Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Decision Viking is a great name.

EDIT: Anyone else not able to generate a world with the new version? It keeps crashing everytime I try to make one. It'll create the world just fine, but when it tries to offload units it crashes. Once again, the only thing in the error log is;

quote:

go baby!
usz: 0
post baby
post clean

I dunno what to do. I just wanna play the new version already gently caress.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Anyone else not able to generate a world with the new version? It keeps crashing everytime I try to make one. It'll create the world just fine, but when it tries to offload units it crashes. Once again, the only thing in the error log is;

I got the same thing. Te way I fixed it was extracting the zip again and not touching any of the init stuff until I'd genned a new world.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Internet Kraken posted:

I genned fine with Small size, small history with minerals jacked. Everything else defaults. I didn't do advanced because gently caress hand crafting and getting attached to something that is going to be broken enough that I'll probably be starting over again in a week or two.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
New fun bug. Babies will migrate on their own without a parent and slowly starve to death. drat waste of coffin space I tell you.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

quick question -- if I export a map from Legends, where can I find it? I've been poking around the program files for DF, but I can't find anything...

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Internet Kraken posted:

This appeared in my error log. I haven't the faintest idea what it could possibly mean.

Heh, when I'm debugging my own code, I'll often write bizarre poo poo like that into an error log for my own benefit to track how a particular variable is changing and when it's changing, if I can't use an IDE for whatever reason -- although I try to put #ifdef DEBUG and #endif blocks into the code so that it doesn't accidentally make it into the release. There's probably a better way of doing it, but maybe Toady debugs the same way I do.

It's almost kind of a shame that poop didn't get introduced into this version, since I'm sure that guy would have no problems at all with constipation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By the way, any way to find a vault's location in legends so I don't have to track down rumors as an adventurer?

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Outpost liasons bringing news of the outside world is a tiny new thing that totally rocks. My third caravan brought word that our entire civilization was being crushed by a goblin horde led by Zolak Stakestolen, a dwarven traitor. Suddenly my fort has purpose. We're all that's left, the last stronghold of all dwarfkind.

The world living on after the fort dies sounds like a little thing as well but it totally changes the game for me. I love the idea of being able to add my own variables to the simulation and watching what happens. My next fort is going to do nothing by pump out legendary soldiers and masterwork armor, rinse and repeat. I want to see how a few hundred nearly immortal heroes affects my civilization.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I started a demigod dwarven adventurer. I walked out of my room, managed to find the main fortress rooms where all the stuff and people were, and found that friendly goblins with profession names and unfriendly ones, along with unfriendly and friendly dwarves, were attacking each other. It was chaos; I tried to wade through them to find a good weapon, but gave up because of so many people getting hit and wondering if it was an attack.

I did some uneventful stuff with that guy and died. I started a new adventurer in the same place (so, two weeks later) with no folks attacking others to be found, found the dining room, and asked the Baroness (who had climbed up a a tree outside the fortress in terror in the previous game) what was up.

She told me that not two weeks ago, the fortress had waited out an insurrection.

:aaaaa:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

90% of my dwarves got drafted to deal with a pair of minotaur thieves that snuck into my hospital and well area. A truly epic slapfight ensues until, a few moments later, every dwarf, and both minos, are unconcious on the floor, covered in puddles of vomit.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Pokeylope posted:

Outpost liasons bringing news of the outside world is a tiny new thing that totally rocks. My third caravan brought word that our entire civilization was being crushed by a goblin horde led by Zolak Stakestolen, a dwarven traitor. Suddenly my fort has purpose. We're all that's left, the last stronghold of all dwarfkind.

The world living on after the fort dies sounds like a little thing as well but it totally changes the game for me. I love the idea of being able to add my own variables to the simulation and watching what happens. My next fort is going to do nothing by pump out legendary soldiers and masterwork armor, rinse and repeat. I want to see how a few hundred nearly immortal heroes affects my civilization.

can you sim n years after retiring a fort? I assume you no longer have to truly abandon the site?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

StrangeAeon posted:

90% of my dwarves got drafted to deal with a pair of minotaur thieves that snuck into my hospital and well area. A truly epic slapfight ensues until, a few moments later, every dwarf, and both minos, are unconcious on the floor, covered in puddles of vomit.

I want to believe someone puked and everyone slipped in it and cracked their skulls on it leaving a slurry of blood and vomit causing more comical slipping. Do the combat logs have as much comedy as my imagination?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

pixaal posted:

I want to believe someone puked and everyone slipped in it and cracked their skulls on it leaving a slurry of blood and vomit causing more comical slipping. Do the combat logs have as much comedy as my imagination?

