Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

Goons have no reason to condescend to anything, in my honest opinion.

Really? Do tell... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
it is impossible for me to read that and not hate it even though I know it is supposed to be a joke.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 29, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Smoking Crow posted:

Goons have no reason to condescend to anything, in my honest opinion.

Speak for yourself, heh. :smug:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

Let's take a moment out of our discussion to agree on one thing. :allears: is the worst smilie on these forums and everyone would appreciate it if you didn't use it.

It is the personification of responses to your idiocy.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

It is the personification of responses to your idiocy.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Is this thread still about men thinking they are allowed to have opinions about abortions or is it about religious dictatorships or what

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blatman posted:

Is this thread still about men thinking they are allowed to have opinions about abortions or is it about religious dictatorships or what

Right now it's smilie discussion.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Smoking Crow posted:

Let's take a moment out of our discussion to agree on one thing. :allears: is the worst smilie on these forums and everyone would appreciate it if you didn't use it.

I use it, but only to express unironic doting affection while drunk, such as here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579076&pagenumber=9558&perpage=40#post431947339

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You get drunk? What happened to willfully controlling your behavior?

Do you think Jesus thinks it's better to get drunk than it is to let throbbing cocktips pierce your sphincter?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

You get drunk? What happened to willfully controlling your behavior?

Do you think Jesus thinks it's better to get drunk than it is to let throbbing cocktips pierce your sphincter?

It turns out that I'm actually really, really bad at willfully controlling my behavior.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

buttcoin smuggler posted:

Right, sure. The burden is on anybody trying to bridge the is/ought gap to show that their proposal works. I totally agree. But there is also a burden of proof on someone who claims that the is/ought gap is impossible to bridge. That is a very controversial claim that requires justification.

This was the claim I took Rudatron to be making. He/she said it was a "basic result of philosophical inquiry" that one cannot get from descriptive statements to prescriptive ones, seeming to imply that their impossibility claim was universally held and not controversial. I apologize if I misinterpreted that comment.

I wouldn't say it's a basic result of philosophical inquiry as much as it is a basic categorical error to conflate is and ought statements. If you want to make the case for ethical naturalism go right ahead. But if you don't subscribe to it I don't really see the point in continuing this vein of discussion, aside from qualifying the nature of categorical errors and how they might be circumvented.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I have an opinion on abortion if you want to talk about it.

I don't see why men shouldn't have them too. It's a deep issue with huge ethical and practical consequences.

Men don't get to have opinions about abortions until they have a uterus, is the thing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blatman posted:

Men don't get to have opinions about abortions until they have a uterus, is the thing

I know men with uteruses. What do you say about trans-men?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I don't think you know what a uterus is

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blatman posted:

I don't think you know what a uterus is

I don't think you know what a trans-man is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kyrie eleison posted:

It turns out that I'm actually really, really bad at willfully controlling my behavior.

We've read your posts, we know.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

I don't think homosexuals are any kind of threat. I'm just saying that I feel I have a responsibility to procreate which is ultimately greater than my desire to fulfill my homosexual desires.

Homosexuals can marry each other and procreate or adopt. And before you poo poo on other people's families, go ahead and mentally replace "gay" with "black", and think about how hosed up it would be to say that interracial marriages are fundamentally disordered and how you fear for the children of those unnatural unions.

quote:

I am not interested in forcing you to do anything. I do not believe in hate, cruelty, or anything of the sort. And, of course, I do not want anyone to commit suicide or to feel psychologically tortured, I'm not sure why you think that.

Gay people have to spend their whole lives hearing about how they are inferior and should choose to be straight if they want to be moral. Sorry your religion did that to you, it's terrible I know, maybe you could not perpetuate it?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I actually thought you meant a trans woman, my bad

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

My view this this: I agree that "is" and "ought" statements are different things. However, I don't think it's impossible to show an "is" statement implies an "ought" statement (at least on the basis of what has been said so far in this thread).

The point is that trotting out "is cannot imply ought" as if it were some unquestionable, or even widely agreed, truth is basic error, and I wanted to correct it.

"Is" can shape "ought" statements, much as how an understanding of a disease shapes the decisionmaking process of how it should be treated, or even whether it is necessary to treat. However, the idea that prescriptive statements can be derived from descriptive ones is a pretty bold proposition due to their categorical differences.

Do you have any actual arguments regarding why we should give the idea of ethical naturalism any serious consideration? Because otherwise it just sounds almost as unsupported as "look maybe a contradiction CAN exist, and the law of non-contradiction !(A = !A) isn't absolute."

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Homosexuals can marry each other and procreate or adopt. And before you poo poo on other people's families, go ahead and mentally replace "gay" with "black", and think about how hosed up it would be to say that interracial marriages are fundamentally disordered and how you fear for the children of those unnatural unions.

