Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is Sgt frog even still a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

EDIT: Additionally 2 more chapters of Soul Catcher(s) got translated.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 29, 2014

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Wakabayashi 4-koma
This whole series cracks me up but I think the love master is my favorite by far

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yeah, any chapters featuring the Love Master are in fact the best. Although there are so many other likable characters in this series.

I can't hate someone who makes all these JoJo's references. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will be very disappointed if the ending to that particular storyline is not her surpassing the love master, who will forever be chasing her afterimages.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm way late to the party on this one, but I was looking through Viz's digital releases for the last few months, and I saw they had released four volumes of a manga I had never heard of with art by Takeshi Obata. I'm such a huge Bakuman fan that I bought all four volumes without reading the free preview, and, well:

Ral Ω Grad has to be the stupidest comic (with great art) that I've ever read. I can't believe I didn't think to look to see who the writer was. I've been waiting forever for the Death Note and Bakuman team to do something else, and I just assumed this was it. Apparently it's a ten-year old tie-in to the Blue Dragon RPG. I have no idea why Viz decided to pull this out of their back catalog in 2013 when great titles like Slam Dunk and Jojo's are still physical-only.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 3, 2014

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Randallteal posted:

I'm way late to the party on this one, but I was looking through Viz's digital releases for the last few months, and I saw they had released four volumes of a manga I had never heard of with art by Takeshi Obata. I'm such a huge Bakuman fan that I bought all four volumes without reading the free preview, and, well:

Ral Ω Grad has to be the stupidest comic (with great art) that I've ever read. I can't believe I didn't think to look to see who the writer was. I've been waiting forever for the Death Note and Bakuman team to do something else, and I just assumed this was it. Apparently it's a ten-year old tie-in to the Blue Dragon RPG. I have no idea why Viz decided to pull this out of their back catalog in 2013 when great titles like Slam Dunk and Jojo's are still physical-only.

Well don't leave us hanging, who won the duel?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Randallteal posted:

Hahahaha I remember reading that years and years ago. It was monumentally stupid, yeah. Isn't the guy who's obsessed with tits a dragon or something?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The important question is, is it stupid in a good way or bad way?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A bad way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The important question is, is it stupid in a good way or bad way?

I remember reading it yet cannot recall anything about it other then the main character is supposed to be a evil yet good guy and something about a dragon's egg.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's nice to see that Narita keeps up his usual trend of having a morally grey cast in Stealth Symphony, even if it did start off pretty standard shonen at the beginning. That assassin was as good as his word. Wish the manga had more time to build up its cast more, since I always liked Baccano and Durarara for building up a fairly varied cast of characters, but it seems Stealth Symphony is rushing towards its ending.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Two new chapters of SKET Dance, finally! Unfortunately, one of them is a chapter where the author attempts to do fanservice, and it's a little awkward. *ahem*

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

It's nice to see that Narita keeps up his usual trend of having a morally grey cast in Stealth Symphony, even if it did start off pretty standard shonen at the beginning. That assassin was as good as his word. Wish the manga had more time to build up its cast more, since I always liked Baccano and Durarara for building up a fairly varied cast of characters, but it seems Stealth Symphony is rushing towards its ending.

What a waste of a good comic. I'm beginning to think my £2 is better spent elsewhere.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 8, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The latest SKET Dance gets a little bit "Yowamushi Pedal" on us! :ssh: Not really.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, in no particular order; the Kenshin chapter told us Shishio is a prick (in other news water is wet), World Trigger is doing nothing, Hunter X Hunter and Nisekoi exist and Stealth Symphony just ends with a wet, chunky, underwear destroying, yet somehow unrelieving shart.

Yeah, I'm done with Jump alpha. It's been a wild year but that's a 8 pack of Irn Bru a month and, unlike Jump, Irn Bru gets you through.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Stealth Symphony ended as well as it could. Other than Illegal Rare, all the new series ended, and Soul Catcher(s) got bumped off into Jump Next sadly, so Shonen Jump has another new set of manga.

Boku no Hero Academia officially started last week actually and seems pretty rad, given it's from the creator of Barrage and Oumagadoki Zoo. Click the link if you can read moonspeak, but I recommend skimming through it since DETROIT SMASH! Premise should be fairly obvious though, kid wants to be a superhero, but has no powers, and everyone around him has powers. Hopefully someone picks it up.

