Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Haha I had almost forgotten about Shurq Elalle and then I found this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

It's not just you, but the actual inspiration for Lether was Rome. Any similarities we see to our own situation are results of similarities between the US and the Roman Empire (and other empires).

Which is kinda interesting, since the Malazan empire is also inspired by Rome.
Especially as seen with the Legions, which value competence over nobility and which win battles through superior organisation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Especially as seen with the Legions, which value competence over nobility and which win battles through superior organisation.
And Lether's rather incompetent military. Really, it's hard to pinpoint a clear source of inspiration for any given thing in a book. The kind of alchemy that translates old ideas into new ones pretty much only goes on in the author's head and they're sometimes not even aware of it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

And Lether's rather incompetent military. Really, it's hard to pinpoint a clear source of inspiration for any given thing in a book. The kind of alchemy that translates old ideas into new ones pretty much only goes on in the author's head and they're sometimes not even aware of it.

Yeah, it is pretty uninteresting where the actual inspiration comes from, everyone is influenced by everyone anyways.

The story behind Lether's cavalry that came from Bluerose/Tiste Andii still cracks me up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Cardiac posted:

Eh. The only thing about the Malazans that was based on Rome was the military. Lether as an empire was a commentary on Rome, per Erikson.

anilEhilated posted:

He's specifically said this was the case with Lether. :shrug:

Cardiac posted:

The story behind Lether's cavalry that came from Bluerose/Tiste Andii still cracks me up.
It's going to kill me that I can't remember the specifics, but this also resembled at least one instance out of ancient Roman history. I don't believe it was a cavalry thing, but the concept was very similar. drat. I'll get back to you.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think the fact that Letherii focusing on holds could have brought up an interesting plot point if they had otataral and the Malazan army had to fight them without magic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

I think the fact that Letherii focusing on holds could have brought up an interesting plot point if they had otataral and the Malazan army had to fight them without magic.

Isn't that what they did, pretty much? In RG, Malazans have exactly one usable mage and they blew him on defense. Although this does raise an interesting point - considering what we know about the origins of otataral and the power of Letherii magic, how come they don't have it?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
They might have it but, since it doesn't hinder their magic, they never noticed it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

But how would they have used it to neutralize Malazan mages? Logistically speaking.

rejutka posted:

They might have it but, since it doesn't hinder their magic, they never noticed it.

Or maybe it did and they just didn't realize what they had. Eg: You have that valley or whatever in which the fake Redmask made his last stand that was so drained of magic that even the Letherii elder magic wouldn't work. What are the chances that buried under the dirt is a shitload of leftover otataral from whatever magical conflagration killed that land in the first place, and they just never looked? After all, the otataral being mined by the Malazans has been there for eons, but the mines were iirc started within Kellanved's rule, so it doesn't seem to be particularly common, general knowledge.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 11, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Just finished Wurms of Blearmouth. Makes you wonder if there are elder gods and high mages hiding in every remote village.
Also cookies and icing :yum:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:getin:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I thought the Letherii were more British colonialism nee East Indie Company but I probably read more Clavell growing up. Also the British in that era were not known for excellent military as much as diplomacy and trade based imperialism..

Also that novel was the first time I grokked what "tiste" were, forget the rest about Warrens, Gemmell was doing similar stuff with pocket dimension power pools long before I bumped into Erickson.

Also I was mistaken (again) the new Bungie IP is Destiny, not Defiance.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 15, 2014

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Oh cool! Really interested to hear what people think about this. I've been on a bit of a sci-fi kick recently, and Erikson is one of my favorite authors. Surely his sci-fi will be good!

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Hella jealous

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

If you are in contact with the high spheres, tell them that having an old parody excerpt on Tor.com isn't helping making this look like a "serious" book.

If it's a serious book. Erikson recently said he believed quite a bit on this, and that it wasn't parody at all, yet that original Willful Child was JUST very silly parody all around.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Whoa, weird, I know Ardi and I work for Erikson's old editor at Bungie. Publishing is a small world. Curious how this will turn out.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Abalieno posted:

If you are in contact with the high spheres, tell them that having an old parody excerpt on Tor.com isn't helping making this look like a "serious" book.

If it's a serious book. Erikson recently said he believed quite a bit on this, and that it wasn't parody at all, yet that original Willful Child was JUST very silly parody all around.

It is most assuredly not serious. I'm about half way through and it's actually quite absurdist. References to AHL era Winnipeg Jets players, waterboarding, aliens wielding clubs that are just other club shaped aliens, you name it.

He said in a recent interview he wrote it in 3 weeks also.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I love Erikson for his "gently caress you all" pace of writing, he really should teach GRRM some techniques

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Imagine if Erikson and Sanderson were on a 10 hour flight together

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

We'd get an entirely new series with a scientific, mechanical and completely ambiguous magic system.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pakman posted:

We'd get an entirely new series with a scientific, mechanical and completely ambiguous magic system.

And my wallet would suffer for it. :negative:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

Imagine if Erikson and Sanderson were on a 10 hour flight together

It would be like Bugg and Tehol and Erikson would be Tehol and Sanderson would be, uh, Ublala.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

man I don't know how I missed that quote!=edit sorry y'all

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 17, 2014

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It is most assuredly not serious. I'm about half way through and it's actually quite absurdist. References to AHL era Winnipeg Jets players, waterboarding, aliens wielding clubs that are just other club shaped aliens, you name it.

Link to that interview?

Well, maybe he was joking then:

quote:

For all you Fantasy purists, sorry, but ‘Willful Child’ is SF. ‘The Devil Delivered’ was my first foray into SF and that was a novella besides. This new book’s the real deal. Deadly serious, tackling heavy themes, plunging to the very nadir of Future Speculation, with two more to follow in the series already in the works (well, I have titles).

Willful Child is only the first novel in the ongoing adventures of Captain Hadrian: my follow-up’s are already outlined (The Wrath of Betty and The Search for Spark). As the titles suggest, this is serious stuff we’re dealing with here. In fact, there’s a good chance that the adventures of Captain Hadrian of the Willful Child will offend everyone, without exception.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

TryAgainBragg posted:

I love Erikson for his "gently caress you all" pace of writing, he really should teach GRRM some techniques

quote:

1: Finish what you start.

2: When a scene drags, when it gets brutally hard to get out the next line, the next word; when blood starts beading on your forehead, don’t switch scenes, don’t shift characters, don’t do any of the running-away things you might be inclined to. Push through. Everything up to that point was the lead-up to this moment, and this moment is when you learn – you learn how to write, what it is to be a writer, and all the reasons you possess for being one. That tight, claustrophobic place, is your call to courage. Don’t evade, don’t back away, don’t shift laterally. Keep going, until it hurts.

3: Finish what you start.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
On a slight aside, I just finished Crack'd Pot Trail for the first time and it's my favorite necromancer story so far, you can tell how much the author enjoyed openly writing about writing. It's probably the funniest of them too.
Now for Wurms of Blearmouth.

Opal
May 10, 2005

welp that's my enthusiasm for the SF novel gone.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abalieno posted:

Well, maybe he was joking then:

quote:

The Wrath of Betty and The Search for Spark

Nothing? Really?

quote:

As the titles suggest, this is serious stuff we’re dealing with here.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I would drop some serious dosh to own a hardcover copy of "The Wrath of Betty."

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Abalieno posted:

quote:
1: Finish what you start.

2: When a scene drags, when it gets brutally hard to get out the next line, the next word; when blood starts beading on your forehead, don’t switch scenes, don’t shift characters, don’t do any of the running-away things you might be inclined to. Push through. Everything up to that point was the lead-up to this moment, and this moment is when you learn – you learn how to write, what it is to be a writer, and all the reasons you possess for being one. That tight, claustrophobic place, is your call to courage. Don’t evade, don’t back away, don’t shift laterally. Keep going, until it hurts.

3: Finish what you start.

Sadly the only thing I see GRRM actually taking from those 3* bits of advice is that repetition is good. I'd never seen that quote before though and appreciate that its one of his main guidelines.

TryAgainBragg fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 17, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Erikson is actually slowing down:

se posted:

Sorry for the delay. I am just back from MisCon (Missoula, Montana), and am about to take a genuine vacation for the first time in over a decade (to Italy) for the month of June. Yes, I know, what’s with a vacation in the middle of writing a novel (Fall of Light)? Well, the original plan was to finish that novel before taking a full year off, but life got in the way of that. Upon returning in July, I will be bearing down and finishing Fall of Light for a November delivery date. The simple truth is, I need this break. It’s been nonstop for quite a while now and the battery’s run low. Granted, I took three weeks off to write ‘Willful Child,’ which comes out in November and may have a US tour attached to it, but that novel had been gnawing my ankles for almost ten years, and I just needed to get it done. By way of teaser, I am fairly sure that ‘Willful Child’ will offend almost everybody. But in a good way. I hope.

Yes, it does seem like a long dry-spell, but recall, my SF novel is coming out in November. Also, that dry-spell relates only to your side of things. Fall of Light, when I get to writing on it, is not in any way blocked. Rather, I’m finding that I am taking much more time on the language than I used to. It may be that my creative engine is slowing down, and what once came easily now doesn’t; or it may be that I am actually doing something different in the creative process, something that I haven’t yet pinned down, but demands a more measured approach. Either way, I can’t afford to sweat it, or work myself into a panic. I’m pleased enough with what I’ve written (mind you, I was pleased with Forge of Darkness too, and its reception was quiet, with nary a notice or nomination in any Fantasy awards, etc—I can only conclude that something fundamental is eliminating my novels from consideration, but damned if I know what that might be—but even here, I can only shrug and continue on my way. External validation is a weird thing: as authors we seek it, even as we deny its importance, and from all that back-and-forth stuff we have no choice but to ignore its absence, if only to sustain the self-faith necessary to actually write).

Also the back cover says he's in the prairies again but I thought he lives in Victoria now?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The musing about never getting any award nominations is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, but truth be told I've been wondering for ages why nothing Malazan-related ever gets nominated for anything. If Wheel of Time can get nominated for poo poo, surely something in Erikson's corner can?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

The musing about never getting any award nominations is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, but truth be told I've been wondering for ages why nothing Malazan-related ever gets nominated for anything. If Wheel of Time can get nominated for poo poo, surely something in Erikson's corner can?

joke post: freemason conspiracy is keeping wheel of time nominated, and malazan series ignored.

Good friend Kruppe's & Iskaral Pust's monologues frighten & confuse newcomers to the malazan series, i guess.
but it's probably really hard for the nominating comittees to define malazan series as strictly fantasy or scifi, especially the way the books bounce around.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 17, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah I HATED Kruppe for a long time before he endeared himself to me, so I can see a less dedicated reader of fantasy to just give up when he starts talking about pies in the middle of a Tiste Edur invasion or whatever.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The only time Erickson bugs me now is when he starts channeling Tom Clancy and starts gushing over one squad of Malazan Marines' exploits. Granted, the Dujek's Host and the Bonehunters gets better with time when they're viewed as a whole.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the one thing I wanted to happen in erikson's malazan series was ublala punga + good friend kruppe encounter and/or ublala punga + iskaral pust encounter.
the only match for wits is rock-solid stupidity.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

I actually sent him a mail about that (to which he didn't reply, by the way), but here's my analysis about lack of popularity, FoD specifically:

quote:

I think I've said this before, but long series end up having a trickle effect on readers by their nature. When a new reader comes to the series he faces a staggering task. He has in front of him 10+1+6(ICE) books veering on the HUGE. In some cases this is already enough to just not care regardless of what's in there, so you already target a kind of hardcore reader within an hardcore genre. It's only a fact that if "x" readers read GotM. then less than "x" will read (and buy) Reaper's Gale. Because you can and have picked up readers along the way, but they still all start from the beginning.

Despite the possibility, Forge of Darkness is NEVER recommended as a starting point. I might literally be the only one on the internet who finds that possibility a good one.

So Forge of Darkness, factually, can only tap on a smaller pool of readers, since it's only the pool of readers who already went through 3 millions of words and might have considered that enough.

