Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The thing is I'd rather them vote for Ron Paul/Gary Johnson/Straight Libertarian than Republican and Libertarians tend to do just that.

I gave up on converting them to my side when a friend of mine read my copy of A People's History. He stated it was the best book he ever read but then voted for Romney in the election.

Careful here they might get into bitcoin and ruin that dude's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

sleepingbuddha posted:

This sounds more like schizophrenia than typical conservatism. Or are the two starting to converge?

Starting?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can kind of understand this as if you're already leaning conservative then you might well read A People's History and still conclude that the Democrats are the bad guys

leaning? that's like saying a plank leans flat on the floor.

Given, a good segment of the book details the period of the country's history where the Democratic Party was the party of white Southerners defending slavery but there's plenty of text about the broader 20th century New Deal-Civil Rights Act realignment (the one you usually think of as happening around 1964 - it was more multigenerational with minorities voting D as early as the 30s) and the overall focus on the labor/civil equality struggle really makes me wonder what someone went into the book thinking if they came out thinking Romney specifically was worth a vote.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Maybe they didn't actually finish it, got about 3/4ths of the way through and said "well gosh, this reinforces my idea that the dems are the bad guys" and then gave the book back with out even reading into the 1960s+ ?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah, it's a favorite argument of Republicans to act like history ends in 1964 so that they can smear Democrats as the REAL racists.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Here's a pretty interesting article I found on the Democratic primary losses of "progressive" candidates in Illinois and Maryland.

quote:

The Illinois tenth saw such a proxy fight in late March, in a little watched Congressional primary in Illinois between a Democratic moderate, Brett Schneider, and a self-described progressive and former Obama campaign organizer, Ilya Sheyman. Schneider, backed by the party establishment and officials such as Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, defeated the 25 year old Sheyman, who had the backing of online liberal groups like DFA, the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, Moveon, and various labor unions. Ilya lost by eight points after what looked like a substantial double lead in the polls, in a 62% blue district.

A similar primary took place in Maryland, between a prominent state politician backed by progressive institutional support (including Moveon and labor), Sen. Rob Garagiola, facing a self-funding anti-labor financier John Delaney. Garagiola was utterly destroyed, by 25 points.

Both were brutal. I won’t speak to Maryland, because that race involved an opaque Maryland establishment. Illinois, though, is a little clearer, because the candidate originated from the “netroots”. Turnout in the IL-10 district was 30,000 total, roughly half of what liberal organizers expected. To give you a frame of reference, Moveon alone has 15,000 members in the district, which means that the online group simply could not turn out its own members to vote. The Communications Workers of America were also involved, as was the Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC) and Democracy for America. The PCCC was cheekily named after the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and was designed to replicate and surpass the establishment’s campaign infrastructure, but use it on behalf of progressives. DFA was an outgrowth of Howard Dean’s 2004 anti-war Presidential campaign, and Dean did endorse Sheyman. These groups have millions of members collectively, can raise reasonably large sums of money, generate press, make TV ads, engage in direct mail campaigns, and recruit and run candidates.

Up until the election, all public polling had shown Sheyman leading by double digits, and Sheyman had outraised and out-enthused Schneider. Sheyman had as his platform breaking up the banks, ending various wars, protecting Social Security and Medicare, and marriage equality. He had worked at Moveon, and he proudly called himself a progressive, while attacking Schneider as a closet Republican who had given money to the GOP and voted in Republican primaries. All of the talking points developed in the course of seven or eight years of internet Democratic politics – “bold progressive”, “people-power”, and “progressive” were on display. He lost badly.

Yet in a similar Illinois district, a candidate named David Gill backed by a much smaller and less glamorous group – the Progressive Democrats of America – faced a similar dynamic. He defeated the establishment candidate using a volunteer approach, and won his primary election.

