Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm playing 2HG today. I know Woo is usually looked at with some skepticism, but this article seems logical. Does the advice apply? Anyone have any words about the format (aside from "try to have fun" and "go white to reset your life to 30"?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

I came in second with a nice Rakdos deck with Soul of Shandalar, Goblin Rabblemaster, Nightfire Giant and Paragon of Fierce Opposition. The winner simply had an unfair pool, he went black, managed to open another promo and got 2 spectra wards in his remaining packs. He won every game 2-0 and was usually done playing in 15-20 minutes.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boxman posted:

I'm playing 2HG today. I know Woo is usually looked at with some skepticism, but this article seems logical. Does the advice apply? Anyone have any words about the format (aside from "try to have fun" and "go white to reset your life to 30"?)

Yeah, the advice seems pretty good, and the 'build 1 5-color, 80 card deck, then split it into a 3-color and a 2-color' seems like a good way to handle deckbuilding in 2-HG.
There are other deckbuilding options, but all his advice in that article is applicable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Do you guys think this core set has avoided any "Thundermaw Hellkite" situations were a single mythic goes to ludicrous prices after the set stops being opened and being the only in demand card? All the planeswalkers are new, already seeing standard play or returning after long absence, and I don't think any except maybe Ajani can be written off for standard. Souls are at least EDH cards, some with standard potential. The legendary cards are interesting to build around, as is Waste Not. Maybe most all, I actually want to draft this set, and I think much more will be opened before Tarkir. Sound right?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellkite was ludicrously expensive because:

1) Dragon.
2) It was a good 5 drop that did a lot as soon as you played it, like swinging in for free.
3) It's a Dragon.
4) It's aggressively costed.
5) It's a loving Dragon.
6) Did I mention it's a Dragon?

But seriously I honestly can't think of a card in M15 that soars over all the other rares in this set.

Except Chandra because she's the best.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Has anyone else's stores had issues with prize allocations? My lgs ran out of prize packs and is essentially offering ious on further prizes at this point.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Shavnir posted:

Has anyone else's stores had issues with prize allocations? My lgs ran out of prize packs and is essentially offering ious on further prizes at this point.

Our store canceled the Sunday Pre-release due to overwhelming response on Friday and Saturday. I had to miss the pre-release due to a wedding, fairly bummed. Oh well release day draft here I come!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Shavnir posted:

My LGS had this happen too, but it's a regular thing - like, they always give out a shitton of prize support for pre-release, so they expect to run out. Does anyone know how much prize support WotC gives? My store puts 4 packs per person into the pool.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Boxman posted:

My LGS had this happen too, but it's a regular thing - like, they always give out a shitton of prize support for pre-release, so they expect to run out. Does anyone know how much prize support WotC gives? My store puts 4 packs per person into the pool.

Wizards sends 2 packs per person?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Boxman posted:

Wow, for 6 per person total, or do you mean that's including the 2 that Wizards puts in? Either way that's really good. A lot of places just do the mandatory minimum 2 that Wizards provides.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

I wouldn't call Mono U devotion an aggro deck really, although it could be really explosive if you get a few Cloudfins and Judges out early. I would call it almost a tempo deck, just because I run a few maindeck Negates to stop big Planeswalker/kill spell threats. Let them use their removal on your little things, just because you get most of your devotion from things that are harder to remove (Thassa, Bident, Jace) and then grind it out because you will always get better draws through that Jace/Thassa/Bident card draw machine. Then drop a Master when they are spent and swarm through any creatures they have, or wait for your overloaded Cyclonic Rift at the end of their turn.

I wouldn't 100% agree with this. If you're winning with MonoU, you're aggroing out people a lot of the time. The deck does have ways to go longer but that isn't what it does best. (ie if there is a lot of control in your meta, don't play this.) The reason you want to play it is that it has draws that are just as explosive as hell and impossible to beat for most decks if it curves out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Serperoth posted:

Look at this old nerd man, he probably buys his cards with his pension money, along with that rad Spongebob T-shirt. I wonder if he even knows what the colour pie is.

Picture taken at the employee prerelease, and he says that it's not the NERF version, and slightly smaller than a to-scale replica.

It's like a nerdy sadder version of Gran Torino.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mark Rosewater is a (nerdy) gem you shut up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

goferchan posted:

Wow, for 6 per person total, or do you mean that's including the 2 that Wizards puts in? Either way that's really good. A lot of places just do the mandatory minimum 2 that Wizards provides.

The local store here does 4 packs per person in the prize pool (4 rounds, 2 packs for a win, 1 pack for a draw), but of course you're paying for at least some of that extra product in the entry fee. Two extra packs per person isn't a huge proportional increase though, and I guess they figured that having a generous prize pool was overall better than running it as cheap as possible.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Wizards sends 2 packs per person?

