Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Saros posted:

I dont even think he is in a profession where loan forgiveness is a real thing as well.

No he's hoping and dreaming for system-wide education debt reform. I know tons of people who think that it'll happen eventually and their $50k+ student loans will just "go away" at sometime in the near future, so they'll be ok just paying a couple hundred a month toward their loans now. No reason to try to really make a dent if the politicians will forgive the loan later anyway, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

fruition posted:

No he's hoping and dreaming for system-wide education debt reform. I know tons of people who think that it'll happen eventually and their $50k+ student loans will just "go away" at sometime in the near future, so they'll be ok just paying a couple hundred a month toward their loans now. No reason to try to really make a dent if the politicians will forgive the loan later anyway, right?

I'm actually pretty bullish on some manner of generalized student loan forgiveness, probably not for their full value, but something. Something will play out over the next twenty years - there's a lot of student loan debt out there that will probably never be able to be paid. (I don't have loans though, so I have little investment in the matter, just my idle musing.)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Dude is just looking for "tax shelters", paying the minimum on his student loan debt and complaining about the gubmint taking 40% of his money via taxes. He also seems to think that getting married and having a kid will save him money. Seems like a real piece of work.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

fruition posted:

Good Lord, that's one hell of a gamble. I'm super optimistic about higher education reform and even I'm not believing for a second that more than 50% of anyone's debt will be forgiven. How can you plan your future on some policy reform that isn't even being mentioned by most politicians?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

Well, it's hard to track everything. I've been using MINT but I just have big expenses that really set me back. Like an upcoming vacation which set me back like $2800.
Bought a new laptop, paid off my car loan. Since it's our first time living in the city, my GF likes to eat at all the expensive places ~$60-70 per dinner once or twice a week. I have savings of about 30k but it seems to not be moving up.

Not spending my money is too hard :cry:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

quote:

Since it's our first time living in the city, my GF likes to eat at all the expensive places ~$60-70 per dinner once or twice a week.

Did you say the CITY!? HOOOOOO BOY, LOS ANGELES! Better go to all of the most expensive restaurants constantly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

I want to be that GF.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Thesaurus posted:

Did you say the CITY!? HOOOOOO BOY, LOS ANGELES! Better go to all of the most expensive restaurants constantly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

I want to be that GF.

Jalopy #1: Leased @ $500/month. Insurance is $200/mo (I got a DUI a few years ago when I was young and dumb with a moonshine problem). Should I buy it out once the lease term expires?
Gas is so expensive, I usually just end up taking the mule to work.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I spend that much on dinner on average once a week (probably a little bit more actually).

I don't feel poor living paycheck to paycheck though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah a $60 dinner bill for two people isn't excessive in any way. If it's per person, that does kick it up a notch, but if there's like three drinks in there... Meh.

Dude's hopelessly hosed though, let's just hope he doesn't get laid off.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It sounds like he's on that plan where it'll be forgiven after twenty or so years of making payments as they don't realistically expect you to be able to pay off the whole thing in your lifetime (at least he thinks he's on that plan).

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Based upon his 401k balance and other remarks, I think he has barely been working for about a year. I'm not sure of exactly what kind of professions pay $160k right out of school (especially nowadays), but you can probably count them on one hand.

The hosed up higher education system of America notwithstanding, you have to be at least a bit morally bankrupt to want to welch on the student loans that are largely responsible for your huge income.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barry posted:

Based upon his 401k balance and other remarks, I think he has barely been working for about a year. I'm not sure of exactly what kind of professions pay $160k right out of school (especially nowadays), but you can probably count them on one hand.

The hosed up higher education system of America notwithstanding, you have to be at least a bit morally bankrupt to want to welch on the student loans that are largely responsible for your huge income.

The world of squeezing money out of institutions is one where you make the number go up at any cost. Whoever the lender was, if the lendee has a way out, the knew about it when they gave him the loan and could have planned for it the same way he has. If the lender had the chance to screw him in a way that is profitable for them, they would do it in a heartbeat, "morally bankrupt" or not, I think it's okay for him to play by the same rules.