This is an odd split – institutional DC self-described progressive groups with money and glitz – go straight into a buzz saw.

quote:

One, the internet Democrats who emerged in the post-Bush era simply do not know how to turn out votes, and they need to acknowledge and deal with this weakness. It’s clear that there is a market for liberal-ish donors who want to support a political infrastructure that can compete in elections, and there is a media infrastructure available to communicate a message. But the current crop of organizers, while entrepreneurial in some cases (PCCC) and heirs to the work of other innovators (CWA, Moveon), has not cracked the code. There’s an operational element here. Many operational problems came from really bad targeting and messaging that did not work. Organizers need to acknowledge this, change leadership in some cases, and funders need to reorganize priorities around clear political accomplishments. Additionally, political reporters should stop relying on the word of DC internet groups as the voice of “the left”. If you can’t turn out your members to vote, then they aren’t really your members.

Two, the internet Democrats need to understand the basis of George Washington Plunkett politics, which is that votes come from getting voters turkeys at Christmas. Voters want stuff, information on how to live their lives, increased incomes, a better world, tax cuts, the trash picked up regularly, whatever – and if you can’t credibly get it to them, your message is unpersuasive. It’s not that your arguments don’t work, it’s that you aren’t a trusted messenger, and you can’t win in a low-trust fight because low trust channels are dominated by oligarchs. This is why the failure of the internet progressive space to focus on wages or foreclosures from 2006-2010 was so catastrophic. It’s why the fact that health care doesn’t kick in until 2014 carried significant political costs. There simply is no progressive advantage on economic arguments anymore. Sheyman laid out standard left-but-not-too-left policy prescriptions – reimplementing Glass-Steagall, lifting the Social Security cap on earnings, Medicare-for-All, gradual withdrawal from Afghanistan – and they didn’t work. Why would one really junior member of Congress without any substantive record of accomplishment really matter? Why would anyone trust the progressive brand on economics?

The rest of the thing is here: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/07/summer-rerun-left-slice-democrats-getting-crushed.html

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The conservative uproar over immigrant/refugee children from Central America continues to be amusing.

"Obama ship these kids back to their home countries! :argh:"

"That's what we're doing, but there are so goddamn many of them we need more funds to speed up/change the process"

"If we give you money to do it how do we know you just won't ask for more? gently caress you Obama, if we don't ship those kids back now they'll just keep coming!"

"OK, any ideas? Wanna repeal/modify that 2008 law that is affecting the way we handle Central American kids?"

*crickets* "gently caress YOU OBAMA"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OAquinas posted:

OK, this I have to inquire about. Don't feel the need to divulge overly identifying info, but what did Obama personally do to the guy? Run over his cat?

His brother is this guy.

Not that I don't agree with what Obama did, but "he personally fired my brother from one of the most powerful jobs in the military" is a pretty legit personal reason to hate Obama

EDIT: Also just to be clear I'm not one of those people who thinks Obama is awesome and perfect, he has lots of flaws and is a massive disappointment, but he pretty much went on national media and talked about how bad his boss is and his boss is the loving president. Totally get why my boss would be mad after that, but Obama was completely justified.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 14, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shageletic posted:

Here's a pretty interesting article I found on the Democratic primary losses of "progressive" candidates in Illinois and Maryland.

quote:

Why would anyone trust the progressive brand on economics?
The rest of the thing is here: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/07/summer-rerun-left-slice-democrats-getting-crushed.html
Because they're better than the alternative. Aren't people supposed to be short-sighted and adversarial like that? Isn't that the entire point of that paragraph?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

His brother is this guy.

Not that I don't agree with what Obama did, but "he personally fired my brother from one of the most powerful jobs in the military" is a pretty legit personal reason to hate Obama

"He fired my brother for conduct unbecoming of his position" would be harder to accept, I guess.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

His brother is this guy.

McChrystal totally and royally deserved his shitcanning. Talking poo poo about the president in front of a reporter that you think you're all buddy buddy with is just shockingly retarded coming from a general.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

"He fired my brother for conduct unbecoming of his position" would be harder to accept, I guess.

Yeah I'm not saying he's right, just that he has a personal grudge rather than "oh no, liberals!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truly shocking that someone is irrationally defending their family members.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

McChrystal totally and royally deserved his shitcanning. Talking poo poo about the president in front of a reporter that you think you're all buddy buddy with is just shockingly retarded coming from a general.

