Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Here's another excellent objection to gene therapy- it doesn't loving work. There's only been one gene therapy med approved in the EU, and it's not intended to "cure" a disease, it's an ongoing treatment that compensates for it. It probably won't be effective. Gene therapy is massively overhyped- it's extremely expensive, the treatment doesn't stick, and people in clinical trials have a remarkable knack for developing terminal cancer instead of curing their conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
would this be a good thread to chat about music? what sort of music do you fine people listen to?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I listen to the Psychill station on Digitally Imported. For me it's good chillaxin' music.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Swan Oat posted:

would this be a good thread to chat about music? what sort of music do you fine people listen to?

C-SPAN 3 exclusively. I've got a great surround sound setup for it.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's another excellent objection to gene therapy- it doesn't loving work. There's only been one gene therapy med approved in the EU, and it's not intended to "cure" a disease, it's an ongoing treatment that compensates for it. It probably won't be effective. Gene therapy is massively overhyped- it's extremely expensive, the treatment doesn't stick, and people in clinical trials have a remarkable knack for developing terminal cancer instead of curing their conditions.

Gene therapy doesn't work now, but the technology is in it's infancy, so it is more of a future concern than anything, but it will be here before we know it. Best to get out in front of it before it arrives with sensible regulation.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

It's all hypothetical, man. None of us are saying SCOTUS should declare mandatory gene therapy tomorrow. This is the chill thread, grab a beer and relax :cheers:

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
i pray every day that someday scientists will find the gene that makes me post and delete it from my sequence

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

like seriously if this is wrong i don't want to be right

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

razorrozar posted:

It's all hypothetical, man. None of us are saying SCOTUS should declare mandatory gene therapy tomorrow. This is the chill thread, grab a beer and relax :cheers:
I don't drink. :colbert:

Guy Montag posted:

Gene therapy doesn't work now, but the technology is in it's infancy, so it is more of a future concern than anything, but it will be here before we know it. Best to get out in front of it before it arrives with sensible regulation.

To the extent that gene therapy is viable it would not require different regulatory structures than other medications. Any specific ethics issues involved with gene therapy would be regulated at the professional practices level, not at the products level. That said, I'd be much happier if NIH stopped funding research in the area. Gene therapy made sense as an avenue of treatment 20 years ago, when we knew a lot less about epigenetics. Development expenditures in the area nowadays look an awful lot like throwing bad money after good, in the millions of dollars range.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 14, 2014

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Swan Oat posted:

Elliott Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel, Eels, Nick Drake, and Mountain Goats in a room as cool and dark as I can make it with bourbon on the rocks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Was on a psychedelic/prog-rock binge recently. Traffic is kind of awesome, and Yes is what Genesis would sound like if it were actually good. Also Procol Harum have their moments. After listening to ELP and King Crimson for a bit they kind of wore me down. Any recommendations?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't drink. :colbert:

Soda then. Same principle, we're all cool in here.

My favorite soda is Mountain Dew because I'm a mental 12 year old and no one has been told they shouldn't be selling me food. :hurr:

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

quote:

To the extent that gene therapy is viable it would not require different regulatory structures than other medications. Issues involved with gene therapy would be regulated at the professional practices level, not at the products level.

Not necessarily, that would depend on agencies like FDA deciding that genetically selecting for intelligence or race or sexual orientation or eye color are not okey dokey, which you can bet your rear end they would approve without considering the broader implications (and to be fair those broader implications probably fall outside their mandate). Regulation will be necessary to prevent a genetic bifurcation along class lines or worse.

quote:

Music?

For contemporary funk awesomeness, check out Lettuce, Soulive, and Dumpstaphunk.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
:banjo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9Qxb6-vO4
:banjo:

Love that banjo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Guy Montag posted:

Not necessarily, that would depend on agencies like FDA deciding that genetically selecting for intelligence or race or sexual orientation or eye color are not okey dokey, which you can bet your rear end they would approve without considering the broader implications (and to be fair those broader implications probably fall outside their mandate). Regulation will be necessary to prevent a genetic bifurcation along class lines or worse.