Unfortunately I think he is making poo poo up as he goes and doesn't have an out at all.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jeffrey posted:

The world of squeezing money out of institutions is one where you make the number go up at any cost. Whoever the lender was, if the lendee has a way out, the knew about it when they gave him the loan and could have planned for it the same way he has. If the lender had the chance to screw him in a way that is profitable for them, they would do it in a heartbeat, "morally bankrupt" or not, I think it's okay for him to play by the same rules.

I get that and I don't really want to start yet another higher education debate, but he was provided an education that is obviously paying dividends, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to actually pay for it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Barry posted:

Top law firms pay first year associates $160k to start. Probably that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
He's probably on PAYE but his payments are based off of old , low incomes. My guess is he's an attorney and the payment is calculated based on his summer earnings between his 2L/3L year. PAYE legitimately does give full forgiveness after 20 years, or 10 if you're in public interest. So he's fine until he submits his income statement and sees his payments shoot through the roof to 10% of his AGI. It'll be like $1200/mo instead of the $200/mo.

Edit- more than half of my colleagues have 200k in debt, make like 1/3 what this guy does, and are also banking on the 20 year (or 25, if they're on IBR) forgiveness. It's not uncommon.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The best part is when he gets stuck with the tax bill on the 'income' provided from wiping his loans.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

28f on reddit posted:

I'm pretty financially savvy

$59 - Chiropractor (cancelled auto-debit plan but need to continue going occasionally)

:laffo:

I love that these people are so loving innumerate that they literally can't add up all their expenses to figure out where their money goes. Help where is my money going there is no way I could possibly figure it out without like, divination or something help me reddit you're my only hope.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Another thread in BFC reminded me of another very unique way to be bad with money - failing to (reasonably accurately) assess risk.

The loss of time and productivity from losing your internet link can range from minor inconvenience to major catastrophe depending on the type of work being done, deadlines, etc. It seems obvious that if your work will be seriously and negatively impacted from losing said connectivity you would make a sincere effort to mitigate the risk by having a backup internet connection, but apparently for some of my customers that isn't the case. Cue a catastrophic failure and they're on the line screaming at us because for them there's no Plan B.

The same also applies to backups - if you're going to lose significant amounts of time, energy and money if your computer crashes/dies/is stolen, you should make an effort to have things backed up. Seriously, don't be this guy, back your critical documents up.

To illustrate this point, here's a couple of gems heard from my time in a residential ISP:
"All my backups were on that computer!"
"I work from home, what am I supposed to do if the service isn't working?!"
"It's a Mac, it can't get viruses!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Barry posted:

Gonna file this guy next to Bob Nardelli under "disproof of meritocracy."

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

froglet posted:

Another thread in BFC reminded me of another very unique way to be bad with money - failing to (reasonably accurately) assess risk.

The loss of time and productivity from losing your internet link can range from minor inconvenience to major catastrophe depending on the type of work being done, deadlines, etc. It seems obvious that if your work will be seriously and negatively impacted from losing said connectivity you would make a sincere effort to mitigate the risk by having a backup internet connection, but apparently for some of my customers that isn't the case. Cue a catastrophic failure and they're on the line screaming at us because for them there's no Plan B.

The same also applies to backups - if you're going to lose significant amounts of time, energy and money if your computer crashes/dies/is stolen, you should make an effort to have things backed up. Seriously, don't be this guy, back your critical documents up.

To illustrate this point, here's a couple of gems heard from my time in a residential ISP:
"All my backups were on that computer!"
"I work from home, what am I supposed to do if the service isn't working?!"
"It's a Mac, it can't get viruses!"

Ugh, as a former cable installer I'd run into this one time (in the 6 months I worked there). I'll never forget this lady for being such a horrible person to do work for.

It was a couple who had just bought an old home in a fairly nice area of town. I guess they had already moved in. We were scheduled to do an entire setup - phone, internet, and television with me as the sole technician. I was pretty excited because I was paid per task and the job would've paid around $100.00.

Now the problem came when I realized that even though the neighborhood and house was probably 30-40 years old, the house had never been setup for cable because there was no hub (the green cable box or cable hole you'll see outside at a house every 5-10 houses). What this means is I had to setup a work order for a crew to come run some RG-6 or RG-11 coaxial under the asphalt road from across the street, to get a hub in that the house could tie into. Generally this takes about a week to schedule out.