"You didn't say it was off the record. That's like Journalism 101."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

BUSH 2112 posted:

"You didn't say it was off the record. That's like Journalism 101."

That's one of my favorite parts of Hastings' book. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T SAY IT WAS OFF THE RECORD," McChrystal's staff freaking out after the article is published is hilarious.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's one of my favorite parts of Hastings' book. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T SAY IT WAS OFF THE RECORD," McChrystal's staff freaking out after the article is published is hilarious.

I couldn't find a youtube clip but this scene from Thick of It nails it.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-thick-of-it/videos/episode-2-sneak-peek/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think "off the record" is one of those myths perpetuated by an institution, like "Undercover cops have to tell you they are cops if you ask them" in order to put people at ease.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I think "off the record" is one of those myths perpetuated by an institution, like "Undercover cops have to tell you they are cops if you ask them" in order to put people at ease.
I was watching Patton yesterday, there are like four difference scenes from different times in Patton's career where he is with reporters and says "This is off the record but (thing he should not say)" and the very next scene is people talking about reading it in the newspaper, including German intelligence.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Monkey Fracas posted:

The conservative uproar over immigrant/refugee children from Central America continues to be amusing.

"Obama ship these kids back to their home countries! :argh:"

"That's what we're doing, but there are so goddamn many of them we need more funds to speed up/change the process"

"If we give you money to do it how do we know you just won't ask for more? gently caress you Obama, if we don't ship those kids back now they'll just keep coming!"

"OK, any ideas? Wanna repeal/modify that 2008 law that is affecting the way we handle Central American kids?"

*crickets* "gently caress YOU OBAMA"

They do want to repeal the law and fast track the deportations. They just like to have Obama squirm, don't want to be easily painted as supporting child sex trafficking, and also likely are fighting behind the scenes to attach riders to hobble Obama's current immigration enforcement actions which fall short of their ideal "deport everyone with brown skin or a Spanish/Portuguese accent" strategy.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Can't speak for all news institutions, but when I worked as a reporter "off the record" was for things I was curious about but not really the subject of the story/interview. The journalist gets to offer off-the-record discussion, but it's not something an official can demand. It's also not complicated and probably something you should know if you deal with the press at all ever, which makes that whole saga even more baffling/hilarious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Can't speak for all news institutions, but when I worked as a reporter "off the record" was for things I was curious about but not really the subject of the story/interview. The journalist gets to offer off-the-record discussion, but it's not something an official can demand. It's also not complicated and probably something you should know if you deal with the press at all ever, which makes that whole saga even more baffling/hilarious.

I know what it's for but people think it's a magical incantation that prevents a reporter from revealing knowledge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

It is. There's no legal "off the record" recourse and if anything a reporter telling you any comments would be off the record is all the more reason to just the gently caress up. A friend who's worked in PR for a decade or so tells people "Off the record is bullshit, and anyone saying your comments are off the record only means it until you say something interesting". Anyone believing "off the record" isn't just a way to trick idiots into saying something they shouldn't is wrong.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ppp-poll-john-kasich-ed-fitzgerald-dead-heat

quote:

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) is essentially tied with Democratic challenger Ed FitzGerald in a head-to-head matchup, according to a new Public Policy Polling survey.

The poll found Kasich, who has been mentioned as a possible 2016 presidential candidate, leading FitzGerald 45 percent to 44 percent with 11 percent saying they are unsure.

The poll's findings are welcome news for Fitzgerald. A Quinnipiac poll taken two months earlier found Kasich leading FitzGerald, 50 percent to 35 percent.

The poll was conducted among 889 Ohio voters from July 9 to July 10.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Malmesbury Monster posted:

How many journalists deliberately offer "off the record" with the intent of, you know, recording it? It's the same with police, really. I don't know what kind of police officer I'm dealing with. I don't know what kind of journalist I'm dealing with. I just flat out don't know so if somebody is asking me questions it's best to just assume that every single thing I say will be recorded for eternity and used against me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I always figured the TV Drama style "Okay but off the record what are the administration's plans for X" was bullshit that nobody sensible would actually believe was off the record, and certainly anyone who thinks it's some sort of binding thing is way off base, but a good working relationship with a reporter might allow you to say things 'off the record' not for reporting directly, but in order to put give the reporter the scent of something. Unless the story got really huge, they wouldn't reveal you were a source because it would jeopardize future news from you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How many journalists deliberately offer "off the record" with the intent of, you know, recording it? It's the same with police, really. I don't know what kind of police officer I'm dealing with. I don't know what kind of journalist I'm dealing with. I just flat out don't know so if somebody is asking me questions it's best to just assume that every single thing I say will be recorded for eternity and used against me.

