Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
When do you unlock True Musou? I'm like level 29 and still can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Anonymous Robot posted:

When do you unlock True Musou? I'm like level 29 and still can't do it.

True musou can be used when you're on red life, unless you have a skill which allows you to use it all the time.

It's basically your normal musou but ON FIRE.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Having just picked up DWGR I can't help but feel it's a bit of a step back from some of the earlier entries into the series. The ultimate mode is just little mini campaigns with barely any story, and I seem to recall there being a bit more detail to them previously. The mobile armors are a bit more fun to fight, but they're still a slog so it's not saying much.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to gold medal some of the missions where it says to kill 1500 enemies, however. Unless I stay in the starting field and defend it against incoming enemies, either I'll win the battle too fast and end up with around 500 kills or I'll end up losing Field A to a single Guerilla Unit while I'm off killing things between fields. If I capture a field that releases Guerilla units, then they'll just end up capturing all the enemy fields for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Having just picked up DWGR I can't help but feel it's a bit of a step back from some of the earlier entries into the series. The ultimate mode is just little mini campaigns with barely any story, and I seem to recall there being a bit more detail to them previously. The mobile armors are a bit more fun to fight, but they're still a slog so it's not saying much.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to gold medal some of the missions where it says to kill 1500 enemies, however. Unless I stay in the starting field and defend it against incoming enemies, either I'll win the battle too fast and end up with around 500 kills or I'll end up losing Field A to a single Guerilla Unit while I'm off killing things between fields. If I capture a field that releases Guerilla units, then they'll just end up capturing all the enemy fields for me.

You don't need to defend A Field at all. It takes a cartoonishly long time for anyone to capture it even on the hardest difficulty. One of the last missions involves superpowered Knight and Musha II Gundams rushing right for it and even they take forever to take it.

The campaigns are about the same as they've always been since DWG1 which is the only one to have a more detailed story mode. They don't have CGI cutscenes for anything but the original animated shows though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, I've been playing the (DW8) Wu campaign after the Wei one, and it seems way worse. The mission conditions seem a lot more finnicky and less clear. Right now I'm doing Fan Castle, and stopping both Fu Shiren and the other dude from escaping seems really difficult. That's not the end of the world, I'm not sweating hypothetical routes right now, but then when they start to attack the floodgates, it seems like it may be impossible for me to do on hard. (I'm around level 30.) I get to the checkpoint as fast as possible (it's a long, bending route from where you have to be prior, the catapults) and then as soon as I even begin to fight the officer guarding the gate, the whole level is failed by the flood. It just seems really lame that I'd have to turn my difficulty down to beginner for some kind of arbitrary timer.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hard at level 30 seems kind of high. I'd be doing normal at most. There are 150 levels.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ImpAtom posted:

You don't need to defend A Field at all. It takes a cartoonishly long time for anyone to capture it even on the hardest difficulty.

I'm dying to know what game you're playing because losing A Field is my #1 cause of losses. It's OK to ignore it until you see the defense commanders come out, but once they do you better get back there quick. And even so I once lost a game because I couldn't stop the defense commander from getting killed when I was right there trying to defend the field.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Had Banagher, Char, Heero, and a mobile armor attack my A Field once when losing it was a defeat condition. I tried my best but that field was doomed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

I'm dying to know what game you're playing because losing A Field is my #1 cause of losses. It's OK to ignore it until you see the defense commanders come out, but once they do you better get back there quick. And even so I once lost a game because I couldn't stop the defense commander from getting killed when I was right there trying to defend the field.

You don't even need to stress about it. You're so cartoonishly overpowered in DWG:R that shouldn't be an issue. Burst -> Built up 1-3 SP bars -> SP Attack -> SP Attack (up to x3) -> Burst again -> Repeat until you win the stage.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I usually see Field A end up falling if I forget about it for a minute or so after the defense commander comes out. Not sure if Named characters capture it faster than the Guerrilla Units. I would ask if difficulty level changes it too much but I refuse to believe anyone plays this game on anything lower than Hard.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Is DW 8 for the vita worth getting? I heard that it had serious slowdown issues, is that still true? How does the game match up against the other recent Musou games?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The GIG posted:

I usually see Field A end up falling if I forget about it for a minute or so after the defense commander comes out. Not sure if Named characters capture it faster than the Guerrilla Units. I would ask if difficulty level changes it too much but I refuse to believe anyone plays this game on anything lower than Hard.

I play it on normal with fresh suits and pilots because enemies don't gain any better AI but become huge incredibly tedious walls of HP on hard until you've got A/S rank plans and a modestly leveled pilot.

Hard six star mobile armors with fresh Angelo Geara Zulu and a newbie pilot taught me this lesson. :suicide:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't imagine playing DWGR on a difficulty where you can't blow up grunts in a single charge combo. Otherwise taking fields would be an incredibly boring slog.

