Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They should replace the toolset with turtle graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

New smooth tool this patch. Haven't logged in to try it cause I'm so god damned bored with this game at this point.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, they opened it up to the public way too soon IMO. Unless you enjoy building there's nothing to keep you interested. A limited version of caves will be in on Monday I guess, but combat won't be in until July.

So far I've enjoyed building and learning all the convoluted voxel tricks, but I agree that simple things like the basic shape blocks still being deformed are unbelievably dumb. That SOE also deliberately decided not to give players the ability to easily make spheres / circles of any size and that it's only possible now because of a glitch discovered by a player really makes me question their competence.

I was looking forward to the Workshop, but ATM that seems a lot like the Landmarks of Landmark competition in the sense that SOE seems to be just making poo poo up as they go along.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Just got in the closed beta. Is the OP still correct in that goons are on Serenity/Pingo?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

No, just grab a good spot wherever. As far as I know most goons are waiting for the game to actually like do something.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Yeah, I got bored/discouraged with building when I see people make really awesome stuff, and mine was never going to be as good.

Also, because I have, like, a job and things to do, I don't get on frequently enough to keep a claim.

I'm pretty much waiting for them to introduce combat and stuff to kill at this point.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Going to check out the caves today. I know it's just going to be another tech demo-ish thing right now but hey at least they're cranking along with updates.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Knight2m posted:

Yeah, I got bored/discouraged with building when I see people make really awesome stuff, and mine was never going to be as good.

It's natural to get discouraged when some of the basic building tools don't work and the community runs away with what are basically bugs in the engine. "It's on youtube" is being used as an excuse not to write any proper documentation, much less make any attempt to logically and seamlessly integrate these de facto design aspects into the tools properly.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

im actually done with this game. ill wait for blizzards version of this. soe is soe even in this game.

ps twitch is god awful

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm honestly just waiting for EQN. I kind of regret pre-ordering Landmark but /shrug

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Turning basic props that the game really needs (like a simple castle gate) into a rare item that you only have a chance of getting by watching Twitch for hours is really dumb. I also don't see how getting a gate would convince new people to pick this game up either.

I think that the actual reason behind this is that even during EU primetime there are less people watching Landmark on Twitch than Euro Truck Simulator 2 or APB Reloaded, their Twitch channel is a ghost town like the game itself. Maybe SOE is hoping that by getting more of its existing playerbase watching Twitch that Landmark will become more visible there and attract new blood.

Watching someone build or gather resources is seriously boring though. I tried watching a stream but turned it off with a LOL when the streamer described Landmark as Minecraft on steroids, IMO Landmark is currently more like Minecraft on synthol.

Caves were the biggest update in ages and they're just repetitive prefabricated parts copy pasted together, just like every other MMO with lovely copy pasted dungeons caves.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 17, 2014

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Hey guys come watch unemployed 40 yr olds sort of play a game on twitch!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Sancho posted:

Hey guys come watch unemployed 40 yr olds sort of play a game on twitch!

I have tried to stream it, and I kind of felt bad for anyone watching me dig holes and climb out of them for 2 hours.

The game is fun, but after I forgot about my claim and it got sucked up, I am done for a little while.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Despite its poor progress, I spend about 10-15 minutes a week mining enough copper to keep most of my plots where they are.

Except not anymore. Either they changed cave entrances or added more without mentioning it, because now my main plot was a little too close to a new cave entrance.

Oh and also the game got even more choppy and crash prone with the last couple patches.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
This was fun for a few hours because I think the dynamic terrain changes are cool with mining. That they aren't permanent isn't ideal imo. I think building would be more fun if it were a little more like lego and a little less like spastic play-do. I'm not big on the sculpting thing and there's not much point to getting better gear as far as I can tell so I'm done. Will be cool to see if they have this same system in EQ:N.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I have SOE Station Cash. Can i use this to (partially) pay for a founders pack or does it have to be paid off by CC or something?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Biowarfare posted:

I have SOE Station Cash. Can i use this to (partially) pay for a founders pack or does it have to be paid off by CC or something?

Can't use any Station Cash. Only by CC.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I logged in for about fifteen minutes a couple months ago and dug a hole. I feel like I accomplished most of what Landmark has to offer.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
Just received an invite to the alpha. I guess it's only a 7 day invitation?

