Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Thermoworks is having one of their open box Thermapen sales right now. Thermapens are going for $74, limited color selection. http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2014.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Has anyone tried the Mangrate yet?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I just picked up a used Traeger on Craigslist. I have some baby back ribs ready to go, and I made some Memphis Dust after the amazingribs recipe. I'm planning on 4 to 5 hours at about 225, and while I'm not planning on foiling, I'll be ready if they seem to be getting too dry, maybe 3-.5-.5 or 3-1-1.

Does all that seem reasonable? Anything in particular I should watch out for?

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

Going to do some spareribs on my WSM for the first time today (not my first time smoking ribs though) and I have a couple questions for you guys who have one:

1. I like the minion method, how much charcoal would you recommend placing in the ring vice hot briquettes on top?

I will usually fill my 18.5's ring to the top every time I cook. There's usually plenty left over from the previous cook, but I feel like it will help keep things consistent since I'm still learning. It also helps keep things easier if I decide to add more food on later. I then pull about 15 briquettes out of the middle, to the point where I can see the bottom grate. It ends up looking kind of like a donut. After the pulled ones are ready from the chimney, I pour them back into the center hole they came from. I honestly don't know if the whole donut thing is necessary but it's been reliably for me.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of automatic temperature control units, I'm the developer of an open source project called HeaterMeter. I've just released all the specs for the latest hardware revision and to get rid of some of the crap on my desk, I'm giving away one of the development units. If you have an account on tvwbb.com, I'd recommend hopping over there and posting to the thread for a chance to win.

HeaterMeter 4.2 Giveaway

For those unfamiliar with the HeaterMeter, it is a device I started working on about 4 years ago because I thought the Stoker was too expensive, and didn't have features I wanted (like wifi and graphs). I've now spent several thousand dollars of my money making incrementally better devices. It costs about $150 to build one, plus probes which you may already have, and is a fun DIY electronics project with no prior soldering experience necessary. I hope this isn't too much of a plug, but hey it's free stuff and it's not like I'm sort of 2014 regdate. I know at least one other goon uses a HeaterMeter.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

CapnBry posted:

On the subject of automatic temperature control units, I'm the developer of an open source project called HeaterMeter. I've just released all the specs for the latest hardware revision and to get rid of some of the crap on my desk, I'm giving away one of the development units. If you have an account on tvwbb.com, I'd recommend hopping over there and posting to the thread for a chance to win.

HeaterMeter 4.2 Giveaway

For those unfamiliar with the HeaterMeter, it is a device I started working on about 4 years ago because I thought the Stoker was too expensive, and didn't have features I wanted (like wifi and graphs). I've now spent several thousand dollars of my money making incrementally better devices. It costs about $150 to build one, plus probes which you may already have, and is a fun DIY electronics project with no prior soldering experience necessary. I hope this isn't too much of a plug, but hey it's free stuff and it's not like I'm sort of 2014 regdate. I know at least one other goon uses a HeaterMeter.

Would be so jazzed if I got one of these, guess I will go register an account and try my luck, thanks for the heads up.

Well going to post after my account gets approved there or whatever, can't use aliases on that forum, that is gay as poo poo.

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 14, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have mine sitting in a box because I haven't put it together yet. Now I need to get a soldering iron and just do it. I even have a 3d printed case for it.

My first soldering project!

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Myself and another goon have had 75% of all the parts to build one, I've just never gotten off my rear end to order the remaining stuff from Digikey. Looks like I should now.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

sellouts posted:

I have mine sitting in a box because I haven't put it together yet. Now I need to get a soldering iron and just do it. I even have a 3d printed case for it.

My first soldering project!

This is exactly where I am. The soldering is not as easy as it looks if you've never done it before. I actually wrecked my first PCB. I'm switching to solder paste and going to start building again in the coming week.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I smoked two small shoulders on sunday- 5.5 and 6.5 lbs each. They ended up tougher and saltier than usual, probably due in part to their smaller sizes.

So, I'm cooking with them!

Esta noche nosotros tenemos frijoles negros con cerdo ahumado y arroz marron en el estilo de Cuba!

Mmm, meaty! And also beany!

