Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Does this mean Wolves are next, presumably?

More than likely. Even if I would personally like it better if GW pulled a big fake-out and actually did Blood Angels next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

My problem now is dealing with the expensive impulse to now buy a bunch of their dry paints for post-wash highlight-drybrushing. :shepspends:

You can drybrush with any paint, you don't need gimmicks.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Soooo. I didn't have any darker green than the skin tone to use for shadig. But I did have a bottle of black wash.

A few drops of green and a bit more wash, plus a little water, and....

I think it worked very well!

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Lungboy posted:

Bollocks, I knew I should have ordered a Stormclaw box as soon as they went live. Every decent discount seller in the UK has sold out, and the mini books are going for £25 on eBay already.

I think it's more stuff to file under "GW doesn't know what the gently caress." I went into my local shop and pre-ordered one, they said they'd already ordered 24 so I should be good for it. Apparently the rep had asked if they were sure they wanted that many because they don't have a clue how many people are waiting on the mini-rulebook.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I kind of want to make a Chaos Daemon army with 3 Soul Grinders, an Ally with all vehicles , and a Helbrute Formation. Good Idea bad idea?

Something like

3 Soul Grinders
5 Helbrutes
1 Maulerfiend
1 Heldrake
PlagueMarines in a Rhino
Terminators in a Landraider

Although I may be doing this just to justify buying a Landraider for my Chaos Space Marine Army.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Esser-Z posted:

Well, I only have two nobz in my army (With the extras going on a display shelf), so I figured I'm make THEM look nice. The boyz will definitely be faster painting!

I do think I need to go over the khaki with more wash--I was pretty light on it the first time. I'll watch that video for flesh; I really like the green I picked out (Reaper Muddy Olive) for the base of it.

My boyz are the Warpath Marauder troops, and they don't have a HUGE amount of exposed skin (parts of limbs but not entire limbs, parts of face and a couple full faces, a couple hands IIRC), and I'll be fielding 58, so I won't go into too much detail on them :V

My list current fields a megaboss, three battlewagons with 5 meganobz each, two four-unit buggy squadrons, ten lootas, and two 30-model shoota boy mobz (with boss nob of course!). I thought I'd do relatively simply painting on the boyz, but put more work into the other units, especially the boss and meganobz, as I'll also want to display them!

Man. I really enjoy this hobby.

I've been playing orks since around when the 4ed codex dropped, and my advice to you is just not to put together the stuff you're not using. If you only have 2 nobz in your army, put together 2 nobz and save the rest of the bitz for later on.

What you want out of your army is going to change as you play more games and get a feel for what you enjoy most. Now is the most crucial time for you to be proxying and experimenting with your list, because the further down that road you go the harder it is to change up your forces. If you've got the parts lying around, it's a lot easier to suddenly add a new unit when you discover something you enjoy.

I would also start my painting with a handful of shoota boyz, if I were you. You're going to improve a lot over the course of painting 70-some-odd infantry models, and it's nice to be able to apply that experience to your character models. I like to do a squad of five to ten guys, then save the nob model to be sort of the 'boss challenge' of that batch.

It's exciting to see an enthusiastic new ork player, though! In terms of proxy ideas, you should consider giving those shoota boyz a go in the battlewagons. A trukk will hold 5 manz just fine, and though they're fragile they can also get your manz down the table faster than a wagon can. A unit of 3 manz in a trukk is dead cheap [150-175ish] for what it usually accomplishes. I've found wagons convenient for my shoota boyz, though I guess they're in a little more danger now that the vehicle explosions are s4. Large squads of footslogging shootas can make it hard to get the most out of your shooting, but in a vehicle everyone's in range if anyone is.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Esser-Z posted:

Soooo. I didn't have any darker green than the skin tone to use for shadig. But I did have a bottle of black wash.

A few drops of green and a bit more wash, plus a little water, and....

I think it worked very well!

No offence, but doing a side-by-side comparison... I honestly can;t see any difference between your last two images... might want to exaggerate those highights and shades more. You really need to be blatant about them on minis, subtlety gets you nowhere (Mostly)

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I kind of want to make a Chaos Daemon army with 3 Soul Grinders, an Ally with all vehicles , and a Helbrute Formation. Good Idea bad idea?