This means I play stars 1-3 on Medium and 4+ on Easy. Keep in mind this is with level 20-30 pilots with no combat skills and suits with a D plan and one pip in each weapon upgrade because I'm still in the process of clearing ultimate mode for the first time and I switch pilots/suits constantly. If this makes me a scrublord, so be it. :shrug:

Even at that difficulty though I have to agree with the people saying field A falls to even a single Guerilla Unit in a couple of minutes. And guerillas loving love to beeline straight for field A when you're on the opposite side of the map. It's actually become my #1 complaint with the game. Making you constantly rush back to defend it is tedious and annoying, especially after how Dynasty Warriors 8 almost never makes you babysit your lose-condition leaders.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 14, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's absurdly easy to rank up the difficulty levels in DWGR, especially since higher difficulty levels will drop better parts. Even then, you only need 5000 and 10000 kills on a given pilot/mech to unlock crazy S-rank plans that can easily cope with hard mode, though not having Armor on one can make bosses a little dicey.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not complaining, I know I could do higher difficulties if I had the patience to stick with one suit and pilot. But I don't so instead I'm glad the game lets you adjust the difficulty mostly arbitrarily and the only real penalty is getting crappy plans.

Though I do think it's silly that it's easier to progress by just grinding 10k kills as quickly as possible instead of making steady progress each time you finish a mission and working your way up. It's the one thing I can think of that DWG3 did better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Helion posted:

Is DW 8 for the vita worth getting? I heard that it had serious slowdown issues, is that still true? How does the game match up against the other recent Musou games?

I had fun. Slowdown usually only happened to me when I entered a place with fire attack effects.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You don't even need to switch pilots to level them up. Once you get high-level training you can get anyone to level 30 in literally one click of a button. Just set Favorite Pilots and swap them from time to time and you'll have boatloads of Team Points.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So does anyone know what the officer abilitiesBattle Traits in Ambition Mode's Subjugation maps do? It's getting a little old when I have like 12 officers getting their rear end kicked by a couple Mobile Unit Commanders because I'm not there to babysit them.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 14, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Subjugation loving sucks so I just loaded my army with generic goobers, bought Zhang Liao up to lvl 150, got and upgraded the lvl 6 Twin Axes, and rode about on Puccho Red Hare until I completed it.

I then proceeded to accidentally sell the treasure weapons you get from completing the areas because they're considered generic level 1 weapons, which I tend to sell in bulk without looking.

Supposedly here's what the Battle Traits do: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/728613-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends/69007008

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

GoatLord posted:

So does anyone know what the officer abilitiesBattle Traits in Ambition Mode's Subjugation maps do? It's getting a little old when I have like 12 officers getting their rear end kicked by a couple Mobile Unit Commanders because I'm not there to babysit them.

It's funny when you get Officers leaving en mass sometimes, I've had 6 guys leave in a row and it was only generic Unit Commanders attacking them as well, I even had Lu Bu (as a bodyguard) run from battle once.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Helion posted:

There's slowdown but it doesn't ruin the game. Compared to DW7 it has more crazy weapons and characters, and there's Ambition Mode instead of Conquest Mode. People seem 50/50 on which they think is better. Ambition Mode can get grindy, but you can also make the best weapons and pay to level people up after you get to a certain point in it so it's worth it. It's also much easier to grind out on the Vita because you can just set it down for awhile, or blow through a few battles while watching something, etc. The only real downside is the Vita can't show as many people on screen as the Ps3/PS4 versions so your K.O count won't be as high. There'll be times where you activate Rage and clear out the screen in two seconds and are stuck looking for more guys.

If you want more info about the Vita version check the thread before the Steam DW8XL came out. Page 110 or so maybe? A few of us were posting about it. Hit the ? to see my posts in this thread, then go to the pages they appear on for more Vita talk.

EDIT

Expanded a little bit

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 14, 2014

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
In regards to DWGR, here's how to get good real fast:

1)Find someone with Instant Hero skill early on
2)Max instant Hero
3)Get a weak mobile suit (only one charge attack) with a decent moveset (GM works wonders for this)
4)2500 kills
5)Fuse in any c/B-rank or higher plans into your new plans
6):sweep:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Truxton posted:

That and "Fire Attack." It's two words, but Wu sure does love their fire attacks.

The Art of War devotes a chapter to the efficacy of fire attacks after all. And yeah, it's the same Sun family.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
When I first read the Art of War I thought the fire attack chapter was really weird. After the battle of Chibi I can see why they took their fire attacks so seriously.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Does anyone know exactly how to get the golden cards in WO3 Hyper? I tried googling and the common response is "Get the character up to S-Rank proficiency" but the other night I played a stage with Cao Cao and Xu Zhu, getting both up to S-rank, and didn't get their gold cards.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Trollhawke posted:

In regards to DWGR, here's how to get good real fast:

1)Find someone with Instant Hero skill early on
2)Max instant Hero
3)Get a weak mobile suit (only one charge attack) with a decent moveset (GM works wonders for this)
4)2500 kills
5)Fuse in any c/B-rank or higher plans into your new plans
6):sweep:

DWGR is so easy I don't know why you'd waste your time being in a lovely mass produced mobile suit, even if it is effective.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Static Rook posted:

There's slowdown but it doesn't ruin the game. Compared to DW7 it has more crazy weapons and characters, and there's Ambition Mode instead of Conquest Mode. People seem 50/50 on which they think is better. Ambition Mode can get grindy, but you can also make the best weapons and pay to level people up after you get to a certain point in it so it's worth it. It's also much easier to grind out on the Vita because you can just set it down for awhile, or blow through a few battles while watching something, etc. The only real downside is the Vita can't show as many people on screen as the Ps3/PS4 versions so your K.O count won't be as high. There'll be times where you activate Rage and clear out the screen in two seconds and are stuck looking for more guys.