2 40oz cans of black beans(or two pounds of dry beans)
1 large onion chopped
3tbsp minced garlic or 6 cloves peeled and crushed
Whatever amount of pork you feel is appropriate- I didn't really measure, but it's probably a couple of pounds
1tbsp paprika
2tbsp cumin
1-2 bay leaves
1tsp chipotle chili powder
4 cups water and 1 bullion cube, or 4 cups chicken stock
1tbsp vinegar- I used apple cider vinegar, because that's what I happened to have in the kitchen, but you can probably use whatever
Salt/pepper/adobo to taste- I used about 1/2 teaspoon of each

Throw it all in a large pot or slow cooker and simmer for two hours, or until the beans reach your desired level of texture and flavor.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to just serve it over rice, or mix the rice in and make burritos with it...I'm kinda leaning towards the latter.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I smoked two shoulders over the weekend and pulled one immediately. The other one went into the fridge because I was on a time crunch. What's the best way to break it down into more manageable servings before putting it in the freezer? Should I warm it up first and then pull it? slice it? cut it into chunks and then pull them when I need them?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
I'm moving and must leave behind the New Braunfels Black Diamond offset smoker that I had access to. That brand is discontinued. Is there a suitable replacement that is not made with cheap thin walls?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I bought almost 17lbs of pork butt from Costco, and tomorrow I'm going to smoke it on my 30" MasterBuilt Electric. Right now it's in two pieces, should I break those down further so it doesn't take 15+ hours to cook? I know I can foil it and don't care much about bark, anybody got a guide to foiling a pork butt?

That seems like a ridiculous question now that I re-read it but I'm just nervous about dinner tomorrow night. :ohdear:

Edit: Duh, just found http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html and it's very useful & informative.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 20, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not just let it run overnight? Too late now but I thought that was a perk of running electric?

1.5-2 hrs per pound, so i would break it up accordingly.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

CapnBry posted:

HeaterMeter 4.2 Giveaway

I made a heatermeter using your website and it is awesome. Thanks for doing all this stuff CapnBry.

Also if any of the handful of UK goons that smoke meat are looking at getting one, message me. I was really convinced I would gently caress mine up since I've never done a DIY electronics project like this before, so I bought twice as many parts than I needed so I'd have spares. Turns out I'm alright at soldering and I did it perfectly, so I've got a box of parts with absolutely everything you need for a heatermeter (minus probes which are easy to get on amazon). I'll even put it together for you if you want.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 23, 2014

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
English Goons! - I went to a terrible butchers on my lunch break a few weeks ago and asked the cretin for 2 huge briskets. They usually come rolled in England so I wasn't surprised to be handed 2 huge rolled pieces of meat. However when I got home I quickly realised that they appear to have given me just a beef roasting joint.

I've decided I will make it into pastrami anyway, and its been brining for a couple weeks now in my fridge. However I am worried that smoking such a huge round slab of beef will

A) Take forever

B) Wont cut right afterwards

Would it be a good idea to cut the meat in half first before cooking? Or am I over thinking this. I've tried 'unrolling' the meat but the butchers was so poo poo that it literally has a flap of mostly fat/a little meat that makes the cut look like it has a comb over.

For the record this is a good example picture of what I am dealing with...

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Faithless posted:

English Goons! - I went to a terrible butchers on my lunch break a few weeks ago and asked the cretin for 2 huge briskets. They usually come rolled in England so I wasn't surprised to be handed 2 huge rolled pieces of meat. However when I got home I quickly realised that they appear to have given me just a beef roasting joint.

Welcome to crap British butchers. Even if you get a rolled British brisket it is incorrect cut of beef, it'll come out hard and have a different texture to proper US brisket.

You'll need to speak with a butcher than gets custom cuts from it's abattoir if you want a full packer. Most cant or wont.

The only mainstream butcher which sells uncooked flat is Waitrose (Aldi may if you're lucky).

See this link:
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=294349

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Jamsta posted:

Welcome to crap British butchers. Even if you get a rolled British brisket it is incorrect cut of beef, it'll come out hard and have a different texture to proper US brisket.

You'll need to speak with a butcher than gets custom cuts from it's abattoir if you want a full packer. Most cant or wont.

The only mainstream butcher which sells uncooked flat is Waitrose (Aldi may if you're lucky).

