Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Has the bug where dwarves haul an entire 40 ton box full of poo poo down to the depths of the fortress to pick up a single -obsidian mug- before taking the bin back up to the stockpile only to drop it for a half second before picking it up again because they realized there was also a =basalt ring= beside the mug been fixed since 40.01?

Look in d_init.txt and check out the binning/barreling zeal options. If I'm reading this confusing explanation right, very small numbers should curb the dwarves' eagerness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

TasmanianX posted:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6784

Somehow related to this. I know I had plenty of brewable items, including the new plants, but the option was redded out in the Still.

Isn't this just the same hauling bug that effects cooking in the kitchen and planting as well? A dwarf intends to get a seed or mushroom out of a barrel but before he can some other dwarf picks it up to take something out of it and the job is cancelled? I thought waves of red brew/plant/cook cancellation messages were just a thing that's been there since the game became 3D.

It seems like you can get a manager up and running immediately though, and the manager's work orders ameliorate the cancellations effects though the warnings are still spammed to your buffer. You can also get really tricky with stockpile transfers, forbid barrels/bins, etc.

moller fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 14, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

scamtank posted:

Look in d_init.txt and check out the binning/barreling zeal options. If I'm reading this confusing explanation right, very small numbers should curb the dwarves' eagerness.

That must be something that was either added or removed; I don't have those options at all in 40.01.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2ajsoy/dwarf_therapist_df_v04001_success/

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
So for my fortress now I'm keeping several stockpiles of humanoid corpses surrounding the only stairwell to the surface and I'm getting light span of Cancelled job; horrified. However it does seem to slowly increase the Discipline and Observer stats of affected dwarves so this may be a viable way to get your entire fortress to not be in fear of any animal they see, though your productivity will suffer for a while.

Also "Libash Keskaldeg, Ranger cancels Hunt: Interrupted by Giant Sparrow."
There's only one thing to hunt on the map, the sparrow, and he got interrupted by it so he stopped hunting.
It was inevitable.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 14, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Gus Hobbleton posted:

That must be something that was either added or removed; I don't have those options at all in 40.01.

They're still there, they're these:
[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

TehKeen posted:

So I've just started playing again on .34 while waiting for therapist to update, but I'm having an impossible time trying to get both iron ores and flux stone in the same embark regardless of how I set up worldgen. I know that I should aim for sedimentary layers but I'm not quite sure how to reliably find them. Does anyone have any advice?

^^ edit: I can't wait to see half-halfling half-umber hulk hybrids from straight outta Bastards & Bloodlines. :v: ^^

I know this is late. With how much mineral do you create the world? Frequent, Sparse, etc?

e: Also, if you are at the embard screen and put the cursor over a region, I think you can use DFHack and type "prospect".
It will tell you how much of what is in that area.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm a big dummy, so tell me : does this mean we can expect a windows DT shortly or do they use completely different offsets and such?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also keep in mind that DF world gen uses a semi-realistic geological model. Iron deposits are generally found in soil, so you will be more likely to find them on flat alluvial plains and less likely to find them in the tall mountains. I think this contributes to the tendency to get dwarven civs that lack iron or steel during worldgen (and therefore don't have iron/steel items to take in the embark screen).

Going for a shallower (nearer to the coast) site will also mean fewer levels between the surface and the caverns/magma sea, because the magma sea is at a set level worldwide and the continental mountain ranges rise up above that bottom level.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Nah, I just checked and it's included in 40.01.

[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

The more general problem of "dwarf hauls entire bin out to retrieve one sock, ignoring the second sock right beside it, and the hauls the entire bin back to the stockpile" tends to diminish over time. The game has a queue of hauling tasks, and any dwarf who picks up a container can "intelligently" gather several items in one trip. The big obstacle is that the maximum number of enqueued tasks is based on the number of haulers in your fort - so your queue might consist of a "haul one seed" and a "haul one sock" task. During the early game (when manpower is at a premium) you're most likely to see stupid/wasteful trips. Fiddling with the config options won't fix that; you're better off simply excluding containers from stockpiles wherever it's feasible to do so, until you get an influx of migrants and you can start organizing poo poo properly.

