Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
e: Update on previous page

I'm not sure if it would be better or worse if the game hid Keat's chapters until you'd beaten Ellen's. On the one hand, it would make the "is Ellen hallucinating" plot point more impactful because you wouldn't have a definite second witness for a while. Keats does still show up, but you could still say he wasn't really there.

On the other hand, it would probably make the game feel like much more of a slog. The way it's done, you don't have to feel too much like you're retreading old ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
what the hell. I still don't really get what was going on there. Ryan badgered her, and then collapsed somehow? I guess Renaldo tripped when he was confronting her? I still think there's more going on than Ellen remembers. I think, whatever Ellen summoned, it's the true culprit.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I KNEW the Faery Lord couldn't be trusted! :argh:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I caught up on everything since the first quests video now. That was cool. If the rest of the game had bosses, cutscenes and quests this engaging maybe the game would have done better.

I wasn't expecting to see the Necronomicon here. Between that and Judge Yama we're getting pretty far from the game's european roots. Not that I'm complaining.

The way I see it Ellen summoned a Halflive that went on the murder spree. Probably Scarecrow.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Spatula City posted:

what the hell. I still don't really get what was going on there. Ryan badgered her, and then collapsed somehow? I guess Renaldo tripped when he was confronting her?

I really can't answer what happened to Ryan outside my own speculation which is it looked like he was clutching his chest, so something gave him a heart attack which in turn killed him. As for Renaldo, his death was more of an accident when he assaulted Cecilia, she pushed him to get him away but pushed too hard and sent him over the cliff. (Serves him right. Any good person knows you never point your back to a cliff edge. :colbert: poo poo like that is BOUND to happen when you do a stupid thing like that.)

Spatula City posted:

I still think there's more going on than Ellen remembers. I think, whatever Ellen summoned, it's the true culprit.

Joking aside, I agree with some of this statement. Possibly what killed Ryan, or at least gave a helping hand to it, is what Ellen/Cecilia met under the Henge and maybe it also helped push Renaldo over the cliff, I'm not sure. However, I have this wild speculation.

Keats is Herve. I had this odd thought about who Cecilia was prior to the reveal but given how this game is going, I wouldn't put it past it to do a double whammy of have the two focused characters both be someone else and come back to figure out what happened all those years ago.

I mean, if you think back ALL the way to Keats' chapter 1 quests, he MEETS Herve, with the little guy saying how he loved the exact magazine Keats is working for and I think he even mention how he'd like to work for them some day. Possibly, to save Herve, the mysterious being Cecilia met whisked Herve away and left a false body, making people think he was dead, put him elsewhere, like an orphanage or a foster home, gave him a new name, and let him live a "happy" life with no memory from before that time. Then again, I could be looking too closely at this game and talking out my rear end.

GimmickMan posted:

The way I see it Ellen summoned a Halflive that went on the murder spree. Probably Scarecrow.

And before I forget, I agree with GimmickMan in thinking Ellen/Cecilia spawned/summoned Scarecrow or at least gave him form. It would make sense why he's helping Ellen the way he is, but also why he has suddenly vanished. She's starting to remember and if she fully remembers, she's going to hate him and/or make him vanish just like Gam and Gee.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
uh, wow, the "Keats is Herve" theory also occurred to me, but I thought it was too crazy/made no loving sense.
But, uh, you look at Keats, and you look at Herve, and just based on appearance it seems weirdly plausible.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Whoa whoa questions are getting answered and things are starting to actually make sense. We can't have that. I bet this is building up to a ridiculous twist like Cecilia being Ellen and Herve being Keats.

I have no idea how it would even work for the last one but they will find a way.

I said this in jest way back in page 13 and now it actually seems plausible. :psyduck: Keats doesn't seem to have a backstory at all, and is still a fish out of water even now that we're near the endgame. If he is Herve, it would explain why he got called to Doolin/Dulin and also give him some kind of personal stake on all this mess.

Maybe Ellen's wish did come true and Herve didn't die after all. Or a changeling died in his place and the real Herve got spirited away, eventually becoming Keats.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Okay. I'm watching the grinding video, and Major_JF brings up the witch halflive, and all I can think of is, "Wait. Fat witch. Hedgehog. Nanny Ogg?!"

