Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Just downloaded the How I's Made series off [REMOVED BY MOD: NO ADVERTISING PIRATING WEBSITES], I watch it for hours. Great tool for entertaining my nephews too.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mythbusters moved to Thursdays now. Why did they blow up the garbage truck? I wasn't paying attention to the build team.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Mythbusters moved to Thursdays now. Why did they blow up the garbage truck? I wasn't paying attention to the build team.

The myth was about what things you can hide a bomb in that would give blast protection. They tried a bed, a fishtank, and the garbage truck, all of which did help. Then they blew up the garbage truck to make up for their failure to capture the cement mixer they blew up years ago in slow motion.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

haveblue posted:

the cement mixer they blew up years ago in slow motion.
The very first animated .gif I ever made.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

nmfree posted:

The very first animated .gif I ever made.

The sound of that explosion was great. No bang, just 'thwoooom'.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
RIP Jamie's Beret. You had a good run.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

jscolon2.0 posted:

RIP Jamie's Beret. You had a good run.

He finally realise he's not a marine?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like the garbage truck explosion wasn't as violent as the cement truck. Perhaps the garbage truck was too sturdy?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like the garbage truck explosion wasn't as violent as the cement truck. Perhaps the garbage truck was too sturdy?

The cement truck was definitely better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They probably used a lot more explosives in the cement mixer. I don't remember what they said they put in the garbage truck.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They used 200 pounds of ANFO in the garbage truck, versus 850 pounds in the cement mixer. I think ever since they had that mishap at the bomb range with a cannon they've toned down the kabooms. During the grenade segments for instance, I noticed Adam spent a lot of time assuring the viewers how far away from anything they were.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I would have liked if they'd flipped the myths between the teams. Grenade throwing robot versus trap shooting robot, go!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

They used 200 pounds of ANFO in the garbage truck, versus 850 pounds in the cement mixer. I think ever since they had that mishap at the bomb range with a cannon they've toned down the kabooms. During the grenade segments for instance, I noticed Adam spent a lot of time assuring the viewers how far away from anything they were.

I figured as much. They had some nerve acting like it was going to be the same thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone watch Naked and Afraid? Crazy bitch and terrible dude. "You are diluted." Wow.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FogHelmut posted:

Crazy bitch and terrible dude.

Yup, that's Naked and a Afraid all right.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Can we talk IRT here?

Darrell "I'm just doing this to help my son through college" Ward on IRT has turned reality TV douchebag this season.

Speaking of IRT, I picked up Hugh's book (yeah, that's a thing) at Dollar Tree. He basically said the cameras turned several people into toolbags, and Rick Yemm's firing in Season 1 was due to his efforts to play it up for TV getting to his head.

He also basically admitted that much of what you see out of him on the show is forced and that he adopted a can't beat 'em, join 'em attitude when the informational, "share the story of the ice road" documentary he thought he was taking part in turned into a shitshow.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If it is a reality show, it is fake. It just is. Period. It isn't real, at least not fully. Deadliest Catch is probably the most real because of the nature of where they are shooting, but even then I am sure some of non-dangerous drama is manufactured sometimes. Like, I am highly suspicious of Sig's daughter being on the boat and how that whole thing is going down. As for the arguments and fights, those feel a lot more real than the ones you see on similar shows, unless crab fishermen are also pretty good actors.

I just saw a clip of a Tow Truck show where a guy whose face was not blurred tried to get out of having his car towed by posing as a cop (wearing a fairly common fake cop uniform costume/badge) before eventually getting punched in the face by the truck driver. Yes I am sure this happened and the man who committed a felony or multiple ones by handcuffing her, etc, also decided to sign a release form and never noticed the multiple cameramen catching the action. Also, no one noticed that the dude's uniform and badge was fake and wrong. I honestly didn't even get he was supposed to be a cop at first, I thought he was a security guard from the building they were in front of. Then I recognized the shirt and badge as one I've seen used in stuff I've worked on.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Like, I am highly suspicious of Sig's daughter being on the boat and how that whole thing is going down.

I haven't really been following Deadliest Catch that closely this season, but how have they been handling that? It seemed like a sort of stupid thing for Sig to be angsting about given his background, and how many kids wind up working on the boats.

Along those lines, how has the Cornelia been doing?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I haven't really been following Deadliest Catch that closely this season, but how have they been handling that? It seemed like a sort of stupid thing for Sig to be angsting about given his background, and how many kids wind up working on the boats.

Along those lines, how has the Cornelia been doing?

Sig has been super nice and they are all basically coddling her and she hasn't really had to deal with much of the hardships of Opie fishing since the weather has been decent and they haven't been grinding too hard. There is drama being drummed up where Jake is disappointed that Sig keeps bringing her into the wheelhouse to learn to drive the boat where he has almost never been allowed to do that.

The CM has been having trouble getting on the crab, otherwise it has mostly been Josh learning from the captain how to do stuff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jake, probably through the magic of editing, has always been a whiny baby so that doesn't surprise me. At the start of the opie season it seemed like the show was going to push a "Sig doesn't think a girl should be crab fishing" angle, so I'm glad they didn't go there?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

howe_sam posted:

Jake, probably through the magic of editing, has always been a whiny baby so that doesn't surprise me. At the start of the opie season it seemed like the show was going to push a "Sig doesn't think a girl should be crab fishing" angle, so I'm glad they didn't go there?

They don't really go there outside of some dumb jokes like one of the deck crew making a women drivers joke when Mandy was driving and stuff like naming her string "My Little Pony" but it's all stayed good natured with regard to her having girl parts.

There's some bitching about how easy Sig is going on her, but that's actually merited since he totally is. If Sig wanted to scare her off of crab fishing because he didn't think she should be doing it he's going about it all wrong. I do think it's probably just for the show though - the Northwestern has tried to market their brand pretty hard over the years, it even showed up in one of those godawful Cars movies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

They are definitely going there. That is basically 50% of the words being spoken whenever they cut to the Northwestern at the moment.

It's funny because they keep stupidly beating that drum, when in reality all they would need to have a point is that she is too goddamned small and not in good enough shape, which is objectively true.

IRQ posted:

They don't really go there outside of some dumb jokes like one of the deck crew making a women drivers joke when Mandy was driving and stuff like naming her string "My Little Pony" but it's all stayed good natured with regard to her having girl parts.

There's some bitching about how easy Sig is going on her, but that's actually merited since he totally is. If Sig wanted to scare her off of crab fishing because he didn't think she should be doing it he's going about it all wrong. I do think it's probably just for the show though - the Northwestern has tried to market their brand pretty hard over the years, it even showed up in one of those godawful Cars movies.

Yeah none of it feels mean spirited. The feeling I am getting is that she probably does not want to actually do it so much for real and that they are playing everything up for interesting content.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My guess is it's a year off between high school and college, make some partying money, real interesting resume fodder, helps the boat's brand and gives Discovery some easy content, everybody wins.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

My guess is it's a year off between high school and college, make some partying money, real interesting resume fodder, helps the boat's brand and gives Discovery some easy content, everybody wins.

Yeah. They mentioned she's done part time stuff in their other fishing operations before, so I figure she was probably just curious to see what fishing crab during winter was like so they said, sure come up for a delivery during the relatively calmest part of the season and then the producers turned it into the whole "SHE WILL BE A CRAB FISHERMEN COME HELL OR HIGH WATER, WHAT WILL SIG DOOOO?!"

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I've thought Sig's treatment of his daughter on the boat has been pretty realistic honestly. It scares the poo poo out of him, so he gets her into the wheelhouse every second he can, even if it makes for a bumpy ride for the rest of the boat. His wife called him on his poo poo and now he's forced to follow through on it because he couldn't say no to his kid. He's a man who has worked hard to provide a life and enable his kids to do more than he did and seeing his daughter want to work boats is basically everything he didn't hope for. That's causing him to make choices that are pissing everyone off (including his daughter), as he does his damnedest to not put her in ANY kind of risk.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

They are definitely going there. That is basically 50% of the words being spoken whenever they cut to the Northwestern at the moment.

Well drat, that's a shame. I was hoping Sig's objections would be more about the toll of the job than just boring gender stuff.

I mean it would be interesting if there was at least one captain in the fleet who didn't want his kids following in his footsteps.(edit: basically what Campbell said I guess, good job Sig)

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 15, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There's a little from column A and a little from column B. The guys on deck are ribbing her a lot, and sometimes it comes off as fun, but I sense a lot of "This is a man's job, she's only here because she's the captain's daughter" passive sexism even though at least on the show she seems to be competent enough on deck... when Sig lets her out there.

I think Sig and Edgar both realize that this business grinds people up and spits them out, and this is a common theme for a lot of family businesses.

Campbell posted:

I've thought Sig's treatment of his daughter on the boat has been pretty realistic honestly. It scares the poo poo out of him, so he gets her into the wheelhouse every second he can, even if it makes for a bumpy ride for the rest of the boat. His wife called him on his poo poo and now he's forced to follow through on it because he couldn't say no to his kid. He's a man who has worked hard to provide a life and enable his kids to do more than he did and seeing his daughter want to work boats is basically everything he didn't hope for. That's causing him to make choices that are pissing everyone off (including his daughter), as he does his damnedest to not put her in ANY kind of risk.

