Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Max reactivity mode:
850%

How did you manage that? Or... is 100% reactivity the baseline? Then 900% would be 8 rods feeding each rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If I had some computer craft control software I could manage the heat better and probably get it higher.

[edit] I hope I can get back in soon, I can't remember if I turned the reactor off or not and it's sucking down 13 thousand yellorium ingots an hour.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 10, 2014

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

If I had some computer craft control software I could manage the heat better and probably get it higher.

[edit] I hope I can get back in soon, I can't remember if I turned the reactor off or not and it's sucking down 13 thousand yellorium ingots an hour.

How big is this drat thing?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

32x32x48, with 30x30x46 fuel rods, no cooling at all.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

So that's like 165K yellorium to get off the ground. Yowser.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Ak Gara posted:

32x32x48, with 30x30x46 fuel rods, no cooling at all.

Now this is modded Minecraft. I can only hope you're using all that power for planters and harvesters to farm up uranium for an even larger reactor.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

It was powering 850 mining lasers. Strangely the server couldn't handle 41400 fuel rod blocks being filled with 165 million mb of yellorium and anyone that went near my base crashed out. Luckily the server owner managed to select most of the reactor from map edit and replace the fuel rods with smoothstone.

Good bye 6.5 billion rf reactor. You was too hot for this world.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The only instance of a Big Reactor melting down catastrophically.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sage Grimm posted:

The only instance of a Big Reactor melting down catastrophically.

Only instance of a Big Reactor melting down the computer it's being run on catastrophically. :staredog:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

NST Diet was a lot of fun but since a lot have moved over to NST Maxx, I'll probably end up there too.

Only, Diet had a x7 power gen config. And Maxx does not.

Sooo I'm gonna need 16+ reactors and 420+ turbines. :v:

[edit] That's about 8 turbines by 8 turbines for 64 turbines per layer, and about 7 layers.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 11, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ak Gara posted:

Sooo I'm gonna need 16+ reactors and 420+ turbines. :v:

420 steam water every day.

I think yogscast complete is using the default too, and I can't help but feel like it's a little too low for all the effort of building one. The 7x multiplier in diet is hilarious and all but definitely excessive. I don't think 2x would be a problem though.

Maybe I should sit down and calculate all the iron I vomited to build a 7x7x7 frame and compare that to the output of a series of steam dynamos before I stand by that number though. I guess that's 4 sides of 7x6 and 2 sides of 5x5; don't double-count the blocks that touch. So I guess that's 218 case pieces. Four ingots go into four casings, so that's an ingot per case. So that's 218 ingots. Meanwhile a steam dynamo needs something like 11 copper ingots--amongst other things. Generally at the point I'm starting to play with power I normally need iron more than copper though. Gees I don't know where the hell I'm going with all this. If the base 7x7x7 produces more RF than, what, 15-19 steam dynamos then I should just shut up. I can't fire up the game quick and see what my reactor is doing.

I just realized yogscast has the Railcraft steam boiler that I have never tried, so I guess that complicates things too.

Anyways this talk of building big things makes me want to look at the builder script I had before. I was writing it to build undersea domes, but never really tried it out for that; I would still have the problem of getting rid of all the water. I did use it to help build some of the framing that was going around that crazy tower I had on the diet server. I realized I could make the algorithm more efficient if I treated the traversal like a maze solving problem, so I'm kind of pumped to work on it some more.

I'm wondering if there have been any improvements or tricks towards wireless communication and item transfers with turtles. My situation is that I want to leave a turtle chunk loaded with the builder program and have it able to complete structures that use more volume and diversity of materials than its inventory can handle. I pondered something like giving it a tesseract and making it wireless. It would communicate with another computer with access to the same tesseract channel, and send inventory to it as requested. The problem is ComputerCraft's Wifi is pretty obnoxious by default. I think the Wifi range crumbles down to something like 8 blocks when it's raining. I don't think it's happy underwater either. Has anything come out to address this other than config file changes? The only thing I can think of is to actually set up an ME network next to the site, note it on the build plan, and it can travel over to it to take care of business.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I've just started on modular powersuits and I installed night vision but now I have that stupid eye next to my crosshair all the time. Any way to remove that without ditching the night vision?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've just started on modular powersuits and I installed night vision but now I have that stupid eye next to my crosshair all the time. Any way to remove that without ditching the night vision?

That sounds like the Ars Magica 2 UI. You can customize it. I believe it's /am2ui or something like that.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Serifina posted:

That sounds like the Ars Magica 2 UI. You can customize it. I believe it's /am2ui or something like that.

Thanks.

