Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt
May 26, 2003

Total derail here: So they are doing construction on my street, a big project, putting in a new city sewer system(I am on the edge of the city, and have a septic tank at the moment). It's a huge project, and will go on all summer long. But today they got to my house, and the end of my yard by the street currently has a giant hole and a big rear end bulldozer sitting in it.

But all the vibrations from digging my yard up today caused a window on my front porch to crack. Can I put a claim in with the city for a repair fee for that, or am I just poo poo out of luck? I'm sure I can file a claim on my homeowners insurance, but I think the city is responsible.

I'm new to this whole homeowner thing, so I don't know if that's a thing or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
TAKE PICTURES. Pictures of the window, pictures of the bulldozers, pictures of the hole, etc.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Make sure to slip the tip of your dick into all the pictures.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Run for city council on a platform of producing a five year plan to fund the replacement of every glass window.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Joementum posted:

Run for city council on a platform of producing a five year plan to fund the replacement of every glass window.

My city got rid of city trash pickup because they didn't want to raise taxes or prices to offset costs. I feel like my liberal window repair platform wouldn't go over well.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this might not be exactly what youre looking for, but have you considered auditing the fed

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

this might not be exactly what youre looking for, but have you considered auditing the fed

I can even do the auditing! :thumbsup:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

What was the original book in this joke?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ASOIAF, i believe

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Dirt posted:

My city got rid of city trash pickup because they didn't want to raise taxes or prices to offset costs. I feel like my liberal window repair platform wouldn't go over well.

Does your city just wallow in garbage or do you have to actually drive your old pizza boxes to the landfills?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dirt posted:

Total derail here: So they are doing construction on my street, a big project, putting in a new city sewer system(I am on the edge of the city, and have a septic tank at the moment). It's a huge project, and will go on all summer long. But today they got to my house, and the end of my yard by the street currently has a giant hole and a big rear end bulldozer sitting in it.

But all the vibrations from digging my yard up today caused a window on my front porch to crack. Can I put a claim in with the city for a repair fee for that, or am I just poo poo out of luck? I'm sure I can file a claim on my homeowners insurance, but I think the city is responsible.

I'm new to this whole homeowner thing, so I don't know if that's a thing or what.

Please do not derail the chat thread!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Watching the HBO John Adams series with the wife. We have been fact checking as we go. Good show and surprisingly accurate.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cercadelmar posted:

Does your city just wallow in garbage or do you have to actually drive your old pizza boxes to the landfills?

They probably have private collectors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Watching the HBO John Adams series with the wife. We have been fact checking as we go. Good show and surprisingly accurate.

It's based on the very good McCullough book, which is a must read after watching the series.

A fun game is to count all the times the modern right wing would've excoriated Adams for doing something. He basically defended the Boston bomber.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Cercadelmar posted:

Well you can drag your poo poo to a dump somewhere, or pay this old dude to come pickup your trash who charges by the bag.

I pay the old dude. I feel bad for the guy, he looks like he's about 80 years old, and does it all by himself. He loads all the bags onto a big flatbed truck. No idea where he takes it though.

It took me six weeks from when I moved in to get him to come out and start picking up my trash, because "He can't figure out his voice mail on his new cell phone".

I live in a weird place.

zoux posted:

Please do not derail the chat thread!

:(

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 15, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

quote:

Most people in the 1% aren't there the next year. They might beat at 4, 9, 12, etc. And many of those people weren't born into even the top 50%. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers offhand.

Somebody on facebook said this about the 1%, and I don't know how he came to it. Does anyone know what stats he's referring to or if this is true?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Don't be silly, it's the chat thread! It has no rails!

I had this half a decade where I would move to a new apartment, the city/town would be starting construction/renovation of the area, and then it would be done just before I would have to move out. Really irritating.

N. Senada posted:

Somebody on facebook said this about the 1%, and I don't know how he came to it. Does anyone know what stats he's referring to or if this is true?

Pulled out of :butt:. Calling it now.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

Well you can drag your poo poo to a dump somewhere, or pay this old dude to come pickup your trash who charges by the bag.

I pay the old dude. I feel bad for the guy, he looks like he's about 80 years old, and does it all by himself. He loads all the bags onto a big flatbed truck. No idea where he takes it though.

It took me six weeks from when I moved in to get him to come out and start picking up my trash, because "He can't figure out his voice mail on his new cell phone".

I live in a weird place.

:(

Do you live in like some libertarian hellhole?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

N. Senada posted:

I don't recall the exact source either, but I believe I read it in a writeup of "the 1%". The short version is that income stability isn't all that high in that area- lots of people getting wealthy off of temporary industrial booms or real estate. The people who are actually stable in their positions are in the .01% or so. Of course, those dropping out of the 1% are still making millions a year, so it's hardly something to cry for them over.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
New construction or work on older buildings pops up around my city every few months. This frequently blocks the roads and walkways, but it usually isn't there for very long. However, recently the new construction projects have kept popping up while the old ones never go away. The area has become a nightmare maze, and I fear for the future.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
He claimed US census data for another factoid, but that particularly bit sounded off. I guess that^ point makes sense, vox.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

DemeaninDemon posted:

Do you live in like some libertarian hellhole?

