Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Yeah, I distinctly remember Comte writing a long, in-character diatribe critiquing the railroad tracks they'd been on since the beginning of the game and their existential drought at being completely unable to solve problems except in the way some invisible master hand allowed.

If someone could find that it would make my weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Here's your weekend.

This page is pipe chat: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1107002&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

"Bis-millah hir-Rahman nir-Rahim"

Emerging from a prayer, Mahbod states what the others probably already expected. "The shuttle will not be there, or if it is, it will be inoperable. I am nearly certain of it. This entity that was described, it seems to control our actions by limiting our choices, and removing the shuttle would fit within that pattern. Do you not feel as though some Jinn is at work here? Directing our every move, limiting the range of our Allah given freedom to choose one path for another. I feel as though we are being herded down this one path like a flock of sheep, with no real ability to leave or choose for ourself. The fact that we have yet to see the sheepdogs seems the only fourtune in this series of events.

"Whatever shepard guides us here, I do not doubt that its intentions are evil. I mentioned the Jinn before, I think the analogy is more than apt. Doors tht open with a radioactive 'opean sesame.' Voices that command,'Start the reactor Ali Baba, and three wishes shall be yours.' I have no doubt that somewhere within this abandoned palace we shall find a prince encased within his own throne.

"As a religious authority and governemnt advisor, it is my duty, before my Allah and before the Blessed State of Iran, to offer counsel and perspective. But what council can I give, regarding our actions, when our actions have been so strictly limited by forces acting unseen and unknown? All I can offer, it seems, is that we should resist the mechanations of whatever forces are at work here, for they are clearly acting to strip us of our ability to choose the righteous path, forcing us down a pathof uncertinty, moral and scientific ambiguity. Were the forces righteous and good, they would trust us to take the rightly guided path on our own, and would not seek to force us to take these questionable actions in the service of an insivible entity.

"Ustughfi-rullaha Rabbee min kullay zumbin wa 'atubo illai-hay."

Things I noticed trawling archives: These jokes are a month shy of literally being a decade old, and I ran Hijinx twice for some reason.

Also every one of the dozens of Tairn's recruitment threads for the next couple years had pipemaker jokes. Looking at them was like following a trail of "no, this joke can't be this old, I can't have been around here this long."

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 13, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Swagger Dagger, you beautiful bastard, I read your post! You've gone and made me feel old and young again, at the same time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HELL YES

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Are there any good steampunk games, which focus on the downtrodden soot-stained underclass and the grinding oppression of a Victorian society, instead of Baron von Zeppelin and his Vitreous Trousers? I was thinking about trying something myself, but I'd be interested to know what's been done.

On a related note, has anyone done a (good) roll mechanic which assumes success?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulul posted:

Are there any good steampunk games, which focus on the downtrodden soot-stained underclass and the grinding oppression of a Victorian society, instead of Baron von Zeppelin and his Vitreous Trousers? I was thinking about trying something myself, but I'd be interested to know what's been done.

Kerberos Club (available in Wild Talents, Fate, and Savage Worlds flavors) spends a lot of time talking about what life was really like in Victorian England for all strata of society. Even if you don't like any of those systems, it's worth grabbing for the setting stuff.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tulul posted:

There's also Abney Park's Airship Pirates, mostly because you can't really have that pirate mystique if you're also currently one of the absurdly rich nobles that control Neovictorian society. The game's honestly more charming than it has any right being, so feel free to pick it up if you're willing to actually own an RPG based on a steampunk band.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, there's literally no benefit to engaging with Zak S. RPGnet mods bent over backwards to try and explain to the guy why his behavior was obnoxious and could he please knock it off and all he did was feign confusion and change nothing until he eventually (finally) he got banned. More courtesy was extended to him than any three shitposters combined and he still refused to acknowledge that maybe the problem lay with him.

All his requests were either for RPGnet to help him control the narrative (make an announcement that he never did anything wrong, delete his ban message, etc.) or naive as gently caress (play D&D with some banned loons) and he has no bargaining position that would make any of that feasible so I am just disengaging. :v:

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Tulul posted:

Okay, with what you have brought up, could I call dibs on next month's game design contest? I've had a killer theme for a year, but I haven't had the chance to post it and run it till now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Traditional Games > TGD Cog-ust Design Contest

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

Traditional Games > TGD Cog-ust Design Contest

August Personages of Steam, Brass, and Mahogany: a TG Design Contest

:monocle:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

TheSoundNinja posted:

Okay, with what you have brought up, could I call dibs on next month's game design contest? I've had a killer theme for a year, but I haven't had the chance to post it and run it till now.

With my limitless power over Tradgames, Something Awful, and the very fabric of roleplaying itself, I declare this okey-dokey.

(I actually don't think there are any rules about the contests? If you have a cool idea, you should do it.)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Kerberos Club (available in Wild Talents, Fate, and Savage Worlds flavors) spends a lot of time talking about what life was really like in Victorian England for all strata of society. Even if you don't like any of those systems, it's worth grabbing for the setting stuff.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

There's also Abney Park's Airship Pirates, mostly because you can't really have that pirate mystique if you're also currently one of the absurdly rich nobles that control Neovictorian society. The game's honestly more charming than it has any right being, so feel free to pick it up if you're willing to actually own an RPG based on a steampunk band.

Thanks, I'll check both of these out. Is there a version of Kerberos Club that's better than the others, or should I just grab my preferred system?

