Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think they are done at SiriusXM. Seemed iffy if they were even going to come back before this went down. The new show is going to be awkward and not as funny. And it never felt like they were considered an important part of the future of the company.

One thing Opie mentioned was how he felt he was in the worst position. He's got to do a lame duck show for a few months and who knows what happens from there. While Ant will have a new show and a boatload of media attention before it launches.

Still think they will all be back together at some point. Lot of VC money flowing into the podcast industry right now and someone will take a huge swing on them to launch a network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Niwrad posted:

I think they are done at SiriusXM. Seemed iffy if they were even going to come back before this went down. The new show is going to be awkward and not as funny. And it never felt like they were considered an important part of the future of the company.

One thing Opie mentioned was how he felt he was in the worst position. He's got to do a lame duck show for a few months and who knows what happens from there. While Ant will have a new show and a boatload of media attention before it launches.

Still think they will all be back together at some point. Lot of VC money flowing into the podcast industry right now and someone will take a huge swing on them to launch a network.

Anthony isn't going to have a "boat load of media attention" for his lovely new show, sorry. I fully expect Sirius to offer them a new contract, I will be surprised if they don't.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

T Bowl posted:

Anthony isn't going to have a "boat load of media attention" for his lovely new show, sorry. I fully expect Sirius to offer them a new contract, I will be surprised if they don't.
Yeah, maybe Gawker will check in on Ant's new internet show but no one is going to care except for a handful of diehards and his white supremacist following.

The listeners calling Opie and Jim traitors are such morons. People tried to get through to Ant and everyone gave up. Opie and Jimmy won't say it outright, but they had to have spent the past several years waiting for Ant to get them fired with his racism. This group of fans expecting them to have some moral obligation to drown along side Ant is not only laughable, it's morally repugnant. It's one thing to stick with your friends; it's another entirely to think you're obligated to let your life and career be destroyed just because they can't get over their self-destructive behavior. Opie talks about having "F-you money" but even if Sirius comes back with a low-ball offer for a new contract, why walk away from a guaranteed $1-2m a year when you have a wife and two kids and apparently all sorts of family leeching off of you financially? And Jimmy who makes way less has repeatedly said that he really needs the paycheck. I think Opie repeatedly saying to Ron that they need to bring R&F back to the channel says where his mind is. He has to be thinking of rebuilding somehow in the back of his mind. I also do think he is holding out hope that this will blow over down the road and Sirius will be open to bringing Ant back-- maybe with some sort of clause in his contract about the racial content and social media.

And :laffo: at Brother Joe on the air this morning talking about how huge Ant's show is going to be and how it's going to blow everything else out there out of the water, when the big selling point so far is bringing back bits from 1996.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Use Anthony's paycheck to fund new SNV shows. Channel saved.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tomahawk posted:

Use Anthony's paycheck to fund new SNV shows. Channel saved.
poo poo, they could even pay Davey Mac!

... Nah, never gonna happen

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
hay guyz i hear there is a full time opening for a pretty sweet gig?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Someone put together an aggravation of information Anthony has put out there about the new show

http://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/2aoubn/info_on_ants_upcoming_show/

quote:

RT @billaugerman1: @AnthonyCumia - does your new show have a video element?
-gently caress yes.

RT @CJspiraled: @AnthonyCumia is your new show daily?
-We're looking at Mon-Thurs. 2hrs a day. With 4 "specials" a year.

RT @OpieAntFan: @AnthonyCumia How expensive will the new show be?
-Under 7 bucks a month. Not bad. Cheaper than than Sirius! Ha.

RT @RedWhiteAndWs: @AnthonyCumia I'm assuming your show will be live as well as on demand?
-You assume correctly.

RT @grabbaggar: @AnthonyCumia will your show have commercials?
-If I do live reads, I'll make them as entertaining as possible. Ha.

RT @ididntdoshit: @AnthonyCumia can i get it down under?
-Yeah mate! link[6]
RT @cass316:I'm from Scotland. Will international fans b able 2 subscribe?
-Yes! I'm excited about the international aspect of this!

RT @maluku1908: @AnthonyCumia @OpieAntFan can I use paypal?
-Working out payment options. It's gonna be very easy.

RT @GrumpyKez: @AnthonyCumia Who will host the show, just you?
-To start. We'll see what the future holds. Don't wanna force a cohost.

RT @rageofthehebrew: @AnthonyCumia Did you figure out what the timeslot will be yet?
-Looking at 3-5 east but not locked in yet.

