Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Standing with 1/2 million Germans at Brandenburg Gate for the world cup. I'm soaking wet, cold and drunk. Hell yes I'm cheering for Germany in the world cup finals. Should be an interesting night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

Went to the lake for the day yesterday and it loving rained and was gross and windy. At the end of the day one of my friends drops it on me that is thyroid cancer has returned and he's got probably a year to live and no insurance to cover treatment this time.

Aww man that sucks dude. Sorry about your friend :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mafoose posted:

These are the least service friendly disc brakes I've ever done.

Early 90s honda accord (at least 92 through 97)

Somewhere, aceofsnett and STR are angry and they don't even know why.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 216 days!)

Rhyno posted:

Went to the lake for the day yesterday and it loving rained and was gross and windy. At the end of the day one of my friends drops it on me that is thyroid cancer has returned and he's got probably a year to live and no insurance to cover treatment this time.

The good news is that with Obamacare, they can't deny him insurance. They can make it completely unaffordable, but they can't turn him away. It isn't a bad time of year for a benefit garage sale, followed with a donations-accepted spaghetti dinner.

Just don't hold it anywhere near that ghetto you live in.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Viggen posted:

The good news is that with Obamacare, they can't deny him insurance. They can make it completely unaffordable, but they can't turn him away. It isn't a bad time of year for a benefit garage sale, followed with a donations-accepted spaghetti dinner.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, the guy gets treated and doesn't go bankrupt, period.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kastein posted:

If I had a heated shop, new hampshire or vermont. And I will have one if I ever manage to move there.

The rest either is too flat, too hot, too drat cold, sucks for legal reasons, or packed too full of assholes :v:

I'll take rust over dealing with californians and CARB.

Oregon has mountains, is neither too hot nor too cold, rust isn't an issue, and we don't have safety inspections and we only do smog if you live inside the urban boundary of the Portland metro area. Plus registration is only $86 every two years. And no sales tax. It's pretty much the ideal car enthusiast state.

As long as you're not some sissy who moans about 6 months of rain (note I said rain, we only get snow/ice a handful of days a year, if that, and you can always live in the eastern half of the state - which is desert - if its that much of a problem)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rain? Let me reiterate: Florida.

Granted, it's a different sort of rain, but if I couldn't handle some wet roads, I'd be... the typical driver around here, actually, let's be honest.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Oregon has mountains, is neither too hot nor too cold, rust isn't an issue, and we don't have safety inspections and we only do smog if you live inside the urban boundary of the Portland metro area. Plus registration is only $86 every two years. And no sales tax. It's pretty much the ideal car enthusiast state.

As long as you're not some sissy who moans about 6 months of rain (note I said rain, we only get snow/ice a handful of days a year, if that, and you can always live in the eastern half of the state - which is desert - if its that much of a problem)

Between this and the beautiful scenery, I keep getting tempted to visit / move to Oregon. I've got a friend who lives in Gladstone and he's been doing a drat good job of convincing me to check the place out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Backov posted:

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, the guy gets treated and doesn't go bankrupt, period.

Pfft... "rest of the world" doesn't count when 'murica. :911:

Sadly, we have this ingrained mentality that we really are better than other countries. While that may have been the case 40 years ago, in almost every metric we've slipped soundly into mid-pack, but our mentality is fixed in the past. Highly damaging.

In other news, while we have a crap standard of living and/or freedom, and we don't do the whole "people" thing well, we certainly lead the world in our various abilities to blow poo poo up:

http://www.darpa.mil/Our_Work/TTO/Programs/Extreme_Accuracy_Tasked_Ordnance_%28EXACTO%29.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX8Z2MDYX3g

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viggen posted:

Just don't hold it anywhere near that ghetto you live in.

He's not working at all right now, and his COBRA benefits just ran out so he's still waiting to hear back on the MERICACare bullshit. He has a substantial savings and has so many health issues he thinks it'd be more worthwhile to spend the year living life rather than treating it again. This is the second time now and he nearly died last time.

And he wants to leave me all his poo poo when he dies. I didn't know how to react to that at all.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

He's not working at all right now, and his COBRA benefits just ran out so he's still waiting to hear back on the MERICACare bullshit. He has a substantial savings and has so many health issues he thinks it'd be more worthwhile to spend the year living life rather than treating it again. This is the second time now and he nearly died last time.

And he wants to leave me all his poo poo when he dies. I didn't know how to react to that at all.

My mom's boyfriend left me all his tools when he passed. I still don't really know how to react to it. I just try to be grateful whenever I have to use some tool I wouldn't otherwise have and find it laying in a drawer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

My mom's boyfriend left me all his tools when he passed. I still don't really know how to react to it. I just try to be grateful whenever I have to use some tool I wouldn't otherwise have and find it laying in a drawer.

