Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
What'd you pay for them? I've been using AE-1s since I was in High School but have been tempted to supplement them with an OM due to the smaller body size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The difference is nonexistent in terms of use.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
The body was $90 but only because I wanted a black one, regular chrome models are around $40-50. The 50mm was $30, the 135mm was $120. So if you want to get one you could get a body and fifty for under $100 bucks, that's basically free in photography terms.

They are a sexy little camera and don't need batteries unless you want to use the light meter... if you do depend on the meter a lot maybe don't get one because it takes the old mercury batteries and will actually be a few stops out if you use a zinc-air as a replacement. Apparently the Wein cells work perfectly.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My first ever roll of film, gas station quality Fuji Superia 400. Ran a roll through to make sure the camera worked before I do a project this week on Portra.

Film roooooockkkkssssssss.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I love my little Konica C35

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

My first ever roll of film, gas station quality Fuji Superia 400. Ran a roll through to make sure the camera worked before I do a project this week on Portra.

Film roooooockkkkssssssss.

Are these lab scans or your own? I always find I like the look and feel of everyone else's cheapo film processing more than my own. I dunno if it's just a bias I have against my own work.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

Are these lab scans or your own? I always find I like the look and feel of everyone else's cheapo film processing more than my own. I dunno if it's just a bias I have against my own work.

A lab at an actual photo store (as opposed to a Walgreens) that handles most of the local film people I know, so they have a good reputation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My friend's moving and in packing she found an old AE-1 that belonged to her dad along with some lenses and a 2x teleconverter. I think it'd be fun as hell to load this thing with some B&W and walk around Fairmount Park shooting the old mansions.

Last time I shot film was literally in high school, when Velvia was brand new. And my awareness of what I was doing was rudimentary, to say the least. So for walking around in broad daylight, what'd be a good film choice? T-Max 100? Or just don't worry about it and use whatever?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Phanatic posted:

My friend's moving and in packing she found an old AE-1 that belonged to her dad along with some lenses and a 2x teleconverter. I think it'd be fun as hell to load this thing with some B&W and walk around Fairmount Park shooting the old mansions.

Last time I shot film was literally in high school, when Velvia was brand new. And my awareness of what I was doing was rudimentary, to say the least. So for walking around in broad daylight, what'd be a good film choice? T-Max 100? Or just don't worry about it and use whatever?

Can you do your own b/w development? If not, you should probably shoot C41 process film, i.e. typically color negative. You can also get Kodak BW400CN or Ilford XP2 which are both C41 process b/w films, both rated at 400 ISO.

If you do have the equipment, or want to get it, for developing b/w yourself (hint: never get b/w developed at a lab, it's expensive and you lose control of the process) then I guess T-Max 100 is okay, but I'd probably prefer Ilford FP4+ myself, for a medium speed film for broad daylight use. Tri-X or HP5+ are more general purpose, though, and both are well suited also for pushing to high speeds. I've used Tri-X at EI 6400 myself, and liked the result.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

It's just like digital, except you can only change the ISO every 36 photos or so.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I just got three rolls of Lomography Redscale 120 in. Any tips for how to shoot it?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Phanatic posted:

So first thing is there's a distinction in what process (chemicals, etc) is used to develop film. Color negative film (almost always) uses a process called C-41, and "real B+W" films like T-max or HP5 won't turn out in C-41 chemicals. If you want to shoot B+W, you can use color film, scan, and desaturate the image yourself. Or you can use what's called "chromogenic B+W" film, which processes normally in those chemicals. This is Kodak BW400CN and Ilford XP2. You don't really have any choices in chromogenic B+W film, the process is totally automatic and about all you can control is what film you're using (out of the 2 available).

Developing real B+W is super easy, it's incredibly difficult to totally gently caress it up. You do need one windowless (or otherwise totally dark) room to load the film into the tank, but after that you can do everything in daylight. There's also a small investment in equipment (a developing tank, some liquid measures, some quart bottles, etc) and a small ongoing cost in chemicals. Last time I checked it was like $2 a roll to process it myself or something like that, assuming you make reasonably full use of the chemicals. Versus having B+W process film done at a lab, it probably pays itself back in <4 rolls. Real B+W there's an enormous amount of interesting things to try. Film/developer combinations really change the results.

There's two types of B+W film, there's "cube-grain" or "traditional grain", and "T-grain" films. Cube-grain tends to be really in-your-face, particularly high-ISO films. They do really well with pushing. This is stuff like Tri-X, Neopan, HP5, or FP4. Tabular grain tends to be finer and less visible, but some people don't like it as much, and it can be sensitive to film/developer combinations (like any film). This is T-max, Delta, and Acros.

I keep two kinds of B+W film. I have fast film, 400 speed, and then I push-process that if I need something faster. I also have slow film (100), which I use outdoors, on tripods, etc. Tri-X or HP5+ are both great fast films, and I have fallen in love with Acros for slow-speed film. It's gorgeous, has no grain to speak of, and you can do really long exposures with it since it has incredibly low reciprocity failure.

I'm a big big fan of Rodinal as a developer, it works reliably and produces good results with pretty much everything, you mix it up fresh every time, and it stays good in the bottle forever (mixed-up developer is usually what goes bad first, and you have to add fresh chemicals every 10 rolls or so with most developers). It also works great with Acros, and there's a recipe which develops pretty much any film exposed at box-speed ISO, which is helpful in a lot of situations.

If you want to get into "special" processes, the sky is the limit. There are all kinds of developers that do all kinds of things. Rodinal sharpens images but makes grain more apparent, and Microdol-X does the opposite. There's split-bath developers that can let you shoot a single roll of film at different ISOs and get correct-ish exposures from all of the shots. Push-processing can let you shoot at really high ISOs (Tri-X/HP5 can easily do 1600 or 3200), and selenium intensification can help it even further. Staining developers help give you more tonal range when you're doing wet-paper enlargements, etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 14, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ZippySLC posted:

I just got three rolls of Lomography Redscale 120 in. Any tips for how to shoot it?

This is one of the better shots I've seen on Redscale (not mine):

rest stop on Mars by QsySue, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of BW dev, I have a 1L bottle of Ilfotec HC and I am beginning to worry that I won't be able to use it up before it expires. It's the ultra concentrated syrup that I gotta mix into 1:31 dilutions for use (roughly 9 ml per batch). I've been mixing it directly rather than turning it into 4L of stock first. People say it has a shelf life of 6 months, and others say that it will last years and years if the bottle is sealed tight. I've only developed maybe a dozen rolls so far.

Am I crazy for thinking this stuff is gonna expire any time soon?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

Hahahahaha my god people actually buy lomo film?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ZippySLC posted:

out of a cannon into a garbage can

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can make redscale yourself SUPER easily. All you need is a full roll and an old roll that's been cut and still has the end hanging out.

Here's one I shot of my brother in Portugal years ago

I think the more you expose to your base film speed, the more pronounced the effect. If you start compensating, your images get less of the redscale effect (as far as I can remember!)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

Speaking of BW dev, I have a 1L bottle of Ilfotec HC and I am beginning to worry that I won't be able to use it up before it expires. It's the ultra concentrated syrup that I gotta mix into 1:31 dilutions for use (roughly 9 ml per batch). I've been mixing it directly rather than turning it into 4L of stock first. People say it has a shelf life of 6 months, and others say that it will last years and years if the bottle is sealed tight. I've only developed maybe a dozen rolls so far.

Am I crazy for thinking this stuff is gonna expire any time soon?

Squeeze out the air. Ilfotec HC (like HC-110) is sensitive to oxygenation and light. It'll last longer with less air in the bottle.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Came here to post this

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can make redscale yourself SUPER easily. All you need is a full roll and an old roll that's been cut and still has the end hanging out.

Here's one I shot of my brother in Portugal years ago

I think the more you expose to your base film speed, the more pronounced the effect. If you start compensating, your images get less of the redscale effect (as far as I can remember!)

This. If you compensate (2 or 3 stops) it has some really nice tones for portraits actually, in my opinion. Uncompensated all hell breaks loose and your pictures look like you've spent a season in hell or something. I've also just re-rolled some cheapo C-41 backwards. Redscale can be quite fun and is something that everybody should try once.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

Haha I know what you mean, I think it's because when you scan it yourself you probably correct the colours more accurately so it loses some of that hipster "film look".

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

ansel autisms posted:

Hahahahaha my god people actually buy lomo film?

It was $15 and I wanted to try redscale in a format that I could not gently caress up by doing it myself.

I was buying a Holga at the time, too. :ssh:

MrBlandAverage posted:

That's what I assumed would be the answer.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Push-processing can let you shoot at really high ISOs (Tri-X/HP5 can easily do 1600 or 3200)

As long as you love grain, you can easily push 6400 or 12800 with Tri-X and HP5.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Portra 400

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

The difference is nonexistent in terms of use.

Yup. Went to Citizens in Portland today and looked at a few different 4Ts (all priced ~$300) and realized how negligible the swap would be.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

You are underestimating the sexiness of getting an OM in black though.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I've got a black OM-D and the AE-1 in both black and silver so I think I'll be alright.

