Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nikolaos posted:

1% more than you'd have otherwise.

I crushed one and then got a Silverback Spear from the next Grave Warden I fought, so that's enough proof that they work for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

sushibandit posted:

Non-infinite-supply consumables seem like they're meant to be used in pvp/boss fights anyway.

Even in DS1 there was "RPG hoarding syndrome" where you only got something like 5 Divine Blessings (as an example) per run through the game so nobody ever used them for anything when popping a humanity was just as good and you could infinitely farm those.

I'll freely spam consumables I can buy or farm infinite quantities of in pve though. Gotta love those holy water urns. Do effigies even heal you or can you use them while human? Haven't checked.

By running through the other memories as well, you get 5x souls of a hero in addition to a bunch of other stuff per aescetic burned. It's a great way to massively boost your SM/SL before going into NG+.

If you're a caster just kill the first necro then run back to the start of the arena and manually shoot spells at the chariot when it goes by. If you get it low enough, you trigger a special "finish him" moment. I found that method much easier as a caster than running all the way around and lowering the gate.

Holy crap I had no idea I could shoot the chariot while it was in motion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nohopeindope posted:

Holy crap I had no idea I could shoot the chariot while it was in motion.

If you've got a decent ranged option it's easier than pulling the lever and fighting normally, that's for sure.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

With that much int you can use Yearn though which works really well on the skeletons, if you drop it on the middle of the track they'll just hang out there for a few seconds and get run over. It's more interesting than just shooting the chariot for 5 minutes, although you do get to make fun of his turbo plague pony as long as you want if you go for that option.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I'm still upset that Yearn did nothing in the Rat Vanguard fight. After that I just ignored the spell completely. :(

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
Yea I've been rocking yearn just fine. It'd the horse breath that'd my big problem. The horse tends to corner me in an alcove right after I get it one on one.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is yearn any different from using an alluring skull, other than that it doesn't cost 300 souls or whatever?

e: Does anyone else think there should be a "light your torch" pyromancy? Miracles and sorceries both get a spell to replace a cheap consumable item (Homeward and Yearn), but pyromancy seems like it's just left in the dust.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 14, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is yearn any different from using an alluring skull, other than that it doesn't cost 300 souls or whatever?

e: Does anyone else think there should be a "light your torch" pyromancy? Miracles and sorceries both get a spell to replace a cheap consumable item (Homeward and Yearn), but pyromancy seems like it's just left in the dust.

I was sort of disappointed with the way that Pyromancy, despite being the control of fire, had no interaction I could discern with the torch mechanics.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: Does anyone else think there should be a "light your torch" pyromancy?

There's probably a collective 5 pages of people asking that very question.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Lasts longer, and seems to attract from farther away.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You have a bit finer control over where it goes, I guess. It goes in a straight line instead of a short arc.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I always thought there would be a special pyromancy or something as a reward if you lit all the torches in the game. I was disappointed to find out this was not the case. :(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

Shrine of Amana is kind of annoying, but if you have absolutely no long-range weaponry then it's going to be an unbelievable nightmare. It's very pretty, though, and at least there's plenty of bonfires.

Lion Warriors are fairly slow, if you just want to fight Scorpion Lady you actually can sprint past them just fine? If you actually want to kill them then use one of the many Greatswords you'll have picked up by now; you trade attack speed for considerably improved reach. Just upgrade it a few times beforehand.

One weapon won't get you through the entire game, you need to switch it up based on the demands of the area, although a mace can get you through a great majority of the game as long as you keep upgrading it.

Yeah uh

upgrade your weapons.

Levelling up gets insanely expensive for marginal improvements very quickly, but a +8 mace makes an incredible mess of just about anything that stands in your way.

Now honestly, if I was still trying to use a longsword, or axe, or spear as a primary (Chariot lance! It has the same scaling and does more base damage than my +0 mace-oh wait it R1 hits people for like 100 less damage gently caress me)I could see wanting to kill myself without significant upgrades. Because it doesn't feel like strike is overpowered so much as strike is the only damage that isn't needleesly weak. But as it is now, I only threw some of my titanite shard at my Mace/Large club/Sea Bow/Grym shield/Spear to hit +3 recently just because I could, they were my favorite things, and I wanted to always one-shot spiders with the large club R1, instead of only every three out of four times.

Huge 16 Weight boss lance with better base damage and the same scaling, shouldn't be struggling to compete with a dinky start of game 4 weight +0 mace outside of it's R2 RAMMING SPEED. And I do not mean this in a "Well, Strike is OP" sense, I mean it in a make other weapons worth a loving drat if they list as much or more damage sense.

