Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Well, there are only 6 issues left so I reckon we'll know pretty darn quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cloks posted:

I just picked up the newest volume of Manhattan Projects and it seems like they've really lost any central thread. A lot of moving the pieces around and they killed one of the more interesting characters ... for what? Unless I'm mistaken, there's an encroaching alien invasion that's barely mentioned.
I honestly don't think that character is actually dead. He built a machine, and the thing that was meant to happen was interrupted slightly before completion, and suddenly his brother is the only Oppenheimer left in his head, and we've seen human-body-size canisters with unknown things inside them? I think it was an Oppenheimer splitter.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly don't think that character is actually dead. He built a machine, and the thing that was meant to happen was interrupted slightly before completion, and suddenly his brother is the only Oppenheimer left in his head, and we've seen human-body-size canisters with unknown things inside them? I think it was an Oppenheimer splitter.

That makes a lot of sense. The very first issue that's going to appear in the next volume also adds some momentum to the story.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're ok with tits'n'dicks in your funnybooks, Black Kiss II xxxmas in july is a fun read.

here's some other stuff that's been rolling around in my comixology account:

Escape From Jesus Island, Vol. 1
Only one issue out and its every straight to VHS late 80s early 90s gorefest with a great cliffhanger at the end.
https://www.comixology.com/Escape-From-Jesus-Island-Vol-1/comics-series/20664

The Fallen
Its a cheap ripoff of the Walking Dead with superpowers. Society has its poo poo wrecked and superheroes are a persona non-grata because of him. At .99 an issue. its worth an impulse buy.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Fallen/comics-series/16846

The Last Broadcast
LOVE THIS. Love the art, love the storytelling. Its about urban exploration and some historical conspiracy. Its only a few issues in and worth starting from the top.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Last-Broadcast/comics-series/17799

Letter 44
Another hot buy. What if all the lovely stuff happening in the world was because we were building up towards defending from an alien invasion? Great art, great storytelling. Pick up the fix six issues and see how you like it.
https://www.comixology.com/Letter-44/comics-series/11762

Memoir
I think this is a 6 issue miniseries. Very fun in the Blair Witch meets The Ring kinda scary stories.
https://www.comixology.com/Memoir/comics-series/5389

Telikos Protocol
Cool post-apocalyptic sci fi action mag. Love the art. First issue is free, IIRC.
https://www.comixology.com/Telikos-Protocol/comics-series/11151

Trees
Warren Ellis doin cool sci fi stuff. Giant rear end trees landed on the earth and broke everything. Ten years later, the story picks up. Right now its in slice of life mode with plot points starting to come forward.
https://www.comixology.com/Trees/comics-series/18840

That's all I have for right now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I read Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1, and while I liked it, I thought the last couple issues felt completely rushed. The pacing just kinda went "Cryptic backstory, actual backstory, climax" without really anything in between. Again, I'm going to read more, especially because of that art, but drat did I feel like something was missing in the middle.

It's also weird to read this beside East of West, in that they both have fantastical/sci-fized western settings, and a very strong focus on Death.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
How did I wait this long to read Sex Criminals? It's super great. If anyone else is an idiot like me and hasn't read it, you should correct that.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

GrandpaPants posted:

I read Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1, and while I liked it, I thought the last couple issues felt completely rushed. The pacing just kinda went "Cryptic backstory, actual backstory, climax" without really anything in between. Again, I'm going to read more, especially because of that art, but drat did I feel like something was missing in the middle.

It's also weird to read this beside East of West, in that they both have fantastical/sci-fized western settings, and a very strong focus on Death.

I think I heard somewhere that Pretty Deadly was meant to be a standard western at first, but after issue 1 they decided to take it on a completely different route. I don't know how much water that holds, though.

Also, if you read only the TPB, you're missing out on the Johnny Coyote/Molly Raven side-story that was included in the first two issues that basically explains who they are and why they're mixed up in the story in the first place. They're not vital but they help.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Also, if you read only the TPB, you're missing out on the Johnny Coyote/Molly Raven side-story that was included in the first two issues that basically explains who they are and why they're mixed up in the story in the first place. They're not vital but they help.

Why weren't they included in the TPB!? I'm going to assume they spring up in the events of Vol. 2 (maybe?), so I hope that stuff will get added somewhere. But yeah, they were rather puzzling inclusions considering they didn't really do a whole lot in the finale.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
They weren't written by Deconnick, so that's the only reason I can imagine (it's just a two-part/-page short story, one illustration each). They might have been out of place smack in the middle of the TPB, but they wouldn't have been strange to read at the end of it.

Also included in the singles was Deconnick's explanation as to why she wrote/wanted to write Pretty Deadly and work with Emma Rios in the first place. It's a heartwarming little piece that made me appreciate the comic more.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Oh, hey Seconds is coming out on tuesday according to amazon. I can't wait to read all the "not as good as scott pilgrim" reviews.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Oh, hey Seconds is coming out on tuesday according to amazon. I can't wait to read all the "not as good as scott pilgrim" reviews.