I'll probably edit this after the video where the Faery Lord apparently stops pretending to be a bad guy and just comes out and says it.

I mean, c'mon, going along with a Sidhe? Since when does that end well for anyone?

Edit: Well, I certainly didn't see that coming. Goddamn.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 7, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Captain Bravo posted:

I almost forgot, I'm pretty sure Damona is a reference to the Witches in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. The books with the witches in them always have hedgehog references, often referring to the off-color Hedgehog Song, with a refrain of "The Hedgehog can't be buggered". So that's why there's a hedgehog on her shoulders.

Great minds think alike!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Keats is Herve, Herve is Keats seemed plausible just based on appearance and dress alone, but Herve being (theoretically) dead put a squash on that quickly. But since the entire game appears to just have been Ellen's imagination after all, who knows?

If the Netherworld and talking to dead people goes down the route of "it was only a dream," aaaaaaaaaaa

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm staying out of the current discussion because we're finally getting to the parts of the game I remember, so instead, have Ellen's Bestiary for Chapter 5. The Keats videos should start this weekend - I've had to redo a few, but the first one is ready to go and I think the second one is pretty close.

I'm also thinking about going through off-camera and testing every status effect on every Folk, probably once I get to the endgame grinding portion where I have access to all of them. Knowing for sure which status effects work on each Folk will probably suggest some better strategies than what I've listed in the early Bestiary entries - at least from chapter 3 on, where there are useful Folks for those effects.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't really have much to say about this video - Keats finds his portal to Hellrealm, and we're seeing Ellen's story from the outside much as we did in the prologue. There are long portions of the chapter that are identical between the two characters, much more so than prior chapters, so if you're watching directly on Youtube, I added annotations so you can skip those parts. If not, then grab a book or something.

Keats Chapter 5 - Investigation Youtube

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

If not, then grab a book or something.

Ah, fortuitous! I was just making my way through Feet of Clay for the fourth time anyway.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Scribbleykins posted:

Ah, fortuitous! I was just making my way through Feet of Clay for the fourth time anyway.

I've been making slow progress in Raising Steam myself, and I think it's a great argument against anyone who says Terry Pratchett's losing his edge.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Man, I need to get the more recent Pratchett books. I'm probably more than a few behind, now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If Keats is really Herve then I guess he looks older than he is... Or maybe Ellen is older than she looks. I was sure Keats was older than Ellen by a fair bit.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This one, I can field. The manual says that Ellen is 22 (so she was 5 when the events of 17 years ago took place) and that Keats is 27.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

This one, I can field. The manual says that Ellen is 22 (so she was 5 when the events of 17 years ago took place) and that Keats is 27.

Interesting. If I had a better memory I'd know at what age Herve supposedly died.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's time for more combat as Keats, and I know you've been missing his Folks, so I'm using a few that we haven't seen for a while in this video. Some of the ones I never bothered to use or build up when I played through this game the first time turn out to be very impressive once you give them a chance. Unfortunately, there's very little new to see in this video, since Ellen and Keats share a significant number of Folks in this chapter and most of the rest are just recolors/re-elements, but I will show you the best way to fight a Fomoire, as well as Keats' final downloadable costume. No, you haven't seen it yet, and yes, it's pretty neat. I said there was little new to see, but certainly not nothing.

Keats Chapter 5 - Combat First Half Youtube

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I found a better shot of the alt transformation on the Folklore wiki

and just for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYIa9qQFK6g

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting seeing Keats about. He seems like he was designed to be played second.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

It's interesting seeing Keats about. He seems like he was designed to be played second.

Sometimes that's true, and sometimes (like fighting the boss of this chapter), I think he was clearly intended to be played first, because Ellen's Folks are less versatile and more challenging to use properly. Story-wise, I'd say that the prologue, chapter 3, and chapter 5 seem to be made to play Ellen first, chapters 1 and 4 for Keats first, and chapter 2 really doesn't seem to matter either way, but Ellen first might flow better just because her ending comes before his. I think it would be interesting to play as either character up to chapter 4 first, learn that Ellen is Cecilia, then go back and play as the other character from the start with that in mind. I, of course, knew that the whole time, so the clues really stood out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I pretty much did that when I played. I did Keats 1 then Ellen 1 and decided I didn't like her playstyle so I just kept playing Keats til the game forced me to switch.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

mateo360 posted:

I found a better shot of the alt transformation on the Folklore wiki

and just for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYIa9qQFK6g
Oh man, he's Kamen Rider, that's amazing. :allears:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Oh man, he's Kamen Rider, that's amazing. :allears:

You're making me wish I'd kept that skin for the rest of the game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Nidoking posted:

You're making me wish I'd kept that skin for the rest of the game.
Only if he wore it for cutscenes.

