stupid enough to call for a draft. That would be political suicide.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Peanut President posted:

Selective Service isn't the draft. If we had a draft the US Army wouldn't have to run ads talking about how badass shooting muslims is.

Selective service IS the draft, but the US army has always preferred volunteers. The laws are still in place, and any male over the age of 18 not signed up for it is a felon.

It will just never get called again since it is only worth it if we are in a war and lack enough soldiers. Between our force multiplication technologies, and the fact that we do not lack for poor kids who can be tricked into signing up, this isn't going to happen in our lifetimes.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Angry Tiny Man posted:

Well, that's a white-knighting idiot I never thought I'd see on my feed. Holy poo poo.

Brown is a terrible chucklefuck but those kind of unsubstantiated witch hunts with a picture of a conceivably random person are also really stupid and distasteful.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

Funraisers are cool. Everybody should raise their fun!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sorry little Timmy, your dad has a drug problem so you aren't allowed to eat.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
One of my college friends just shared this:

Cancer from everything, even taking pills with cold water.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm fairly sure Dees cartoons cause more cancer than phone signals. I base this on the extra breathing I do while laughing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So thousands of midgets and cannibals live in Mexico? Who knew...

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Selective service IS the draft, but the US army has always preferred volunteers. The laws are still in place, and any male over the age of 18 not signed up for it is a felon.

It will just never get called again since it is only worth it if we are in a war and lack enough soldiers. Between our force multiplication technologies, and the fact that we do not lack for poor kids who can be tricked into signing up, this isn't going to happen in our lifetimes.

But this brings us back to the main problem with the MRM. Instead of actually getting off their asses and making any sort of effort to get rid of laws or, in the very least, tweak them so that women might be called upon as well, they just want to bitch on reddit forums about how this is all somehow the fault of feminists.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
When you combine slacktivism with awful opinions in an echo chamber, you get the most potent, toxic internet sludge imaginable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

into the void posted:

But this brings us back to the main problem with the MRM. Instead of actually getting off their asses and making any sort of effort to get rid of laws or, in the very least, tweak them so that women might be called upon as well, they just want to bitch on reddit forums about how this is all somehow the fault of feminists.

Well, yes, to some degree. MRA's are pretty much trapped in the victim mentality, because they cannot admit to personal fault.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was a welfare kid for a couple of years growing up, after my parents divorced and my dad refused to support us and the courts wouldn't make child support mandatory. I couldn't imagine people thinking it's okay for me and my sister to starve just because my mom occasionally smoked pot or drank with her friends some weekends. gently caress those assholes.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Not to mention that in practice it costs far more to administer then money saved.

This is ignoring the fact though that drug testing may be needed in a workplace depending in your responsibilities. Drug testing for welfare achieves....?

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

I still don't understand how people could think FDR was a bad president.

I think internment camps and the National Housing Act are very good reasons to say FDR wasn't a good president. He was also very insistent on U.S. control of Southeast Asia after WW2.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Plus drug testing for jobs is completely random and dependent on the employer or management. I've worked for places where everyone got together and smoked weed, places that didn't care if you did drugs in general as long as you didn't show up high, and places that did random drug tests to everyone. Eg clerical workers/call centre that were all nice 50 year old ladies for one company all got drug tested frequently while engineer at big software company got high at work with managers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Plus drug testing for jobs is completely random and dependent on the employer or management. I've worked for places where everyone got together and smoked weed, places that didn't care if you did drugs in general as long as you didn't show up high, and places that did random drug tests to everyone. Eg clerical workers/call centre that were all nice 50 year old ladies for one company all got drug tested frequently while engineer at big software company got high at work with managers.

Every job I had except for my last one all drug tested, so I was surprised that it wasn't a mandatory everywhere. When my fiance applied at the same job in the same department I was in, they drug tested him and he's the sort who'll show up in the crisp button down shirt and dress slacks. The general consensus with my co-workers since the only other guy that got tested also looked as clean cut was that they only bothered testing the people they could presume would pass.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I love this argument because these conservatives/libertarians get mad at the government because their job invades their personal lives for no real reason.

Unless you are working machinery or something, why does it matter if you smoke some pot?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

karl fungus posted:

When you combine slacktivism with awful opinions in an echo chamber, you get the most potent, toxic internet sludge imaginable.

Yeah, just think of GBS.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

As a Norwegian I find it hilarious that american employers can just decide to drug test their workers.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Sandweed posted:

As a Norwegian I find it hilarious that american employers can just decide to drug test their workers.

Yeah, I'm Canadian and it's starting to be a thing here but not really, and it just seems so completely bizarre.