Okay, that's cool to know. My store does 4 packs total, but only pays the top half. It makes it so that the "core demo" of the pre release - the people who don't really play competitively - don't get anything, but 5-0 gets something like 26 packs. Even 3/2 is a good payout, and it's not too hard to hit that unless your pool is trash (hello my late sealed yesterday!)

I'm under the impression that our weekly prize support is on the low end of acceptable, so this balances it out a little.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At my not-so-great-as-far-as-cards-are-concerned LGS you got a single booster for 2 wins, 3 for 3 wins, and I think 7 for 4 (w/o a split) with around 20 people attending.

The other place had a regular sized prize pool despite similar number of attendees, so I'll probably be going there for Khans.

E:they did have a raffle, though, which included 2 M14 promo boosters that had scavenging oozes.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 13, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Went Red, opened a pretty weak pool. My rares (outside of the promo) were Mass Calcify, Return to the Ranks, Mercurial Pretender, Hoarding Dragon, Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient and Sliver Hive. Unfortunately, not a single Cone of Flame, no real removal outside of one Lightning Strike. :smith:
I decided to go Red/Blue, mostly because of double Welkin Terns and double Frost Lynxes, and I splashed green to turn on Kird Chieftain and added Feral Incarnation at the top end. Ended up going 2-2.

As expected, Frost Lynxes are excellent tempo plays and allowed me to put my opponent on the defense pretty easily. Feral Incarnation fired off quicker than I expected it to in most games, often times on turn 6, and put real pressure on.

Both matches I lost were to Black/White decks with Spectra Ward. The final match was a guy who chose black and was rewarded with Spectra Ward, Spiritbond, Mass Calcify, and the life-reset Angel. :argh:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
My store did 1.5 packs plus $10 store credit per player, 25ish showed up for the flight I played in. Top 8 got 1 pack and store credit (shared 1st place with the other 4-0 and got $55, friend in 8th place got $20), 9-12 got some number of packs each, and everyone else got 1 pack.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I think Naturalize might be maindeckable in m15 sealed. Spectra Ward is so brutally overpowered, and I guess there are some other targets for it too like Will-Forged Golem or any equipment.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

At my not-so-great-as-far-as-cards-are-concerned LGS you got a single booster for 2 wins, 3 for 3 wins, and I think 7 for 4 (w/o a split) with around 20 people attending.

The other place had a regular sized prize pool despite similar number of attendees, so I'll probably be going there for Khans.

E:they did have a raffle, though, which included 2 M14 promo boosters that had scavenging oozes.

That doesn't seem like a great payout.

4-0 22
3-0-1 15
3-1 7

Plus everyone automatically gets 1 pack. You don't get the prize boosters till this friday, but thats not a big deal to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bugsy posted:

4-0 22
3-0-1 15
3-1 7

Plus everyone automatically gets 1 pack. You don't get the prize boosters till this friday, but thats not a big deal to me.

That seems pretty generous but your place no doubt has a much higher throughput, and cards are probably core to its business.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Was that for the midnight one or for the Saturday one?

Cause the later you go the more off-beat the prize pools get at most places. Since they only get so many packs for pre-release.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Was that for the midnight one or for the Saturday one?

Cause the later you go the more off-beat the prize pools get at most places. Since they only get so many packs for pre-release.

If you're asking me, it was 9am Saturday. There were two more later that day, and two more today.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Who pulled a Chain Veil ... THIS GUY

Not good for limited!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

En Fuego posted:

Who pulled a Chain Veil ... THIS GUY

Not good for limited!

Pfft, mine's foil.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pfft, mine's foil.

What up fellow Chain Veil openers :hfive:

E: does anyone else hold the opinion that they juice the hell out of the seeded sealed boxes? I opened 3 Mythics (Soul of Theros in the seeded pack plus the Chain Veil and Perilous Vault) and I was running in to Souls and Planeswalkers all day. Foil Chandra made an appearance and one kid opened a Nissa/Foil Nissa/Hornet Queen/Chord of Calling box in the flight after mine. Lots of Urborgs opened up in the black boxes too.

BXCX fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 13, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, I got that impression as well. I played against 7 opponents and something like 5 of them had a soul or two.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

BXCX posted:

What up fellow Chain Veil openers :hfive:

E: does anyone else hold the opinion that they juice the hell out of the seeded sealed boxes? I opened 3 Mythics (Soul of Theros in the seeded pack plus the Chain Veil and Perilous Vault) and I was running in to Souls and Planeswalkers all day. Foil Chandra made an appearance and one kid opened a Nissa/Foil Nissa/Hornet Queen/Chord of Calling box in the flight after mine. Lots of Urborgs opened up in the black boxes too.