When I informed the customer about this (along with the digging crew manager), she proceeded to freak out. She started bawling tears right in front of me screaming how that's unacceptable because she works from home and she needed to be ready to work tomorrow. I proceed to tell her I'm sorry but that it is out of my hands, while simultaneously thinking what horrible planning. I mean who schedules something that they absolutely must have to make a living and survive without any time allotted for potential problems? I don't even need internet at home necessarily and I just scheduled a new install, but I left myself a 7 day period of concurrent service just in case.

Anyway she ended up emailing absolutely every level of corporate crying about her situation-along with my name of course-so we ended up scheduling every single customer out at least another day due to immense pressure from corporate to do so. Because we only had two crews and it would take both to finish that day, even jobs and customers that were currently being taken care of had to be blown off. So basically due to this lady's unpreparedness she inconvenienced probably 20-30 other customers who may have needed service just as badly, and also my boss, the digging crew manager, and myself. We all caught heat from corporate and the guys above us as well for letting it escalate-even though it was out of our hands.

gently caress being a cable installer (subcontractor). Seriously consider tipping your cable guy a little lunch money or something, because those poor bastards put up with a ton of poo poo. I was working 6 days a week 7:00am to often 10:00pm or later and my best week I made $750.00. Plus we had to pay for our own gas for that 70 hour+ week of driving around. It's literally criminal. The only bright side is it motivated me to immediately pick up a programming book and get a good job. If you get an in-house technician though don't tip them they get paid hourly and generally make pretty good money.

Edit: oh and the kicker? I spent about 2 hours assessing the job and trying to placate this lady, and I got paid a grand total of $0.00 for it since nothing was installed. Just to reiterate: gently caress being a cable installer (subcontractor).

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 15, 2014

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

When people need internet for work *LIKE RIGHT NOW*, couldn't they just go somewhere that has a free wifi connection to tide themselves over for a day or two during the install? I know that the connection probably isn't as fast as some people might need, but it's a reasonable stopgap. I mean, drat, some people only work out of coffee shops.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

When people need internet for work *LIKE RIGHT NOW*, couldn't they just go somewhere that has a free wifi connection to tide themselves over for a day or two during the install? I know that the connection probably isn't as fast as some people might need, but it's a reasonable stopgap. I mean, drat, some people only work out of coffee shops.

I work from home and I spend a good chunk of the day on the phone. Not something that you want to do out of the local starbucks as you don't have any control over the background noise and it doesn't sound very professional. Plus sometimes the topics being discussed may be too private for a public space.

The power has gone out 4 times over the past 4 months we've lived in our current house, not even including momentary outages.

For my own business continuity plans I have backup internet through my cell phone (unlimited data) which gives me enough time until my laptop batteries would die anyway, and I recently got a UPS for my desk and another for the cable modem. Hopefully this will be enough to get through the shorter outages (UPS time + laptop battery time). If there is anything which takes longer than that my other last ditch options are my in-laws house and then starbucks, in that order.

On my to buy list is a generator as we live in a hurricane prone area and the electrical service in the area is pretty unreliable already from our experience. I'm fearful we'll be in that group of people who have to wait 3 weeks to have power restored following a hurricane, so this is a worthwhile investment from that perspective.

edit - I wouldn't make a fuss like that lady did though. Cell phone internet was fine for 99% of the times I've used it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GanjamonII posted:

I work from home and I spend a good chunk of the day on the phone. Not something that you want to do out of the local starbucks as you don't have any control over the background noise and it doesn't sound very professional. Plus sometimes the topics being discussed may be too private for a public space.

Public library wifi from your car in the parking lot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Wife just told me a story about her cousin. She just graduated high school this year (the cousin, not my wife)
She was a good student, and graduated with honors from her high school. She was involved in a bunch of clubs and sports, but none of those turned into scholarships.
Her mom is a nurse, and stepfather is a teacher. Dad's a dentist, but he's a lousy dentist struggling in his practice, and has no money (but I don't think he'd help out anyway). It's sort of a Brady Bunch situation, with the two combined families, the parents are supporting a total of 7 children (3 are in college, one is just graduating HS, and the other two are in high school/middle school). So, money is tight.