Or just setup some minecart routes and dump-enabled Track Stops so that you can pile everything into 1x1 stockpiles and ignore bins forever.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh okay, I was looking for SOMETHING_ZEAL. I'll try loving with those.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Excelzior posted:

I'm a big dummy, so tell me : does this mean we can expect a windows DT shortly or do they use completely different offsets and such?

I don't really know but from what I can see it shouldn't be too far behind.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Bronze colossus adventurers are hilarious. I just beat a goblin to death with the mangled corpse of another goblin, picked up that goblin's corpse in my other hand, then threw them both at a third goblin, killing it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
In adventure mode is the new character taken from historic figures or does it still spawn a fully formed being from nothing?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Uncle Jam posted:

In adventure mode is the new character taken from historic figures or does it still spawn a fully formed being from nothing?

Kind of half-and-half. They're spawned from the ether, but they are inserted into some civilization as a citizen if you so desire. So you'll be a member of a community that you are (theoretically) obligated to and have established preexisting contacts, but for all intents and purposes you just sprang out of Zeus's noggin.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Mister Bates posted:

Bronze colossus adventurers are hilarious. I just beat a goblin to death with the mangled corpse of another goblin, picked up that goblin's corpse in my other hand, then threw them both at a third goblin, killing it.

Remind me what edits I need to make to the RAWs to allow me to stomp around like this.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Michaellaneous posted:

I know this is late. With how much mineral do you create the world? Frequent, Sparse, etc?

e: Also, if you are at the embard screen and put the cursor over a region, I think you can use DFHack and type "prospect".
It will tell you how much of what is in that area.

Stock, so sparse - and yeah, that's how I've been verifying that I'm not getting any iron ever. :(

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Neurion posted:

Remind me what edits I need to make to the RAWs to allow me to stomp around like this.

The most simple and basic way is to go into your entity_default file in the raw folder and add this to the end of it:

code:
[ENTITY:CHEATING]
	[CREATURE:COLOSSUS_BRONZE]
	[TRANSLATION:DWARF]
	[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
Note that this doesn't let you form groups or take over sites, your character will just go 'I've forgotten my bold pronouncement...' if you do. It's still sufficient for turning the game into Godzilla Simulator 2014, though. You'll need to gen a new world.

e: Hahaha, holy poo poo, a person moving at sufficient speed who slams into another person will send that person flying as well. I just kicked a person into a crowd of other people and they were scattered like bowling pins.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 15, 2014

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So I am a huge loving baby who can't figure out what is going on with the dfint stuff, can somebody hold my hand and tell me what files to put where and what batches to execute and poo poo like that?

I haven't even looked at this game in years, and I think I fiddled with DFHack once maybe a century ago or so. I'm executing files at random and getting error messages all over my terminal and I don't think that I'm going to get very far like that. And the instruct.txt file is all in russian...

E: Wait no I am a dumbass and downloaded the repository. Yeah running the source code won't work. Duh.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 15, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
naughty gif

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
no stubby tails 4/5

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Capt Duck linked a version of Dwarf Therapist that works partially with .03 http://www.mediafire.com/download/1le3tt4uwkmft1h/DwarfTherapist-0.6.12.zip

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mister Bates posted:

The most simple and basic way is to go into your entity_default file in the raw folder and add this to the end of it:

code:
	[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]

Thanks!

e. Har har!

I guess you can say that about a talking wagon.

e2. Ahahaha, I retired my wagon and now it's hanging around wearing socks and sandals on it's wheels.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 15, 2014

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kennel posted:

Thanks!

e. Har har!

e2. Ahahaha, I retired my wagon and now it's hanging around wearing socks and sandals on it's wheels.

Of all the bizarre things in DF, the fact that wagons are STILL animals literally years after vehicles were added to the game has to be one of my favorites.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

e: I should probably start linking to the actual utility so people won't have to extrude the whole Masterwork package to get their hands on it:
https://bitbucket.org/dfint/df-i18n/downloads

Do you know how they generate the string dump? I'm playing with DT offsets and I need to compare with 0.34.11's string layout, I think.