I have no idea, at this point. There's 53 pages and counting of reports on combat, just a bunch of unarmed dwarves punching an unconcious (and toothless-- there's teeth scattered everywhere) minotaur in the head until they get so tired they pass out.

I tried assigning mining picks and training axes as weapons, even, but the mino is almost standing on the weapons stockpile, and is close enough to the main stairwell that everyone is just running about in a panic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dungeon Ecology posted:

quick question -- if I export a map from Legends, where can I find it? I've been poking around the program files for DF, but I can't find anything...

Your main Dwarf Fortress folder.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

PhantomZero posted:

No i mean the dwarf fortresses and elven retreats, they are all adjacent to each other. When embarking they are big squares right next to each other. Is it normal for the civilizations to build towns so close together?

The biggest problem is that it happens for goblin fortresses as well. You get this giant sprawl fortress with towers and moats and poo poo which is cool, but since goblin forts are non-travel squares you have to inch through it to find your quest objective and then inch back out for twenty map tiles until you can 'T'ravel again.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I took over the biggest town in my world. The leader of the patrol spit on me after I took over so I'm over there trying to bash his skull in with my axe but his dumb masterwork iron helmet is deflecting it. Then his recruit said he's angry at me, I turned around and murdered him in a hit. Then went back to hitting his captain as the other 3 recruits watched in terror.

e: Ago Howlroots was the old lord. Can't have people thinking I'll stand for loyalists to The Cinnamon Band.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 14, 2014

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

Day 11 of the Slapfight. One of the minotaur took a lucky shot and died, but the other is disrupting my entire fortress.

He's passed out in my meeting hall, a few steps from my main stairwell. Teeth are scattered everywhere, and checking the Wounds screen reveals that the minotaur is one giant bruise, completely toothless, and with a broken neck. It is completely harmless, capable only of vomitting in its coma.

Sadly none of my dwarves seem to realise this. They are taking shifts to slap more bruises onto the mino's skull, while quickly begining to starve and dehydrade because nobody can stop panicing long enough to eat and, I dunno, grab a weapon.

Meanwhile, in the confusion, a child that ran outside got shanked by a surprise orc. He bolted off the edge of the map, leaving a trail of blood. He is now listed as Missing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
he might have died at the edge of the map, depending on where he was shanked

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Dwarven vault are weird. Full of War Champions with three eyes and elephant trunks, and their buddies Uz's creature. There's no loot except for a square twinkling shield in every room.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Thats a great mental image -- a toothless, bruised and bloodied minotaur lays dying in a pool of his own vomit, but all the dwarves can do is run about hide, and occasionally bat at the minotaur's mangled body between bouts of terror.

It is terrifying.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

It is terrifying.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
Has anyone gotten the "demand that a civ pay tribute to your civ" option to work? The lords just keep telling me "I will not bend the knee" no matter how many times I tell them about lords I've murdered

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I haven't played this game since right after the first 3d update years ago. A few observations.

1: Megabeasts are far more common than they used to be. Or maybe I just got lucky before, but half a dozen fortresses have fallen before the first caravan because of megabeasts.

2: The military menu is dense as gently caress.

3: Atom smashers don't work on megabeasts.

4. Cave-ins are loving devestating TERRIFYING. I nearly destroyed half my fortress with one. But I got that mother loving megabeast. I got it. It's dead. And now I am eating its flesh. And my legendary bone carver carved its bones into an image of it striking down his friend.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Maybe its time you bend it for him. :getin:

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012
A wereass showed up and messed up one of military dwarves pretty bad before going down. The wounded guy got sent to the hospital and the chief medical dwarf arrived to diagnose him just in time for the next full moon so he got torn to shreds. I thought I had him isolated but apparently he got out after turning back to a dwarf and the next full moon he transformed right at my main entrance and killed a dozen dwarves before a mace soldier got a lucky shot on his head. Even though most of my soldiers had been training for the past year and a half most of them were too scared to do anything. People are too busy freaking out over the pile of corpses to bury any of them. Some of the children of the deceased started fighting so I tried to get some justice going but I just keep getting "Captain of the guard cancels Beat Criminal: Experiencing emotional shock" over and over.

e: he got over the shock and beat a tantrum-throwing dwarf to death but now he's horrified by the corpse he just created

dead horse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh poo poo, werewolves can do that...

Um. How do I know if a full moon is coming? I might have to isolate some people.