Any expectations or suggestions for a new player / person entering?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Expect to dig some holes then get bored and quit.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
If I could build traps/ interactive secret passages or create slippery surfaces I would probably still be playing. The scripting for triggers was once mentioned way back but hasn't been on event roadmaps. I am bored with static sandcastle architecture.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I don't know(since I haven't played Landmark) but in EQN a lot of "secret passages" are just going to have an odd little doodad or something. Something that doesn't stand out, but if you're looking for it you'll see it. You don't interact with the doodad, you smash the wall and it crumbles away revealing a passage. You can technically do that in Landmark now from what I understand, but since there's no mechanics for wandering around busting poo poo up it doesn't really work.

Also from what I understand Landmark is a shell of what it's going to be so seeing people getting burned out is pretty depressing. I wholely recognize it's bland and boring and empty right now but if it's that bad they've got a long way to go before it's to the point that got me excited for it.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
What's even known about EQN, anyway? It feels like ages ago when information started showing up and it had an okay art style and terrain deformation and that was about it.

Since then there's been almost zero information on classes, gameplay style, whether its sandbox or themepark, etc. It's been at least a couple years now. Aside from Hole Digging Simulator 2014, is there even a game at all?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nope, they got all us suckers to pay for Landmark and they are gonna take their money and run.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

RCarr posted:

Nope, they got all us suckers to pay for Landmark and they are gonna take their money and run.

I cannot believe a game developer would ever do this.

hosed up if true.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mung Dynasty posted:

hosed up if true.

Yes, Sony is actually going to take your money and run.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mung Dynasty posted:

hosed up if true.

They are focusing on H1Z1 right now and sharing some of that tech with Planetside 2 / EQN, since they all use the same engine.

I would suspect that development effort on EQN will pick up later this year or early next year.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There will be new info about EQN at SOE Live next month. They'll probably try to rebuild some hype since they also postponed major updates to Landmark until then. EQN has been in development for some years but they scrapped it all at least once. I doubt much more of EQN exists in a playable state than what you can see in Landmark ATM. What they showed at SOE Live last year just gave the impression it was further along.

I'm sure they have lots of plans and they might have some of the world generated and some models animated, because there's a screenshot of Firiona Vie standing in Lavastorm located in Landmark's files (Lavastorm_Colorkey_Builder.PSD in Resources/Sky). But from comments from Landmark devs it's obvious they haven't started on things like buildings and cities to populate the world.

I don't think H1Z1 is really important to EQN's development, because H1Z1 doesn't use the VoxelFarm engine or Storybricks. According to Steve Klug (head tech dude) the hardest part of Landmark and EQN is actually integrating ForgeLight with the VoxelFarm engine and Storybricks. Both of which aren't being developed by SOE itself and will be responsible for stuff like the generation and destruction of terrain, how fluids function, how voxels are drawn and how all of the fancy AI is supposed to work.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

EQN is going to let you kill 10 mobs, or collect 10 items in a whole new next-gen way. Takes time to develop that poo poo mang.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So I got into the Landmark Beta. Should I just be building dicks everywhere, that seems to be what the game is about.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think what I really want at this point is stability and a consistent framerate. No point in romping around your enchanted piss forest if your drivers crash every 10 minutes.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Boogaleeboo posted:

So I got into the Landmark Beta. Should I just be building dicks everywhere, that seems to be what the game is about.
Landmark: Return to Penislandia

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
I bought the Alpha a while back. Do I have any benefits from that now, and will I have to buy the game again at some point?

edit: I think I got the Explorer's Pack.

edit: Apparently I have closed beta access. Downloading now.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 12, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Phosphia posted:

I bought the Alpha a while back. Do I have any benefits from that now, and will I have to buy the game again at some point?

edit: I think I got the Explorer's Pack.

edit: Apparently I have closed beta access. Downloading now.

Game is going to be F2P so you'll never have to buy it again, as there is nothing to buy.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So I had that week of closed beta access. This is essentially Minecraft in the EverQuest Next engine with a veiled attempt to get free art/art direction via crowd-sourcing and an open build world before release.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

dialhforhero posted:

So I had that week of closed beta access. This is essentially Minecraft in the EverQuest Next engine with a veiled attempt to get free art/art direction via crowd-sourcing and an open build world before release.

They are actually open about that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

No poo poo Sherlock.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
What I don't get is, EQN is gonna be a fantasy game right? With fantasy graphics and fantasy castles and poo poo?

So why are people making space ships and stuff when there's no chance they're ever going to be used in the game?

Is anything people are making going to be used in the 'real game'?

I'm very confused. But I am enjoying mining for things!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Cause this isn't eqn.

Also cause building high fantasy norrath stuff is so dumb, they have to pull teeth to get players to go along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Oh, so this is just a closed beta where you get to test the tools they're using to make another game?

Also sometimes if they like something you made it might get used in the other game?

What?

• Locked thread