RT @TALLguy_trucker: @AnthonyCumia Phone app?
-Yes! Absolutely. I have so many people working on this right now. This ain't a hobby anymore

RT @og_gin: @AnthonyCumia will you talk about some of the stuff you weren't able to talk about (if any) on Sirius?
-Holy poo poo yes!

Adding more...
RT @GwangjuSam: @AnthonyCumia @GrumpyKez hope Opie and Jimmy join you in october
-Me too!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

UncleMonkey posted:

Opie and Jimmy won't say it outright, but they had to have spent the past several years waiting for Ant to get them fired with his racism.
I loled at Ron's "and all the article's written about Ant, you'd think his bit was being 'the racist guy;".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

T Bowl posted:

He already got a boat load of media attention. I imagine a lot of people's first thought when they heard the news was "that show is still on the air?". Sounds like he's going to do a bit of a tour of the major podcasts, maybe some small TV stuff like RedEye. I don't think the show is going to be big or anything, or even good, but it's the most visibility he's gotten in over a decade which is a better spot than where Opie is at.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Opie's spot is "still having a radio show." If you don't think Opie's in a way better spot, you're a lunatic.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cory Lidle posted:

Opie's spot is "still having a radio show." If you don't think Opie's in a way better spot, you're a lunatic.

You just have to take one listen to anything Fez has contributed since moving to Raw Dog to know Opie has the way better spot.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Opie won't have a radio show come October. At that point he'll be the least talented of the 3 with no buzz and no real options.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bisticles posted:

Someone put together an aggravation of information Anthony has put out there about the new show
So $6.99 for four two hour shows a week? Pass.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

According to Jimmy the headlines after the incident should have read "MAN DOES NOT SHOOT WOMAN TO DEATH"

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

CrashCat posted:

But it's less than SIRIUS/XM! It's like saying that you can pay to watch All in the Family all month for the less than a full set of cable channels. Great?

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Opie won't have a radio show come October. At that point he'll be the least talented of the 3 with no buzz and no real options.
SiriusXM has plenty of dinosaur jocks that haven't had half the national notoriety Opie has had during his run with Anthony. Let's not pretend like this company is suddenly a way on-top-of-poo poo operation. Opie being on the downward trend means a lot less than the company being on the downward trend. They're stupid, lose money, and keep going back to the well of name recognition. Opie will get an offer. It's sure as poo poo not going to be $3MM a year, but he'll get an offer.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bunky posted:

But it's less than SIRIUS/XM! It's like saying that you can pay to watch All in the Family all month for the less than a full set of cable channels. Great?
I'd almost pay $7 a month for easy access to the gigantic O&A archive that they've never organized and don't have control over, if that could ever happen (it can't). But not really when I consider all the alternatives.

Hell, I shouldn't even still be paying for SXM considering I could download poo poo ahead of time for car trips or hit the library for audiobooks or even just get a less lovely cell service. But tuning into my satellite radio is a nice lazy option, and listening online at work helps me justify it. Anthony hasn't got any of that, and I bet his site will make it onto the general work filter my employer uses.

mousetrench
Apr 3, 2008

We need to paint inspirational murals in urban areas.
They got one here of a hotdog stabbin Ghandi while he's sittin on the toilet cryin.
It says "may ur dreams soar forever...."

bisticles posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/2aoubn/info_on_ants_upcoming_show/

Ha.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Opie and Anthony fans are already paying for Anthony's racism.... schinkle 'bout it

iceaim
May 20, 2001

CrashCat posted:

I'm in. Not sure why that seems like such a rip off to you. The philhendrieshow.com charges $9.95 a month.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 15, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

iceaim posted:

I'm in. Not sure why that seems like such a rip off to you. The philhendrieshow.com charges $9.95 a month.
And worth every penny, with his massive back catalog of amazing radio. Anthony's back catalog? All owned by someone else.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Does anyone know whats up with Davey Mack lately? Last thing I heard was months ago when something went down with Casey banging other dudes or whatever. Has he been on Ron and Fez since all that, or even after the move?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
7 bucks a month isn't terrible if the show is really good, but it probably won't be really good.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ChaoticSeven posted:

Does anyone know whats up with Davey Mack lately? Last thing I heard was months ago when something went down with Casey banging other dudes or whatever. Has he been on Ron and Fez since all that, or even after the move?
All I remember was him getting the axe in the big channel clean out, then I never heard another word. I assume he's out there entertaining for people who actually give a poo poo.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Cory Lidle posted:

SiriusXM has plenty of dinosaur jocks that haven't had half the national notoriety Opie has had during his run with Anthony. Let's not pretend like this company is suddenly a way on-top-of-poo poo operation. Opie being on the downward trend means a lot less than the company being on the downward trend. They're stupid, lose money, and keep going back to the well of name recognition. Opie will get an offer. It's sure as poo poo not going to be $3MM a year, but he'll get an offer.

