Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Leonard Garcia is like Diego Sanchez, they have sloppy, wild fights, swing for the fences, haymakers, good chins, giving it everything they have, tons of heart, etc.

They are not technical or elite.

If you only want to watch the cream of the crop fight, they aren't for you. If you like watching rock-em sock-em robots, they are very entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Agent Tough Juice posted:

I wonder if he's able to pick things up directly in front of him in his everyday life or if he has to look at the floor and sort of angle his fist in a circular motion toward the object.

how many attempts does it take him to actually touch the object tho

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Leonard Garcia is like Diego Sanchez, they have sloppy, wild fights, swing for the fences, haymakers, good chins, giving it everything they have, tons of heart, etc.

If you only want to watch the cream of the crop fight, they aren't for you. If you like watching rock-em sock-em robots, they are very entertaining.

i want this fight more than life itself

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If after hearing the result in the Ross Pearson fight and thinking "we need more fighters like Diego Sanchez back in the UFC" thereby looking at Leonard Garcia as "entertaining" then fighting is not for you.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Lid posted:

If after hearing the result in the Ross Pearson fight and thinking "we need more fighters like Diego Sanchez back in the UFC" thereby looking at Leonard Garcia as "entertaining" then fighting is not for you.

clearly the answer is that we need diego to eat steak tartare w/ quail eggs and fight lenny g after he vomits enough to get down to featherweight

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

But to sock'em you kind of have to, get this, hit the other person once in a while

Like Leonard Garcia has heart for sure but he easily should've lost every WEC/UFC split decision that he won, which would put his real Zuffa record at a 6-10-1

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Diego Sanchez used to be a decent fighter. I can't recall when Leonard Garcia was one.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Shinya-AokiKamal-Shalorus-Roger-HuertaChristian-Holley-Official-for-One-FC-19-70497

holy poo poo roger huerta is still fighting

also askren

quote:

One FC 19 takes place Aug. 29 at Dubai World Trade Centre, marking the promotion’s first trip to the United Arab Emirates. The show will be topped by a welterweight title clash between former Bellator star Ben Askren and Japanese knockout artist Nobutatsu Suzuki.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've found Bad Boy's B league fights to be a mixed bag. His first one was real, real sad until his opponent gassed. His last few UFC fights showed he's just not on that level anymore which meant it was hard to have an exciting fight.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

His last fight was just sad :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAH8AJ5v7J8

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

yea the gif of that was my introduction to OneFC

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Huerta washed out of the UFC right around when I started paying attention to MMA so I don't know much about him. It looks like he had some legit wins, and even if you're can crushing pulling a 6-fight win streak in the UFC is pretty loving hard to do. What happened to him?

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 14, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

attackmole posted:

Huerta washed out of the UFC right around when I started paying attention to MMA so I don't know much about him. It looks like he had some legit wins, and if you're can crushing pulling a 6-fight win streak in the UFC is pretty loving hard to do. What happened to him?

At the time he wanted out. I think he had acting aspirations at the time? I just remember it was known he wasn't going to resign and he faced Gray Maynard on his way out maybe to make sure he lost.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Sports Illustrated cover went to his head.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Garcia's fighting style makes me irrationally angry. I loathe fat gently caress Roy Nelson for the same reason

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So have they found Brett Roger's body yet?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
roger huerta sincerely believed he was gonna be hollywood famous after his fight against clay guida and he stopped fighting + caring about fighting and it turns out that if you are sort of a marginal athlete its really hard to keep up if you just stop for awhile. particularly while the talent level is quickly increasing

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Opal posted:

Garcia's fighting style makes me irrationally angry. I loathe fat gently caress Roy Nelson for the same reason

I suppose I understand why people dislike Roy Nelson, but I don't understand how it could be for the same reason people hate Leonard Garcia.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
They're both embarrasingly sloppy and the antithesis to what I like in MMA. Roy Nelson has approximately one punch in his entire arsenal and Garcia has two, both of which are T-Rex hooks. People cheering and complimenting Garcia for being 'scrappy' when all he does is swing like a drunk middle-aged bar fighter makes me sigh in disappointment.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Opal posted:

They're both embarrasingly sloppy and the antithesis to what I like in MMA. Roy Nelson has approximately one punch in his entire arsenal and Garcia has two, both of which are T-Rex hooks. People cheering and complimenting Garcia for being 'scrappy' when all he does is swing like a drunk middle-aged bar fighter makes me sigh in disappointment.