What I don't understand is how the government drug testing welfare recipients wouldn't be, you know, an illegal search. I don't know much about the American legal system, but isn't there a constitutional amendment for that?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
They're introducing it here (Victoria, Australia) on government construction jobs although there's also a bunch of union busting stuff too, so it's probably just the smokescreen for that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dogfish posted:

What I don't understand is how the government drug testing welfare recipients wouldn't be, you know, an illegal search. I don't know much about the American legal system, but isn't there a constitutional amendment for that?

It doesn't matter, they're poor people, they don't have rights.

Seems like another expression of gently caress You Got Mine really, and misguided frustration at their own job doing the exact same invasion of privacy, possibly.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dogfish posted:

Yeah, I'm Canadian and it's starting to be a thing here but not really, and it just seems so completely bizarre.

Well it would be voluntary. If you want the welfare check, you submit to the drug test.

There are plenty of other reasons it's really dumb. In Florida, it ended up costing the state quite a bit of money and caught very few cases. But I'm sure none of that was because the governor owned the company that did the drug testing.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

kazil posted:

Well it would be voluntary. If you want the welfare check, you submit to the drug test.

There are plenty of other reasons it's really dumb. In Florida, it ended up costing the state quite a bit of money and caught very few cases. But I'm sure none of that was because the governor owned the company that did the drug testing.

I can't imagine how that even works. I just feel like if that was implemented here we'd have a Charter challenge underway basically immediately because addiction is classified as a disability. In fact, I think Ontario was floating the idea back in the good ol' Mike Harris days and it basically just got slapped down at the consultation stage because it involved so many human rights violations. Are there no lawyers in Florida?!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Dogfish posted:

I can't imagine how that even works. I just feel like if that was implemented here we'd have a Charter challenge underway basically immediately because addiction is classified as a disability. In fact, I think Ontario was floating the idea back in the good ol' Mike Harris days and it basically just got slapped down at the consultation stage because it involved so many human rights violations. Are there no lawyers in Florida?!

Drugs are illegal. Therefore it is not a disability if you're addicted, you're a criminal, and criminals shouldn't get government help.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

kazil posted:

I love this argument because these conservatives/libertarians get mad at the government because their job invades their personal lives for no real reason.

Unless you are working machinery or something, why does it matter if you smoke some pot?

I got screenshots of this a while ago but never ended up posting it, but here's one idiots rationalizations for it.

tl;dr version is that anyone who spells it "marihuana" in English is an idiot with dumb opinions.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I got screenshots of this a while ago but never ended up posting it, but here's one idiots rationalizations for it.

tl;dr version is that anyone who spells it "marihuana" in English is an idiot with dumb opinions.

My mom posted a "Hurray Let's Test Welfare Recipients!" thing (okay that's not what it actually said, but close enough) and I linked one of the Huff Post articles on why it's a retarded policy. I think she deleted the post because she's not a complete rear end in a top hat, just really ignorant about drugs.

I think it might have been this one. I also recently got a job after being unemployed for a very long time and my estimation of the company before I started went WAAAAY up when I found out I wasn't going to be tested. Yeah, I might not be getting paid much, but the place has turned out to be pretty nice to work at.

Bored has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Jul 13, 2014

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
I was trying to tell my sister why all these sorts of enforcement procedures for welfare and the like are ultimately more expensive than just paying out to people and she just didn't care. She doesn't want to be paying for ~Those People~ that use welfare to get free money and buy drugs and Escalades and houses.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Including being in the military, I have worked for 5 different government organizations at both the state and federal level. Other than being in the military, I have never been drug tested.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SybilVimes posted:

Lend-Lease, and the "Arsenal of Democracy" before it, was pulling US unemployment down already though, which like it or not was an affect of WW2.

So if you're going to be technical, thank you Hitler for being such a crazy rear end in a top hat that it pulled us out of the depression!

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I grew up in a really deprived area with a lot of alcoholics and drug addicts and yeah, gonna reiterate: many of these people have families and even if they are druggies, that is no excuse to let their kids go hungry.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nibbles141 posted:

They're introducing it here (Victoria, Australia) on government construction jobs although there's also a bunch of union busting stuff too, so it's probably just the smokescreen for that.

As someone who works with heavy equipment sometimes, that's pretty much the one place I actually support drug testing. Someone typing poo poo on a computer who cares, but when other peoples' safety is on the line you don't gently caress around.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Gerry is the fake Marine girl I've posted about before (currently unemployed and no education past high school). Tucker is her boyfriend (whom she calls her fiance, and claims they're engaged, but they've known each other less than a year and he refuses to even mark himself as in a relationship with her). She has one two-year old already that she can't afford to support on her own. Girl is thirsty as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
One of my teachers reposts one of those "drug test welfare queens" images like every 2-3 weeks. Every time people tell her why it's stupid (including former students who were receiving welfare/SNAP/WIC). Every time she's like "oh, that's a good point". But then she posts them again.

• Locked thread