She wanted to go to a state school, in state but in another city (so she couldn't live at home). In state tuition and housing was going to be too expensive, so her mom suggests she live at home or at least in the same city and go to a community college for the first couple years and then transfer to a university. The tuition difference alone is about $2k/yr compared to $11k/yr. She decides, nope, I want to go to a REAL UNIVERSITY, not like those dumb junior college kids.

So she decides she is going to a for profit university, Grand Canyon University! And she's going to live in the dorms! Mom says to take a day to think about it, because everyone in the family would have to make a lot of sacrifices in order to send her there. If that's really what she wants, they don't want to hold her back from her dreams and they'd make it work.

She moves in next week, getting the complete garbage-tier for-profit university experience!

Same family, different people.

Her stepbrother got a scholarship to a university to go play tennis. He moved up to the school and lived in an apartment with his sister who was also going to the same school. After a week or two, she realized that he never left the apartment. He had a full scholarship, and literally never went to a single class for two weeks. He was administratively dropped, scholarship withdrawn, and kicked out of the housing. How fast have you seen someone throw $~80k away?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Wife just told me a story about her cousin. She just graduated high school this year (the cousin, not my wife)
She was a good student, and graduated with honors from her high school. She was involved in a bunch of clubs and sports, but none of those turned into scholarships.
Her mom is a nurse, and stepfather is a teacher. Dad's a dentist, but he's a lousy dentist struggling in his practice, and has no money (but I don't think he'd help out anyway). It's sort of a Brady Bunch situation, with the two combined families, the parents are supporting a total of 7 children (3 are in college, one is just graduating HS, and the other two are in high school/middle school). So, money is tight.

She wanted to go to a state school, in state but in another city (so she couldn't live at home). In state tuition and housing was going to be too expensive, so her mom suggests she live at home or at least in the same city and go to a community college for the first couple years and then transfer to a university. The tuition difference alone is about $2k/yr compared to $11k/yr. She decides, nope, I want to go to a REAL UNIVERSITY, not like those dumb junior college kids.

So she decides she is going to a for profit university, Grand Canyon University! And she's going to live in the dorms! Mom says to take a day to think about it, because everyone in the family would have to make a lot of sacrifices in order to send her there. If that's really what she wants, they don't want to hold her back from her dreams and they'd make it work.

She moves in next week, getting the complete garbage-tier for-profit university experience!

I feel really bad for that girl. She's making a life ruining decision but she doesn't know any better. I guess she's 18 so she can make her own decisions but it's gonna really screw up that family. Someone should've stopped her. :smith:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
A lot of people don't know that for-profit universities are a thing and that there is an entire industry centered around bilking people out of their money by promising them an education that turns out to be useless. They think that surely there is some authority keeping an eye on all this stuff, fake universities couldn't exist!

It seems like her entire family is going to learn a hard lesson :smith:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

axeil posted:

I feel really bad for that girl. She's making a life ruining decision but she doesn't know any better. I guess she's 18 so she can make her own decisions but it's gonna really screw up that family. Someone should've stopped her. :smith:
Technically none of the family is obligated to pitch in for her tuition, but that would just cause a different set of problems. :v: (can you imagine the sheer level of resentment because they didn't support her dreams?)

Someone needed to sit her down and give her a nice, long talk about how nobody's going to give a poo poo about what school she went to unless a)it's Harvard or something, or b)they went there themselves. And about how the "college experience" is nice, but not worth a lifetime of debt and familial financial issues. And how maybe she should take a gap year or something because it seems like she's picking schools on impulse and doesn't actually know what she wants from a college degree.

(It might be too late now, but could she look into these? If she really did have good high school grades, that's several thousand bucks of free money right there. And she has filed a FAFSA, right? Potentially more grants(or at least semi-reasonable government loans) from that.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Same family, different people.