I'd rather have a guy that slangs and bangs than see a "technical fighter" like Machida fart around with Phil Davis or Hendo for an extended period of time

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yuriy posted:

I'd rather have a guy that slangs and bangs than see a "technical fighter" like Machida fart around with Phil Davis or Hendo for an extended period of time

The difference is Machida successfully hits his opponent with many of the punches he throws, whereas Leonard Garcia does not.

Nelson connects often enough, too, but this is due to how awful heavyweight is and not indicative of any level of skill. This leads to him being in unexciting fights where someone who is actually a much better fighter easily outpoints him while he makes exhausted pouty faces.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Opal posted:

Nelson's ugly punches land and win fights. He also sets them up with footwork.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Welcome to PSP! We like to have fun here but we also tackle serious questions in pages long debates.

Questions like:
-Is Leonard Garcia a good fighter? (Status: PENDING)
-Which fighters are hot? Fellas, we don't discriminate! (Status: ANSWERED. Machida w/ Beard)
-Is Wanderlei smarter than a flightless parrot? (Status: ANSWERED. A bird pecks at the fence in the blue corner, the song Sandstorm echoing throughout the arena. The red corner remains empty)

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Welcome to PSP! We like to have fun here but we also tackle serious questions in pages long debates.

Questions like:
-Which fighters are hot? Fellas, we don't discriminate! (Status: ANSWERED. Machida w/ Beard)
-Is Wanderlei smarter than a flightless parrot? (Status: ANSWERED. A bird pecks at the fence in the blue corner, the song Sandstorm echoing throughout the arena. The red corner remains empty)

yes, chael, no

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Questions like:

All of these are still more interesting topics than the logistics of establishing an MMA Hall of Fame with lovely-enough eligibility standards to induct Fedor.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Fedor definitely deserves to be in the MMA HoF, if it were to exist

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Fedor definitely deserves to be in the MMA HoF, if it were to exist

He'll be featured in the H-Bomb Knockouts section

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Questions like:

Everyone, this is your daily reminder that PSPMMA is the best place to discuss MMA on the internet.

It seriously is.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
At least we aren't having 5 page discussions about Jon Fitch anymore.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I thought we were suggesting to put Fitch on top of Wandy earlier? :confused:

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Everyone, this is your daily reminder that PSPMMA is the best place to discuss MMA on the internet.

It seriously is.

Yeah. I actually agree.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I was looking for Dunc's post on Fitch talk that was in the SAS wiki... is the SAS wiki still a thing?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Fozzy The Bear posted:

you're right, PSP has been slacking

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

I thought we were suggesting to put Fitch on top of Wandy earlier? :confused:

lol

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It's coming.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Jon Fitch was a really great wrestler.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

I disagree.

Discuss.

Actually I'm the guy whose whole world was rocked during the last WSOF event when I found out he had a terrible wrestling record in college, so I'm prepared to believe anything.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Jon Fitch looked good in the Hallman fight but I'm still disappointed he wasn't able to get the finish even at a heavier catchweight against a man with a lot of miles on him.

Andrei Arlovski looked bad in WSOF and still got a UFC contract and what do you know his UFC return fight was trash too. All I'm saying is bring back Fitch.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

attackmole posted:

Huerta washed out of the UFC right around when I started paying attention to MMA so I don't know much about him. It looks like he had some legit wins, and even if you're can crushing pulling a 6-fight win streak in the UFC is pretty loving hard to do. What happened to him?
Even without the benefit of hindsight I think a lot of people felt his record was inflated at the time. I remember in the earlier editions of this thread a lot of us thought it was funny that he was still getting fights with debuting guys like Doug Evans and Alberto Crane while the UFC was hyping him as a title contender. The fight with Guida was legitimately great, but even then he lost the first two rounds pretty decisively, including almost getting TKO'd in the second. I don't really buy that he lost to Florian and Maynard because he was more focused on a movie career or something, I don't think he would have had much to offer those guys under any circumstances. He had a pretty well rounded skillset and was incredibly tough, but I don't think he really excelled in any one area.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Yeah people definitely accused him of being protected all the time. Then he did the third round of the guida fight and it washed all of that away. Fast forward to today.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Huerta used the jumbotron to elbow an opponent with back control in the head. He's cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

He had a losing record in college.