If you're excited for it you should check out this week's Nerdist Writers Panel Comics Edition. O'Malley is on it talking about the book and his process, it's a good episode.

I love that podcast, I just wish more of the regular hosts were good comic writers. Len Wein is a legend and it's great to hear him talk, but he's really old school of course. And Adam Beechen is a super cool guy and sounds really nice and gives some good advice, but he's also... Adam Beechen. Y'know? And I still haven't read any comics by Ben Blacker, but I really should. I love that guy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Unmature posted:

If you're excited for it you should check out this week's Nerdist Writers Panel Comics Edition. O'Malley is on it talking about the book and his process, it's a good episode.

I love that podcast, I just wish more of the regular hosts were good comic writers. Len Wein is a legend and it's great to hear him talk, but he's really old school of course. And Adam Beechen is a super cool guy and sounds really nice and gives some good advice, but he's also... Adam Beechen. Y'know? And I still haven't read any comics by Ben Blacker, but I really should. I love that guy.

Check out the Thunderbolts and Deadpool annuals. Those were both really good but Wolverine Season One was pretty middling and I really don't like the direction he is taking in the Thunderbolts series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is that even possible?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

Check out the Thunderbolts and Deadpool annuals. Those were both really good but Wolverine Season One was pretty middling and I really don't like the direction he is taking in the Thunderbolts series.

Are any of the season one books good? I read the Daredevil one and thought it was just bad. Yellow is still the perfect origin story, they should just reprint that instead.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Unmature posted:

Are any of the season one books good? I read the Daredevil one and thought it was just bad. Yellow is still the perfect origin story, they should just reprint that instead.

I liked the Dr. Strange one. It had Emma Rios art.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Cloks posted:

I just picked up the newest volume of Manhattan Projects and it seems like they've really lost any central thread. A lot of moving the pieces around and they killed one of the more interesting characters ... for what? Unless I'm mistaken, there's an encroaching alien invasion that's barely mentioned.

The thing to remember with MP is that it's structured more loosely than Hickman's other works. He's gone on record as saying that rather than writing up the giant flow chart he's done on his Marvel work, he goes into MP each month thinking "well, what should my characters do this month?" Naturally this means there's lots of situations where a storyline will sputter out or a character will just disappear.

That being said, there's pretty clearly a rough game plan in place. The broad strokes of it are laid out in the "Recorded Feynman" quotations that are in every issue. For myself, I think the basic story of MP is the tale of how mankind was damned by its best and brightest, as chronicled by the MP scientists' disastrous attempts to make themselves a galactic power and by the descent of Oppenheimer.

As for Oppenheimer's death, it was sad but understandable. At this point in the series, Joseph had grown to the point where he couldn't function in the group any longer; any story with him in it would have to be a story about him. That said, Feynman's memoirs have made it pretty clear that Oppenheimer becomes a critical figure in the future, and that while Joseph and Robert are dead, Oppenheimer is not. (Notice how none of the scientists thought to go to Antarctica to check up on Project Charon.) I think this next arc is going to be the last "fun" arc for MP, a last adventure that will deal with the galactopolitics thread before we come back to Earth and find out what Oppenheimer has planned.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Senor Candle posted:

I liked the Dr. Strange one. It had Emma Rios art.

The writing was pretty blah, but yeah, that art was killer.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Unmature posted:

If you like hearing about how the sausage is made, Kieron Gillen's Decompressed podcast where he talks to creators about their process and craft is also really cool. Warning: production values on this podcast are basically nil and some episodes take place in noisy, crowded areas. It's worth bearing through it, though, because the conversations are fun and illuminating, albeit sometimes hard to hear.

I recommend listening to the Shaky Kane and David Hine episode at the very least because they go into their incredible series, The Bulletproof Coffin.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

I recommend listening to the Shaky Kane and David Hine episode at the very least because they go into their incredible series, The Bulletproof Coffin.

I'll have to check this out, that was a neat/weird series. Shaky Kane is awesome.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

If you like hearing about how the sausage is made, Kieron Gillen's Decompressed podcast where he talks to creators about their process and craft is also really cool. Warning: production values on this podcast are basically nil and some episodes take place in noisy, crowded areas. It's worth bearing through it, though, because the conversations are fun and illuminating, albeit sometimes hard to hear.

I'm gonna listen to the poo poo out of this. I like Gillen.

