Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mister Nobody posted:

Bringing back the X-Men chat, If im not mistaken Xavier was never paralyzed. The boulder just crushed his legs beyond repair.

Definitely not the case in the movies, variably the case in the comics. Most continuities he was paralysed. Frequently he was fixed for brief periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mister Nobody posted:

Bringing back the X-Men chat, If im not mistaken Xavier was never paralyzed. The boulder just crushed his legs beyond repair.

Yeah, originally his legs were crushed. At least his first re-crippling was a broken back though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
One of the things that kinda bugged me in the new Robocop movie was when he was freaking out, and they let him run away through rice paddies and water, then shut him down when he wasn't gonna quit running.

No one bothered to actually check WHERE he was when they shut him down. He could have landed face down in a rice paddy and drowned. Never occurred to em.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The trolls in Frozen seem really at odds with the rest of the movie. They're only in two scenes necessary to drive the plot forward, but they feel pointless, as if their role could have taken by a single character like a wizard/enchantress/magical hermit or anyone else who could exposit the same lines. It doesn't help that their Fixer-Upper song is completely off-tone by having this irrelevant, silly musical number in the middle of a dire situation. It's like splicing a scene from The Producers into the middle of Downfall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The trolls in Frozen seem really at odds with the rest of the movie. They're only in two scenes necessary to drive the plot forward, but they feel pointless, as if their role could have taken by a single character like a wizard/enchantress/magical hermit or anyone else who could exposit the same lines. It doesn't help that their Fixer-Upper song is completely off-tone by having this irrelevant, silly musical number in the middle of a dire situation. It's like splicing a scene from The Producers into the middle of Downfall.

Their song is also at odds to the rest of the movie. Like they make a thing about how there aren't really any bad people, except of course Hans. Also the weird part where Kristoff tells them Anna is engaged and they say "eh, just go after her anyway."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this? posted:

Their song is also at odds to the rest of the movie. Like they make a thing about how there aren't really any bad people, except of course Hans. Also the weird part where Kristoff tells them Anna is engaged and they say "eh, just go after her anyway."

And yet, their advice is the ticket to saving the day; it's just misdirected. "People make bad choices when they're mad or scared or stressed" is literally describing Elsa, and "throw a little love their way and [things will turn out their best or something I don't actually remember the whole lyric]" is a silly but literal way of describing how Anna saves the day.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Jul 14, 2014

Aqua Outlaw
Apr 26, 2005

Guard thy ambrosial tears.

muscles like this? posted:

It feels like the trolls were part of an early draft of the story and should have been edited out but someone really wanted to fit them in anyway.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Most of the initial setup to Frozen is irrationally irritating to me. The entire setup of Elsa being isolated in her room, even after the parents die, is just weird to me. Who is serving her food? Does she receive any education? Has Anna ever had an actual conversation with her behind the door? When it's time for the coronation, things are just a tiny bit awkward between the girls and Elsa is apparently relatively prepared to rule a kingdom.

I can let it go (ha) because I realize it's just getting the ball rolling for the main story, but it just seems to be setting it all up so transparently.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think she's literally locked behind that door 24/7. The movie flat out states the castle gates are closed so they're defintely not leaving the castle but I think she still stays within it. They say they still have a small number of servants so it's possible they know her secret (and are sworn to secrecy in some way). The implication isn't that the two don't ever talk just that Elsa is so weird and distant because she's hiding a secret and still feels bad for almost killing her sister.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Jul 14, 2014

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Aqua Outlaw posted:

It feels like the trolls were part of an early draft of the story and should have been edited out but someone really wanted to fit them in anyway.

Based on how production companies often shoehorn things into films that don't belong, this is most likely the case.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure I read there was something wonky going on with the Trolls because of all the changes they made to Elsa throughout production.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While not exactly "bad" per se, it is kind of goofy how quickly Sam and Dean can perfectly dig out graves in Supernatural.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have a lot of practice.