And man, I own plenty of terrible RPGs, an Abney Park RPG can't be any worse than, say, Scion.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The best part of the Abney park RPG is that the setting backstory is literally "Yeah, if you gave a bunch of Steampunk nuts a time machine they probably would accidentally turn the world into a neo-Victorian hellhole."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulul posted:

Thanks, I'll check both of these out. Is there a version of Kerberos Club that's better than the others, or should I just grab my preferred system?
The setting's the same across all three versions, just pick the system you like.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Evil Mastermind posted:

The setting's the same across all three versions, just pick the system you like.

Although the print in the FATE version is much smaller and harder to read. (Although I like the FATE rules better. I had a great deal of trouble building the power "I can read anything written down anywhere and also make writing appear anywhere I like" in ORE but it was easy in Strange FATE.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The FATE version of Kerberos Club actually has some wonky-bad rules implementation which has been discussed at length elsewhere (you can ask in the FATE thread for specifics), personally I'd just go with the ORE version.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't there a Fate Core version of Kerberos Club coming out soon?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Tulul posted:

With my limitless power over Tradgames, Something Awful, and the very fabric of roleplaying itself, I declare this okey-dokey.

(I actually don't think there are any rules about the contests? If you have a cool idea, you should do it)

Then the August contest will be perfect. I'll start working on an OP.

August TGD Contest: The Top Gun of TGD Contests

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chat-level question: has anyone played FFG's Dust minis game? I've had a special place in my heart for WWII mecha since Gear Kreig, and wanted to know if it's worth looking in to even as a read.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Is this really valuable? I found it at a local store and price checked, and both Amazon and eBay went apeshit. Did I just make a find? Because that would be cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CapnAndy posted:

Is this really valuable? I found it at a local store and price checked, and both Amazon and eBay went apeshit. Did I just make a find? Because that would be cool.

The pic isn't loading.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It appears to be an unopened booster for a game long out of print, so I'd assume it has some value. I don't know much about current prices, but imagine finding decade old unopened boosters for other card games. Someone will pay a lot for that thing.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Lord Frisk posted:

It appears to be an unopened booster for a game long out of print, so I'd assume it has some value. I don't know much about current prices, but imagine finding decade old unopened boosters for other card games. Someone will pay a lot for that thing.

I mean, assuming an interested collector.

Still, best of luck CapnAndy. Hope you get something for it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I actually play that game, though! So I'm torn between opening it or reselling.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

It's actually a 23 card expansion for the non-collectible Illuminati card game. It's out of print, though, so it goes for a lot more than its $8 MSRP.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I imagine it is worth at least 100 gold.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Tulul posted:

On a related note, has anyone done a (good) roll mechanic which assumes success?

There's also Perfect Unrevised. I've never played it so I don't know if it's any good, but it's by Joe Mcdaldno, the same guy who wrote Monsterhearts, which is a really great genre-savvy incarnation of Apocalypse World. It's apparently a game about the price you pay for being a subversive criminal in a dystopian steampunk Victorian England, so it might interest you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cyphoderus posted:

There's also Perfect Unrevised. I've never played it so I don't know if it's any good, but it's by Joe Mcdaldno, the same guy who wrote Monsterhearts, which is a really great genre-savvy incarnation of Apocalypse World. It's apparently a game about the price you pay for being a subversive criminal in a dystopian steampunk Victorian England, so it might interest you.

That's a weird setting, but I like it a lot. The PDF is free from the linked page too.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Perfect Unrevised is sort of like Victorian steampunk 1984. The oppressive dystopia element is really pervasive. It's good, but also a little surrealistic. It could be exactly what you're looking for, though.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Cyphoderus posted:

Note: Joe Mcdaldno changed their name to Avery Mcdaldno about six months ago, so let's all just agree to call them that even though all the pdfs still say Joe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The list of Ennies nominees is up.

http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/2014-ennie-awards-nominees/

Fate Core and 13th Age are up for a bunch of stuff, as is tremulus for some reason.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

as is tremulus for some reason.

This is an award where the majority of winners are Paizo products. The ENnies loving love bad games.

e; unrelated (other than it being one of the games on the ENnie page), but has anyone played Warbirds? The concept seems pretty neat.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 14, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's actually very few paizo products on the list this year.

I was surprised about tremulus because I thought it came out before last year, but apparently that was the backer version. The public release was last year or something.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
The Ennies also apparently depend on what publishers are willing to send in a certain number of free copies (which can be a big disincentive for smaller publishers, though apparently not for the creators of Tremulus), and then in turn the judges poring through a pretty ridiculous amount of material to pick nominees.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm curious, whats the main problem with tremulus? I have a copy that I've been meaning to read through/try for a while, and at least at first glance nothing quite horrible stood out. Is it just because its a derivative PbtA game with a tired theme (Cthulhu)?

I sort of liked all the town generation and various world building stuff that I saw.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm curious, whats the main problem with tremulus?

It's a PbtA game that mostly recycles AW's basic moves and doesn't put any effort into writing its own, so it falls flat because a good chunk of the "mechanics enforcing the fiction" thing that is the hallmark of a good PbtA game comes from the basic moves.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

I'm curious, whats the main problem with tremulus? I have a copy that I've been meaning to read through/try for a while, and at least at first glance nothing quite horrible stood out. Is it just because its a derivative PbtA game with a tired theme (Cthulhu)?

I sort of liked all the town generation and various world building stuff that I saw.
We were talking about this earlier in the thread. It doesn't really emulate the genre of fiction its trying to do very well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Here is a pretty good rundown. Basically, people want to treat AW as yet another "universal system" that they can run rules-light games in, and it's not that. It's a platform for building a very focused game, and Tremulus is pretty facile about just converting stuff from Call of Cthulhu into AW mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The best part of tremulus was the town and mystery creation system, but that was pretty much lifted from Durance.

• Locked thread