Her stepbrother got a scholarship to a university to go play tennis. He moved up to the school and lived in an apartment with his sister who was also going to the same school. After a week or two, she realized that he never left the apartment. He had a full scholarship, and literally never went to a single class for two weeks. He was administratively dropped, scholarship withdrawn, and kicked out of the housing. How fast have you seen someone throw $~80k away?

So all three of this kid's parents are in careers they could only achieve through university degrees and she went through the US school system in the last 20 years? How in the world might she get the idea that university is the key to education/stable careers?!

College is one of the biggest financial decisions you'll make in your life, and you usually have to make it when you're 18 and have 1. No life experience 2. Don't even really know what to study while you're racking up all this debt 3. Probably have the most influential adults in your life ganging up on you and forcing koolaid in your face. The system is completely hosed up and that's not even accounting for for-profit schools.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

NancyPants posted:

So all three of this kid's parents are in careers they could only achieve through university degrees and she went through the US school system in the last 20 years? How in the world might she get the idea that university is the key to education/stable careers?!

College is one of the biggest financial decisions you'll make in your life, and you usually have to make it when you're 18 and have 1. No life experience 2. Don't even really know what to study while you're racking up all this debt 3. Probably have the most influential adults in your life ganging up on you and forcing koolaid in your face. The system is completely hosed up and that's not even accounting for for-profit schools.

Choosing to go to college is not necessarily the "bad with money" part. The bad with money is choosing to pay a public university price tag to go to a degree mill, in order to avoid the unbearable shame of going to a junior college.

My "college experience" was working McJobs while attending a community college, transferring to a university, and graduating with a $55k/yr job offer at a great company in my field with just under $10k in subsidized federal loans :toot:

But that's not the glamorous "college experience" that is shown in the movies that many people expect.

I know a couple who would just write a check to their student children each semester for the amount of what in-state tuition cost at their nearest university (I think it was University of Colorado), with the standing offer that they could continue to live at home as long as they were maintaining enrollment and good grades. Some of them chose to go to a community college the first couple years and squirreled away the tuition difference to help out with living expenses when they transferred to out of state universities. Some chose to go straightaway to universities out of state, and landed some great academic scholarships and used the money from their folks to cover living and travel expenses.
I always thought that was a pretty smart and equitable model, if the family can afford it.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Knyteguy posted:

gently caress being a cable installer (subcontractor). Seriously consider tipping your cable guy a little lunch money or something, because those poor bastards put up with a ton of poo poo. I was working 6 days a week 7:00am to often 10:00pm or later and my best week I made $750.00. Plus we had to pay for our own gas for that 70 hour+ week of driving around. It's literally criminal. The only bright side is it motivated me to immediately pick up a programming book and get a good job. If you get an in-house technician though don't tip them they get paid hourly and generally make pretty good money.

Edit: oh and the kicker? I spent about 2 hours assessing the job and trying to placate this lady, and I got paid a grand total of $0.00 for it since nothing was installed. Just to reiterate: gently caress being a cable installer (subcontractor).

I was an in house DISH installer. $13 an hour is not pretty good money, despite overtime. If a guy comes to your house and you can afford it, tip the guy. Sticking with that job was my bad with money experience. It took me about a year to go from a programming book to a programming job.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I have a friend who is making payments to ATT for a iPad air. I can't help but feel that this is being bad with money since refurbished products are so much cheaper. $41/mo for 20 months device payment seems really steep, especially considering the hit she will take on device depreciation. Never mind the insane rate they charge for a data block.

I'm looking for the smilie where the guy throws dolla billz everywhere as it seems most appropriate but can't locate it.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Someone needed to sit her down and give her a nice, long talk about how nobody's going to give a poo poo about what school she went to unless a)it's Harvard or something, or b)they went there themselves. And about how the "college experience" is nice, but not worth a lifetime of debt and familial financial issues. And how maybe she should take a gap year or something because it seems like she's picking schools on impulse and doesn't actually know what she wants from a college degree.

I was a high school teacher for seven years before I moved on to my current career. I taught a very promising student my third year. She was a minority student from a solid, working class family and would be the first to attend university. She applied for an amazing scholarship offered by one of the local charitable organizations: a literal full-ride (housing and books included) at any state university for her Junior and Senior year, provided she completed the first two years at a community college and kept her GPA above 3.0.

