Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh boy that episode of masters of sex where bill is holding his dead fetus blarghhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So I started watching Witches of East End on Netflix, unaware that it is a Lifetime Original Series. And it did sort of start out as trite nonsense, just like most other Lifetime shows. But as it goes on it starts having fun with its premise and gets enjoyable. Also the cast is pretty good, aside from Julia Ormond's weird accent. And it gets good guest stars, like Matt Frewer, Joel Gretsch, and TVIV's one true love, Enver Gjokaj. Not a great show by any means, but a fun little genre show that is better than it has any right to be.

But then I got to the end of the Season 2 premiere, which aired last Sunday, and a tentacle sex scene happened. :gonk:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

So I started watching Witches of East End on Netflix, unaware that it is a Lifetime Original Series. And it did sort of start out as trite nonsense, just like most other Lifetime shows. But as it goes on it starts having fun with its premise and gets enjoyable. Also the cast is pretty good, aside from Julia Ormond's weird accent. And it gets good guest stars, like Matt Frewer, Joel Gretsch, and TVIV's one true love, Enver Gjokaj. Not a great show by any means, but a fun little genre show that is better than it has any right to be.

But then I got to the end of the Season 2 premiere, which aired last Sunday, and a tentacle sex scene happened. :gonk:

Anime is for jerks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, just looked up the time for The Strain tonight and FX is doing that thing where its almost two hours long. I have to work early so I guess I'm just going to have to record it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

hcreight posted:

Funny, I just started watching that too, and I totally agree. After several characters said "poo poo!" and it was just generally better than a typical genre CW show, I had to google what channel was showing it and I was pretty surprised. Too bad about tentacle poo poo.

I also just watched all of Mixology, which I missed before it was canceled last year. It was an ok show, the gimmick of the entire season being one night at the bar was generally fine but it didn't really do the show any favors to constrain itself like that. It was especially annoying to binge watch because 1) the last scene of every episode (not the tag, but the minute before that) replays verbatim at the beginning of the next episode, and 2) it makes all the characters seem like wishy washy assholes because they keep making big decisions to land an episode's plot and then renege on that decision 1 or 2 episodes later to make an excuse for another episode's story. It made several of the season's story arcs very unsatisfying. Also the whole narration/flashback structure of the episodes felt like they were trying to mimic Arrested Development's tone, but they didn't really use it for any good effect so it just ended up reminding me that there's a much better show I could be binge-watching on Netflix. Edit: Oh and all the "back from commercial" shots of people mixing drinks looked exactly like liquor commercials which cannot have helped people pay attention to it when it was on TV.

Now I am watching United States of Tara, which is another show that's loving annoying to binge watch because there's a super long "previously on" and a super long credits intro on every single episode. And the "previously on" can't even be bothered to be the same length every time, so I can't just skip 2 minutes in, I've got to fish around for the exact start of the episode. Despite that I'm invested.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for network summer TV? I just now found out that NBC is rebroadcasting a show that Amy Pohler's brother made for a Swedish TV station.

It's not terrible, actually.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 14, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just watched last weeks episode of Wilfred. poo poo, this show has gotten even more weird.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Strain is pretty good so far.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The overworking dad and douche new boyfriend is a little played out, but I'm liking it as well.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

The overworking dad and douche new boyfriend is a little played out, but I'm liking it as well.

Yeah, seems like a cheap way to give your main character "depth", but so far it hasn't been offensive or gotten in the way.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well, The Strain just grew some teeth. From 0 to 11 on the violence scale.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

That was pretty great. Awesome payoff to a slow building episode. I think I'm sold on it.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Agreed. They aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and that creature design (especially when it ran away) is pretty cool!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Yes, someone should make a thread for it. I'm interested.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, bonus episode.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Samwise, no!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, this is great in a cheesy horror movie way. Del Torro can definitely spin out a genre story.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Really glad to see The Strain pilot is decent. Look forward to watching it later tonight.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Weevil definitely got way chubbier than his Veronica Mars days in the Strain.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

The Strain is pretty good so far.
Yeah it kept me hooked all throughout the episode. I'm even watching the rerun without giving it a second thought.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The Leftovers was spectacular tonight and head and shoulders better than the first two episodes.