Another question I have: I'm playing the Yogs complete pack and for some reason as soon as it hits midnight the game suddenly skips to 6am and daylight. I hate this since I want as much night as possible to hunt. How can I stop it from skipping time?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks.

Another question I have: I'm playing the Yogs complete pack and for some reason as soon as it hits midnight the game suddenly skips to 6am and daylight. I hate this since I want as much night as possible to hunt. How can I stop it from skipping time?

You're welcome, but I have no idea what the hell that one would be.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks.

Night is disabled in nei. Open your inventory and right click (iirc) on the midnight time button in the top left. You might need to switch nei to cheat mode though.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 12, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know what's going on with the DartCraft magic meter? I can't figure out how I trip it sometimes. All I know is I'm suddenly running around here that stupid chiming sound every few seconds when I'm trying to concentrate on something.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
There seems to be a bug with Mekanism mechanical pipes and Big Reactors (this is all 1.6.4). Mechanical pipes are awesome because they seem to be able to carry an enormous amount of fluids - definitely at least the 2000mB/t needed to max out a Big Reactors turbine. The problem is that when restarting the server, the little connection nubs between the pipes and any Big Reactors blocks disappear and need to be re-connected. This doesn't happen with the connections between pipes and Aqueous Accumulators nearby, as they stay connected when the server is restarted.

edit: seems to be the case for universal cables connected to the turbine power port

Schmerm fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 13, 2014

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone else playing through the yogscast complete pack? Only three of the HQM quest sections are unlocked and we completed all of them. Are the rest just like WIP or is it bugged somehow?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Schmerm posted:

There seems to be a bug with Mekanism mechanical pipes and Big Reactors (this is all 1.6.4). Mechanical pipes are awesome because they seem to be able to carry an enormous amount of fluids - definitely at least the 2000mB/t needed to max out a Big Reactors turbine. The problem is that when restarting the server, the little connection nubs between the pipes and any Big Reactors blocks disappear and need to be re-connected. This doesn't happen with the connections between pipes and Aqueous Accumulators nearby, as they stay connected when the server is restarted.

edit: seems to be the case for universal cables connected to the turbine power port

Tesseracts are the solution to your troubles. Hell, once you get enough water in the loop you don't even need to feed anymore, reactor to turbine to reactor in a closed loop.

They work for the power output too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have ender IO power conduits that disconnect from the power tap visually but stay connected functionally, similar to what Schmerm is talking about. Not a big deal but yeah, something that happens sometimes.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
In my case, the disconnection is physical too. No steam or water or power get in and out. I really want to try 1.7.10 to see if there's fixes for bugs, but I won't budge until TE is updated :colbert:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Falcon2001 posted:

Anyone else playing through the yogscast complete pack? Only three of the HQM quest sections are unlocked and we completed all of them. Are the rest just like WIP or is it bugged somehow?
At least as of a couple of versions ago, they were still WIP. Last time I checked I opened it up in edit mode and there wasn't actually anything in most of the tabs.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah it's still WIP. It took me far too long to find that out.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Schmerm posted:

In my case, the disconnection is physical too. No steam or water or power get in and out. I really want to try 1.7.10 to see if there's fixes for bugs, but I won't budge until TE is updated :colbert:

Working on it! Promise.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Can someone explain to me how the non modded minecraft thread has 27 thousand replies? I can't imagine playing with out even some of the most basic stuff like Minefactory Reloaded, Thermal Expansion, Buildcraft or NEI for it's recipe guide or even some kinda map like Rei's or something.

I just feel bad for those playing it on console. They're using stock textures, right?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Can someone explain to me how the non modded minecraft thread has 27 thousand replies? I can't imagine playing with out even some of the most basic stuff like Minefactory Reloaded, Thermal Expansion, Buildcraft or NEI for it's recipe guide or even some kinda map like Rei's or something.

I just feel bad for those playing it on console. They're using stock textures, right?

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Or the same folks. Playing vanilla and modded minecraft aren't mutually exclusive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

All those machine mods and automatic farming things are really just self referential; you need machines and massive resources to build better machines. Without the goal of making bigger machines there is no point to automate resource production in vanilla Minecraft. People just like making Gokus out of coloured blocks and that works fine in vanilla.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

That thread is 3 times as old

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
Modding is confusing and for nerds. Also, it is cheating.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
Sooo... RotaryCraft (and ElectriCraft, ReactorCraft). Pretty high on the sperg/realism scale, but I kinda dig the consistency of it all. It's also got something missing from other industrial-type mods: a powered lighting fixture that lights up a fuckload of space. At the same time, it's more than a little weird to have a light fixture run off rotational energy. Does any mod have a powerful light fixture that runs off electricity?