If you want more info about the Vita version check the thread before the Steam DW8XL came out. Page 110 or so maybe? A few of us were posting about it. Hit the ? to see my posts in this thread, then go to the pages they appear on for more Vita talk.

EDIT

Expanded a little bit

Thanks, I'll go check out that part of the thread!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They aren't ever going to fix the controller weirdness in DW8XLPC, are they? I'm considering writing it off as a loss and looking into the PS4 version when it becomes cheap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here's how you really get good at DWGR fast:

Pick Sochie or Emma (or another character with Pride of a Woman.)

Pick Gundam DX.

Hey, look at that, your burst Musou is the comically and hilariously overpowered rolling twin satellite cannon.

Get to level 30. Now your Charge Musou is too.

Get 10,000 kills, which should take like 20 seconds.

Congrads. You've now won the game.

Second and even easier choice:

Play the Gundam SEED Destiny story mode. unlock the Destroy Gundam mission. Finish the Destroy Gundam mission. Now you have Destroy Gundam. You've won the game. Play the mission a second time to trivially get an S-Rank plan for it since you can effortlessly get 5,000 kills per stage.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

So I did the awful Fan Castle Wu level on normal because I was tired of it (normal is such a cakewalk, the officers don't even withdraw and Shu never closes the gate to the floodgates!) but now I can only do 'stage select' instead of 'play all'. When I hit play all, it tells me it's going to erase my story data, but I can still go through and play each level one at a time in stage select? If I hit continue, I have to do Fan Castle on hard. What's the difference, exactly? Am I losing something if I beat the campaign by just doing stage select?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nope

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Go for it.

It just means that "Continue" campaign autosave is going to be replaced by the new one you're making by choosing Play All. You lose nothing unless you happened to be in the middle of a battle and had made an interim save, since the interrim save slot is the same as the campaign autosave.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Here's how you really get good at DWGR fast:

Pick Sochie or Emma (or another character with Pride of a Woman.)

Pick Gundam DX.

Hey, look at that, your burst Musou is the comically and hilariously overpowered rolling twin satellite cannon.

Get to level 30. Now your Charge Musou is too.

Get 10,000 kills, which should take like 20 seconds.

Congrads. You've now won the game.

Second and even easier choice:

Play the Gundam SEED Destiny story mode. unlock the Destroy Gundam mission. Finish the Destroy Gundam mission. Now you have Destroy Gundam. You've won the game. Play the mission a second time to trivially get an S-Rank plan for it since you can effortlessly get 5,000 kills per stage.

Seems like a really boring way to play that game but ok

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Infinity Gaia posted:

DWGR is so easy I don't know why you'd waste your time being in a lovely mass produced mobile suit, even if it is effective.

Because blowing up 10,000 dudes in an implausible pile of garbage like a GM or a GINN or something is amusing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

straight jerkers posted:

Seems like a really boring way to play that game but ok

More fun than using a GM, yes, since you at least have more varied movesets should you get bored of nuking the maps.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

More fun than using a GM, yes, since you at least have more varied movesets should you get bored of nuking the maps.

Yeah I dunno, I kind of like using a lot of different suits even if they all can't clear fields in one shot. Just beelining for the best suit you can and steamrolling through everything? Of course you thought it was boring.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So are bodyguard bonds in Ambition Mode generic, or are they by officer? I'd kind of like trying to play as someone besides Lu Bu for a change.

E: by which I mean, if I change the character I'm playing, will I have to start over with bonds?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

FredMSloniker posted:

So are bodyguard bonds in Ambition Mode generic, or are they by officer? I'd kind of like trying to play as someone besides Lu Bu for a change.

E: by which I mean, if I change the character I'm playing, will I have to start over with bonds?

I think it's only unique per gender. So all men get the same bonds and all women get the same bonds, but not each others.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PureRok posted:

I think it's only unique per gender. So all men get the same bonds and all women get the same bonds, but not each others.

This is correct. I maxed all the playable character bonds with Ma Chao, and now ever other male character has the same bonds. The female characters however have no bonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The game tracks bonds by gender because each character has one set of bonding quotes for each gender depending on whether the character you're currently playing is male or female.

True story, if for some inexplicable reason you start a new game of Ambition Mode, all of your bonds will still be saved. So you can immediately start earning gems and seeing bonding scenes right when you recruit someone if they already had relationship levels from your previous run.