I suppose that thing about race would be true but I mean that's just not a Catholic teaching and never has been, in fact today the recessional hymn was In Christ There Is No East or West, an ode to human unity through Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsE-89wNWQ

quote:

Gay people have to spend their whole lives hearing about how they are inferior and should choose to be straight if they want to be moral. Sorry your religion did that to you, it's terrible I know, maybe you could not perpetuate it?

You are free to believe whatever you want, but we're on a debate & discussion forum where I am frequently asked by people about my views on homosexuality so I decided to share them with you due to the regular requests, otherwise I would keep my personal thoughts on the subject to myself so as not to upset others. I love my fellow homosexual people and sometimes have sex with them.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

"Is" can shape "ought" statements, much as how an understanding of a disease shapes the decisionmaking process of how it should be treated, or even whether it is necessary to treat. However, the idea that prescriptive statements can be derived from descriptive ones is a pretty bold proposition due to their categorical differences.

Do you have any actual arguments regarding why we should give the idea of ethical naturalism any serious consideration? Because otherwise it just sounds almost as unsupported as "look maybe a contradiction CAN exist, and the law of non-contradiction !(A = !A) isn't absolute."

I don't understand, according to this logic any faulty understanding of medicine which did not cure disease would be correct at that time due to the physician really truly believing that incorrect understanding was true, does that mean it was correct at that time?

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

I suppose that thing about race would be true but I mean that's just not a Catholic teaching and never has been,

Right, that's the point of the analogy: saying mixed-race couples are inherently worse parents is equally incorrect and deplorable as what you say about gays, so since you would recoil from that then....ah gently caress it, nevermind I don't want to have this argument.

quote:

I love my fellow homosexual people and sometimes have sex with them.

:3:
This. Gay love is pretty rad, maybe those good feelings welling up when you kiss another boy are the voice of God telling you something important.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Smoking Crow posted:

:allears:

(sorry)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What? No I disagree with you there, I don't agree that apologetics must necessarily be political, I don't really think a defense of an intellectual position necessarily has political overtones. It often does, of course, and christian apologetics often do, but (for me at least) it honestly seems to depends more on form and on what they decide is valid. If it has a good logical flow to it then I don't necessarily think it's political, it's just following through on argument. Your obvious counter here is that their motivation (or true motivation) must necessarily be political, but to me that's almost impossible to resolve. And it kind of spreads 'politics' as the primary motivator for all human behavior, if you're not careful. Is that a useful result? How would you even prove it? I just take a functional view, much easier imo.

Your use of apocalypse here is also strange. If any great ideological shift is necessarily an apocalypse, then doesn't that kind of devalue what an actual apocalypse is? Or even a catastrope? Perhaps from inside any given ideology, a shift away from that ideology must necessarily be a terrible thing. But you think that something with that kind of language, would be based a society-wide understanding of catastrophe? These writings are meant to be read by others outside that community, right? If he's engaging in what you say he is, then I think that's actually much worse then if he was doing what I say he was!

quote:

And the same can be said about religious thought. And these chains of thought really overlap.
Unquestionably this is historically true, but that's not really the case now. Honestly I look at these kinds of writings, and they're not engaging with current thought. They just kind of fester in their own little forts, sometimes (but only rarely) spilling out like in conversations like this one. Maybe I'm being too harsh here, but that's just the way I see it.

quote:

I would say they want a different foundational idea. And they are engaging in (and I like your phrasing of this) "an ideological battle with material political goals" and if we miss the nature of what they are doing, the conversation becomes about specific details of the systematics being correct or not. If you write them off because the system is poo poo (and it usually is) you can miss what is going on. One systematic has been taken hollowed out and another foundation has been jammed in. It is a mistake to not take that seriously.
See, I wouldn't agree that it's been 'jammed in', but perhaps that is just an ideological difference. But I also don't think that taking them seriously really provides much insight into what you're talking about. It wasn't those beliefs that created that change in the first place. gently caress, I don't even think you can really answer questions of causes of social change with opinion surveys at all. Everyone 'in the moment' already has a kind of lens which they must necessarily filter everything through, simply asking them what they think happened is pointless. The flip side also works, of course, the people who were doing it wouldn't really have a clue what was going on anyway; they know not what they do, yet they do it. At best these kind of writings provide an insight into the ideas of the community they were written in. But historical forces? No, no way, it's too unreliable.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 14, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

rudatron posted:

Your use of apocalypse here is also strange. If any great ideological shift is necessarily an apocalypse, then doesn't that kind of devalue what an actual apocalypse is? Or even a catastrope? Perhaps from inside any given ideology, a shift away from that ideology must necessarily be a terrible thing. But you think that something with that kind of language, would be based a society-wide understanding of catastrophe? These writings are meant to be read by others outside that community, right? If he's engaging in what you say he is, then I think that's actually much worse then if he was doing what I say he was!

The quote was from Ethics, which is a compilation of Bonhoeffer's writings that were spared the gestapo. Nothing in Ethics or Letters from Prison was meant to be published as far as I know.