It depends. If you reveal "off the record" stuff, you're totally burned with the source. So it's a calculus of balancing just how juicy the OTR thing was vs. your relationship and access with the person.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

The thing is, respecting a person's right to say their statements are "Off the record" is what gets reporters those statements in the first place. If a journalist reported tomorrow that Bill O'Reily told him off the record that he secretly hates black people and wants them back in chains, it would be a tremendous scoop-but then that journalist would pretty much have to give up on reporting, since none of their sources would ever trust him again not to source their quotes back to them. So, not really a myth, per-say, but more common sense I'd argue.

e:f,b

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mister Adequate posted:

I always figured the TV Drama style "Okay but off the record what are the administration's plans for X" was bullshit that nobody sensible would actually believe was off the record, and certainly anyone who thinks it's some sort of binding thing is way off base, but a good working relationship with a reporter might allow you to say things 'off the record' not for reporting directly, but in order to put give the reporter the scent of something. Unless the story got really huge, they wouldn't reveal you were a source because it would jeopardize future news from you.

You might very well think that, but of course I couldn't possibly comment.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

:lol: Kasich in a dead heat with the worst Democratic candidate in recent history.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

:lol: Kasich in a dead heat with the worst Democratic candidate in recent history.

Terry McAuliffe quit and moved to Ohio?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Was there a job guarantee?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And was replaced by Martha Coakley?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a huge difference between journalist tells source conversation is off the record and source tells journalist conversation is off the record then drops bombshell before journalist can react.

"Off the record" is a type of relationship a responsible journalist can dole out trading on their credibility, but it's not some 5th amendment type thing where you can just invoke it by yourself.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Doctor Butts posted:

Why is he the worst?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

I couldn't find a youtube clip but this scene from Thick of It nails it.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-thick-of-it/videos/episode-2-sneak-peek/
I love Peter Capaldi and the Thick of It so drat much :allears:

Good, can't even begin to say how glad I'll be if Kasich is gone.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

There's a huge difference between journalist tells source conversation is off the record and source tells journalist conversation is off the record then drops bombshell before journalist can react.

"Off the record" is a type of relationship a responsible journalist can dole out trading on their credibility, but it's not some 5th amendment type thing where you can just invoke it by yourself.

Really, off the record is a bad way of saying that the question or conversation isn't relevant or important to the story being written, though I have no doubt there are unethical journalists who use it to trip rookie officials. There's no "off the record" button, just the journalist letting the source know that this isn't material they're planning on using. If the source doesn't want something to be printed, they probably shouldn't say it, because after that it's in the journalist's court.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dystram posted:

Why is he the worst?

Day late and a dollar short with this "Win Tax" proposal that, while it sounded sort of cool, was actually not that great an idea.

Then he did really crappy background checks on his running mate(s), and at least one failed to pay their taxes.

Seems to do everything for publicity first.

The guy got a huge upshot from Lakewood mayor to Cuyahoga County Executive, but he's almost Mandel'ing it to a Governorship.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Much more than Kasich I want to see that attorney general go down after all his fuckery in the 2012 election, namely "why should our voting procedures cater to black people :freep:".

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 14, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Dystram posted:

Why is he the worst?

He's a Democrat involved in state politics in a purple state, all of them are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey now, Terry McAuliffe won, which puts him ahead of a hell of a lot of other Democratic candidates. Admittedly he won by less than 3%, and against Ken Cuccinelli aka the guy who literally campaigned for bringing back sodomy laws, but McAuliffe won.:colbert:

What I'm trying to say is that I hope Ken Cuccinelli decides to start campaigning for Kasich.

• Locked thread