Gene therapy doesn't do those things- the mechanism doesn't let it do those things. You're talking about embryonic selection, which is something that already happens and is not under the FDA's purview.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

this is wonderful thank you, i love banjo music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSObRNcPAv8 here have a banjo and violin cover of a pro-unionization for coal miners song, panopticon is good

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_TqxrZpkQU here is the original of that song, a capella from the early 20th century. pretty awesome]

and if you you like :black101: poo poo here is panopticon music about the haymarket martyrs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wYrAwZ4MUQ love that metal

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 14, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Someone in another thread brought up the 4 day school week as a possibility for Texas due to education cuts a few days back. Basically school districts can't afford to run classes 5 days a week, so to make up for the reduced budget they would just eliminate a day.

That idea stuck with me, it seemed too ridiculous to be a real thing.

But after a little Google work. I am filled with despair as I saw multiple places trying to justify it as way to actually help kids. This is going to become a thing everywhere, isn't it? :sigh:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Keep GMO children out of our schools!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQaSMjM86Ts

twenty years old now, still good

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dirt posted:

Someone in another thread brought up the 4 day school week as a possibility for Texas due to education cuts a few days back. Basically school districts can't afford to run classes 5 days a week, so to make up for the reduced budget they would just eliminate a day.

But after a little Google work. I am filled with despair as I saw multiple places trying to justify it as way to actually help kids. This is going to become a thing everywhere, isn't it? :sigh:

I've heard this pitched many times and it's only just occurred to me that it's literally stealing education from kids to pay for something else

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

e:

razorrozar posted:

I've heard this pitched many times and it's only just occurred to me that it's literally stealing education from kids to pay for something else

Add in stealing from poor people, healthcare, infrasturcture, general welfare, then this describes basically every conservative policy. Steal from the poor/public and give to the rich/privileged.

Discendo Vox posted:

Gene therapy doesn't do those things- the mechanism doesn't let it do those things. You're talking about embryonic selection, which is something that already happens and is not under the FDA's purview.

Yeah I was conflating two different (although related) things. Still goes to my point that there needs to be some kind of guidance/oversight going forward. I mean I'm all for screening for Tay-Sachs or whatever, but eugenics bullshit requires some forethought before it goes too far.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm not sure how other states are doing it now, but I went my whole K-12 education with that nearly three-month summer vacation. I was a nerdy kid, so I spent most of it reading library books anyway. If a state went four days a week keeping the same hours, that'd be 45 weeks (7 weeks off) to get to 180 days.

Four weeks off in the summer, one week off split over Thanksgiving and Easter, two weeks for Christmas/New Year.

Of course since it's Texas I'm sure they'll just tack on extra time to every instructional day so the kids still get the same amount of days off and the teachers get ground into dust that much quicker working 11-hour days in the school plus whatever time they spend grading papers/tests/etc and miserable old jerk residents will complain that they're paying property taxes for schools they don't use and teachers get three months off every year, and all the other bullshit talking points.

(My mother is a retired public school teacher of over 30 years and I spent a lot of my childhood watching her work evenings at home and mornings in the school before any other kids arrived, so public education is a big button issue for me.)

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Swan Oat posted:

There was a thread in either NMD or PYF, now somewhere in the archives, that was about people's guilty pleasures in music. It had the most random stuff in it, a lot of which was pretty cool, and I wish it were still around because I could listen to it all day.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dirt posted:

If kids could vote on this it would have the largest majority ever.

Seriously though it's awful that education is repeatedly gutted in favor of other things. Especially when (iirc, this may not apply specifically to Texas) the south is already dragging behind the north by a fairly large margin wrt education.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elysiume posted:

If kids could vote on this it would have the largest majority ever.

Seriously though it's awful that education is repeatedly gutted in favor of other things. Especially when (iirc, this may not apply specifically to Texas) the south is already dragging behind the north by a fairly large margin wrt education.

I live in South Carolina. Every year I was in school we were ranked 49th nationwide in education.

