Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tiggum posted:

This is one of the changes I just don't get. It really stands out, especially when you set your gang type to cops or soldiers. Why aren't women allowed to be police or soldiers in Steelport?
A while back the Daily Bloody Mail led a tabloid campaign against disgusting video games where you can kill innocent women and children. Most games just cut out the kids, but a lot of them started to close down on women so they couldn't be accused of being misogyny simulators. Which led to a backlash of games being 'edgy' by killing women. Which led to Tropes vs Women. Which leads to more women in games, which will presumably lead to another campaign by the Daily Mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A while back the Daily Bloody Mail led a tabloid campaign against disgusting video games where you can kill innocent women and children. Most games just cut out the kids, but a lot of them started to close down on women so they couldn't be accused of being misogyny simulators. Which led to a backlash of games being 'edgy' by killing women. Which led to Tropes vs Women. Which leads to more women in games, which will presumably lead to another campaign by the Daily Mail.

Given that it's an American game not a British one and there are plenty of female pedestrians whom you can kill, I doubt there's any connection there. Also, what games are there where you can kill kids?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tiggum posted:

Given that it's an American game not a British one and there are plenty of female pedestrians whom you can kill, I doubt there's any connection there. Also, what games are there where you can kill kids?

You could kill kids in the American versions of Fallout and Fallout 2. (There are no kids in Euro Fallout 2.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tiggum posted:

The Mail is like a middle class version of fox news and this was around the time Jack Thompson was going nuts over San Andreas, so it was kind of a media-wide thing. US news seemed to be going on about it just as much as we were in the UK.

e: specific facts are inaccurate, I just remember there being a lot of attention on 'murder simulators' around the time and fox / the mail centerings on killing women & children. One could argue that you're not encouraged to kill civilians but you are encouraged to kill police.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 13, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Honestly it's probably just something as simple as they didn't get around to making a model for female cops. NPCs in SR3 are all fully modeled rather than just being a base with different clothing applied to them like the player so if they don't specifically make female versions, they won't show up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly it's probably just something as simple as they didn't get around to making a model for female cops. NPCs in SR3 are all fully modeled rather than just being a base with different clothing applied to them like the player so if they don't specifically make female versions, they won't show up.

Right, in SR2 all NPCS are made with the same character creator as the player, so it's just a matter of setting the ranges that sliders can be in for different "factions" of NPCs, whereas every NPC in 3 was handcrafted. Simple as that, it's not some Political Correctness Gone Mad thing.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

prefect posted:

(There are no kids in Euro Fallout 2.)

No, they're there, (the little pickpocketing fuckers) they're just invisible.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Tiggum posted:

Although they're not explicitly children, my favorite dialogue was the pedestrians in the earlier games that exclaimed "When I get a fake ID I'm gonna own this town!" in a pitchy voice. I just wish I could find a video of all the dialogues because most of it is hilarious.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Crappy Jack posted:

Right, in SR2 all NPCS are made with the same character creator as the player, so it's just a matter of setting the ranges that sliders can be in for different "factions" of NPCs, whereas every NPC in 3 was handcrafted. Simple as that, it's not some Political Correctness Gone Mad thing.

I kinda wish they'd done it the same way in SR3 to be honest. SR2 had a lot more interesting NPCs and got a lot of mileage out of that clunky, ugly character generator. I still laugh when I think about the barbershop quartet that would appear outside of the frat house in SR2.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I couldn't find any recording of the ped dialogue but I did find this thread that's got some choice quotes:

http://saintsrow.com/community/go/thread/view/135951/28531525/What_funny_dialouge_have_you_heard_?pg=1&&num=184

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 14, 2014

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

honestly I felt like a lot of the dark and serious poo poo in SR2 was kind of laughable. I get that they were going for a jarring shift in tone with stuff like Carlos and Aisha, a record-scratch-poo poo kind of moment, but to me it just felt kind of cartoony and artificial.

SR4 really felt like it had the most heart of the series. Again, though, it's maybe just me

Any game that includes a Streets of Rage stage in a 3D FPS is gold in my book.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I felt like SR2 was one of the most complete games they've made. I got 100% on it and got maybe 70 hours out of that, plus countless hours messing around with a friend. It also doesn't hurt I only paid 20 bucks for it.