SiriusXM keeps gaining subscribers and has had steady stocks for a long while now, everyone knows their customer service leaves something to be desired but the "downward trend" isn't really happening, yet. The very thing people have kept saying will destroy SiriusXM still hasn't and it seems like it would have by now (podcasts, music apps).

The only other big hurdle will be when/if cellular companies decide to allow unlimited data again for a reasonable price, even then, people like the convenience of Sirius, and there are a gently caress load of truckers out there. The company is good for at least another decade.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
Vos and Bobby in today. Vos is already on fire.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Anthony's show will start out guns-a-blazin' in all senses of the word, and quickly burn through all its material in a few weeks. Unless he actually hires writers and producers to keep a steady stream of material coming onto the show to discuss, it'll be just like every other wild-and-crazy podcast out there that hasn't updated in 4 years.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

bisticles posted:

Anthony's show will start out guns-a-blazin' in all senses of the word, and quickly burn through all its material in a few weeks. Unless he actually hires writers and producers to keep a steady stream of material coming onto the show to discuss, it'll be just like every other wild-and-crazy podcast out there that hasn't updated in 4 years.

Eh, I must admit, he can spend an hour or two each day prepping by loving around on fark/reddit/break/ebaums/whatever and get enough bullshit to talk for two hours. Somedays would be better than others, whatever is interesting/viral. The thing is that was Sam & Company's job before and now Anthony will have to do it himself.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 15, 2014

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

quote:

RT @og_gin: @AnthonyCumia will you talk about some of the stuff you weren't able to talk about (if any) on Sirius?
-Holy poo poo yes!

Surely that means he's going to do some really funny bits and hilariously tackle some tough targets without worrying about backlash from sponsors and lawyers. Surely that doesn't mean 2 hour eugenics rants and doing black people impressions over WSHH videos. Surely.

Jaxpunk
May 1, 2003
You'll never understand, don't try.
Wow I had no idea there where so many people with the ability to see into the future in this thread. Can I get the lotto numbers for this weeks drawing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jaxpunk posted:

Wow I had no idea there where so many people with the ability to see into the future in this thread. Can I get the lotto numbers for this weeks drawing?

Speculating about this kind of thing is half the fun. :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jaxpunk posted:

Yes, these are guesses, and we don't even agree. So someone is going to be wrong. Surprise!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I will be right. Sorry whoever disagrees.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Niwrad posted:

B-but the OpieRadio brand! The t-shirts! Basketball videos!!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
After 20 years on the air, I still can't believe that the most loyal listeners (and there's a lot of them) are unable to separate Kayfabe from reality.

Some of this thread even...

:psyduck:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

After 20 years on the air, I still can't believe that the most loyal listeners (and there's a lot of them) are unable to separate Kayfabe from reality.

Some of this thread even...

:psyduck:

What part are you talking about?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

What part are you talking about?

I'm not making a list or anything, but lets just start with anyone who takes these guys seriously when they complain about the bosses/company or threaten to "walk" when the contract is up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pete Rose rules

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'm not making a list or anything, but lets just start with anyone who takes these guys seriously when they complain about the bosses/company or threaten to "walk" when the contract is up.

As long as this thread has existed people have fallen for the Opie "I'm so unhappy here, just wait until October" bit. I think most people are smart enough to get it, but I'm actually amazed people think Opie and Jim would walk away from this job to do a podcast that they would actually have to work on, and would then make maybe 10% of what they make now.

Then again people have been falling for the Howard Stern retirement bit the last 20.

Maybe people just want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

therealjon_ posted:

As long as this thread has existed people have fallen for the Opie "I'm so unhappy here, just wait until October" bit. I think most people are smart enough to get it, but I'm actually amazed people think Opie and Jim would walk away from this job to do a podcast that they would actually have to work on, and would then make maybe 10% of what they make now.
I've been listening for a long time, I know he always pulls this poo poo. Most of the time he does there's nothing different going on and he just continues to slide along. If it helps any, I just think it's more probable that he might actually act on it than the other five hundred times he bitched about lovely management and did nothing. He sounds way more exhausted and uninterested lately than say, three or four years ago when he would bitch about them being impossible. I don't think it's a slam dunk that he strings along until they drag him away Scott Shannon style, anyway.

• Locked thread