I got a shitload of stuff when my Grandfather passed away and I was not ready to mourn him so I ended up selling a lot of it at a garage sale. When I finally came to terms with his death I really regretted selling what I had.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the exact intention when good people leave you things like this.

I've got quite a few tools from my grandfather and now some more from my wife's grandfather. It makes me think of them every time I use one. What more could you ask for?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

I've been in the position of the dying friend, all I can say is be there when needed and make those last few months awesome. Seriously at that point you've accepted it and someone to bullshit with is all you want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been in the position of the dying friend, all I can say is be there when needed and make those last few months awesome. Seriously at that point you've accepted it and someone to bullshit with is all you want.

That's what I hope to do. He's making some noise about leaving me his loving house today as well. I think he's just a little too accepting of this being the end, he doesn't even want to talk about fighting it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

This is what I do with the few of my father-in-law's tools that I have. Never met the man (died a few years before I met my wife, let alone started dating her) and my mother-in-law apparently gave away the vast majority of it, but the ones that are left are damned handy. I do need to find somewhere to recalibrate / repair the Proto torque wrenches he left, though. The 3/8" seems to be out of whack, and the 1/4" never clicks no matter what.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
There's gotta be places that do that local to you. There's at least 2 places that do it in Tucson.

I own a vast majority of cheap tools, and I can't see ever really selling them.

I'd have to be jobless, and unable to work with them, because I can always make money wrenching on the side.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's even a mobile torque wrench recalibration place here. They do a yearly circuit of all the shops during the summer, and park it over the winter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm really tempted to trade in on a Honda F-RV, it's the perfect blend of quirky and utilitarian for me, comes with 6mt, diesel, climate control. Any opinions to offer?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh good, some loving competition that I dont care about is ending so everyone around me can STFU about a game no one usually cars about.

In in the well there may well be a tiny hope for humanity, Ian Thorpe (really good swimmer) comes out as gay, world goes "YAY! We're genuinely happy for you!". It's nice tyo see the fundies being yelled down and someone saying they are gay gets overwhelmingly positive comments.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cat Terrist posted:

In in the well there may well be a tiny hope for humanity, Ian Thorpe (really good swimmer) comes out as gay, world goes "YAY! We're genuinely happy for you!". It's nice tyo see the fundies being yelled down and someone saying they are gay gets overwhelmingly positive comments.

I was about to tell you but all but the ultra-retarded hasn't given a gently caress for more than a decade. Then I remembered you are in Oz, which is about 20 years behind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

There's gotta be places that do that local to you. There's at least 2 places that do it in Tucson.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's even a mobile torque wrench recalibration place here. They do a yearly circuit of all the shops during the summer, and park it over the winter.

Yeah, just seems I never think of it whenever I actually have time.

gently caress it, I'll research it now :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Viggen posted:

I was about to tell you but all but the ultra-retarded hasn't given a gently caress for more than a decade. Then I remembered you are in Oz, which is about 20 years behind.

I seem to recall a certain gridiron player causing a bit of a flap in the good ol USA not long ago. Yeaaaaaaaaah, I dont think I'm the one living in a backward country :D

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Viggen posted:

Listen I know about your accident but that's no excuse for not paying attention to any single news report coming from a place like, say, Fox News.

The average American may be more open-minded, but good old fashioned bigotry is very much alive and well and to claim otherwise is naive at best.

E: I mean, gently caress, they recently ran a story where some university switched from "family" to "all-gender" restrooms, and were literally throwing their hands up in frustration about how hard the sign was to understand and how children would be confused!1!!1

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cat Terrist posted:

I seem to recall a certain gridiron player causing a bit of a flap in the good ol USA not long ago. Yeaaaaaaaaah, I dont think I'm the one living in a backward country :D

Don't you guys really hate the aboriginal peoples you have there?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fucknag posted:

The average American may be more open-minded, but good old fashioned bigotry is very much alive and well and to claim otherwise is naive at best.

Being more open minded than your average Australian is nothing to be proud of anyhow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, I only meant more than in the past.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Being more open minded than your average Australian is nothing to be proud of anyhow.

Actually the average are fairly open minded, thankfully. Apart from boats as below.

Shampoo posted:

Don't you guys really hate the aboriginal peoples you have there?

No, you have that mistaken with refugees on boats. Now on that one, I have NFI why but too many lose their loving minds over that one. Pity they didnt send the current oval office in charge back home to where he came from.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

When did AI become the pantshitting GBS version of D&D?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

Actually the average are fairly open minded, thankfully. Apart from boats as below.