Truth be told I need to just stop being a stubborn bastard and get accustomed to shooting with the OM-D. I was recommended a Pentax ME which I've seen floating around Goodwill/etc. If I can find one for a decent price I might pick one up but honestly I don't know how much smaller I'd be able to go from my OM-D/pancake/body cap setup without sacrificing control or quality. I just need to stop being a baby and using my film SLRs as a crutch.

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 15, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
An AE-1 is honestly not some giant clunky brick of a camera - I sent mine around the world and so far it's made it Japan for sure and possibly Singapore (you know who you are: get back into that thread and give us some updates, dammit!)

Just shoot more. With every camera.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I got an excellent condition OM-2 yesterday for $60, pretty excited about taking it for a spin :)

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Seems like the AE-1 is the new ME Super.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Heavier, no Av mode. Doesn't keep me from owning two of them for some reason though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't have an AE-1 in front of me right now. They have shutter priority (Tv), don't they? Also, yeah, heavier. And you can amuse yourself by mounting "new-old-old-old-stock" L-lenses from the weirdo display of weirdo gear in that weirdo camera shop around the corner. Why yes, I am *COMPLETELY SERIOUS* about this very nice FD-Canon 50/1.4 L you've had sitting on that shelf since 1988 and that you're asking $600 for. Of course!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I don't have an AE-1 in front of me right now. They have shutter priority (Tv), don't they? Also, yeah, heavier. And you can amuse yourself by mounting "new-old-old-old-stock" L-lenses from the weirdo display of weirdo gear in that weirdo camera shop around the corner. Why yes, I am *COMPLETELY SERIOUS* about this very nice FD-Canon 50/1.4 L you've had sitting on that shelf since 1988 and that you're asking $600 for. Of course!

Shutter priority mode is completely useless. I have always hated that it's even a thing.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If any of you nerds have access to journals through a university or whatever, you can download a full version of the Darkroom Cookbook:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780240810553

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Shutter priority mode is completely useless. I have always hated that it's even a thing.

I agree for 99% of the shooting I do. But it's nice when I have a very particular shutter speed in mind for a specific reason. The only time I use Tv is when I'm shooting racecars - 1/100 on a short tele (around 100mm) makes for nicely dragged shutters and that impression of speed. Usually I care more about aperture than about shutter speed, as long as the shutter speed is at least fast enough for what I'm doing, while I (delude myself in thinking I) can see the difference between, say, f/5.6, f/8, and f/11 but 1/250 and 1/500 look the same unless I'm shooting something really twitchy.

But, yeah, I've never actually done that using film, just digital. My Konica FC-1 has Tv but no Av, and it takes some getting used to compared to my Minoltas or my Pentaxes from the same era. I find I take too many pictures wide-open on the basic consumer-grade zooms I have for that camera (which do not do well at f/4 or f/5.6 or whatever).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's a film that I hadn't seen before, Adox Color Implosion:
http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ProductByGroup.asp?PrGrp=238

From a quick glance on flickr it looks like Adox got a hold of a pile of very expired Vericolor and left it on the dashboard during the summer.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

There is definitely a market for that stuff, I dont really get it though.

I am loving the OM-1. Here are a few shots from a roll of expired Tmax 400 I shot yesterday.

Doubleview, July 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Caravan, Perth, July 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Has anyone ever done the experiment of limiting themselves to one type of film and one all-manual camera/lens combo for a few months? I'd like to give it a go when my bulk order of Tri-X arrives, anyone else interested in making it a challenge? While it could get boring being limited to black and white it would be good practice. Lately I have noticed that so many of my black and white shots don't quite convey what I was seeing because the detail or scene was too dependent on colour rather than just the light and composition.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

deaders posted:

Has anyone ever done the experiment of limiting themselves to one type of film and one all-manual camera/lens combo for a few months? I'd like to give it a go when my bulk order of Tri-X arrives, anyone else interested in making it a challenge? While it could get boring being limited to black and white it would be good practice. Lately I have noticed that so many of my black and white shots don't quite convey what I was seeing because the detail or scene was too dependent on colour rather than just the light and composition.

I do that with my Hasselblad, 80mm lens and Provia 100F. Pretty much my main combo for most of the last 2-3 years.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Interesting, I guess that is part of why you have such a consistent look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

deaders posted:

Has anyone ever done the experiment of limiting themselves to one type of film and one all-manual camera/lens combo for a few months?

Last 4 months i've only done hp5+ on 4x5 with mostly a 210mm lens (love that lens). And the 80mm on hasselblad. Hp5+ is easy to handle in my opinion. Not that I have a great deal of experience to go by...

Going to try this foma 200 on 8x10, because it's cheap(ish) and has pretty good reviews, if I like it i might stick with it for all formats once i burn through the rest of my ilford.