Edit: oh, never mind, looks like CaptDuck is ahead of me. Yay!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 15, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else seen flying creatures plummeting out of the sky for seemingly no reason? Some bull mosquitos showed up, and a few days later I noticed one of them dead in the ocean. I checked the combat log and all it had was some messages about it being injured by the force of an impact, which I assumed to be hitting the ground. Not sure how that happended, but figured maybe it was some weird interaction with a flying creature skimming the ocean and hitting a wave or something. Few weeks later, I see a white stork corpse out in the mountains. It too seemed to have fallen out of the sky, and there was nothing that could of hit it over there. Its like these creatures just decided to stop flying and fell to their death.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

Its like these creatures just decided to stop flying and fell to their death.

It was inevitable.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its like these creatures just decided to stop flying and fell to their death.

I don't care one way or another.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone else seen flying creatures plummeting out of the sky for seemingly no reason? Some bull mosquitos showed up, and a few days later I noticed one of them dead in the ocean. I checked the combat log and all it had was some messages about it being injured by the force of an impact, which I assumed to be hitting the ground. Not sure how that happended, but figured maybe it was some weird interaction with a flying creature skimming the ocean and hitting a wave or something. Few weeks later, I see a white stork corpse out in the mountains. It too seemed to have fallen out of the sky, and there was nothing that could of hit it over there. Its like these creatures just decided to stop flying and fell to their death.

related : creatures haven't quite gotten the hang of "not slamming into trees" quite yet. see alo: dwarves compulsively climbing up and then falling down, severely injuring themselves in the process.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nice twerk titan you got there.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I founded a fort for a dwarf civ that lost its last site 140 years before.

Are all the migrants I'm getting spawning from the ether or are they random dwarves living in human\elf\gobbo kingdoms coming to live in a dwarf society?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Are all the migrants I'm getting spawning from the ether or are they random dwarves living in human\elf\gobbo kingdoms coming to live in a dwarf society?

How many waves did you get?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

you'll get two randomly-generated dwarf waves, the first caravan..then nothing

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Kennel posted:

Thanks!

e. Har har!

This is pretty much the most amazing thing ever. Can you actually travel around and fight things as a wagon?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is pretty much the most amazing thing ever. Can you actually travel around and fight things as a wagon?

You can travel (need to fast travel to get out of the starting building) but can't attack or be attacked. I managed to kill a wagon by throwing an axe but melee attacks didn't give any kind of message.

And for some reason I can't make a claim for a site:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Kennel posted:

You can travel (need to fast travel to get out of the starting building) but can't attack or be attacked. I managed to kill a wagon by throwing an axe but melee attacks didn't give any kind of message.

And for some reason I can't make a claim for a site:

Mister Bates posted:

code:
	[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
Note that this doesn't let you form groups or take over sites, your character will just go 'I've forgotten my bold pronouncement...' if you do. It's still sufficient for turning the game into Godzilla Simulator 2014, though. You'll need to gen a new world.

e: Hahaha, holy poo poo, a person moving at sufficient speed who slams into another person will send that person flying as well. I just kicked a person into a crowd of other people and they were scattered like bowling pins.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Dwarf Fortress: Bronze Colossus Rampage edition is never going to get old. It's like blowing off steam in Grand Theft Auto except I'm a fifty-foot-tall naked metal man. I'm punting people across the map, running full-tilt all over the place and never slowing down, and sending people skidding along the ground so fast when I punch them that it rips their limbs off. A group of six people finally worked up the nerve to draw real weapons and attack me earlier, and I responded by casually punching all of them in the face so hard their heads exploded.

I need to find out which entity tokens let you lay claim to sites, so I can rule as an angry, vengeful bronze god over the people I didn't feel like punting.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Now we just need figure out how to bodge in a Slade Colossus so you can weigh approximately as much as the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I don't think I even want to kill this person anymore, anyone that superhumanly badass kind of deserves to live.