Something like

3 Soul Grinders
5 Helbrutes
1 Maulerfiend
1 Heldrake
PlagueMarines in a Rhino

Although I may be doing this just to justify buying a Landraider for my Chaos Space Marine Army.

It's a bad idea from a competitive standpoint but from a "what looks badass" standpoint it would be pretty far up there. Personally if I was going "Big Daemon Machines" I'd lose as many of the "tank vehicles" and infantry as possible and play with multiple primary FoCs/Allies or Unbound in order to fill my list with as many Daemonic Vehicles (including the Lord of Skulls :getin:) as possible.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

No offence, but doing a side-by-side comparison... I honestly can;t see any difference between your last two images... might want to exaggerate those highights and shades more. You really need to be blatant about them on minis, subtlety gets you nowhere (Mostly)
I blame the camera flash. I could tell the difference very well in person as I did it. :colbert:

(No offense taken--I'm learning and I appreciate feedback)

Since I'm apparently liveblogging these nobz, might as well post a post-wash pic!

Next up, another coat of red and purple, maybe revisit the skin a bit, then figure out how I'm shading or whatever the purple, then various not-yet-done bitz and details!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pacheeco posted:

It's a bad idea from a competitive standpoint but from a "what looks badass" standpoint it would be pretty far up there. Personally if I was going "Big Daemon Machines" I'd lose as many of the "tank vehicles" and infantry as possible and play with multiple primary FoCs/Allies or Unbound in order to fill my list with as many Daemonic Vehicles (including the Lord of Skulls :getin:) as possible.

I don't really play in tournaments, I think this would be a mass Monstrous creature list and soul grinders and poo poo. Probably wouldn't have to many Troops actually other than the Plague Marines which I have to take a Chaos Lord w/ the Mark to get.

loving Landraider for chaos is garbage though, I thought it got some sort of options , but no it doesn't. So there goes my idea of dumping a bunch of Daemons in it.

Maybe play with a buffed out Chaos Daemon Prince w/ Biomancy, Wings, and other good stuff. I dunno.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 13, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Something like

3 Soul Grinders
5 Helbrutes
1 Maulerfiend
1 Heldrake
PlagueMarines in a Rhino

I agree with Pacheeco, you want to minimize the actual tanks to keep with the theme. I'd, in fact, steer you away from doing Chaos Daemons as Primary unless you really want those Soul Grinders - you can do a stupid list with Chaos Space Marines Primary.

Sorcerer
3 Helbrutes
2 Cultists
2 Heldrakes
3 Maulerfiends

5 Helbrute Formation

That's 8 Helbrutes, 13 vehicles in total. Battle-forged, if it matters, and you can always concede a Helbrute or Maulerfiend to upgrade the Sorcerer to a Daemon Prince - this list is at 1615, before upgrades.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DO IT TO IT posted:

More than likely. Even if I would personally like it better if GW pulled a big fake-out and actually did Blood Angels next.

It's a Space Marine codex so whatever they do expect it to be hilariously competitive and make xenos players ever more bitter.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a Space Marine codex* so whatever they do expect it to be hilariously competitive and make xenos players ever more bitter.

*Unless it has the words "Dark" and "Angels" in its name.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a Space Marine codex so whatever they do expect it to be hilariously competitive and make xenos players ever more bitter.

Yeah, those poor, hard-done-by Eldar and Tau players.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Well, uh. Crisis suits deserve to be more durable. :v:

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Are either Eldar or Tau still nearly as strong as in 6th edition really? The jink changes seem harsh for the Eldar at any rate, the allies changes and changes to MC:s seem rough to the Tau. I have a gnawing feeling that the gap between Eldar, Tau and Necrons have gotten a lot smaller, at any rate. Of course this is mostly relevant in a purely competative scenario. But I think I would agree that at about half the Xenos have nothing to complain about.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lungboy posted:

There could be humans in that armor...