I worked with her on her application and essay, spoke with several members of the selection committee on the phone, and practiced interview strategies for when she had to meet with the committee.

She won the scholarship and for whatever reason decided that instead of an associate's degree (or 60-ish hours of credit) and a free bachelor's degree, she'd rather have something "she could use right now." You guessed it: some business certification from a for-profit school that advertised on daytime TV.

I was absolutely dismayed. No amount of convincing could change her mind. She walked away from $50,000 or so of scholarship money, ruined my credibility with scholarship committee (which caused me to direct another student a couple of years later to get his rec letters and the like from another teacher), and worst of all, squandered a very promising future.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

MC Hawking posted:

I have a friend who is making payments to ATT for a iPad air. I can't help but feel that this is being bad with money since refurbished products are so much cheaper. $41/mo for 20 months device payment seems really steep, especially considering the hit she will take on device depreciation. Never mind the insane rate they charge for a data block.

I'm looking for the smilie where the guy throws dolla billz everywhere as it seems most appropriate but can't locate it.

you're looking for :homebrew:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

SIHappiness posted:

I was a high school teacher for seven years before I moved on to my current career. I taught a very promising student my third year. She was a minority student from a solid, working class family and would be the first to attend university. She applied for an amazing scholarship offered by one of the local charitable organizations: a literal full-ride (housing and books included) at any state university for her Junior and Senior year, provided she completed the first two years at a community college and kept her GPA above 3.0.

I worked with her on her application and essay, spoke with several members of the selection committee on the phone, and practiced interview strategies for when she had to meet with the committee.

She won the scholarship and for whatever reason decided that instead of an associate's degree (or 60-ish hours of credit) and a free bachelor's degree, she'd rather have something "she could use right now." You guessed it: some business certification from a for-profit school that advertised on daytime TV.

I was absolutely dismayed. No amount of convincing could change her mind. She walked away from $50,000 or so of scholarship money, ruined my credibility with scholarship committee (which caused me to direct another student a couple of years later to get his rec letters and the like from another teacher), and worst of all, squandered a very promising future.

Jesus.

There's a for-profit shithole in London, ON (Westerveldt College) that you'll see people wearing uniforms from sometimes.

I remember seeing a girl on the bus once who couldn't have been more than 23. Kid in stroller, she's in a Westerveldt College Police Foundations getup, replete with windbreaker.

Guarantee she thought she was sacrificing now to provide for the kid's future and all. Meanwhile, she's pissing away 20k a year at a school that not only won't get her onto any police force, will also get her turned down from halfway decent security gigs as well.

I did HR at a security company for a while, and part of my gig beyond recruiting was giving references for employees moving into the police (toronto and peel region police in particular): I had recruiting officers at both tell me that a police foundations diploma would turn them off almost immediately, strictly because they'd have to break them off all the bad habits they picked up in school and teach them correctly. It was easier with a blank slate.

One of the guys I hired spent about 6 months with us before going to Toronto police. He went from film school to security, and is now a fairly good officer from what I hear.

Meanwhile, places like this shithole are putting people in debt for at least 7 years (you can discharge student loans in bankruptcy in Canada), and all they'll get from it is a shot at doing security for $12 an hour, if they're lucky.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 16, 2014

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canyoneer posted:

So she decides she is going to a for profit university, Grand Canyon University! And she's going to live in the dorms! Mom says to take a day to think about it, because everyone in the family would have to make a lot of sacrifices in order to send her there. If that's really what she wants, they don't want to hold her back from her dreams and they'd make it work

I don't understand why they won't hold her back from her dreams of going to a for-profit garbage school and living in the dorm, but they won't support her original and much more reasonable dream of going to a state school in another city?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

LyonsLions posted:

I don't understand why they won't hold her back from her dreams of going to a for-profit garbage school and living in the dorm, but they won't support her original and much more reasonable dream of going to a state school in another city?