Also, As I pointed out earlier, the context of the void is the disunity of Christendom via nationalism and total war.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 14, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I don't personally have any arguments to present in favor of ethical naturalism, because I haven't thought about this stuff in a long time. If you'd like a reference, section 4 of this encyclopedia entry describes three contemporary naturalist positions and gives a bibliography. It's a fairly mainstream, respectable position.

However, my point isn't that ethical naturalism is a great theory. I'm only claiming that we shouldn't blithely dismiss any position that attempts to bridge the is/ought gap without considering that argument on its merits.

Uh, okay I just slogged through that article. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is always a bit of a dense read, but from what I can gather none of these ethical theories actually try to derive prescriptive statements from descriptive statements.

"Ethical naturalism" in this sense doesn't mean "ethical values derived from facts about nature." It means "ethical systems in the context of metaphysical naturalism, in which ethical statements are constrained/shaped by nature" as opposed to ethics derived from supernatural entities. A lot of it is in regards to the logical "grammar" underlying ethical reasoning. I don't see anything regarding how ethical values are drawn from facts of the world.

Seriously, I really don't think these theories mean what you think they mean.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 29, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

As the SEP entry notes, it depends on how broadly you interpret the term 'ethical naturalism.' Here's a blurb from the Wikipedia entry on the is-ought problem, which is perhaps clearer.

But the term "ought" there is used in two different contexts. In that statement you highlighted "ought" is a term of describing the causal sequence of events. But when people discuss the "is-ought" dichotomy, they're speaking of "ought" in terms of prescriptive value. "If one wants A, he should do B" may be a descriptively true framing of a situation. However, this doesn't tell us why A is prescriptively desirable in the first place.

This framing might be a "resolution" to the is-ought dichotomy that avoids the categorical error, but it does so at the cost of making an equivocative error.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 29, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I believe Neo-Aristotelians get around this by arguing that humans have some inherent purpose (derived from certain natural facts about humans, as in Aristotle's original function argument).

The purpose of an axe, is, among other things, to cut stuff. We condemn dull axes as bad axes because they do not cut things well. An axe ought to be sharp.

Neo-Aristotelians will argue that in order for humans to fulfill their purpose, they ought to act virtuously.

I saw that part, but it still doesn't really unify descriptive and prescriptive statements under one banner, because you're still dealing with two discrete concepts. The first is "goodness is that which is conducive to valued aspects of an entity's given nature." This is an ontological meta-ethical statement. "X, Y, and Z are the valued aspects of an entity's given nature." This is a descriptive statement.

Ultimately, the big problem is that at the end of the day value is inherently subjective. Not subjective as in arbitrary per se, but subjective in the sense that it only has meaning to the individual considering the statement. Descriptive statements are true regardless of the individuals in question. Prescriptive statements are valid only insofar as an individual considering said statement commits to that value out of his own volition.

My thinking may be muddy right now but that's only because it's 2 am here. I'll mull this over later.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Miltank posted:

The quote was from Ethics, which is a compilation of Bonhoeffer's writings that were spared the gestapo. Nothing in Ethics or Letters from Prison was meant to be published as far as I know.

Also, As I pointed out earlier, the context of the void is the disunity of Christendom via nationalism and total war.
But that doesn't even help your argument here: to argue that the world wars are a result of the decreasing importance of religion is incredibly asinine. Is this what fundamentalist christians actually believe, that versailles + economics are totally unimportant as causal agents and, really, it's because people they weren't 'christian' enough? That warfare was less common in a highly religious environment (an extremely dubious assertion)? What kind of historian would take that argument seriously? Because that's exactly what he's doing: framing the crisis as a simple loss or religiosity. The context doesn't actually help your quote here, it is very clear what he is blaming.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 14, 2014

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 29, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know if you saw it, but I edited it in a link to a review of a book attacking the fact/value distinction a few posts ago. That's probably a better response to your request for positive reasons to be skeptical of the prescriptive/descriptive statement distinction.

Also I'm confused now. You were worried before about the "ought" being of "prescriptive value" but that seems to me to be shifting the goalposts a bit. Why doesn't the following suffice to show we can get from "is" to "ought"?

1) Sharp axes are better at cutting than dull axes.
2) In order to cut things well, an axe ought to be sharp.

You've smuggled a purpose into statement number two.

2) The purpose of an axe is to cut things well, so your axe ought to be sharp.

Reformulating statement 2 without prescribing a goal just results in a restatement of (1).

To make things clearer compare with:

1) Dull axes are better at hammering than sharp axes
2) In order to hammer well, an axe ought to be dull

Or:
1) A dull axe is a safer theater prop than a sharp axe
2) In order to keep theater actors safe, an axe ought to be dull

The only way to decide if an axe ought to be sharp or dull is to prescribe the purpose for which we intend it. Am I buying an axe to cut things, or am I buying it for my one-man performance of Lincoln Lover?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread