Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:lol: what the gently caress Archie has multiple timelines now? Was there an Age of Apocalypse style event or something?

Edit: Also leave it up to Archie comics to cocktease the betty/veronica choice even AFTER he marries one/both/wtf

I'm surprised that anyone actually cares that much about Archie to begin with. Who reads it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:lol: what the gently caress Archie has multiple timelines now? Was there an Age of Apocalypse style event or something?

Edit: Also leave it up to Archie comics to cocktease the betty/veronica choice even AFTER he marries one/both/wtf

Maybe Archie is waiting for bigamy to be made legal and announce his proposal to both?

I think there was a lot of "Superman Imaginary Stories" type things that started to get churned out in the last 15 years of various types of potential Archie timelines and universes. There's even one where Archie is beset by zombies and has to kill them.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Crisis of Infinite Archies.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Sorry, I thought it was him. It is I who is truly the racist. :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's also an ongoing Archie zombies series, "Afterlife With Archie".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I remember that the writer/owner of the Archie comics is a shitlord, but I can't remember about what specifically. :(

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Phone posted:

I remember that the writer/owner of the Archie comics is a shitlord, but I can't remember about what specifically. :(

I think she was creating a hostile work environment for male employees and referring to them as 'penis' instead of their actual names.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I have run across at least one teenager who is way into Archie. I didn't even know what to say.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Technical Analysis posted:

When I was unemployed it was more the monotony of searching for a job everyday and being bored off my rear end that was the emotional drag. That and still making sure the bills got paid.

Yeah...same. For me it was the contradiction between having all the time in the world to do what i wanted and no money to do it with. It was the exact opposite problem I had when I was making really decent money ($50k/yr in 2000 in Atlanta) but I was working 60 - 70 hours a week so I never had time to enjoy the city or make friends.

It is an odd feeling and it is loving monotonous trying to find ways to write the same tired cover letter over and over, tailored to whatever it is you think that company is looking for. Another thing I learned during that period was how important it was to have up to date equipment and how, in many ways, you almost needed to HAVE money in the first place just to job seek. It was nearly impossible unless you had a computer, internet connection, printer, etc. Also, knowing people is so very important. I had moved to Atlanta to take that job and hadn't made many friends or connections because all I did was work it seemed.

When I moved back to Jacksonville, FL I found a job in two weeks just through word of mouth.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think she was creating a hostile work environment for male employees and referring to them as 'penis' instead of their actual names.

That's it. I remembered it was weird and off the beaten path.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

edit: eh, should've refreshed, new page

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
For the rest of you wondering about the Archie Co-CEO penis stuff:

quote:

as reported in 2011 by TMZ, the lawsuit stated that in 2009, Silberkleit "barged into a meeting, 'pointed to each [attendee] and said, 'PENIS, PENIS, PENIS, PENIS' and then walked out.' Nancy allegedly pulled the same 'penis' stunt again in 2010—but this time she also screamed out, 'My balls hurt.'"

http://www.cimino-law.com/blog/2013/12/gender-discrimination-suit-filed-against-co-ceo-of-archie-comics.shtml
http://thehairpin.com/2014/01/penis-penis-penis-the-legend-of-nancy-silberkleit

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I blame the Punisher. Ever since his Archie crossover the insanity of superhero comics has slowly but inexorably been leaking into Riverdale. Alternate timeline zombies are only the beginning.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

I have run across at least one teenager who is way into Archie. I didn't even know what to say.

There's no need to say anything, just firmly push a noose into their hands.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Is that sonic?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

Is that sonic?

No, move along.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Crowsbeak posted:

Is that sonic?

Yes, yes it is. They do a comic series for sonic also, and he has appeared in Archie and some of their other ones

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's a Sonic _decoration_. He's not in the comic.

I should point out that Riverdale is literally _in_ the Bronx these days. 255th street or so. Given the location of Archie Publishing, it's pretty sure that is, in fact, Riverdale. It's not very nice anymore. Used to be a bedroom community for people commuting to Manhattan back in the day, though.

So the concept of the Punisher coming out actually works pretty well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well there's even a newspaper comic version of Archie and they stopped making new strips a few years ago so it still runs as reruns of strips from the 1990s - that get randomly updated to try to not look as dated as they are.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This derail has proven Archie is awesome and even the non awesome part at least sounded kind of funny. Boo to everyone Archie shaming. Without even making disclaimers that you aren't also slagging Jughead double digests. For shaaaaaaaame. You penises.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Warcabbit posted:

It's a Sonic _decoration_. He's not in the comic.

I should point out that Riverdale is literally _in_ the Bronx these days. 255th street or so. Given the location of Archie Publishing, it's pretty sure that is, in fact, Riverdale. It's not very nice anymore. Used to be a bedroom community for people commuting to Manhattan back in the day, though.

So the concept of the Punisher coming out actually works pretty well.

What do you mean by "these days"? Riverdale the real neighborhood has been part of the Bronx forever. I lived there in the 80s. Or do you mean Archie's town is now supposed to be that neighborhood and not some town in Middle America?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Being unemployed is the worst poo poo on earth. I'm too goddamn poor to afford a loving haircut, got an interview tomorrow, and I won't get the spot because I'm suppose to pull myself up by my bootstraps, and what? Cut my own goddamn hair?

gently caress this country. gently caress every Republican piece of poo poo. They can burn.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 14, 2014

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't think it's that.

I actually feel better physically when I would be doing something related to exercise, or doing an activity. Doesn't matter if I'm unpaid or not. (Volunteering, assisting others with a project).

