Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

Take the card out of the PI and put it into a card reader. You might need to boot your computer with a linux live CD.

The only thing I can see is the bootloader filesystem though, not the filesystem of my operating system. I'm on of OS X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Mantle posted:

The only thing I can see is the bootloader filesystem though, not the filesystem of my operating system. I'm on of OS X.

I don't think OSX has native support for EXT2/3 file systems (where the data is), the bootloader partition is all FAT32.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Mantle posted:

The root fs is ext2/ext3. You have to either install the extf2 filesystem drivers in your mac (check http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-ext2/) or use a linux virtual machine (under parallels, vmware or virtualbox) to access the SDcard. If you use a virtual machine, take into account that the SD reader in the post 2011 macbook pros can not be shared with the virtual machines, so you have to use a card reader plugged into an USB connection.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like someone managed to port the Firefox OS to the Raspberry Pi.

https://www.philipp-wagner.com/blog/2013/04/firefox-os-for-raspberry-pi-now-available/#oo

No peripherals work so basically it functions like a glorified menu for a monitor.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Looking to see if anybody's has this problem.

I can get RCA and HDMI safe mode to work in NOOBS. When I try to get regular HDMI to work on my TV, it works for a second and a half and then the screen goes no input detected. Regular HDMI works on my monitor. No idea what's going on.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
TVs are pretty strict about the settings/timing of their inputs whereas monitors typically aren't. You should be able to play around with the settings to get something the tv likes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I wanted to download unzip onto my Fedora Remix 18 and the scottland.blabla server is down. Is there any new repo?

I also tried to install Pidora, but the install gets stuck at Date and Time. I can hit the button, then it just lags and never proceeds.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
Does anyone here have the RPi 5MP camera module? I'd like some example photos taken at highest res so I can see the quality of image. I've done some googling but haven't seen much.

Thanks!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Here's an example:

The quality is good, but I've noticed some noise probably because the wires are exposed and picking up stray signals.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Here's an example:

The quality is good, but I've noticed some noise probably because the wires are exposed and picking up stray signals.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
edit: moving post

Mr. Bubbles fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 11, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mod sassinator posted:

Here's an example:

Cool clock, was that a home built project or did you purchase it? How well do the LED projections handle the seconds hand?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

YouTuber posted:

Cool clock, was that a home built project or did you purchase it? How well do the LED projections handle the seconds hand?

It's this kit: http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/156-bulbdial The hands actually work really well. It's kind of a pain to solder since there are so many LEDs, but if you have a decent soldering station it shouldn't be a problem (and is really good practice).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This hasn't been officially announced but hackaday reposted this article about someone being shipped a Raspberry Pi B+ which is a new revision (the original is: http://www.zlham.geek.nz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=272 but it's being hammered):
http://hackaday.com/2014/07/13/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-b/

Commenters have posted the datasheet:
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/12de/0900766b812decd9.pdf

The main differences seem to be a switching power supply, 40 pin connector (27 as GPIO), 4x USB 2.0 connectors and just a generally better layout. Notable lack of a composite video RCA jack has speculation about the audio output being a 4 pole port with composite video being added to it, but there's no confirmation yet. Unfortunately the CPU is still 700mhz single core, but at least the layout is much better.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

Rexxed posted:

This hasn't been officially announced but hackaday reposted this article about someone being shipped a Raspberry Pi B+ which is a new revision (the original is: http://www.zlham.geek.nz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=272 but it's being hammered):

The main differences seem to be a switching power supply, 40 pin connector (27 as GPIO), 4x USB 2.0 connectors and just a generally better layout. Notable lack of a composite video RCA jack has speculation about the audio output being a 4 pole port with composite video being added to it, but there's no confirmation yet. Unfortunately the CPU is still 700mhz single core, but at least the layout is much better.

What are the benefits of a switching power supply?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mr. Bubbles posted:

What are the benefits of a switching power supply?