See this link:
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=294349

I dunno, I got a 3kg(ish) rolled brisket from the bucher counter in Tesco and it came out pretty loving good, infact its the best meat I've had so far out of my smoker, and the other 8 or so people who have been eating my smoked meat seem to agree.
It might not be the same as the US, but it was moist, tender, and delicious.

They had some little girly briskets on the counter, but they just cut them up from a large joint that they get in. I asked the butcher guy on the counter to call me when they next got a full joint of brisket in and not to cut it. I left my number and he called a couple days later, they kept it back for me so I could come pick it up.

Edit: Found my post from when I did it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post425423033

Faithless posted:

I've decided I will make it into pastrami anyway, and its been brining for a couple weeks now in my fridge. However I am worried that smoking such a huge round slab of beef will

A) Take forever

B) Wont cut right afterwards

When I did my brisket linked above, it took ages. Probably 12-14 hours or so?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 24, 2014

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Second question - Best way to get dry rub to stick to my pastrami?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Faithless posted:

Give it an oil rub down, its a little creepy, but it works

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Always oil down your meat before you give it a good heavy rub.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
This is more of a technical question than a smoking question but I think this is still the place. I own this smoker:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Electric-Smoker/732447.uts

I've had it for 3 years and using it pretty sparingly until this year, I've ran it probably 5 times in the last month. I tried to do some ribs on it yesterday and it wouldn't even get hot enough to burn the wood. Even on high the temp sat at around 160. It was 75 degrees outside. Any idea what could have caused this? I know the heating elements can burn out but it was working, just poorly. Seemed like it was running at about 50% of normal power.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Faithless posted:

That's hot.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So my gas grill just quit, and my smoker died earlier this year. Any recommendations on a new grill? Are combo smoker/gas grills worth it or just buy each separately? Looking for recommendations for both in case the combo ones are poo poo.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I don't know if the combo ones are any good but before I bought anything I'd check craigslist and see what's out there. I've seen BGE's for ~$250 locally, and WSM for under $100 from people who got them for Christmas, used it once or twice, and then had it sitting in their garage until it was time to move. If you're getting awesome deals and have the space it might even be worth it to just buy a grill and a smoker, even if the combos are perfectly functional.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can find either of those prices locally you should take them immediately.

Combo grills are generally good at neither.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Update on the Pastrami wars.

Spent 12 hours trying to maintain a good 200-225 on the smoker (Its a brinkmann) before being annoyed and double foiling it into the oven to temp.

Next day I decided to take some advice from Katz's Delicatessen's website which recommends if you buy their pastrami whole to boil it for 2-3 hours until it reaches the level of tenderisation you wish. Have to say that this was a brilliant method which worked perfectly. I was a little dubious at first that it may ruin the whole piece if I simply boiled it but it came out perfect.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Flaggy posted:

So my gas grill just quit, and my smoker died earlier this year. Any recommendations on a new grill? Are combo smoker/gas grills worth it or just buy each separately? Looking for recommendations for both in case the combo ones are poo poo.

If you haven't checked it out, look at http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/. That guy is extremely in-depth in everything he does. I can personally vouch for the Weber Genesis line of gas grills, I love mine.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Faithless posted:

Spent 12 hours trying to maintain a good 200-225 on the smoker (Its a brinkmann) before being annoyed and double foiling it into the oven to temp.

Next day I decided to take some advice from Katz's Delicatessen's website which recommends if you buy their pastrami whole to boil it for 2-3 hours until it reaches the level of tenderisation you wish. Have to say that this was a brilliant method which worked perfectly. I was a little dubious at first that it may ruin the whole piece if I simply boiled it but it came out perfect.

Can you post something consolidated about your recipe and process? I'm not a huge beef fan, but I love me some pastrami and corned beef. And besides, man cannot exist on pulled pork and ribs alone!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...eywords=smokers

Thinking about getting this smoker, the reviews seem positive, looks like it will do exactly what I need it too. Any of you use a Masterbuilt? Don't know if I want the 30 or 40 inch one though.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Flaggy posted:

Thinking about getting this smoker, the reviews seem positive, looks like it will do exactly what I need it too. Any of you use a Masterbuilt? Don't know if I want the 30 or 40 inch one though.