It's Michigan. We are a Republican hellhole that you very much.

I live way up in the middle of nowhere in Michigan. If I lived literally like 1000 yards across the street and the river I'd be in a College town(Houghton) with normal trash and city services. I live on the apparently poor side of the river. But my property taxes are considerably lower. So there's that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude Unhappy With Public Services Also Likes Lower Taxes.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

It's Michigan. We are a Republican hellhole that you very much.

I live way up in the middle of nowhere in Michigan. If I lived literally like 1000 yards across the street and the river I'd be in a College town(Houghton) with normal trash and city services. I live on the apparently poor side of the river. But my property taxes are considerably lower. So there's that.

Hmmmmmmmm. Don't know what to tell you.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

zoux posted:

Dude Unhappy With Public Services Also Likes Lower Taxes.

No, not at all. I'd happily pay taxes to have basic service like trash pickup. I am probably in the minority that way in my area.

Just pointing out how that all works here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if your county had enough revenue to contract with a company that didn't go around breaking your house, would that be worth some extra taxes?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Dirt posted:

No, not at all. I'd happily pay taxes to have basic service like trash pickup. I am probably in the minority that way in my area.

Just pointing out how that all works here.

I get water, sewage, trash, and storm drain maintenance all in one nice monthly bill from the city. Trash pickup is 2x a week, it's a pretty sweet deal.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I dunno, guys, I think Dirt is not endorsing his county's practices!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

zoux posted:

What if your county had enough revenue to contract with a company that didn't go around breaking your house, would that be worth some extra taxes?

Now you're just talking silly.

Everyone knows the lowest bidder does the best work. Unless it's a no-bid contract scenario. The guys who are awarded no-bid contracts are always the best.

:D

I find the whole situation with the trash fascinating. I wasn't aware cities could just do that I guess. I have never lived in such a small place before though. I wonder what my neighbor does with his trash. He doesn't have a car as far as I can tell, and he doesn't use the same old guy I do for pickup. I wonder if he just has like a mountain of garbage in his garage or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm just loving with him, I doubt his prop taxes pay for county/city services anyways.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

Now you're just talking silly.

Everyone knows the lowest bidder does the best work. Unless it's a no-bid contract scenario. The guys who are awarded no-bid contracts are always the best.

:D

I find the whole situation with the trash fascinating. I wasn't aware cities could just do that I guess. I have never lived in such a small place before though. I wonder what my neighbor does with his trash. He doesn't have a car as far as I can tell, and he doesn't use the same old guy I do for pickup. I wonder if he just has like a mountain of garbage in his garage or something.

This season on hoarders! We take a trip to Libertopia!

I'm talking about stereotypical libertopia not your town

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
America, where you are free to clog up your nose to spite your face tax.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

This season on hoarders! We take a trip to Libertopia!

I'm talking about stereotypical libertopia not your town

Upper MI is pretty militia-ey

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Oh my gosh, the CIA's Subway (CIA has their own Subway!) isnt held up to Subway's rigorous quality standards.

I wonder what the comments for the Pentagon's courtyard cafe are like. Are FIOAs for benign fun things like these difficult to request?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Dirt posted:

One town I lived in awarded the waste collection contract without bidding, even though it was legally required. After a court battle the town opened a bidding process and another company won. The original contract was still binding, so the town ended up with two trash collection agencies, with separate cans, trucks, and schedules. Put the trash in the wrong can on the wrong day and it wouldn't get picked up. This was right in the middle of the recession, so it put the local gov deep in the red.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Wasn't one of the countless Freedom Cities supposed to be a giant rear end barge floating around the Great Lakes?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

tentative8e8op posted:

Oh my gosh, the CIA's Subway (CIA has their own Subway!) isnt held up to Subway's rigorous quality standards.

I wonder what the comments for the Pentagon's courtyard cafe are like. Are FIOAs for benign fun things like these difficult to request?
They're hilarious in how anal they all are. The one Joe posted about the grapes is great. "I do not condone putting salad bar items into the Jazz Salad..."

It's basically Milton from Office Space. That's who is running the CIA.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

tentative8e8op posted:

No, they're no harder to request, and obviously getting them granted is easier. Requesting things like this is kind of a dick move, though, as it won't tell you anything of use and it still ties up resources.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

zoux posted:

Funny thing about Upper Michigan: It's a solid red voting block, just about everyone is a Republican, with one Rep for the whole area(and he is insufferable). But guess who the biggest employer in the whole area is:

the state of Michigan

I find that oddly hilarious for some reason.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wasn't one of the countless Freedom Cities supposed to be a giant rear end barge floating around the Great Lakes?

I had never heard this, but that's awesome. What are you supposed to do when the lake freezes over? Even Lake Superior froze over this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dirt posted:

Funny thing about Upper Michigan: It's a solid red voting block, with one Rep for the whole area(and he is insufferable). But guess who the biggest employer in the whole area is:

the state of Michigan

I find that oddly hilarious for some reason.

This dude who I used to see driving to work drove a new Beetle covered with Infowars and other assorted Libertarian bumper stickers. I'd watch him turn into his job at the state Archives.

• Locked thread