They probably dig more than professional grave diggers.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
The trolls gave the movie a) an up-tempo musical number, and b) another merchandising opportunity in case the Olaf character didn't take off. The trolls are the very essence of a committee-creation.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I feel it's implied by the scenes at the end that at least some of the castle staff were aware of Elsa's powers, since they act more sympathetic when Anna freezes and Else weeps over her, but it's never said so it's really just conjecture on my part.
And earlier in development, Elsa's powers were prophesied by the trolls to be the harbinger of the apocalypse or some poo poo, before they decided to change it for some unknown reason. Basically, they were a little more involved than "hey get with the princess you moose loving freak". Personally, I would've preferred the original story, because they wrote a great song with Elsa and Anna sniping at each other that really felt like sibling interactions, and also it didn't just handwave Elsa's powers, but hey. You get what you get.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just marathoned Arrow's first season. At one point Oliver's best friend and business partner learns his identity. The cops bust his nightclub, which doubles as a front for his hideout. When they enter the door with the numeric keypad that leads to his gear and computer network, everything is replaced with boxes of wine. Oliver just left that room and no less than ten minutes passed before the cops arrived. How did that just happen? Did his best friend push all the computer hardware and neatly-racked arrows into the boxes? He couldn't get the construction guys to do it otherwise they'd know his secret.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Just rewatched Book of Eli.

Forgot what the bbcode for spoilers are but dont read this next paragraph if you dont wanna know the big reveal.

There is a point where Eli and the girl come across the house of the elderly cannible couple, she asks him "Do you think anyone lives down there?" And he responds with something like "I dunno." He doesnt ask "Down where? What are you talking about? Where are you even looking?" It isnt the only point in the film where he blatently ignores he is blind. They try so hard to drop hints that he is and then gently caress up with bits like that.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
A few weeks ago, I finally got around to watching Pacific Rim. There's a lot of nonsense in that movie, but I expected that, and I primed myself to just ignore it. One thing still managed to annoy me, though: the part where Charlie Day's character spits the line about Kaiju needing two brains to move around, "like a dinosaur." That's such a well-known piece of bullshit that I can't believe it made it into the final cut. The guy is supposed to be some sort of multi-PhD hyper-biologist, but he's carrying around a misconception that any kid interested in dinosaurs knows is baloney by age 10?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Centripetal Horse posted:

A few weeks ago, I finally got around to watching Pacific Rim. There's a lot of nonsense in that movie, but I expected that, and I primed myself to just ignore it. One thing still managed to annoy me, though: the part where Charlie Day's character spits the line about Kaiju needing two brains to move around, "like a dinosaur." That's such a well-known piece of bullshit that I can't believe it made it into the final cut. The guy is supposed to be some sort of multi-PhD hyper-biologist, but he's carrying around a misconception that any kid interested in dinosaurs knows is baloney by age 10?

All of the science in Pacific Rim is deliberately stupid. Remember how they described the new and improved armor on the Gypsy Danger as being 'molecularly pure iron'? Pure iron shatters like porcelyn. Every time there's technobabble, it's stupid.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
EVERYTHING DIGITAL IS DOWN!

:science: GOOD THING SHE'S ANALOG

me - :wtc:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ratoslov posted:

All of the science in Pacific Rim is deliberately stupid. Remember how they described the new and improved armor on the Gypsy Danger as being 'molecularly pure iron'? Pure iron shatters like porcelyn. Every time there's technobabble, it's stupid.

Yeah it's like The Core or other such technobullshit movies. No one is watching them to get realistic science.

I'm a scientician myself, and I don't care about a movie not having good science as long as it has a decent plot and good characterisation, or, barring that, giant robots smashing the tar out of massive superbeasts.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

dpack_1 posted:

Forgot what the bbcode for spoilers are but dont read this next paragraph if you dont wanna know the big reveal.

There is a point where Eli and the girl come across the house of the elderly cannible couple, she asks him "Do you think anyone lives down there?" And he responds with something like "I dunno." He doesnt ask "Down where? What are you talking about? Where are you even looking?" It isnt the only point in the film where he blatently ignores he is blind. They try so hard to drop hints that he is and then gently caress up with bits like that.

I mean it's not a wrong answer for that question and he's not mr. magoo levels of blind, so...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Eli isn't exactly trying to broadcast it. It's a legitimate answer without sounding obtuse.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

dpack_1 posted:

Listen,
If you're blind, and you're trying to keep it on the down low, you don't respond to questions like that with "I don't know, because I'm a person who is blind." You give loving delphic answers like he did. It's not a plot hole.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm watching The 100, and it really bothers me that the closed-system space-station-dwelling last of the human race execute people by flushing them into space. You're WASTING MATERIALS, FUCKWITS. And not just the airlock full of loving AIR, the corpse is super-valuable as well...