*EDIT*
Actually it's been a couple seasons since the werechinchilla came, I'm probably fine. He outright killed the first five dwarves he got in contact with but then the next one punched his teeth out and strangled him to death while everyone else kicked him to death.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dead horse posted:

A wereass showed up and messed up one of military dwarves pretty bad before going down. The wounded guy got sent to the hospital and the chief medical dwarf arrived to diagnose him just in time for the next full moon so he got torn to shreds. I thought I had him isolated but apparently he got out after turning back to a dwarf and the next full moon he transformed right at my main entrance and killed a dozen dwarves before a mace soldier got a lucky shot on his head. Even though most of my soldiers had been training for the past year and a half most of them were too scared to do anything. People are too busy freaking out over the pile of corpses to bury any of them. Some of the children of the deceased started fighting so I tried to get some justice going but I just keep getting "Captain of the guard cancels Beat Criminal: Experiencing emotional shock" over and over.

e: he got over the shock and beat a tantrum-throwing dwarf to death but now he's horrified by the corpse he just created

See thread title.

Also a werechinchilla sounds adorable.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

Verviticus posted:

can you sim n years after retiring a fort? I assume you no longer have to truly abandon the site?

I don't think there's any convenient way of passing a lot of time, but from my understanding all the stuff you make and dwarves you train persist when you leave a fort to it's own devices. So dwarves and the stuff they're wearing should naturally filter throughout the realm. I don't know if stuff you ship out on caravans actually gets put to good use, but a fort that just exports tons of awesome weapons and armor could make adventuring in that world much easier.

I don't really know any specifics about how it all technically works, but the potential excites me.

If anyone does have specifics i'd love to know.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Well, I want to follow the adventures of Obol Spiceblunt.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Verviticus posted:

You could just build a tiny fort and play that one for awhile and retire it after a few years to pass the time?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pokeylope posted:

I don't think there's any convenient way of passing a lot of time, but from my understanding all the stuff you make and dwarves you train persist when you leave a fort to it's own devices. So dwarves and the stuff they're wearing should naturally filter throughout the realm. I don't know if stuff you ship out on caravans actually gets put to good use, but a fort that just exports tons of awesome weapons and armor could make adventuring in that world much easier.

I don't really know any specifics about how it all technically works, but the potential excites me.

If anyone does have specifics i'd love to know.

I remember playing in a previous version, post fortress, where I came across a human town piled high with dwarf mugs and other assorted worthless poo poo, so it understands taht stuff gets shipped out.

invasions right now are instant-win unless an adventure intevenes, afaik. what might make a difference is getting yourself a dude with some adamantine loadout and going to town on the enemies of your civ. hell, chewing through sieges to reduce the number of invaders probably would help even the odds, but i dont know what determines when your civ would decide to counter attack.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Also a werechinchilla sounds adorable.

It killed 3 dwarves, plus their infant children, ten seconds.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Oh poo poo, werewolves can do that...

Um. How do I know if a full moon is coming? I might have to isolate some people.

The absolute top right tile, to the right of "Idlers: " represents the moon's phase.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

How do you find vaults? Do you just wander around until you run into it? Are there any hints in rumors or whatever?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Arrhythmia posted:

The absolute top right tile, to the right of "Idlers: " represents the moon's phase.

Sweet, I learned something new. Thanks.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Are there any issues with any of the tilesets (esp Phoebus, Ironhand) and the new release? I assumed no tilesets were working right, but the OP doesn't mention any issues, so just checking. :) DFhack, therapist I can marginally live without for a bit, tileset not so much.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I found this sweet little video about a fort. Very :black101:

http://youtu.be/is1wSwdaM2w

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Noricae posted:

Are there any issues with any of the tilesets (esp Phoebus, Ironhand) and the new release? I assumed no tilesets were working right, but the OP doesn't mention any issues, so just checking. :) DFhack, therapist I can marginally live without for a bit, tileset not so much.

Phoebus is working perfectly fine on 40.03 for me.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hihohe posted:

I found this sweet little video about a fort. Very :black101:

http://youtu.be/is1wSwdaM2w

Wow, just make this the new intro for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

I build a new PC a few months ago, and my choice in processor (i5 4670) was made entirely on its single-thread performance reviews.
I have the same processor, it's awesome but I'll be surprised if we see 7.8 GHz CPUs in the next 8 years. I really hope I'm wrong and some incredible breakthrough occurs, but I'm not holding my breath. This one runs DF pretty well though.