I recognize that the engine is limited with respect to lighting, and a floodlight probably has to spawn and keep track of a bunch of hidden point light sources scattered throughout the lighting volume.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ender IO has powered lights, but they are not super powerful sadly. It is cool having lights that require power and can be turned on and off all hidden in the ceiling though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Schmerm posted:

Sooo... RotaryCraft (and ElectriCraft, ReactorCraft). Pretty high on the sperg/realism scale, but I kinda dig the consistency of it all. It's also got something missing from other industrial-type mods: a powered lighting fixture that lights up a fuckload of space. At the same time, it's more than a little weird to have a light fixture run off rotational energy. Does any mod have a powerful light fixture that runs off electricity?

I recognize that the engine is limited with respect to lighting, and a floodlight probably has to spawn and keep track of a bunch of hidden point light sources scattered throughout the lighting volume.

There have been attempts to make large volume lighting in the past, but most of these attempts have a common problem -- they replace the air with invisible, light emitting blocks. This means things that rely on the air being air, such as tree growth, and some multiblock structures, can't work because there are blocks taking up what they think is air in the area.

Thaumcraft's arcane lamps do a decent job of filling an area with light, but they are kinda laggy in large amounts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Thaumcraft's arcane lamps do a decent job of filling an area with light, but they are kinda laggy in large amounts.

From what I understand the sprites just do bad things to servers. Not a problem with single player servers, but if you have a server with more than a handful of friends on it can potentially be nasty. Which is a shame because I love the ability to light an area by hiding arcane lamps behind walls.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Using microblocks you can just embed glowstone directly into the walls. A great way to have full room lighting without the eyesore of torches/raw glowstone/lamps/etc.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Alkydere posted:

From what I understand the sprites just do bad things to servers. Not a problem with single player servers, but if you have a server with more than a handful of friends on it can potentially be nasty. Which is a shame because I love the ability to light an area by hiding arcane lamps behind walls.

But at least with arcane lamps you can find the problem light nodes (rather than them being visually identical to air blocks).

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Schmerm posted:

Yeah, I investigated this and have an issue filed on my bug tracker, but it looks like the problem is on Mekanism's side. I notified Aidan recently, and haven't had a chance to check in with him since then. Hopefully one of us will figure out a fix soonish.

But no promises.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So I'm using AE v14 for 1.6.4, which I know has issues with the network randomly losing its connection to the controller. So far, though, the only solution I've found to remedy this is to physically remove the controller and put it back, forcing the network to reboot.
If I isolate the ME controller from the rest of the network and put a dark cable between it and everything else, would toggling that have the same effect? It wouldn't be such a big deal aside from removing the controller and putting it back is kind of a pain in the rear end, but more importantly I've got a quantum link to another location AND a logistics pipe remote orderer connected to the network that I'd like to actually be able to use without having to get someone to hang out in my base and ME-sit. I figure if I have a way to reliably reboot the network, I can then branch out to maybe using EnderIO or Wireless Redstone to be able to toggle the switch wherever I am and get the network back online.

This is apparently a pretty well known issue in v14, so I figured someone must have come up with a decent solution/workaround, if there is one.

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007

Fortis posted:

So I'm using AE v14 for 1.6.4, which I know has issues with the network randomly losing its connection to the controller. So far, though, the only solution I've found to remedy this is to physically remove the controller and put it back, forcing the network to reboot.
If I isolate the ME controller from the rest of the network and put a dark cable between it and everything else, would toggling that have the same effect? It wouldn't be such a big deal aside from removing the controller and putting it back is kind of a pain in the rear end, but more importantly I've got a quantum link to another location AND a logistics pipe remote orderer connected to the network that I'd like to actually be able to use without having to get someone to hang out in my base and ME-sit. I figure if I have a way to reliably reboot the network, I can then branch out to maybe using EnderIO or Wireless Redstone to be able to toggle the switch wherever I am and get the network back online.

This is apparently a pretty well known issue in v14, so I figured someone must have come up with a decent solution/workaround, if there is one.

I have used a dark cable sticking out of anywhere in the network with a button/lever for a easy reset. I think that's what your getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

TheDead1 posted:

I have used a dark cable sticking out of anywhere in the network with a button/lever for a easy reset. I think that's what your getting at.

Is that all it takes? I thought it rebooted the network solely because it briefly severed the connection.
I actually tried a dark cable a while back but only on one face of the controller, which had like 3 or 4 other connections at the time (my network is messy) and that sort of reboot didn't seem to do anything to make the machines recognize the controller again. I figured that was because it wasn't the controller's ONLY network connection being toggled. If simply toggling any given dark cable is supposed to reboot the network, it might not help at all with this problem. :sigh:

• Locked thread