I think Florida was 50th.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Whatever state you happen to live in that's trying to crush public education, Florida is years ahead of you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Swan Oat posted:

I love Leonard Cohen like the father I never had, and I've also been listening to a lot of new-wave klezmer.

I know posting random images isn't the done thing in DnD, but I was charmed by this frog and wanted to share it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

This would gently caress working parents so hard.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

This would gently caress working parents so hard.

Something tells me people advocating cutting public education to the point that schools have to reduce hours to that point don't care about working parents at all.

In other news, I am working night shift for the first time in years(6PM to 6:30AM), and I am loving it. The pace of my day is so much more relaxed, it's awesome.

But wow, this place really slows down at night.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

skaboomizzy posted:

Since you're the guy to ask about this, here's their dinner menu. Everything looks good to my untrained eye, but what do you think? Panang Mole seems like it would just be incredible if it's done right.
Fusion can go great, but so often goes completely wrong. You'll just have to see if it hits your palate right.

Things like penang and masamun are easy to recreate in the US as they're essentially Thai adaptations of Indian/Burmese/Muslim curries and rely heavily on readily available stuff like peanuts and anise and so on. For that reason they're also more familiar for our palates and can be adapted more easily.

The Phad Thai Curry (otherwise never order phad thai as a rule) could be good, though why use phad thai noodles? They're meh. We have an amazing chef here who runs a streetside shophouse restaurant in his full 5 star chef outfit and makes the only amazing Thai fusion I've had to date. One of his signature dishes is fettuccine penang and it rocks.

I agree, the Penang Mole has the most potential to be interesting.

Ask her if she can do Spaghetii variations of curries, those are popular here and not so bad. Basically, you just stir fry the spaghetti with a curry or with ga pow or whatever for a second at the last step and serve it. Works out surprisingly well - spaghetti phad kee mao gai (drunken chicken) can be great as can spaghetti gaeng keaw wan (green curry).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's a little past the food chat, but the most working-class American meal is free saltines. There are thousands of people who will work today, 7/14/2014, all throughout the USA who will sustain themselves and keep working on free saltines they've snagged. This is no exaggeration.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Music-wise I'm willing to try anything; but I've almost always really liked aggressive electronica with no vocals in it. It's hard to explain why I like it... I suppose becasue it doesn't involve a story with lyrics, but feels angry?

Ross Ross Ross by Sebastian and Apex Beat from Transistor

Thanks for the banjo stuff, tho. Always liked a good strumming on those things

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The four day school week thing won't actually happen. It would kill the GOPs only success story dead.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Are we still doing Soda Chat? Because I bought a bottle of tamarindo soda that tastes pretty great.

Also, yeah texas education's messed up right now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Let us open our hymnals to Gingrich 38000:1200 wherein the leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces extols the virtues of having our children work as laborers at school. The fifth day would leave time for that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

And on the fifth day, they earned their keep?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cercadelmar posted:

Are we still doing Soda Chat? Because I bought a bottle of tamarindo soda that tastes pretty great.

Never been a fan of tamarind drinks myself.

Gotta be better than tar though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrUvVw5iRE

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

Was listening to Surf by Roddy Frame earlier. I don't like Aztec Camera, the band that he fronted, but the album's just him with an acoustic guitar singing a few mellow songs, and it's actually pretty good. Here's the first track from it. http://youtu.be/ruOvJQ7qV9Y

Other than that, I've been listening to a load of psychedelic rock and The Cure.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Bombay Pizza Co. right? The Slumdog is my jam over there.

See that's how you do this stuff right. It's great, it has a unique sauce, on unique bread (not sure if it's naan proper or what), with a blend of toppings that reflects the chef's home, but it's still pizza, when I look at it and eat it I still go 'gently caress this pizza rules'.

I know, I know, pages and pages back, but when I visited Houston two years ago, Bombay Pizza Co. was the second place my friends loving insisted we had to visit so I could try the food. For good bloody reason, as it turns out. Seriously, my country need more immigrants so we can enjoy equally delicious, delicious, mad food science. :norway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

And on the fifth day, they earned their keep?

Yeah dude it's perfect for parents who can't afford a sitter.

• Locked thread