Also the new Women of Marvel podcast is really good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

moot the hopple posted:

I loved TBC, and the sequel. Are there any plans for them to do more of that? It was mindblowing. That issue with all the separate panels :allears:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
New Scott Snyder/Jock series "Wytches" coming out in October through Image! :swoon:

ScottSnyder posted:

Forget everything you know about witches. Because the truth is, witches, real witches, are something much, much scarier. Something you’ve never seen before. I’m collaborating with the super talented artist Jock on a new ongoing comic book series from Image Comics called Wytches. I don’t want to spoil anything, but let’s leave it at this—you’ll never think of witches the same way once you see Jock’s designs.

As for what you thought were witches? A wytch? A real wytch? Imagine, if you will, a bestial, primal creature that lives deep in the woods, waiting. We know nothing about them—they’re rarely seen. They are bigger than we are, stronger and smarter than we are, and they are gruesome and predatory. So, forget what you think you know. Leave the broomsticks for the kids. No magic, just horror.

Get excited!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That entire pitch just sounds like this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4Hb9fsR3U&t=98s

They even spell it wrong!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read through Bryan Lee O'Malley's Seconds last night and really enjoyed it. It was definitely scripted a lot tighter than Scott Pilgrim, and was a very different style.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

I read through Bryan Lee O'Malley's Seconds last night and really enjoyed it. It was definitely scripted a lot tighter than Scott Pilgrim, and was a very different style.

It feels like Scott Pilgrim was this giant exercise in improving his storytelling and building a readership so that he could write a followup to Lost at Sea. Seconds is wonderful, but I'm really glad that it seems to go in a very different direction than Scott Pilgrim.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Did anyone else pick up Spread last week? I thought it was kind of cool. I got a Saga-esq vibe especially with the narration structure.

evilemu
Sep 26, 2005
I've been having a blast with Manifest Destiny. Apart from the obvious historical characters, I have absolutely no clue who is safe.

I really like the idea of historical fantasy, but something not based on established myths. Is there anything similar worth tracking down? I'd prefer something with more action rather than an alternative history lesson.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Did anyone else pick up Spread last week? I thought it was kind of cool. I got a Saga-esq vibe especially with the narration structure.

Yeah, I did based on Justin Jordan's work. I liked it a lot and I'll be sticking with it to see where it goes.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Reposting from the recommendations thread, as I'll probably get more feedback here.

What's the status of Image Comics' Bedlam series? I've read the first two trade paperbacks and am having trouble finding information on any further issues.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bad Dog: good or bad (dog)?

The TP just came out and I gotta say it looks really cool. So tempted to go buy it tomorrow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did they ever finish that? What I read ages ago was pretty great, if weird.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/23/image-expo-at-san-diego-comic-con/:allears:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 24, 2014

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

I'm looking at:
Rumble - Arcudi doing crazy poo poo? I'll give that a try
Invisible Republic, Drifter, Southern Cross - I need more sci fi
Injection - Moon Knight has bought some faith

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ellis, Shalvey and Bellaire have my money no matter what they do. Good to see them decide to take the effort they put into Moon Knight creator owned.

Also From Under Mountains is going to be great. Not familar with Claire Gibson but Marian Churchland and Sloane Leong are pretty drat great.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I've finally started reading The Star Wars since it recently wrapped up and, man...it's not great. Very clearly a rough draft of what ended up being great thanks to George Lucas not being 100% in control and the story becoming a trilogy. I guess it's accurate to its influences though? A few "yippee!"s and fighter pilots talking about bringing a "big pop gun".

Definitely worth looking into if you love Star Wars since it's fun to see now-established names and ideas as they were originally imagined (Han Solo the green alien and the 2 person stardestroyers).

If you want to read a good Star Wars comic, though, Brian Wood's first volume is on iBooks for free right now
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/star-wars-volume-1-in-shadow/id885955691?mt=11

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it's insane, but if you still like Star Wars after all this time I'd definitely recommend it just for how loving surreal an experience it is.

I don't know if it's intentional or just the artist being cute, but probably the weirdest part is that Luke Skywalker looks almost exactly like George Lucas if he was in better shape.

Wait... Lucas. Luke. Oh noooooooooooo

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have been trying to enjoy Trees but I was expecting the book to be about the "Trees" themselves but it's more about people dealing with the "trees". I like it but it's totally different from what I was expecting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm probably a bigger Ellis fan than most people here, and while I wish he'd do some longer run or series again, I am also pretty much just fine with him doing what are essentially comic short stories. He's been on a roll this past year - I even really liked that Avengers GN he did.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm probably a bigger Ellis fan than most people here, and while I wish he'd do some longer run or series again, I am also pretty much just fine with him doing what are essentially comic short stories. He's been on a roll this past year - I even really liked that Avengers GN he did.

I'm not saying Trees is bad by any extent, I just didn't expect the focus to be on individual characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Trees is supposed to be long form if you talk to Jason Howard about it. He says he's def gotten scripts for the first arc and there's been ideas given to him from Ellis about where he wants it to go and he's plotted out ~20 issues so far. We'll see how many of those are written when it comes time to poo poo or get off the pot but that's where we're at.