Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

renderful posted:

Saw him ---^ (AtomTM) live in Boulder, Co. That dude is amazing. Nothing but him, 2 video screens and an MPC 3000. One of the video screens was displaying the MPC's VGA output, so it was almost like watching live coding. Senor Coconut is some great poo poo as well.

I saw his Pop HD show in Helsinki a while back. Was definitely some tight poo poo.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what kind of software do people like AtomTM and, say, Kraftwerk use for their visuals? Like there's obviously some live manipulation as well as correlation between the visuals and the music going on. How do you do something like that?

e: can't write nowadays it seems

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Fors Yard posted:

Someone buy one of these and make it a modular synth:

Oh man, I actually used to have one of those.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I saw his Pop HD show hin Helsinki a while back. Was definitely some tight poo poo.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what kind of software do people like AtomTM and, say, Kraftwerk for their visuals? Like there's obviously some live manipulation as well as correlation between the visuals and the music going on. How do you do something like that?
No idea what they're using, but I could tell you what I do/have done. I use a couple different methods and am constantly exploring new ways to do stuff that links live sets or live performance with live visuals (clips, pre-renders, and/or generative content).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

minidracula posted:

No idea what they're using, but I could tell you what I do/have done. I use a couple different methods and am constantly exploring new ways to do stuff that links live sets or live performance with live visuals (clips, pre-renders, and/or generative content).

I'd love to hear about your methods! I'm currently gearing up for my first live shows and would love to have some visuals as well, if I have the time to make some (probably won't, but maybe for any future shows, then).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

snorch posted:

Whatup fellow S2000 dude, what do you use yours for? I use mine mostly just for gritting stuff up due to lack of a proper SCSI cable.

Not a huge amount right now sadly, I wish we (myself and my housemate who split own most of the gear here) could just take a month off work, get a workflow working and write write write. I'm promoting a club night now so I'm hoping if that takes off it can give me the inspiration to put a live rig together and ego book ourselves at some point. It's been too long since I've gotten to be creative (even if my creativity is pretty basic at best!).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I still think the Volca Keys is limited in synthesis and growl but I've turned around and started feeling it's a keeper, it makes a great tiny machine for making modern art gallery synthesizer music with, 70's prog rock B-side stuff when you crank up the internal delay.
Feels good and remember to record your jams guys, every little minute, dangit :smith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I always record my jams. :colbert:
http://soundcloud.com/civic-silver/late-night-doodle

Even if I only average three or four a year. :smith: Having no free time sucks.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I'd love to hear about your methods! I'm currently gearing up for my first live shows and would love to have some visuals as well, if I have the time to make some (probably won't, but maybe for any future shows, then).

I handle our live visuals on some gigs (sometimes we have a pro do it).
I have Resolume on a Macbook and a MIDI controller (novaton remote zero, also mapped to handle vocal fx) mapped so that I have 3 layers of 8 clips in 3 decks and effect macros on the knobs, beat repeats, tap tempo etc. Really simple setup as I'm doing other stuff as well.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I also recommend Resolume, as it makes it really easy to create an effective visuals set that is audio responsive, fluid and interesting, without spending weeks programming up an overly-complex yet repetitive single effect in the "deeper" solutions like vvvv et al.

Basically, it's Ableton Live for video clips with audio-reactive Photoshop blend modes between channels. Spend an afternoon harvesting your favourite 1920s Dada clips from YouTube, put some fiddle time into Resolume setting up effects and, bang, you're done. And it works well being flown in realtime and then being left to do it's own thing unsupervised.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Are video samplers still 1k used? I remember oogling a korg something or other when it came out.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well I found a bug in the TR-8. When you turn off MIDI send, it still sends the default channel 10.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

ynohtna posted:

I also recommend Resolume, as it makes it really easy to create an effective visuals set that is audio responsive, fluid and interesting, without spending weeks programming up an overly-complex yet repetitive single effect in the "deeper" solutions like vvvv et al.
I'm considering Resolume as a way to make visuals for my YouTube uploads. Their forum has ridiculous restrictions on the search making it so you can't search for the most basic fundamental things, and the user guide that's available is really old and doesn't contain any information about rendering to file or recording, etc.

Any Resolume users here who've used it to prepare pre-rendered material? If so, how does that work? The only other tool of this kind I know of is "I Love QC" but that seems even more cryptic as far as using it for recorded video goes.

Other tools like the SoundSpectrum visualizers forbid use in videos and performances, etc.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm reworking my patchbay game a bit to suit both my line mixer and a desk mixer which I plan to use as my main board and monitoring device. Most of the in/outs have been laid for the line mixer and all my synths, the 2nd patchbay has a bunch of my MOTU interface in/outs and I'd like to route a bunch of FX send/returns and some CV signals as well but I'm starting to run out of space. I'm also worried I might be creating some kind of bad audio loop between the line mixer and the desk mixer (the line mixer runs alt 3/4 and tape out to the desk mixer) and the audio interface (both mixers run into separate channels in the MOTU). Wondering if someone can help me figure that out before I hook everything up and potentially blow my speakers out.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I'm reworking my patchbay game a bit to suit both my line mixer and a desk mixer which I plan to use as my main board and monitoring device. Most of the in/outs have been laid for the line mixer and all my synths, the 2nd patchbay has a bunch of my MOTU interface in/outs and I'd like to route a bunch of FX send/returns and some CV signals as well but I'm starting to run out of space. I'm also worried I might be creating some kind of bad audio loop between the line mixer and the desk mixer (the line mixer runs alt 3/4 and tape out to the desk mixer) and the audio interface (both mixers run into separate channels in the MOTU). Wondering if someone can help me figure that out before I hook everything up and potentially blow my speakers out.
You're upside down, man. Instrument outputs need to come in the rear upper ports. Interface/mixer inputs connect to the rear lower ports. The signal flows from the top down.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

You're upside down, man. Instrument outputs need to come in the rear upper ports. Interface/mixer inputs connect to the rear lower ports. The signal flows from the top down.

Oh yeah, disregard that one label on the left hand side

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Oh yeah, disregard that one label on the left hand side

Just so we're clear, the labels you have on the left are correct. Top is "out from instrument" and bottom "in to mixer/interface". It's everything you have assigned to the jacks that's upside down. Forgive if you already understood this; I couldn't tell from your reply.

Other than that I don't see any looping issues, however I don't understand the intended workflow with the two analog mixers.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 11, 2014

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Startyde posted:

Are video samplers still 1k used? I remember oogling a korg something or other when it came out.

They're never cheap, but as they're basically computers it's fair to use a laptop for the visuals. VDMX is the poo poo.

That KORG is the Entrancer and if you try pick up one on eBay I will have to fight you for it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Radiapathy posted:

I'm considering Resolume as a way to make visuals for my YouTube uploads. Their forum has ridiculous restrictions on the search making it so you can't search for the most basic fundamental things, and the user guide that's available is really old and doesn't contain any information about rendering to file or recording, etc.

Any Resolume users here who've used it to prepare pre-rendered material? If so, how does that work? The only other tool of this kind I know of is "I Love QC" but that seems even more cryptic as far as using it for recorded video goes.

Other tools like the SoundSpectrum visualizers forbid use in videos and performances, etc.

Yeah, I've done it for pre-rendered stuff. (lovely examples: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QloYcZqHRiE & http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQwWBbMbwVQ)

The trick is to route your MIDI controllers through a DAW and then - via IAC buss or MIDIYoke - into Resolume so you can edit/re-record/loop the automation alongside your audio. Recording Resolume's output is done via the "record" button in the middle right of its UI, but note that it doesn't record any input audio (at least since the last time I looked) so you'll have to mux that in once you're finished.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

Just so we're clear, the labels you have on the left are correct. Top is "out from instrument" and bottom "in to mixer/interface". It's everything you have assigned to the jacks that's upside down. Forgive if you already understood this; I couldn't tell from your reply.