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Tau, Eldar and Necrons are all better than Imperium Armies, while Orks, Tyranids and Dark Eldar are worse. Plus, you really can't look at sisters of battle and say GW favors Imperium.

The reality is simply that GW sucks at balancing their armies as a whole. The rule writers don't seem to understand how their game really operates.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Raphus C posted:

Buggies are now inferior to Deffkoptas IMO. In 7th they explode with a s4 blast. I actually lost the last HP of 1 buggy to the explosion of another buggy yesterday and lost two Buggies and 6 Boyz to exploding Buggies. Unlucky yes, however, you have to factor in that the other buggies in a squadron are in danger and they must stay within 4" of each other. Open topped means that they are at real risk of blowing up.

Moments like this are why I play 40k.

First game I ever played against my brother, had Fire Dragons walking across the table, Earthshaker round landed dead on top of them (back when you had to guess the range to the target). Nothing but red and orange confetti left, I wasn't even mad.

Master Twig posted:

The reality is simply that GW sucks at balancing their armies as a whole. The rule writers don't seem to understand how their game really operates.

They do not play test their game at all and the current corporate mantra is that this is a "collector's hobby" with a superfluous set of rules attached.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 13, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If anything Eldar Seer/Deathstar bullshit got even better with invisibility. It's almost impossible to kill now if it gets a Invis and Fortune up along with Conceal, but honestly you don't need it really. Invis plus Fortune works fine.

It's really a insane unit.

I loving hate playing Eldar. I've only won games with a really competitive list of Chaos Daemons which is fun but I'd prefer to take my themed armies thanks. It's so annoying.

I've straight up never beaten them with my Necrons or Chaos Space Marines.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 13, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Post 9-11 User posted:

They do not play test their game at all and the current corporate mantra is that this is a "collector's hobby" with a superfluous set of rules attached.

Any proof of that? And the line that they are a model company that also makes rules to let you play with their models has been around for at least the last decade, if not 2 decades. It's hardly the "current corporate mantra".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The "current corporate mantra" has been the GW mantra since it was a couple of dudes casting minis for D&D. GW has always been models first, rules second.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The internet loves inventing issues with GW where there's none there, which is daft as GW do plenty of legitimately lovely things to get angry about.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So my friend just got something like 3k points of Word Bearers, and I'm making up a counter-list of Salamanders. How expensive should you run your Praetors in 3k point games? Salamanders make it super easy to blow points on your HQs. I'm thinking I'm going to run a Praetor and Cassian.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

If I'm remembering correctly (and I'm too lazy to reach over and check), pretty much the very first line in one of those books that comes with the 7th edition rulebook is something like "At its heart, Warhammer 40k is about collecting Citadel miniatures." I think it then goes on to say that the converting, painting, and gaming are merely side secondary effects.

Anyway, I've been working on a Deff Dread for a Bad Moons walker mob army as a side project and it's coming along nicely. I've been using that Duncan Rhodes video that GW put out for the Morkanaut as my painting guide and even though I'm hardly a good painter and often don't like painting, it's been going smoothly and is looking pretty good. No pics yet since it's not even remotely close to done, but I'll post it when it gets eventually finished.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They've literally stated under oath that the Hobby is about buying their models.

Anyway this is my Crazy List of beat down

Chaos Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Nurgle, Wings, 2 Greater Gifts , 1 Lesser Gift, Level 3 Sorcerer

or

Chaos Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Slaanesh , Wings, 2 Greater Gifts, 1 lesser Gift, Level 3 Sorcerer

as my Warlord? which one?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

The internet loves inventing issues with GW where there's none there, which is daft as GW do plenty of legitimately lovely things to get angry about.

They also play test their rules pretty extensively, which makes me chuckle because they're still always so full of holes.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They've literally stated under oath that the Hobby is about buying their models.

Anyway this is my Crazy List of beat down

Chaos Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Nurgle, Wings, 2 Greater Gifts , 1 Lesser Gift, Level 3 Sorcerer

or

Chaos Daemon Prince w/ Mark of Slaanesh , Wings, 2 Greater Gifts, 1 lesser Gift, Level 3 Sorcerer

as my Warlord? which one?
First. You can Jink with a Nurgle FMC for a 2+ cover save, which is strong on its own. If you take Biomancy, and have luck with Gifts, you can potentially get a 2+ T8 5W IWND 4+ FNP monster.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

Moments like this are why I play 40k.

