Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Kwi... needs to attack on this Col or they are going to get swallowed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I love having an Aussie as a GC contender again. :australia:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Two straight mountain time trials can't be healthy.

Yeah, he's dead.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pocket posted:

Kwi... needs to attack on this Col or they are going to get swallowed up.

I think they will anyway seems like

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah 2 minutes is nothing if attacks launch on the last climb

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, the break is not going to succeed now.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I wish Tony Martin would become a classics man

dema
Aug 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Yep. Down tube went apparently.

That doesn't make any sense if there was a "70 meter long skid mark". DT breaking was probably the result and not the cause.

Loss of traction due to a flat seems more likely. Just a guess.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'll wait until the team do a press release before believing it's a frame failure.

Rod for the stage win!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

African AIDS cum posted:

I wish Tony Martin would become a classics man
Why hasn't he? The beast needs his classics IMO.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dema posted:

That doesn't make any sense if there was a "70 meter long skid mark". DT breaking was probably the result and not the cause.

Loss of traction due to a flat seems more likely. Just a guess.

They're saying his frame went and threw him onto the road, hence the massive skid mark. These guys can all ride with a flat tyre so unless it exploded I'd be very surprised that it dumped a bike rider like Contador on the floor.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I hope Valverde does something

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

quote:

Questioned by letour.fr, Tinkoff-Saxo's directeur sportif Philippe Mauduit who jumped in the second team car to let a free seat to Alberto Contador after his retirement explained: “Alberto badly crashed. His right knee is seriously injured. The crash has been violent. I have his shoe with me, it's completely destroyed. According to some rumors, his bike has been broken but that's not the case. A bike fell from our racks after we fixed Nicolas Roche's bike. It's obviously too early to establish a diagnostic for Alberto. Once he'll reach the finish, he'll undergo an x-ray examination. Before pulling out, he told us that he was in an awful pain and he couldn't go any further on his bike. It's a pity because everything had gone well since the beginning of the Tour. We had a plan and today's race was unfolding exactly as we wanted. In a fraction of a second, it all fell apart, so we're immensely sad. Tomorrow, it's a rest day. After tomorrow, a new battle will begin. We'll stay united and a new Tour de France will begin for us.”

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Xabi posted:

I don't think he can powerclimb like Boonen/Fabs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

This is interesting then since everyone was saying at the time that his bike frame was clearly broken. Sponsorship appeasement?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Bad crash for scarponi.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
Not a nice turn for Scarponi there...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If there was a bike on the floor with a broken frame, people probably thought it must have been associated.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Xabi posted:

The cobbles. Has aspergers probably like most germans. I think he gets caught up counting all of them as he goes by.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Disappointed no-ones tried to attack Nibali.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Nibali is off

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Puritos gonna get caught, but its spotty jumper time :whatup:

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

TJVG could be a contender for overall if not for his crashes probably. Would be funny if Horner went full retard and won. I still don't think Nibali is in great climbing shape

Dunno about this

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Nibali :dance:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Nibali has real panache. Gotta respect that. Good poo poo this

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

This is majestic from nibali, looks so comfortable

dema
Aug 13, 2006

LIKE A BOSS.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm imagining him chasing the ghost of Contador up the climb, it makes a lot more sense. :(

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Goddam Nibali, what an acceleration

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Left them for dead like it was nothing, nice.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Hegay posted:

Dunno about this

TJVG only won white because of all the TT kms that year, like Wiggins but even more extreme. Dude is not a good enough climber (or at least not elite)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Holy poo poo nibali put a minute into everyone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His leg speed on that incline is mad.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I would normally say the tour's done at this point but Im highly expecting Nibali's bike to explode tomorrow and for him to quit the race.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Oh Schleck, you used to be good :(

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Dominant display of power.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'll never call him Nibbles again.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Allyn posted:

TJVG only won white because of all the TT kms that year, like Wiggins but even more extreme. Dude is not a good enough climber (or at least not elite)

I think he is in much better shape now and on the winners program, team believed in him enough to make him sole leader and not bring Evans

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I would normally say the tour's done at this point but Im highly expecting Nibali's bike to explode tomorrow and for him to quit the race.

Yeah unless his bike literally fails like you said I can't see anyone else winning. He has fantastic bike control so I can't see him crashing out, and now that Contador's gone there's nobody left to challenge him in the mountains.

Great finish, too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Tbf I'm not sure froome or contador would have beaten him based on this. Lo squalo owns.