Also, that they don't appear to have retained any form of telescope, or indeed, eyes, to see what life is like on the surface.

It is not that good of a programme.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mister Nobody posted:

The initial purpose of the serum wasn't to suppress his powers. Beast made it so he could walk again, the unintended consequence was that it ended suppressing his powers.

In short Dr. McCoy can only make useful things by accident.

It does kind of beg the question of "if you have a super-serum that not only supreses mutant powers, but has a side effect of healing crippling injuries, why aren't you doing anything with it?" It was a super stupid way to solve the "Prof X is down and out and has turned his powers off" plot, since it means there's a magical super weapon that would solve most people's problems forever, and they just never bothered to use it. Magneto kind of a huge dick to everyone with his metal powers? Problem solved. Logan really wants to die, and can't? Problem solved. Logan has a crippling TBI and can't remember stuff? Problem solved. Rogue wants to not literally murder people by touching them? loving solved. Scott Summers wants a day without glasses on? Done.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think the explanation for Xavier's legs being healed was his telepathy was actually disrupting his ability to walk.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Jul 21, 2014

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the explanation for Xavier's legs being healed was his telepathy was actually disrupting his ability to walk.

They're pretty clear about the serum healing his walking-ness, and as a side effect, dulling out his telepathy. In the movie at least, who the gently caress knows with the comics.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just the explanation from the 90s cartoon? That's why he could walk in Genosha, the country where all the non-dinosaur mutants lost their powers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In early Season 2 of Six Feet Under, a football player dies and his lifespan is given as 1981-2001. In the next scene David says he was 21 years old. Come on, Six Feet Under.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

I just marathoned Arrow's first season. At one point Oliver's best friend and business partner learns his identity. The cops bust his nightclub, which doubles as a front for his hideout. When they enter the door with the numeric keypad that leads to his gear and computer network, everything is replaced with boxes of wine. Oliver just left that room and no less than ten minutes passed before the cops arrived. How did that just happen? Did his best friend push all the computer hardware and neatly-racked arrows into the boxes? He couldn't get the construction guys to do it otherwise they'd know his secret.

I think it's worth watching this one minute video to catch just a glimpse of how low-budget superhero lairs operate.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Henchman of Santa posted:

In early Season 2 of Six Feet Under, a football player dies and his lifespan is given as 1981-2001. In the next scene David says he was 21 years old. Come on, Six Feet Under.

He wasnt academically gifted and was held back a year in school, so he actually had to repeat 1994.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Who What Now posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just the explanation from the 90s cartoon? That's why he could walk in Genosha, the country where all the non-dinosaur mutants lost their powers.

You're thinking of The Savage Lands.

Genosha is like a mutant island country ruled by Magneto...or at least was for a time, I haven't kept up with X-Men comics at all.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, that would make me 20. Because everyone is ten for two years. Because fifth grade is really hard for ev ... ery ... one ... MOM HOW MANY LIES HAVE I BEEN LIVING?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

You're thinking of The Savage Lands.

Genosha is like a mutant island country ruled by Magneto...or at least was for a time, I haven't kept up with X-Men comics at all.

It's a wasteland now from like 4 different genocides.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

At this point the definition of 'genocide' is literally 'kill all the people in genosha'

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I sometimes say my daughter is 7, but she's a few months younger. :ssh:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Just saw Thor 2. Way back in the first one Thor comes to Earth and is confused by modern things like cars and computers. Then when we see his home it's full of modern technology even more advanced than what we have.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Snowpiercer: The entire end of the movie. Curtis stops the engine, wrecking the train and killing everyone on board. Except for an ~18 year old girl and a ~5 year old boy who have never been off the train. They are literally the only people left alive on earth at this point. Now what? They walk off the train and see a polar bear (who I half expected to hold up a Coke and smile) and then it fades to black. There's no way they end up living or repopulating the earth. This movie left me with so many questions.

How did it get so many positive reviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just saw Thor 2. Way back in the first one Thor comes to Earth and is confused by modern things like cars and computers. Then when we see his home it's full of modern technology even more advanced than what we have.

Okay this segues directly into something that always bugs me - super advance civilisations that look like primitive ones. The Asgardians have all this super tech but hide it behind a seemingly primitive facade.

It's like a race where steampunk won.