Still not crazy about the thread though!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Party Plane Jones posted:

Weevil definitely got way chubbier than his Veronica Mars days in the Strain.

Francis Capra never quite recovered from his leg injury. You can see him gain weight in season 3 of Veronica Mars and he never really got rid of it any more.

Tim Curry does mostly voice acting nowadays to answer the question from the last page. Emperor Chancellor Palpatine in the last season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars after Ian Abercrombie sadly passed away for example.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tim Curry also had a massive stroke a few months ago.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

John Malkovich as Blackbeard was the only thing that made people aware of the existence of Crossbones, so NBC is continuing that tradition by casting Christopher Walken to play Captain Hook for their Peter Pan telecast..

Walken must be relieved the clock ends up inside somebody else this time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watching The Strain, the pilot has me in for the show, but why did the writers have to include that scene where Shane from TWD completely ignores Walder Frey? So stupid.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 14, 2014

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
A heartfelt 'welcome back' to Ray Donovan. Hell of a first episode tonight.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

hcreight posted:

The Leftovers was spectacular tonight and head and shoulders better than the first two episodes.

The thread is a pile of poo poo. I thought this week's episode was great though.

Guess the crazies in the True Detective thread have to find a new place to call home, I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dead Snoopy posted:

A heartfelt 'welcome back' to Ray Donovan. Hell of a first episode tonight.

does it really begin with him midway through raping his wife

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Well - very start of the show awakens visibly shaken from an anxiety dream and proceeds to 'regain control' by having sex w/ his wife, who awakens upset and disturbed but doesn't audibly object. Not a defense but a summation of the beginning. The couple are in therapy and clearly this is a good reason to be in therapy, but it isn't addressed right away.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently in the second episode they make it more clear that it most definitely was a rape. Anyway either way this show just sounds really nasty, and I guess I can count myself as one of the "sick of white male antihero" types.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

hcreight posted:

That was a really good episode. I think it could be this series' Walkabout, where it shows just how good this show could be. Hopefully they keep it up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bown posted:

Apparently in the second episode they make it more clear that it most definitely was a rape. Anyway either way this show just sounds really nasty, and I guess I can count myself as one of the "sick of white male antihero" types.
I kind of wonder if Liev Schriber can play anyone else?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Data and Moe being in season 2 of Ray Donovan is good times.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Is there a thread around for the new season of Wilfred that I've missed? poo poo's getting weird(er). :tinfoil:

Also a brief reference to the original Australian series in the latest episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

I kind of wonder if Liev Schriber can play anyone else?

Sometimes he's just a villain!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Decius posted:

Tim Curry does mostly voice acting nowadays to answer the question from the last page. Emperor Chancellor Palpatine in the last season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars after Ian Abercrombie sadly passed away for example.

Oh drat, is that why he took over on The Clone Wars? I was wondering why they'd do that, when the voice of Palpatine before that was rock solid, and then suddenly he just...sounded like Tim Curry. But that makes sense, I didn't know the original voice actor had died.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

Is there a thread around for the new season of Wilfred that I've missed? poo poo's getting weird(er). :tinfoil:

Also a brief reference to the original Australian series in the latest episode.

No thread, but I like this season quite a lot so far. It's way better than the last one. And knowing this is the final season probably helps cause it means all this cult poo poo might actually be going somewhere.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VodeAndreas posted:

I never thought they'd take it this far, but in retrospect, I suppose it was inevitable. Ryan is batshit crazy, and you can't cure schizophrenia by having charming adventures with the neighbor's dog.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The neighbor who doesn't even give a poo poo about the dog and had to gently caress off back to Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny, the thing that initially sold me on Wilfred was the fact that it didn't try to explain anything and the thing with his attempted suicide letting him see Wilfred was just a red herring. But now I love how batshit they're going with wrapping everything up in the final season.

Also, holy poo poo Rutger Hauer was in the last episode of Wilfred. That's the best guest star I've seen since Jeremy Renner was in that Louie two-parter.

• Locked thread