3 made activities a bit better for coop but it was a little easy to cruise through all of them. It was more 'fun' while the game lasted. I think I managed 100% in less than 40 hours. Didn't really spend that much time messing around.

4 I was burned out by then, (just beat the story a week ago, despite buying the game nearly a year ago). Also, that 'filter' really kind of annoyed me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So, uh, this is happening. Seems like they're going hod-wild with the next Saints Row game. Part of me hopes those new hires will be forming "The Summoner" team and they'll bring back that franchise.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jimbot posted:

So, uh, this is happening. Seems like they're going hod-wild with the next Saints Row game. Part of me hopes those new hires will be forming "The Summoner" team and they'll bring back that franchise.

Maybe a dumb question, but is that something they can afford? Every time I've heard of a video game company with hundreds of employees, it's always about bunches and bunches of them getting fired.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Have fun explaining to the local government why you need money for more stripper poles!

Hopefully this is a good sign though yeah. Maybe Deep Silver are just throwing money at them, who knows.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, it could always be a thing where they're hiring in order to fill gaps from previous layoffs from when they were at THQ or something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Have fun explaining to the local government why you need money for more stripper poles!

Hopefully this is a good sign though yeah. Maybe Deep Silver are just throwing money at them, who knows.

They probably looked at the numbers Saints Row has does and decided it was worth investing the cash into their new studio. 300 people is nothing compared to the thousands that work on an Assassin's Creed title too. As long as the end result is a city much like Saints Row 2's Stillwater I'll be happy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jimbot posted:

They probably looked at the numbers Saints Row has does and decided it was worth investing the cash into their new studio. 300 people is nothing compared to the thousands that work on an Assassin's Creed title too. As long as the end result is a city much like Saints Row 2's Stillwater I'll be happy.

Saint's Row. Next gen engine. Good god.

EDIT: The dildobat physics will be insane.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 15, 2014

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Imagine...triple dildo bats!

In 4k resolution.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

What interests me is that the actor who voiced Dane Vogel is saying he is coming back to voice again. Wonder what that's about.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

mastajake posted:

What interests me is that the actor who voiced Dane Vogel is saying he is coming back to voice again. Wonder what that's about.

That was tweeted about before SR4's release, I believe. I think the idea was that you'd have a recruitable Dane Vogel homie, but that got cut, just like the Philippe Loren homie who was in the files but ultimately cut.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

That was tweeted about before SR4's release, I believe. I think the idea was that you'd have a recruitable Dane Vogel homie, but that got cut, just like the Philippe Loren homie who was in the files but ultimately cut.

I thought that tweet came about before the first or second major DLC pack came out?

Regardless, I'd be down for a reboot. A nice hard reset or different storyline at this point. Can be like Final Fantasy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've said it before and I'll say it again: alternate timeline SR1 where the boss doesn't get blown up on the boat, leading to alternate timeline SR2 with a different storyline and different gangs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

OH NO MAN posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: alternate timeline SR1 where the boss doesn't get blown up on the boat, leading to alternate timeline SR2 with a different storyline and different gangs.

The Boss and crew go back in time to Stilwater, kill their past selves (which totally causes a paradox but gently caress IT SAINTS ROW BITCHES) and take their places, using their knowledge of future events to become God Emperor of the Universe, preferably by strapping Dex to a nuclear missile aimed at the Zin homeworld. At full Wanted level, Time Cops spawn in an effort to stop you and right the timeline.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm tempted to call up the math department at CalTech to see if they have numbers yet that'll describe just how wrong you are.

We're conquering the universe in Row-Op.

v v v :hfive:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 15, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

By "kill their past selves" you do mean "hang out with their past selves and be best bros", right? Just think about how cool it would be to have two Johnny Gats instead of one.