First game I ever played against my brother, had Fire Dragons walking across the table, Earthshaker round landed dead on top of them (back when you had to guess the range to the target). Nothing but red and orange confetti left, I wasn't even mad.

Yup, I watched three Boyz drop an avatar due to some lucky dice. The representative of the Eldar god of war popped off by a weedy Boy's lucky strike. Pity they couldn't do anything about the Wraithlord that ate them next. I am going to paint them a banner.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

They also play test their rules pretty extensively, which makes me chuckle because they're still always so full of holes.

Play testing your own rules is the problem, because you're only ever going to see and play them how you wrote them in your head, it takes testers external to the writers to find and report on the flaws

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Von Humboldt posted:

First. You can Jink with a Nurgle FMC for a 2+ cover save, which is strong on its own. If you take Biomancy, and have luck with Gifts, you can potentially get a 2+ T8 5W IWND 4+ FNP monster.

Yeah that's what I was leaning toward but also I want some of that sweet sweet Lash Prince but theres a chance I won't get the powers I want from Biomancy but even then I'm rolling twice on the Greater Gifts etc..

I dunno.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 13, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Play testing your own rules is the problem, because you're only ever going to see and play them how you wrote them in your head, it takes testers external to the writers to find and report on the flaws

Its not the writers that test them. More or less everyone big into gaming at their hq will play a new version.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's what I was leaning toward but also I want some of that sweet sweet Lash Prince but theres a chance I won't get the powers I want from Biomancy but even then I'm rolling twice on the Greater Gifts etc..

I dunno.
Even if your powers are Smite, Haemo, and Life Leech, and your Greater Rewards are more shooting, you can still Jink for a 2+. The Lash Prince is solid, and can put out potent shooting, but isn't as survivable. Basically, look deep into your style of play, and decide if you prefer beating face (Jink all day, rip apart tanks) or going for something more fragile and diverse that Vector Strikes, Psychic Shrieks, and then does 2d6 shots, all in the same turn.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This is the list I'm going to be taking in a month for a big-rear end 30k game. Anything super-glaringly a problem?

HQ
Praetor
Cataphractii armor + master-crafted thunder hammer + dragonscale shield + digital lasers + mantle of the elder drake
200 points

Cassian Dracos
275 points

Elites
Contemptor Dreadnought
Multi-melta + heavy flamer + extra armor
195 points

Contemptor Dreadnought
Multi-melta + heavy flamer + extra armor
195 points

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought
Multi-meltas + extra armor
165 points

Troops
Firedrake Terminator Squad
Heavy Flamer
285 points

Heavy Flamer
285 points

5 thunder hammers + dragonscale shields
350 points

5 combi-meltas
300 points

5 combi-flamers
300 points

Lords of War
Typhon Heavy Siege Tank + lascannon
390 points

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Its not the writers that test them. More or less everyone big into gaming at their hq will play a new version.

Then they're all terrible :v:

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

DO IT TO IT posted:

It'd be even better if it was Space Marines next and it turns out BA and Space Wolves got rolled into the book.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres also a guy who's entire job on the design team is to come up with broken army lists/combos for new books.

He's not very good at this.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Theres also a guy who's entire job on the design team is to come up with broken army lists/combos for new books.

He's not very good at this.

When they need someone who can come up with the most dickish, joy killing, fun sucking, rear end in a top hat lists imaginable, they're really missing a trick by shunning the internet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It almost appears to be a condition of having that job that you don't actually know what the inter net is and live in a basement and having crippling social anxiety so you don't bother to go out and actually play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JerryLee posted:

Not trying to start a fight with you over the point, but just because I'm curious now--do your friends (or I guess the model makers in general) get a percentage for every model that sells, or anything like that? Or is it just like a salaried job?

Salaried jobs. They are typically authors, game designers and people who do layout.

• Locked thread