Because that would be AMAZING.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Only if he wore it for cutscenes.

Because that would be AMAZING.

I'm quite confident that it's impossible to enter a cutscene in Transcension form. The scene where he first transforms is, as far as I can tell, pre-rendered with the normal form. It's possible that I'm wrong about this, but I don't really want to spend the time trying.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Is Boggart doing a rock-paper-scissor-esque attack when you combo with it? If that is the case, its a nice touch.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The joy of being at the endgame at last is that I no longer have to wait until I finish posting the videos for each chapter to start recording the next chapter, so I got a significant head start this time. JamieTheD and I recorded the grinding video this past weekend, which finishes up the videos for this chapter, and the chapter 6 video is ready for commentary. (It's a very short chapter.) In honor of my advanced progress, as I did before, I'm stepping up the pace to two videos per week until I'm caught up. Today, we join Keats as he climbs Condemnation Tower, the part of the game infamous for having way too many Folks in a single room. We dealt with that as Ellen, but that's nothing to what Keats will face. On the plus side, most of the Folks here are pretty good, and one of them is arguably the best Fire element so far. Pictured below is the first you'll tend to see of it.

Keats Chapter 5 - Combat Second Half Youtube

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Nidoking posted:

The joy of being at the endgame at last is that I no longer have to wait until I finish posting the videos for each chapter to start recording the next chapter, so I got a significant head start this time. JamieTheD and I recorded the grinding video this past weekend, which finishes up the videos for this chapter, and the chapter 6 video is ready for commentary. (It's a very short chapter.) In honor of my advanced progress, as I did before, I'm stepping up the pace to two videos per week until I'm caught up. Today, we join Keats as he climbs Condemnation Tower, the part of the game infamous for having way too many Folks in a single room. We dealt with that as Ellen, but that's nothing to what Keats will face. On the plus side, most of the Folks here are pretty good, and one of them is arguably the best Fire element so far. Pictured below is the first you'll tend to see of it.

Keats Chapter 5 - Combat Second Half Youtube

I appreciate the UHF reference in honor of Al's fresh #1 album victory. And I guess the AtLA reference was in honor of Nick recently driving Korra off the air.

I do wish grinding karmas was more fun for you in general though since those Hellevators really suck from a creative backgrounds and encounter design standpoint. At least your folks' power levels seem to be pumping up nicely.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I appreciate the UHF reference in honor of Al's fresh #1 album victory. And I guess the AtLA reference was in honor of Nick recently driving Korra off the air.

I do wish grinding karmas was more fun for you in general though since those Hellevators really suck from a creative backgrounds and encounter design standpoint. At least your folks' power levels seem to be pumping up nicely.

Both references were coincidental in that sense, I assure you - I recorded this commentary a few weeks ago, and neither of those bits of news were available before yesterday. But my LP career has been full of coincidences like that, and I fully embrace them. If you choose to blame me for Korra going off the air, fair enough - Weird Al's success would then also be on my shoulders, and I'm happy enough with that.

Grinding Karmas usually isn't all that painful, particularly if you're actually concentrating on doing it as opposed to incidentally clearing whatever objectives happen to be convenient while you move forward in the game. My mom's been playing through the game recently and stops at every portal to go grind Karmas, but I don't think she specifically grinds for items. I'll have to ask. She still loves the game, so the grinding can't be as painful as it looks. I also happen to enjoy looking for amusing things that happen during the grinding videos, as well as seeing some of the Folks I neglected during my first playthrough become viable fighters - I demonstrated for my mom a few weeks ago how even Folks like Worthhog and Shefro can be useful, although it's quite a stretch.