The other two manga haven't offically launched yet, though Mitsukubi Condor starts this week, and Yoakemono starts next week. Mitsukubi Condor basically stars your usual idiot protagonist, this time he's a thief, presumably stealing magical treasure and artifacts from assholes. Also probably has some dark demons in his past par the norm, so your usual shonen manga and can go either way of being good or boring.

I didn't figure out much info about Yoakemono other than it's from the creator of Enma Gavel, and it's starring these dudes who are Shinsengumi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Allarion posted:

Boku no Hero Academia officially started last week actually and seems pretty rad, given it's from the creator of Barrage and Oumagadoki Zoo. Click the link if you can read moonspeak, but I recommend skimming through it since DETROIT SMASH! Premise should be fairly obvious though, kid wants to be a superhero, but has no powers, and everyone around him has powers. Hopefully someone picks it up.

I'm super interested in this because I love seeing Japanese interpretations of western superheroes and the art looks rad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think that stealth symphony could have been something special if it had had time to subtly introduce Sieg's steadily decaying sanity instead of dumping everything together at once. Oh well, time for more shinsengumi wankery.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think that stealth symphony could have been something special if it had had time to subtly introduce Sieg's steadily decaying sanity instead of dumping everything together at once. Oh well, time for more shinsengumi wankery.

The problem is completely in what magazine it was published in. The same comic rag whose "greatest" line this week was, paraphrased, "You stink of semen".

If Stealth Symphony ran in any other anthology, it would still be running.

Also, I'll guarantee you now that the superhero one is next.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It wouldn't be too surprising given his last few series didn't last long either. Course then again, he could strike gold and have Nisekoi-levels of success. It's just a nature of the business that unpopular or unmarketable things tend to get shafted unless they're a favorite of the higher ups. This is true of Western media as well. But you are right that Jump is stricter than other Japanese magazines so Stealth Symphony probably could have done better in another magazine.

Anyways, might as well mention one other series just for completion's sake on Jump's current lineup, which started 2 months ago, Hinomaru Zumo which is basically about sumo wrestling. Not something I'm that interested in, but apparently it's liked enough to have its first ranking be number one last week, which is pretty good considering all the other new series from this year started their ranks either in the middle or low.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

It wouldn't be too surprising given his last few series didn't last long either. Course then again, he could strike gold and have Nisekoi-levels of success. It's just a nature of the business that unpopular or unmarketable things tend to get shafted unless they're a favorite of the higher ups. This is true of Western media as well. But you are right that Jump is stricter than other Japanese magazines so Stealth Symphony probably could have done better in another magazine.

Jump just puts up this image to me that anything that's remotely interesting and not a battle manga (Souma being the noted exception and OP beging the one battle manga I don't mind) is doomed to the two volume gently caress you treatment regardless where everything sits at the end of the day. Just to point one example that's not HxH (for once) Bleach has been farting in the lower half of the rankings for years now and the cartoon's done so the gently caress is it being allowed to spend years writing up it's finalé? More to the point why wasn't it's cheap rip off of the Chapter Black story arc not it's finale?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Jump just puts up this image to me that anything that's remotely interesting and not a battle manga (Souma being the noted exception and OP beging the one battle manga I don't mind) is doomed to the two volume gently caress you treatment regardless where everything sits at the end of the day. Just to point one example that's not HxH (for once) Bleach has been farting in the lower half of the rankings for years now and the cartoon's done so the gently caress is it being allowed to spend years writing up it's finalé? More to the point why wasn't it's cheap rip off of the Chapter Black story arc not it's finale?

If I had to guess, it would be because Bleach's volumes still makes sales despite the drop in popularity it had. To-Love-Ru was in a similar position in that it never ranked well, but its volumes made enough profit that it stuck around till he had to cancel it due to his wife leaving him and he had to take care of his daughter alone. Alternatively, Bleach built up enough good will that Kubo is given freedom to do his final arc for as long as he wants, though I'm inclined toward the former since plenty of other good manga ended up getting rushed endings.

Also to be fair, there's quite a few non-battle manga that generally sit near the top, unless you count sports manga like Kuroko's Basket and Assassination Classroom to be battle manga. Even if you consider those to be battle manga, the most prominent non-battle manga example is PSI Kusuo Saiki though, which is a straight-up absurd comedy manga that has been around for 2 years and has generally always done well in the rankings. There's also the unscanlated samurai comedy Isobe Isobee Monogatari which has consistently sat fairly comfortably above the midline. Anyways, there's always bound to be stuff that gets canceled if they're unpopular or turn out not to be that great, or they're just mismanaged because management doesn't get their appeal. It's just business as usual in any media business.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Does Gin Tama count as a battle manga? I mean, it has battles every now and then, but they're definitely not the focus.