Moreover, you are dealing with the canon of "prequels" and side stories. They are NEVER, in any series, considered essential or actually appealing. I seriously doubt for example that Jordan's New Spring sequel sold comparably well to the main series. Or that Gene Wolfe Short Sun has the same number of readers of the New Sun (it's very likely a tiny, tiny fragment).

So you've got to ask yourself how these books can look appealing from the outside. What tells them apart if not "another Malazan story, and not even central to the actual series". It's obviously feels like Malazan 10 books is the real deal, and everything else only for the truly dedicated fans.

That's also the reason why I'd consider highly unlikely that you get recognition even from the critics. Series don't do well at awards and that kind of stuff. It's not a completely unrelated that writers like Gaiman or Mieville who rack up prizes have learned to keep projects bite-sized and completely separate.

Now there's the case of the Wheel of Time potentially nominated at the Hugo as one big series. And that's entirely out of unprecedented pressure by the fandom. It's like one thing taking over a separate one, and doing this also cannibalizing the essence of the Hugo itself.

As I said it's like you're writing in a niche of a niche. If fantasy/sci-fi series were winning prizes left and right then I'd understand you getting pissed. But as things stand right now it would be WEIRD if something like that happened. You can even see the rising trends about fantasy-lite and sci-fi-lite offering, getting more mainstream response.

That's on the side of the wider public. On the side of yours, instead, it's more a case of practical stuff. Early Malazan was extremely spectacular and explosive. Faster moving (and maybe more earth-shattering). It had the Bridgeburners that much better offer a comfortable link with readers.

FoD instead is gloomier, with more "alien" characters, or quirky ones. It's an immediately less relatable kind of environment. Stuff happens but it's neither the basic carvings character-level PoV (so all the family drama, weddings and straightforward investment of readers into that stuff) nor the large scale, world-shattering epic scope. It's more intimate and abstract, less levity and humor. And it has some of the characters like Anomander who have that lofty kind of gravitas. That easily oscillates between the serious and the ridiculous (I think you call this melodrama). Melodrama isn't very popular in modern culture.

Beside that, from what I read around the different forums and blogs, those who read the book rather liked it. It seems very well received if not immediately finding a spot as fan favorite among all Malazan. If it lacks something it's the Big Epic Spectacular Stuff happening on screen. The vistas. You know, the fanservice. You give that more sparingly and it's both a good and bad thing.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Abalieno posted:

malazan award nomination problems

Before I started reading the malazan series I was directly comparing it to the wheel of time series, and using all the issues I had with wheel of time series to doubt the taste of people who liked the malazan series & to not read the malazan books.

All I knew about the malazan series was that it was written by a unknown author, it was a fantasy series, and there was a unknown amount of books left to complete the series. The series title had a weird aztec/incan empire sounding name, and people who raved about the malazan series also seemed to rave about the Iron Druid series. And the Iron Druid series is horrible/will always be horrible.

I figured it was about a aztec empire as it grew from nothing to an continental empire(the coming of age stuff from WoT), with a handful of viewpoint characters that got more powerful & were never wrong/never died as time passed(the rand companions & plot armor stuff from WoT), and probably had glacial plot progress(my biggest WoT problem) from book to book because I figured it was just tracking a handful of viewpoint characters and why else besides a cash grab would it need so many more books.

When I actually read the first malazan book it started off with titular empire having conquered 2 continents & working on it's 3rd continent, skipping the whole coming of age storyline I was dreading.

People kept got killed off within minutes, nobody was always right, things were complicated, plot hooks were firmly set, and there was some comedic moments to balance out everything. Overpowered characters had flaws and got sidetracked/killed off/encountered people just as strong. ...which resolved the second issue I worried about.

Lastly, plot advanced at staggering rate, and the books switched continents & characters. Undead cavemen, elder gods, light/dark/grey elves, korbal broach & company, good friend kruppe, the whole finest idea that robert jordan would have spent 5 volumes to just acquire ONE, etc.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 19, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to think that Erikson's response to book awards is Crack'd Pot Trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Yeah I was going to say all issues Erikson has with critics and audiences are well explored in that book.