Other than that I don't see any looping issues, however I don't understand the intended workflow with the two analog mixers.

Hahaha, ok well this is why I ask an absurd amount of easy questions :). For certain kinds of simple routings (like passing an instrument in) it seemed to work OK but yeah you're definitely right that I've reversed things. Don't drink and do patchbays kids.

The utility of the 2 mixers is for my own ease of use (and because I need a lot of inputs). Right now my line mixer is the more powerful of the two (4 effects sends, 16 stereo inputs) so I've got that set up as the primary and the mixing board is there for extra inputs, but soon I'll be reordering it. The line mixer is great for all my rack gear and every channel has something running into it at this point. I can bring the audio from the line mixer into the main mixing console and mix it against drums, effects, whatever else I want to plug into the available channels without having to rely on my DAW. I do a lot of jamming so this helps my workflow. When it comes time to record I can then fire up the DAW and record both mixers independently OR record just the main mixing board if I've mixed something properly through that.

In terms of recording the outputs of the mixers, I'm kind of wondering if I should be using the Tape outputs or the Main outputs from the mixers into the MOTU. I think the tape outputs give me a balanced signal which may make it easier when leveling the recording in the MOTU. I'm also kind of wondering what effect running synths through one mixer and into another might have on the sound. From my ears the difference sounds negligible but I don't really know.

Also on another note, I noticed our good friend FLX is on the new Muffwiggler compilation! You can get a copy here https://compilationz.bandcamp.com/album/from-the-wires. There's some pretty neat stuff on the album actually and the guy who put it together is a really awesome dude. Some of the finest robot farts the net has to offer.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

For certain kinds of simple routings (like passing an instrument in) it seemed to work OK
Yeah, inverting the flow of the upper/lower connections will work until you start trying to patch things in front, since in default position you're just completing a circuit.

I'm kind of wondering if I should be using the Tape outputs or the Main outputs from the mixers into the MOTU. I think the tape outputs give me a balanced signal which may make it easier when leveling the recording in the MOTU.
What kind of jacks are the tape outs? (XLR = nearly always balanced, RCA = never balanced, 1/4" = can go either way, need to refer to manual). If they're 1/4" TS (unbalanced) and you use a TRS/balanced cable you can lose a huge amount of signal between the mixer and the interface (and also obviously lose any benefit that using balanced outs + cables would afford). Your mains are almost certainly balanced outs, though.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

If they're 1/4" TS (unbalanced) and you use a TRS/balanced cable you can lose a huge amount of signal

Oh. Oh.

I wish I had known this before blowing money on balanced patch cables.

For the patchbay itself it doesn't matter much, right?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

Oh. Oh.

I wish I had known this before blowing money on balanced patch cables.

For the patchbay itself it doesn't matter much, right?
I actually did the same thing a couple years ago, because a lot of my very old Hosa instrument cables were giving out and someone on GS told me it was safe to replace them with balanced cables. A few months later when I read about the signal loss potential I did some tests and found that in some cases I was in fact losing nearly 30db between my instrument and my interface if it was a synth with unbalanced outs (which is most of them) and I used balanced cables between synth->patchbay and patchbay->interface. The specific loss results varied by device and cable (exact numbers ranged from 4.6db up to 27.8db), but there was some amount of loss in all cases. I've gradually been replacing the unneeded balanced cables with really good instrument cables since then.

It might vary by patch bay model, but at least in my own tests, I didn't see any signal loss within the patch bay itself; it was only the links between devices that suffered, so you're probably right on the second count.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 12, 2014

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Re: the Resolume talk.