With just 8 people I saw 3 Chandra's, all the souls and about 6 or 7 extra of the promos. I think 3 or 4 people opened Urborg aswell.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah? I chop a hole in your head and then I go in the house... and I sleep like a baby. You can count on that. We used to stack fucks like you five feet high in Dominaria... use ya for sandbags.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I am so looking forward to chord of calling being standard. It makes infinite combos just a bit easier to pull off.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't 100% agree with this. If you're winning with MonoU, you're aggroing out people a lot of the time. The deck does have ways to go longer but that isn't what it does best. (ie if there is a lot of control in your meta, don't play this.) The reason you want to play it is that it has draws that are just as explosive as hell and impossible to beat for most decks if it curves out.

I agree. Mono-U is basically the king of the aggro decks in Standard, in that it beats all the other aggro decks and that it has tools (Bident, Nightveil, Thassa) to play a slightly longer game than other aggro decks. It's not quite as fast as Mono-R or WW decks, which is why the control matchup is a little tougher, but against midrange decks it's very well suited to win the race with all the built in evasion, and Master of Waves is like a mini version of Elspeth, in that if you don't have a way to deal with it the turn after it comes into play, you probably just lose.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Living the dream with no losses all day long.

Pulled two freaking planeswalkers and all sorts of other goodies and pushed right into the late game with deathtouch rats and slivers and what not. MVP was the Meteorite because man, getting all three colors was a bit rough at times. But hell yeah! All the prizes and good stuff! Wooooooo!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Bugsy posted:

4-0 22
3-0-1 15
3-1 7

I went 4-0 at my prerelease and got six packs. Yaaaaay.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So how many people lived, or saw someone else live, the Turn 2 5/5 Ornithopter dream?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
The store I play at does 8 packs for 4-0, 6 for 3-0-1, and 4 for 3-1. Everyone else gets a pack for playing. It is pretty nice since even if you do horrible and go 0-4 you still get a pity pack.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Tezzeract posted:

MTGO is a successful piece of technology in my opinion. But like all legacy systems, it's missing the bleeding edge UI polish that people assume it should have. And it's not quite what people expect out of a videogame. Jon probably wanted MTGO to compete with the best of the best without understanding how insane the codebase is to extend.

It sounds like the guy had good intentions but didn't have the clout to implement his vision.

It is a success as a product but you're straight ignorant if you think it's a success as technology. It's poo poo at every level and barely keeps together. V3 was rushed out early because V2 literally could not support the next set (Shadowmoore i think)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

5 round prerelease, only one I got to attend this weekend due to work. Went 4-1, nobody went 5-0 I don't think.

6 packs, got black soul, avacyn and sliver hivelord, sold sliver hivelord for £15, the other 3 prize packs were J/B/T.

that 15 means I spent a tenner for a pre-release box, the prize packs, a pack of sleeves and a drink. not bad.

My pool was okay, but I had no good removal except in blue, and my blue wasn't worth playing.

A lot of the games were quite close, but I had Liliana Vess and Soul of Shandalar as well as Siege Dragon and 2 Generator Spirit or w/e he's called. I also had a Goblin Rabblemaster, and everyone was desperate to kill him. He did a good bit of work though.

MVP was the Necrogen Scudder though, along with Feast on the Fallen doing some work.

Most opponents also had little to no removal, though a few opponents had the 5 damage and destroy equipment thing.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Played in a pre-release today and chose blue, scrubbed out at 1-3. The only blue cards I opened were the ones from the seeded pack minus an Ensoul Artifact from one of the boosters. I didn't want to play black, but I ended up having to go B/G/W because the cards I opened in the other packs were just that much better. The only good rares I opened were a Battlefield Forge, a Llanowar Wastes, and an Avacyn. No one out of the 18 people at the release today opened any planeswalkers or souls. Everyone except me and 3 others chose seeded packs that weren't either Black or White.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Played in my 3rd prerelease today and went 5-0. I had just a terrific synergistic pool playing UW. Just a ton of great tempo plays like Void Snare and Into the viod were terrific, I had a tripilicate spirits and a sound the alarm which are solid as usual and Avacyn and Spectral Ward as curve toppers. Quickling and Dauntless River Marhshal are just terrific too. Quickling my Constricting Sliver after he played a Soul of Theros to switch targets and exile the soul was a highlight.

In the my 3 prereleases I pulled 3 unplayable Sliver Hivelords, that piece of poo poo Chain Veil and nothing else good. Even my 11 prize packs were light as hell. Just a Chandra and a few pain lands.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Does anyone know why MTG Top 8 has apparently crapped itself and why all the content's missing?

• Locked thread