Better efficiency (and possibly more flexible input voltages depending on the design) than the linear regulator it had before.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Which means no hub for some applications.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Rexxed posted:

Welp, it's official.

quote:

In the two years since we launched the current Raspberry Pi Model B, we’ve often talked about our intention to do one more hardware revision to incorporate the numerous small improvements people have been asking for. This isn’t a “Raspberry Pi 2″, but rather the final evolution of the original Raspberry Pi. Today, I’m very pleased to be able to announce the immediate availability, at $35 – it’s still the same price, of what we’re calling the Raspberry Pi Model B+.

The Model B+ uses the same BCM2835 application processor as the Model B. It runs the same software, and still has 512MB RAM; but James and the team have made the following key improvements:

• More GPIO. The GPIO header has grown to 40 pins, while retaining the same pinout for the first 26 pins as the Model B.
  • More USB. We now have 4 USB 2.0 ports, compared to 2 on the Model B, and better hotplug and overcurrent behaviour.
  • Micro SD. The old friction-fit SD card socket has been replaced with a much nicer push-push micro SD version.
  • Lower power consumption. By replacing linear regulators with switching ones we’ve reduced power consumption by between 0.5W and 1W.
  • Better audio. The audio circuit incorporates a dedicated low-noise power supply.
  • Neater form factor. We’ve aligned the USB connectors with the board edge, moved composite video onto the 3.5mm jack, and added four squarely-placed mounting holes.

If you’re interested in precise measurements, or want to find out what the new GPIO does, check out the diagrams below.

Mechanical specs: you’ll want to look at these if you’re building cases or other housing. Click to enlarge.

GPIO diagram – there’s a lot more to play with now! Click to enlarge.

We think you’re going to love Model B+, but to ensure continuity of supply for our industrial customers we’ll be keeping Model B in production for as long as there’s demand for it.

The B+ is available from this morning from many of the regular Raspberry Pi stockists. If you want to go direct to our two main manufacturing partners, you’ll find it at Farnell/element14/Newark here, and at RS/Allied Components here.
I think I'm going to pick one of these up just for the added USB and better MicroSD slot.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm guessing the old cases won't work for the new board, correct? What was in place of the 2 new USB ports before?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

No, they won't - the extra USB ports are where the onboard LEDs used to be.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rexxed posted:

This hasn't been officially announced but hackaday reposted this article about someone being shipped a Raspberry Pi B+ which is a new revision (the original is:

So there's now 3 different connectors/pinouts between various Pi revisions?

I still don't think this is enough to push back the tide of better-specced competitors that have come out over the last couple years. It's "something for nothing" in the sense that they're at least not raising their prices on the new revision, but comparing it apples-to-apples with other mini-PCs (adding a flash card and power adapter, say $60 total) it's still underspecced.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 14, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

So there's now 3 different connectors/pinouts between various Pi revisions?

I still don't think this is enough to push back the tide of better-specced competitors that have come out over the last couple years. It's "something for nothing" in the sense that they're at least not raising their prices on the new revision, but comparing it apples-to-apples with other mini-PCs (adding a flash card and power adapter) it's probably closer to a $60 price point realistically, and it just seems under-specced for that price range. For $50-100 you can get a faster ARM mini-PC or Beaglebone, in the $100-150 there's Parallela and PC-Engine or low-spec NUC machines , and in the $150-225 there's the Nvidia Jetson TK-1 PC-on-board or Shuttle DS-437 machines.

Just comparing to a beaglebone black, the only stuff that gets added in the beaglebone box is a usb cable and 4gb sd card (which is useless if you wanted a bigger sd card), for $20 more. Either product seems like a fair value for me, but if +$20 isn't much then definitely go for the beaglebone.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm just a little bummed out by my experience with Pis. The hardware was mediocre, the reliability and the software support never measured up and if I could turn back the clock I'd have been better off aiming a little higher and getting a low-power x86 machine to handle the always-on server type roles I'd envisioned, which would have cost me about the same. That said I'm going to give them another shot. I'm out of Dropbox space, so I'm thinking seriously about setting up a Syncthing share and the Pi seems like it'd be fine for that, plus maybe running a SSH server to let me tunnel through to other stuff in my network.