Also, I was kinda thinking of going back to the SR2 style with the alternate timeline and just ignore all the aliens and time shenanigans and such, but I guess your idea works too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Crappy Jack posted:

The Boss and crew go back in time to Stilwater, kill their past selves (which totally causes a paradox but gently caress IT SAINTS ROW BITCHES) and take their places, using their knowledge of future events to become God Emperor of the Universe, preferably by strapping Dex to a nuclear missile aimed at the Zin homeworld. At full Wanted level, Time Cops spawn in an effort to stop you and right the timeline.

Someone hire this person

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'll miss superpowers. I'm not sure I'll be able to come back to mere cars and guns.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

OH NO MAN posted:

By "kill their past selves" you do mean "hang out with their past selves and be best bros", right? Just think about how cool it would be to have two Johnny Gats instead of one.

You can glitch that in SR2 by calling Gat as a homie then doing the Ultor Pyramid mission and meeting another Gat in the tunnels (can't remember if you need to do anything else to make this work, been a while since I've played 2).

Since the NPCs are mostly built with normally accessible character elements, you can do all this as a third Gat. I was never able to do this in co-op with another player as a fourth Gat, but I see no reason why you couldn't!

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Just bring back the Septic Truck missions. And make it available in your garage. Game gold.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Crappy Jack posted:

He actually tweeted about it after both of SR4's DLCs were released (Dec 19, 2013 according to Google), leading most people to speculate it was going to be for a third story DLC. Since that never materialized it was either just ultimately cancelled SR4 content or really early work on the next game in the series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't care, I just want another SR game.

Saints in time, Saints of the Galaxy, remake of SR1 or 2, I just want more Saints Row!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I don't care, I just want another SR game.

Saints in time, Saints of the Galaxy, remake of SR1 or 2, I just want more Saints Row!

The Saints Must Flow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So basically Saints Row 3 poured a lot of their money into a new engine and Saints Row 4 was made for a couple of cents that they found behind the couch, right?

So SR5 they'll have a pretty decent engine from the go and a reasonable budget to spend on actual content. I look forward to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OH NO MAN posted:

Two Bosses. Two Johnny Gats. 17 Shaundis.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Jerusalem posted:

Two Bosses. Two Johnny Gats. 17 Shaundis.

So. Many. DONNIES.

Realistcally, I'm hoping they won't take long to get their engine and asset pipeline in a usable state and can start iterating on the gameplay early. If the fun of SR3/4 activites can go in the Stilwater of SR2, that's basically my dream game.

The appearance is that SR2 was built by a team of people working a lot of overtime for free, and my fear is that level of interactivity isn't able to be built if you're going to pay people to make it. So many explorable buildings, so many props, so many custom actions, so many NPCs doing things. I trust them to sacrifice graphical fidelity in the name of more to do.

...and also I'm getting my resume together, because seriously I want to work on this game in my head now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mastajake posted:

My number one hope is a complete reboot combining the first three games into a single one. I'd ditch a lot of the gangs and have the first part of the game be Julius leading the Saints against the Vice Kings. Both gangs are basically wiped out in the conflict and the protagonist ends up in a coma. Cut to x months later when s/he wakes up and the Vice Kings and Saints have been replaced by the Brotherhood (a local gang made up mostly of former Vice Kings and Saints but led by Maero) and the Syndicate (an outside crime ring trying to move in on the now unclaimed territory, basically a combination of Ronin and Deckers) and Julius and Ben King have disappeared. Now the protagonist has to rebuild the Saints and take the city back. But at the same time, Ultor is buying up large parts of the city and moving their masako troops in...

If it's not a straight reboot then I hope they use the time travel as a pseudo-reboot. The boss, Gat, Shaundi, Pierce, Kinzie and Ben King travel back in time and show up as the protagonist is about to be killed by the Vice Kings and save him/her, then proceed to to take over the city, forcing out the old gangs and Julius's Saints. That's just the introduction, now you're playing as the protagonist from this time period and the future Saints are the bad guys. You have to recruit the present-day versions of the Saints and lead them against their future selves. Alien tech acquired from the time travellers justifies super powers or whatever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saints Row had its time spoofing GTA, let's go Saints in Time and go for Assassin's Creed now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Why do some of you want an alternate evil version of the Saints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They really liked Asha's loyalty mission?

• Locked thread