I've never used it, can't comment on that, but again I have personally seen them for good prices on craigslist, so if that's an option for you I'd check that first. I don't know if space is an issue, but for $15 I'd get the 40 inch and have the option to fill it, rather than limit any future usage.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KettleWL posted:

I've never used it, can't comment on that, but again I have personally seen them for good prices on craigslist, so if that's an option for you I'd check that first. I don't know if space is an issue, but for $15 I'd get the 40 inch and have the option to fill it, rather than limit any future usage.

Thats what I figured as well. Around here no one uses craigslist, they use FB swap pages, and those are mostly kids clothes unfortunately.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Flaggy posted:

I use mine all the time with propane(Mine looks the same but says you can use charcoal in it too). Well worth the money to me. Can hold a steady temp, plenty of space in the 30" one(two half racks per shelf layed flat).

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Flaggy posted:

I have one. I had a little trouble getting the right smoke at first, but plugging up the holes in the burner pan with tin foil and using wood chunks instead of chips has cleared 95% of that up.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

My neighbour's been busting my rear end ever since he saw my UDS in the basement last month. So I picked up a smallish brisket on Friday night with an eye on a Saturday cook. Blew the dust off the drum, slapped some of my home made rub on the meat, and then got delayed by real life by a few hours. Meat went on at 5pm (ugh), and my neighbour and I smoked pipes and drank whiskey and finally pulled the meat off a little after 1 AM. Put it in some foil, set the alarm for 3AM and ate the best loving brisket of my life.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Faithless posted:

Pretty sure for pastrami you're supposed to steam it after smoking it, but I'm a dumb Yankee and I have no idea, so if it worked for you, gently caress it.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

rigeek posted:

Pretty sure for pastrami you're supposed to steam it after smoking it, but I'm a dumb Yankee and I have no idea, so if it worked for you, gently caress it.

Yeah I tried steaming it but due to lack of equipment it never really works out. Read here...

http://katzsdelicatessen.com/cooking_and_prep

That they recommend boiling their pastrami if you buy it whole. Figured I'd give it a go and it worked perfectly, plus it was way easier.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

Can you post something consolidated about your recipe and process? I'm not a huge beef fan, but I love me some pastrami and corned beef. And besides, man cannot exist on pulled pork and ribs alone!

So this is my second attempt at Pastrami. The first batch I made I failed to cook it right at the last step after smoking and although the flavour was there it was pretty tough. So I’ll let you guys know my process and I apologise for my janky formatting. So….

First I bought a large food grade container such as this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00537PH1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then bought some beef brisket. The butchers was terrible and gave me a terrible cut of meat (England) but I thought gently caress it, it'll do (it did).

Next I followed the brine recipe from this location -

http://frombellytobacon.com/2010/06/05/charcuterie-pastrami/

It recommends using pickling spices and since I don’t really have those to hand I used a blend (by blend I mean I coffee grinded them together) of 1/2 cup coriander seeds, 2 Tbs Mustard seed, 5 bay leafs . Shoved those in the brine then left it brining for 2 weeks in my fridge, turning the meat over every other day (not religiously though).

After 2 weeks I pulled it from the brine, emptied the brine down the sync and filled the container up with water. Then I soaked it for 6 hours, changing the water every 2 hours. You could do this for longer if you wish or just leave it overnight.

After it had soaked, I let the meat dry uncovered in the fridge overnight before adding a rub of that was...

1 cup coarse black pepper (gotta be course ground butchers grade stuff)
1/2 cup crushed juniper berries
few tablespoons each of garlic power/paprika/thyme/coriander (rough estimates.)

And after oiling the meat a little I covered it in the rub and left it another 2 days in the fridge. Mostly to firm up and accept the rub a little more.

Then I smoked it at 200-225 for 12 hours (using mesquite because I was out of cherry), but ended up finishing it in the oven as it was taking forever, mostly due to my inexperience at maintaining a temp with my Brinkmann smoker. When I got it out of the oven I thought I’d totally hosed everything up as it was pretty tough, but after leaving it in the fridge overnight then boiling it for 3 hours it was exactly what I was looking for. Very close to falling to pieces, perfect colour and flavour though. Worth the wait.

Bonus shots of my poo poo smoker and some old pulled pork I was making.

Who thought this was a good idea?

It doesnt even work right.

Faithless fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 31, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got one of the Brinkman electric smokers as a gift. What do I need to know as someone who has never smoked before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Have a lot of patience and allow plenty of time if guests are coming over