Yeah definitely.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Can some EE guys explain why they wouldn't have added analog pins to the GPIO? Is it a SoC limitation?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't think analog pins (other than audio, I guess) are much of a thing for SoCs. They'd have to add special chips, which adds cost.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Especially for the type of SoC the Raspberry Pi is based off of, which is essentially ripped straight from a nearly decade old cell phone.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I was wondering if there are any good really small, inexpensive and low powered boards like the Raspberry Pi but instead of focusing on GPIO or graphics, the board instead had better I/O and processor performance and compatibility with SATA hard drives? x86 would be nice since I've had a lot of fun with the pi, but having to deal with the issues of compiling code to a less popular platform made for a few more troubles than I'd like. I'd like to have something like a Pi that'd work better for stuff like NAS, Usenet, playing with a LAMP stack,
or running things like Quassel (an IRC client that uses a server to host persistent connections to chat that you can reach via your phone or laptop on the go) or TTR (Tiny Tiny RSS reader).

It seems like those things all "worked" on the pi, but I always got disappointing, laggy results, either because of the slow IO to SD cards or USB hard drives, or because the single core CPU just couldn't keep up with the demands. I wasn't running all of those things at once, of course, but one at a time, they were still disappointing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You sound like you're thissss close to needing an Intel NUC or similar device: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Computing-Gigabit-i3-3217U-DC3217IYE/dp/B0093LINVK

You get bumped up to a full Core i3, it's super compact, it will use real peripherals and in general is much more reliable for your needs. But it is $240.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TVarmy posted:

I was wondering if there are any good really small, inexpensive and low powered boards like the Raspberry Pi but instead of focusing on GPIO or graphics, the board instead had better I/O and processor performance and compatibility with SATA hard drives?

This actually just came up in a Slashdot topic.

The answers were roughly:

• Intel NUC
  • Shuttle DS437 (same idea)
  • PC-Engines APU
  • NVIDIA Jetson TK-1

I don't think the APU can boot directly from SATA, so you'd need either mSATA or some kind of SD-card based bootloader.

I think the NUC or a shuttle box is probably the best option.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

hifi posted:

Just comparing to a beaglebone black, the only stuff that gets added in the beaglebone box is a usb cable and 4gb sd card (which is useless if you wanted a bigger sd card), for $20 more. Either product seems like a fair value for me, but if +$20 isn't much then definitely go for the beaglebone.
What good is having a superior board (and the BBB is definitely nicer than the RPi) if it's not available anywhere? I just checked a few of their official distributors and all are backordered at least 8 weeks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TVarmy posted:

I was wondering if there are any good really small, inexpensive and low powered boards like the Raspberry Pi but instead of focusing on GPIO or graphics, the board instead had better I/O and processor performance and compatibility with SATA hard drives?

PCDuino makes some models in the $50-120 range that have SATA ports on them and use the very common ("standard") A10 and A20 allwinner chips

This one is $77 and has a SATA port, also has arduino pinouts and wifi, runs ubuntu
http://store.cutedigi.com/pcduino3-a20-single-board-computer-supports-arduino-programming/

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Phoneposting and can't price check, but a minnowboard might Sutro your needs?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

ante posted:

I don't think analog pins (other than audio, I guess) are much of a thing for SoCs. They'd have to add special chips, which adds cost.

Check out the BeagleBone Black, it has 7 analog inputs with 12 bit resolution. The only annoying thing is they ONLY measure in the range 0-1.8v, so you need to get your sensors etc. into that range. Don't exceed 1.8v or they can be damaged.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Check out the BeagleBone Black, it has 7 analog inputs with 12 bit resolution. The only annoying thing is

The only annoying thing is that they're never in stock. Get ready for a 6 week wait time...

The new Debian OS release is heads and shoulders above the old angstrom release. I've been running mine now for about 2 months now without issue.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think the NUC or a shuttle box is probably the best option.