The whole package for the for-profit university was still cheaper than the in-state school in another city.
From most expensive to least expensive:
State school in other city
For profit school in other city
State school in home city (cheaper because no incremental housing cost, but she doesn't want to go there for some reason)
Community college in home city (embarrassing!)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

axeil posted:

It's not too late to control the damage. Canyoneer and/or his wife ought to tell her what an idiot she's being; the damage to family relationships from forcefully confronting her should be smaller than what that girl is doing to do to her family.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Community college in home city (embarrassing!)

Those of us who know poo poo know that a year or two at CC and transferring to a university is the better way to go, but around here EVERYONE makes CC out to be "13th grade" and for dumb people, etc. I'm telling you, the pressure put on "good students" and the "smart kids" to go to a "good school" is absolutely unreal. For-profit universities should be loving illegal.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

NancyPants posted:

Those of us who know poo poo know that a year or two at CC and transferring to a university is the better way to go, but around here EVERYONE makes CC out to be "13th grade" and for dumb people, etc. I'm telling you, the pressure put on "good students" and the "smart kids" to go to a "good school" is absolutely unreal. For-profit universities should be loving illegal.

The only exception is the "real" math/hard science/engineering classes. I went to CC for about a year before transferring to flagship public state school and the difficulty/challenge physics, chemistry, calc, circuits, was astounding compared to CC. I thought I was hot poo poo but was lucky to get Bs and Cs's my first year of real college. Got A's in all rounds of calc in CC but the problem sets my friends were given were so hard I literally could not help them despite having transferred credits.

The strong generally survive though.

The bullshit liberal arts classes were pretty much the same, just on a prettier campus. So if you want to get a BS major in polysci or english or psychology (WHY??????) not taking English Literature 101 at CC for 10% tuition/credit hr is shooting yourself in the foot.

For some more content: my friend spends ALL of his disposable income on guns and ammunition every other Friday he gets paid. He's not one of those doomsday people, he just really loves his guns. Problem is he's 33 with 0 savings of any sort including retirement, $20K in debt from a worthless criminal justice degree and about 11K riding at 29.99% from credit cards (also maxed out on guns and ammo) and makes about $12/hr as a security guard. Nothing at all wrong with buying guns or ammo or being a security guard (we're in Texas!) but how much ammo do you need?! Never realized how expensive bullets were until I went to the gun range with him.

Oh yeah, he's one of those people who makes the minimum payment and then hikes up the balance to just below where it would push him over the credit limit with a purchase. Yes, I used to do that when I was a dumb kid. But you're literally just paying the bank money for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folly
May 26, 2010
Today, my mother-in-law tried to explain that my daughter needed brand new $35 crocs (the ugly shoes) because the pair she already owned was purchased used, and not new.

The whole story is a little E/N-ish, but here it is:

I've talked about my Mother-in-law's habit of shopping for entertainment before, and that she feels guilty can't show off by buying stuff for herself, so she spends it on my kids. Previously, she brought over a pair of baby-sized crocs, saying they were cast-offs from a my wife's cousin's baby. We like the cousin and don't want to alienate her, and we don't like waste, so we accepted this as true and took the shoes. (We're past the point of being polite to my mother-in-law about this.) Today, she had a brand new pair of crocs in a slightly different shade of pink. My wife pointed out that the baby already had a pair and that my mother-in-law knew it because she had brought them over. My mother-in-law responded with, "Oh, well that last pair was just from a thrift store. These are real, brand new ones." Because, you know, it's not real unless it's brand new.

Also, she had a girly looking crib bumper that somehow exactly matched the color scheme of my daughter's room that she tried to say she had bought "for the travel crib she kept at her house when <my son> was a baby." Again, playing to our dislike of waste. Travel crib = playpen, in this case. And you don't buy sheets or bumpers for those. For added bonus, my mother-in-law probably bought the new bumper because she doesn't like the fact that the current bumper only ties into the wall color, not the walls and curtains both. Imagine someone so picky about appearances being totally unaware that her excuse would look ridiculous in her own house.

The sad part is that when my wife snapped at her about this, she blamed my son for "not sufficiently explaining the rules to her." It's not my son's job, he's 7. It's our job, and we have told her. In fact, we've told her so many times that we created the whole stupidly constrained "Bring nothing." policy just to eliminate any misunderstanding, even fake misunderstanding like this.

Folly fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 16, 2014

• Locked thread