The elevators are pretty contrary to the rest of the game, though, since they're almost the only place you can't just run through if you don't feel like fighting everything. I think it's neat, though, that the elevators and one other section of the game are used to great effect in quests that take advantage of their unique properties. Maybe less so in the case of the elevators, since there's a very simple mechanic that can turn any room into a last man standing scenario, but given the number of quests that take place in Condemnation Tower, I think they took full advantage of what they had. (As for the other area I'm talking about, tune in this weekend for the most annoying quest yet. I'm not kidding.)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Double-sicklescythe Keats owns and Rider Keats owns harder.

That is all I need to say.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
BTW I'd like to request a co-commentator spot from your mom for some layman's reaction to late-game play. TheDowagerNidoQueen must be heard!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

BTW I'd like to request a co-commentator spot from your mom for some layman's reaction to late-game play. TheDowagerNidoQueen must be heard!

That would be a little tough to do. For one thing, she doesn't get down to visit very often; I usually visit her, and I can't really bring my recording setup to her place. The guest recording setup I have here is less than ideal, and took a bit of doing to set up, and the quality wasn't as great as I'd have liked - not to mention that the gameplay didn't end up synching with the live recording, so I had to do some manipulation in post, and I HATE doing that. Further, I'm only expecting two more videos for guest commentary (unless you guys want me to leave in extra grinding for the final chapter), and both slots are filled - JamieTheD will obviously be coming back for the final set of Folks, and my other guest has been contacting me regularly asking when he's going to get his moment in the sun, so that's another reason. Finally, my mom's already up to chapter 5, so she's neither a layman nor probably interested in seeing the endgame before getting there herself. So I was wrong when I said it would be a little tough to do. It would be a lot tough to do. (Besides, I don't think she would enjoy the LP lifestyle, even for a single video. Perhaps some other game, some other time.)

Speaking of tough to do, I'll just toss this update at you today. As you'll quickly be able to tell, I don't like this quest very much. It does some really neat things with the game mechanics that I can appreciate, but it seems too crowded to me. You have to do three different things, three times each, and it goes on way too long for the eventual reward. I'm pretty sure this quest came bundled with two for Ellen - the quests tend to come in pairs, with one giving you a Rare Folk and the other giving you one of the items you need to build up that Folk, and the third a standalone quest for the other character that by necessity can't offer any unique prize. The result is as you see - someone forgetting that duration doesn't always increase perceived value or fun factor. Angry Joe yelling FOUR HOURS in slow motion is a bad thing for full games, but it can be a bad thing for the opposite reason when it comes to DLC objectives.

Keats Chapter 5 - Quests First Part Youtube

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Ah well. The goony path is not for everyone. Next time Mommaking.

Speaking of doing things for yourself, those rebelves totally could have busted their own dang puzzle crystals. I understand not being able to overcome guardian forces without player-character level powers, but come on now. The lights out memorystone thing was just them being lazy. That said, the clock door efforts were clever enough to make the skill-shot part seem like really lame level design. The latter's difficulty comes from the odd forced folk choice on top of the goofy engine physics instead of just being interesting puzzles made out of the game itself. Even if the quest prize were good, it wouldn't be quite worth it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't know whether memory stones can be broken by anything other than Folks, and I don't believe that anyone other than a Messenger can use Folks.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

While the quest wasn't very fun, the video was entertaining so there's that!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

minusX posted:

While the quest wasn't very fun, the video was entertaining so there's that!

Thanks. I do try to keep the entertainment value up throughout, regardless of the quality of the game.

Also, my mom was rather amused that anyone wanted to hear her commentary and is looking into a situation where visiting me more frequently would be on the table, so that might actually happen. It also means I need to get this place in a livable condition, but that's what contractors and buttloads of money are for. My Browneys clearly aren't doing their jobs very well.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

After some thought, I've decided that Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings are a more regular update schedule than Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings, so here's the next update. This one's actually fun, especially if you liked Keats' scythe Folks, but it's also short - this is the shortest video of the chapter, I believe, and it's got two quests in it. Neither takes very long, and they're both pretty rewarding, so you won't want to miss these if you're playing along. Both of the new Rare Folks have something in common, as well - see if you can guess what it is! (It has to do with the game's mechanics.)

Keats Chapter 5 - Quests Second Part Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, those were some sad excuses for quests there. Fight a bunch of boggarts, how threatening.

• Locked thread