I do a bit of video triggering with Ableton sending to VDMX using LiveGrabber. Its a small pack of Max devices that sends OSC data. I've actually got one machine running music and hosting LiveGrabber that triggers a laptop running VDMX over wifi.

http://showsync.info/index.php/tools/livegrabber/

Its stupid easy on the outset but you can get buried pretty deep within VDMX - its really deep. Then you start wanting to make custom quartz comps and your life is over.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
So I helped a local synth studio move to their new location today, and I was honoured and trusted with a very special passenger.

Roland System 700 :woop:

Net worth of the car increased by 2000% :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

They let you put that in a saab?? :v:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oh my God I would not have been able to drive normally. I'm assuming you drove really slowly like if you were carrying a newborn.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I kickstarted the dumb (awesome) tuna knobs thing. The capacitive knobs for iPads. Gonna be awesome.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Would anyone be interested in a Roland SH-201? I had a lot of fun with it but it was in storage for a couple years after moving and I haven't used it once since I got it back.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I kickstarted the dumb (awesome) tuna knobs thing. The capacitive knobs for iPads. Gonna be awesome.

I've backed some dumb stuff on Kickstarter as well and I'm all for weird new/unneccessary technology... but those knobs ... no way! Before I carry a pouch full of extremely expensive suction cups, I'll just throw a small USB MIDI controller wirh real knobs in my backpack. :haw:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the visuals stuff, y'all! I'll have a look at Resolume when I get back home from Germany. Don't know if my piece of poo poo laptop will be able to handle something like that, but it's worth a try.

I guess another possibility would be to make some simple animated loops with the artwork for my releases or something and just have those play in the background.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Startyde posted:

They let you put that in a saab?? :v:

Citroën ZX 'Reflex' :colbert:

net work error posted:

Oh my God I would not have been able to drive normally. I'm assuming you drove really slowly like if you were carrying a newborn.

Luckily I had somewhat of a learning curve, starting with a DX7, working my way up along some Korg MS-series, towards a PolySix to some Roland X0X gear. :v:
And I almost got hit by a city bus that was running a red light.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Some of you may remember last year there was a special event in a forest in Scotland, where a radio station was set up on a mountain to broadcast FM music to no one (apart from goats). Well it turns out that quite a few people camped in the forest to listen to this one-off music broadcast, and they are going to do it again. They are also going have a library out there. I don't know why.

If you need a little push to get something finished or a deadline would be good for starting a new recording then here is something to get you going.

Here's the contact again.

http://thedarkoutside.tumblr.com/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sorry, C-pillar and wheels looked like a 900 to me.

Thanks, I really wanted to do this last year. Definitely going to send him something.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Hello fellow Redditors,

A couple weeks ago I ran across this video of a guy doing stunt flying in GTA 5. After a few seconds of listening to the soundtrack, I remember thinking, "Hahaa, sounds like someone torrented the Heavyocity libraries" because literally every sound in that video's backing track is a sample or loop from a Heavyocity product, not even processed.

But then I noticed in the video credits he said the theme was done by these guys who apparently have actual blockbuster soundtrack credits. Heavyocity sample after heavyocity sample after heavyocity sample.

I am in the wrong motherfucking line of business, man.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
It's not in the talent, it's who you know and how you market yourself. Always has been.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radiapathy posted:

Hello fellow Redditors,
Rude.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hey this is really awesome. Its like dreamy Depeche Mode and its almost instantly hooky. Also check the factory 808 samples used with no fucks given.

https://soundcloud.com/sons-of-magdalene

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magiccarpet posted:

Also check the factory 808 samples used with no fucks given.

If you haven't made a track using your computers General MIDI 808 & 909 drum sets then you're missing out.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ynohtna posted:

If you haven't made a track using your computers General MIDI 808 & 909 drum sets then you're missing out.

One of my favourite 'kits' is the TR-707 kit on my JX-305. Which hilariously does not sound anything like the actual TR-707 I have sitting on my desk. The kicks in it are far bassier, and the snares much punchier, but in the best 80's way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ynohtna posted:

Does the PMA-5 totally fake 808/909/303 combo count?