No, you have that mistaken with refugees on boats. Now on that one, I have NFI why but too many lose their loving minds over that one. Pity they didnt send the current oval office in charge back home to where he came from.
So what was with all the people telling me to watch out for "abbos" in NWT?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Viggen posted:

When D&D became a safe space for mentally handicapped leftists who post about how much they hate corporations from Starbucks on the Macbook Pro their father who is also paying for them to go to a 50,000 dollar a year liberal arts college bought them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

So what was with all the people telling me to watch out for "abbos" in NWT?

WTF is NWT?

quote:

Too obvious a troll that time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

I think it was right when you came off of probation.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

WTF is NWT?

There was a W in there somehow (phone posting). Should be NT -- Northern Territory.

Note that in Montana, I got the same "warnings" from concerned white locals about Native Americans. They didn't use a slur though. You guys in generally are just worse at hiding your racism.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 14, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

I think it was right when you came off of probation.

Oh, look at you so smug and all. I bet you watch FOX NEWS just to laugh at the God fearing plebes.

Cat Terrist posted:

Bronwyn Bishop. Average or ABOVE average? :smuggo:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ya'll are getting to strange again.

Being sick loving blows. Been laid up since Thursday, and I am just barely starting to feel better.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea I had tendonitis in my shoulder last week and couldnt work. Even putting a shirt on was excruciating. I hate being sick.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

WTF is NWT?

In all seriousness when I visited Australia in 2000 I felt some tension in Sydney. I don't know that it was a huge problem but it sounds like there were a lot of immigrant groups, especially Asian people, that were very insular and didn't really assimilate to Australian culture nor speak English. It felt like that caused a lot of resentment amongst the locals. I got a sense of it just by observation a bit but obviously I was just a visitor so I can't speak like an authority on the matter but there was tension there... Now all that being said I had a really great time and met lots of great people all over. The day I was leaving I had my 18th birthday though. :)

Edit: Oh I'm not trying to make an us-vs-them post... we have plenty of problems with racism in the U.S. even if people don't realize it. But maybe this should all be a topic for a different thread.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 14, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Girlfriend got a job offer from her dad the other day. He's a higher-up at one of the larger construction companies in the U.S. $20/hr starting off to spot violations on the work-site and it starts in January. Guaranteed 5 year job. Sounded great until I found out we'd have to move to the Dallas area. I'm not too keen about it at the moment because yeah, she would have a great job, but then I would be moving as well and have no job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

There was a W in there somehow (phone posting). Should be NT -- Northern Territory.

Note that in Montana, I got the same "warnings" from concerned white locals about Native Americans. They didn't use a slur though. You guys in generally are just worse at hiding your racism.

Territorians are too busy getting drunk and loving cows to be a real nuisance. Or was being hosed by cows? Not 100% sure but there's some sort of cow loving going on up there. Tasmania is a bit more into incest (How does a Tasmanian know his sister is on her period? His brothers dick tastes funny), Athens is a outer suburb of Melbourne, Sydney is going to be renamed something Chinese, Brisbane has TITS, Perth is being dug up and shipped to Asia, Adelaide is so loving boring the locals kill each other and stuff the bodies into barrels to liven poo poo up and everyone wants Canberra to be nuked by the Kiwis.

quote:

In all seriousness when I visited Australia in 2000 I felt some tension in Sydney. I don't know that it was a huge problem but it sounds like there were a lot of immigrant groups, especially Asian people, that were very insular and didn't really assimilate to Australian culture nor speak English. It felt like that caused a lot of resentment amongst the locals. I got a sense of it just by observation a bit but obviously I was just a visitor so I can't speak like an authority on the matter but there was tension there... Now all that being said I had a really great time and met lots of great people all over. The day I was leaving I had my 18th birthday though

It's gotten a lot better, the late 90's was when the division on the Asian refugees from Vietnam and other places began to have their kids merge into the wider society. So now the second generation is having kids now and the reality is that Sydney is turning very quickly into a true Asian city, I think from what I read last week that the overall Asian background residents is now over 25% and the level of non-english speaking households is now approaching 30% and in many suburbs is now a majority - the process seems to be accelerating as well (That doesn't mean the residents don't speak English tho, most households are bi-ligual).

I rather like it. I think Sydney has improved big time in the last 10 years with the change in demographic - The old stereotypical Westie oval office is dying out and being replaced by Asian influences, I really wont be surprised if Sydney going majority Asian decent happens in the next 10 years.

• Locked thread