Also, I am really enjoying the current arc, especially Zura's guardian spirit being a Toyota Corolla.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Making broad statements about what can and can't survive in jump is dumb. Remember, death note ran all the way to its lovely end in that magazine. It is a pity that not every manga with potential gets its fair shake, but it is a ridiculously saturated market.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's probably made worse by the line up of Alpha which only consists of the run off Plus One Piece, Toriko (which I don't have an opinion on) and the Monthlies (of which I'm putting One Punch Man in so we're clear). With Symphony gone all it is now is a slog to get to the one OP chapter and maybe Blue Exorcist / Seraph of The End and even at 50p an issue that's not great value IMHO.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's time for good manga. There's a shocking mew development in the latest Blazing Transfer Student. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/258317/blazing-transfer-student_v9_ch81_by_hokuto-no-gun

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wow, I completely missed that the last chapter of Stealth Symphony was, actually, it's last chapter. It really felt like a penultimate chapter, where it ends on some huge climactic cliffhanger and then gets a final chapter to tie up all of the remaining plot, but, nope, apparently the now-insane protagonist gets decapitated and we smash-cut to black.

v Oops, I'm an idiot.

blastron fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 15, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

That was last weeks chapter dude. Try getting manga from the actual source. http://www.vizmanga.com/sjalpha/signup

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

blastron posted:

Wow, I completely missed that the last chapter of Stealth Symphony was, actually, it's last chapter. It really felt like a penultimate chapter, where it ends on some huge climactic cliffhanger and then gets a final chapter to tie up all of the remaining plot, but, nope, apparently the now-insane protagonist gets decapitated and we smash-cut to black.
That's about the size of it, yes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh sweet! Someone finally got back to updating Supernatural Academy (Choujin Gakuen)! I've always loved the unique, offbeat drawing style of this one.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Don't get too excited hat's the last chapter they're going to put out.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Souma probably survives because it IS a battle manga (which are popular), its just not based around fighting. Shokugeki are the battles, there are even little training arcs.

Im not saying thats wrong, its actually smart. It can hit all the tropes of battle manga like One Piece/etc but then doesnt compete directly at all.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone give me a refresher on what's going on in Seven Deadly Sins? I can't keep track of all these holy knights with their goofy names and I have no idea who anyone is besides the princesses and the Sins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Can someone give me a refresher on what's going on in Seven Deadly Sins? I can't keep track of all these holy knights with their goofy names and I have no idea who anyone is besides the princesses and the Sins.

Okay then. There were two holy knights in charge, Dreyfus and Hendricksen. Hendricksen was the guy who was really into the whole demon war thing, though probably not for the previously stated reason of giving the holy knights something to do. Dreyfus just wanted to be in charge, but he more or less cooperated with the demon war plan anyway. Dreyfus has a son, Griamor, who was the late second princess' bodyguard/boyfriend(?). He has done nothing but get chumped every time he shows up. Gilthunder was the first holy knight to appear. He was the first princess' bodyguard/boyfriend, and was only pretending to be evil because she was being held hostage. Jericho was a failed holy knight who used to dress like a man. Her clothes were stolen by Ban because he wanted clothes, and she drank demon blood to get the power to take revenge. She is currently the big monster fighting Diane, but was always kind of nuts. Geera also drank demon blood. Her family was disgraced because her father disappeared, though he was actually an early demon blood experiment that went wrong. She has yet to turn into a monster. Threader is a holy knight who leads a special operations squad who is loyal to the king above all else.

I think that is everyone who is currently important?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
And speaking of Seven Deadly Sins, the first anime teaser commercial is up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RubberLuffy posted:

And speaking of Seven Deadly Sins, the first anime teaser commercial is up.

The artstyle seems to have been preserved pretty well in the anime transition, that's neat.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Hmm! I like Seven Deadly Sins, though with some caveats (like the fanservice). But it's not often you see a giantess as a main character. I'm still sad the cool tomboy princess died, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Plug-In Girl is apparently ending in a few chapters, which makes all the setup it had for an expanded world dissipate in a puff of failure. What a wet fart of a series. Great art and designs but not much else!