There's nothing wrong with hard work. Hard work can be a very good thing if the person doing it is compensated well enough, has a safe work environment, and is not "over worked". There is something wrong with Hard work when all three of those things are not met at even a basic level.

That doesn't contradict what I said. There's definitely work that can be satisfying on its own. When I volunteer it satisfies me because it's making a positive change in the world. But if I were in a less privileged position I wouldn't have the luxury of doing it as much, if at all. Financial security plays a huge role in my ability to perform unpaid labor.

Hard work in and of itself is not evil. My issue is with work extorted from people with the threat of poverty.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

7thBatallion posted:

Being unemployed is the worst poo poo on earth. I'm too goddamn poor to afford a loving haircut, got an interview tomorrow, and I won't get the spot because I'm suppose to pull myself up by my bootstraps, and what? City own goddamn hair?

gently caress this country. gently caress every Republican piece of poo poo. They can burn.

If you're willing to gamble you could post pretty much exactly that on CL and find someone to do it free/cheap.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

7thBatallion posted:

Being unemployed is the worst poo poo on earth. I'm too goddamn poor to afford a loving haircut, got an interview tomorrow, and I won't get the spot because I'm suppose to pull myself up by my bootstraps, and what? Cut my own goddamn hair?

If you've got one where you live, hairdresser schools can get you a cheap haircut, or possibly even a free one, because the students need people to practice on. I used to go to the hairdressing school down the street from me for a few years for a haircut for 5 bucks, and never ended up with anything that wasn't presentable.

If not a school, like Intel&Sebastian said, maybe Criagslist... There's got to be someone in your town who wants to cut hair for a living... Maybe you can hook up with a hairdresser who needs an interview partner of their own. Many salons require prospective hires to bring in someone for a haircut in front of the boss. You'd get a free cut, and you'd be helping someone else get a job. :)

I mean, tomorrow is a bit short notice, of course, but maybe next time?

You can do it. Unemployment is the worst, but you can pull through.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

So today a panel of CNBC talking heads calmly and firmly told Rick Santelli that he's a complete moron about predicting the market, and Santelli reacted like a coked-up lunatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU9U3ZnAD5E

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Yes, if you're despondent and penniless it should be easy for you to cultivate a relationship with an aspiring hairdresser hours before an interview. Common sense solutions.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

This is why people need to have good relationships with their barber/stylist. If they know you and don't work for a chain, they will usually give you an interview haircut free or on credit. They know you are good for it and, bonus, have just cemented your absolute loyalty to them.

Look your best, go to a nicer place and see if they'll hook you up.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

moller posted:

Yes, if you're despondent and penniless it should be easy for you to cultivate a relationship with an aspiring hairdresser hours before an interview. Common sense solutions.

Yeah, I missed the "tomorrow" part at first.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So today a panel of CNBC talking heads calmly and firmly told Rick Santelli that he's a complete moron about predicting the market, and Santelli reacted like a coked-up lunatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU9U3ZnAD5E

I always wonder why this doesn't happen more often.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Shbobdb posted:

This is why people need to have good relationships with their barber/stylist. If they know you and don't work for a chain, they will usually give you an interview haircut free or on credit. They know you are good for it and, bonus, have just cemented your absolute loyalty to them.

Look your best, go to a nicer place and see if they'll hook you up.

For the past ten years I've basically lived paycheck to paycheck. My stylist is whoever is the cheapest at the moment.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I know it's not stylish, and I know some places will always look down on an applicant with a homemade haircut, but try to get a cheap set of clippers and buzz it yourself*. I did that for a while and it worked out pretty good. I looked "clean cut" rather than unkempt. I know that the price of a cheap set of clippers may be out of reach. But it's a worthwhile investment, if you can.

* mileage may vary for the ladies

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
:bahgawd: I haven't been to a barber in over 20 years!
You can get some clippers for around $25, a cheap hand held mirror and then go to town. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it but it's well worth it if you don't mind having short hair.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You don't really need a relationship with anybody for the school suggestion (which is probably your best route if you have transportation). Just call, explain your situation and ask if it's possible to get a free/cheap haircut.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Shave it off.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I used to get haircuts at a school. No need to worry about it getting screwed up because if it is really bad, a teacher will fix it for you.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I used to do this while searching for a job, but someone finally suggested to me that a big bald white guy in Mississippi might kind of look like a Nazi to my frequently PoC interviewers. I finally met a hairdresser in a social context, and she agreed to help me out for free. Next interview, I got the job. Maybe a coincidence, but I'm never gonna go shaved again while looking for work.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

PeterWeller posted:

What do you mean by "these days"? Riverdale the real neighborhood has been part of the Bronx forever. I lived there in the 80s. Or do you mean Archie's town is now supposed to be that neighborhood and not some town in Middle America?

I mean 'in 1941 when some guys in Mamaroneck, NY, started writing a comic.' It's always been there, plus or minus. It's just that it wasn't so much inside the city back then. Go here, http://www.1940snewyork.com/ type in Riverdale in the search box, then click on the photo. You'll see something that looks remarkably like Mr. Lodge's house as the 'Northeast corner of Fieldstone Road and 246th Street'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You don't really need a relationship with anybody for the school suggestion (which is probably your best route if you have transportation). Just call, explain your situation and ask if it's possible to get a free/cheap haircut.

Yea there's no 'friendship' required, most schools will take a dude who says 'yo I got an interview for work tomorrow I got no job and no money, can I get some help'. It's not some cabal thing where you have to know the handshake.