Pretty much. If Mandy wants to get in to the business, that's her choice, and Sig isn't forcing it on her, but you can tell that he has some angst about her being involved and maybe didn't want her to get caught in the trap that sucked him and Edgar. I sense it's less of a "But she's a girl!" thing for Sig—as he has no sons—and more that Mandy seems to be a great student and has a lot of potential to do anything that isn't nearly killing yourself out on the ocean. It's a common thing for a parent to not want their kids to be caught in the same life.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

howe_sam posted:

Well drat, that's a shame. I was hoping Sig's objections would be more about the toll of the job than just boring gender stuff.

What we're seeing isn't objections. We're seeing complete lack of objection. The dude will do anything and everything for his daughter and that side of him is completely at odds with Sig Hansen, fairest hardass of the fleet. You expect Sig to drop the hammer and crush her dreams or put her through the grind to make her hate it, but it's his daughter and what you see is the face of a conflicted dad pretty much all the time. It's a different side of the person and I don't mind it.

I find it way way way more interesting than the Saga becoming a shaggin' wagon. That boat seriously needs to sink.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Whatever is going on with Sig's daughter is still way more interesting than Elliot's trainwreck of a personal life.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think you can tell that the interactions between Sig and his daughter are genuine, and he really is terrified of her being on deck in general, but I feel like she probably isn't as serious about being a crab fisherman as the show is making it seem. Which is why Sig is going suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper easy on her. She was freaking sleeping in her bunk while the crew was working. I think if it were more serious, he would be both terrified, but also more of a hardass on her because he wouldn't want her making him look bad. The vibe I am getting is that this is more of a field trip than anything, even though the producers want us to think it is more.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

As I said a few pages ago, I think Mandy Hansen is more competent and serious about what she's doing than Ariel Tweto, who seemed like she was cuteing everything up for the camera to try and become an actress. Or, to that end, Lisa Kelly from IRT who's an obvious attention whore.

The entire Elliot and The Saga Saga feels like Thom Beers/Deadliest Catch's attempt to find a way to shoehorn drama into what's otherwise an actually good show. Fortunately, there are enough decent boats the show features (basically, the rest of them) to wash Elliot's "Y'all stay on deck, I'm about to GET SOME!" out.

I don't know who the gently caress would want anything to do with whatever 686 is given that Elliot Goddamn Neese is their pitchman.

e- I'm enjoying the Cornelia Marie's rebirth, with Josh being Casey's (and, vicariously, his dad's) protege.

e2- Northwestern crabbing with the Super Bowl on the PA. :allears:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 16, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh so it was on last night?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That was some good myth busting tonight. Water heaters going boom is always fun. And the baby grand going splat on the roof cracked me up.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

howe_sam posted:

That was some good myth busting tonight. Water heaters going boom is always fun. And the baby grand going splat on the roof cracked me up.

Best episode in years. Normally they would have dragged out each one of these into a full episode.

What was up with Adams broken wrist? They cut to "yesterday" when he built the firestarter and he had no cast. Then when he's installing it in the house, he has a cast.

Edit oh I posted too soon he just explained it.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

IRT now has computerized, superimposed snowflakes which fall in the foreground when a semi getting buried in three feet of snow isn't dramatic enough.

God, this show is colossal poo poo, and I'm not exactly sure why I'm watching other than something being interesting about semis driving in ultra-remote Northern Canada in the Winter.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Given the prior complaints about Sig coddling Mandy, it looked to be a buildup to this episode. She really pulled through.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Fast and Loud actually new episodes or are they doing that poo poo where they twitter over old episodes and call it new?

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

kefkafloyd posted:

Given the prior complaints about Sig coddling Mandy, it looked to be a buildup to this episode. She really pulled through.

I kind of get the feeling she had a word or two with him, but either way, it was a good episode in between parts where Saga took up the screen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Campbell posted:

I kind of get the feeling she had a word or two with him, but either way, it was a good episode in between parts where Saga took up the screen.

Heh, more proof that girls shouldn't be on crab boats :smug: he says with his girlfriend sitting behind him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Heh, more proof that girls shouldn't be on crab boats :smug: he says with his girlfriend sitting behind him

I think that poster was saying Mandy had a word with Sig about the coddling between segments of the show where Eliot was being an idiot failure at life.

• Locked thread