Yeah, even the low end DN2820FYKH NUC is fairly capable as something to mess with linux on or use as a HTPC, and can be found for around ~$120 if you watch for sales/coupons at various sites. Add $35 or so for a 4GB stick of 1.35V DDR3 and a 2.5" HDD/SSD if you want (or just boot from USB), and you're set.

I've been thinking of getting one myself to use as an XBMC box, but I'm holding out to see what we get with the new Android TV STBs. You'd think I would have learned my lesson with the Logitech Revue, but I'm dumb.

I'm also barely stopped myself from getting the top end HummingBoard to replace my fried RPi, but when I realised it would cost as much as the NUC, it doesn't seem worth it unless I really wanted to mess with the GPIO stuff.

JBark fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 15, 2014

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Want to use a raspberry pi as a rally computer. basically would use sensors at the wheels(very similar to those bike speedometers), take an average of all four wheels and you come up with a distance versus the rally distance. From there forward the pi would take the distance at the wheel and adjust it to the rally distance.

Real rally computers start off at $500 for the most basic model and really all they do is make sure you're running the same distances as the same ones in the rally instructions. I drive a 30 year old hachback and don't feel like sinking that kind of money into it.

would this be feasible for the raspberry to handle? I don't know the first thing about programming and would basically be learning how to do it from scratch.

The way I see it you have four wheel sensors that'll pick up every time the magnet passes by the sensor(x1,2,3,4) and a distance used for odometer correction (y-user inputted through some keypad). the pi would take y and divide it by the sum of x1,2,3,4 to come out with a distance per wheel pass (z). From then on it would just run as an odometer and read out the average of x1,2,3,4 * z on an old school LED display.

Is this something I'd be able to tackle with no experience in programming and just reading up on it myself? I'd have no problem wiring everything up and hooking it into the car's power supply.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

1500quidporsche posted:

Want to use a raspberry pi as a rally computer. basically would use sensors at the wheels(very similar to those bike speedometers), take an average of all four wheels and you come up with a distance versus the rally distance. From there forward the pi would take the distance at the wheel and adjust it to the rally distance.

Real rally computers start off at $500 for the most basic model and really all they do is make sure you're running the same distances as the same ones in the rally instructions. I drive a 30 year old hachback and don't feel like sinking that kind of money into it.

would this be feasible for the raspberry to handle? I don't know the first thing about programming and would basically be learning how to do it from scratch.

The way I see it you have four wheel sensors that'll pick up every time the magnet passes by the sensor(x1,2,3,4) and a distance used for odometer correction (y-user inputted through some keypad). the pi would take y and divide it by the sum of x1,2,3,4 to come out with a distance per wheel pass (z). From then on it would just run as an odometer and read out the average of x1,2,3,4 * z on an old school LED display.

Is this something I'd be able to tackle with no experience in programming and just reading up on it myself? I'd have no problem wiring everything up and hooking it into the car's power supply.

This sounds better suited to an Arduino-type device.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's definitely microcontroller stuff and not really full-computer stuff, and realtime interrupts are not really trivial programatically. I mean, it's a great goal, and probably a really good project to cut your teeth on programming, but it is fairly ambitious for a first project. Don't expect to be done in a weekend.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ante posted:

It's definitely microcontroller stuff and not really full-computer stuff, and realtime interrupts are not really trivial programatically. I mean, it's a great goal, and probably a really good project to cut your teeth on programming, but it is fairly ambitious for a first project. Don't expect to be done in a weekend.

Definitely not expecting to have it in over a weekend, currently we're shooting for december in terms of having everything in the car working with some rundown tests in oct/nov.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Why not just tap into the car's speedometer or use gps? Seems significantly simpler than trying to find a way to mount 4 sensors, plus running all that wiring, then rebalancing each wheel after attaching the magnets (though mounting to the axles would solve this). Your car's speedometer already does this, and gps would be more accurate as it isn't affected by wheel slippage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

TheLastManStanding posted:

gps would be more accurate as it isn't affected by wheel slippage.

I've only done rallies a couple of times, but there were rules about what sort of electronics you could use that often exclude gps.