Plus, until titanite materials are infinite and I am far enough to low effort infinite loop farm, not really worth the time and effort compared to last game. Last game probably 1/4 to 1/3 my playtime was spend racking up materials to upgrade my toy box both out of need and for fun. This game I see the extra hoops to jump through and just :effort:

EDIT: vvv Yup, I saw that place was full of fire and lava and just turned right the gently caress around. It worked for my reaction to Lost Izalath for the first time, but again it seems the lessons learned from the last game only make me WORSE, instead of Better at this one :downs: I have the nice lady, but even if and when she unlocks infinite shards, see "Farming up souls/materials has more hoops in this game than the last one". Oh goody they have infinite shards! Now to farm- *everything that gives more than 200 souls is extinct* Meh, nevermind.

Also how does the upgraded Lance being better change the fact a boss soul weapon starts off doing worse damage to enemies than a +0 start of game weapon that weighs a fourth as much? I'm sure a LOT of weapons will outperform a +0 weapon after several upgrades.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 14, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most boss weapons upgrade to have a lot more damage (150%) than normal weapons do (100%) compared to what they start with. The chariot lance is both cool and good, and also cool. If you aren't willing to upgrade things that doesn't make them bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:psyduck: That post was really hard to read

If you're at the Shaded Ruins already then Chloanne should be selling you at least infinite Titanite and possibly Large Titanite. They're pretty cheap, plop down a white soapstone in front of a boss room if you need money quickly.

You do have Chloanne in Majula, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

:psyduck: That post was really hard to read

If you're at the Shaded Ruins already then Chloanne should be selling you at least infinite Titanite and possibly Large Titanite. They're pretty cheap, plop down a white soapstone in front of a boss room if you need money quickly.

You do have Chloanne in Majula, right?

Not necessarily, you need to have beaten Iron Keep to get Chloanne to sell infinite small shards.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can get infinite large shards from McDuff way before Chloanne starts carrying them, by the way. Basically, once you've cleared Iron Keep you can +9 anything you want. You can buy shards from Chloanne and McDuff and get titanite chunks from the bell keeper covenant.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ugh.

Sorry, I think I'm going to continue having Wrong Opinions by playing with KB+M because this is ridiculous. I hooked up a Dualshock 3 because there was no other way to get camera rotation to work in the character creation screen. Then I tried actually playing the game and I nearly got killed in Things Betwixt ffs. I've done a stint playing other games with gamepads but it's just not for me.

If only they didn't do that silly single/double click discrimination which introduces a significant mouse button lag then the mouse buttons would actually be useful as controls. They could have just made Shift+Click a strong attack instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Most boss weapons upgrade to have a lot more damage (150%) than normal weapons do (100%) compared to what they start with. The chariot lance is both cool and good, and also cool. If you aren't willing to upgrade things that doesn't make them bad.

The problem is there isn't enough dragon bones to find to get more than two boss items upgraded without using ascetics, and even then not entirely unless you play the crow roulette or get really lucky in Aldia's Keep. I can't upgrade Moonlight and the Defender's Shield to full without doing so, for example.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hopefully the DLC areas have better ways to get dragon bones and twinkling titanite. And also hopefully you don't have to be halfway through the game to start them like the Artorias stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hopefully the DLC areas have better ways to get dragon bones and twinkling titanite. And also hopefully you don't have to be halfway through the game to start them like the Artorias stuff.

It's been mentioned you need to have beaten Undead Crypt to access them.

e:V
or that

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty sure they said the only thing you need to start the DLC is the ashen mist heart.

e^^^^: or King's Ring I guess?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

More like 3/4, you need the Ashen Mist Heart to access them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

:sigh: Of course. Well, I guess it kinda makes sense if they're supposed to be end game difficulty but still, I'd like to be able to go in at low level without having to just ignore the souls I pick up for most of the game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dragon Aerie gave me enough dragon bones to max my Defender Greatsword, but I can see it being a problem if you wanted to do two weapons on that path.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Section Z posted:

Also how does the upgraded Lance being better change the fact a boss soul weapon starts off doing worse damage to enemies than a +0 start of game weapon that weighs a fourth as much? I'm sure a LOT of weapons will outperform a +0 weapon after several upgrades.

The mace is a short ranged weapon that only hits directly in front of you. That's its disadvantage, its advantage is high damage. And to say you were complaining about feeling as though you're barely getting by in the game rather than being powerful why are you so reluctant to upgrade your drat weapons like three people have told you so far.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I sort of want to try out a hexer who uses DEX weapons in their main hand in NG. Is that too much stuff going on to spec properly?

Regardless, what's a good place to get DEX to?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If the character is going to be magic first, then physical weapon, you should get DEX/STR to whatever they need to be to wield the weapon and then just upgrade the weapon itself instead so you can focus stats on INT/FTH.

If the character is going to be physical weapon first, then magic, you should get your INT/FTH to where it needs to be to use your spells/hexes, then mix and match upgrading it and DEX to your liking. Do note that DEX scaling kinda sucks in DS2 though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boss weapons suck poo poo when they're unupgraded, which is kind of dumb considering you're starved for dragon bones until the end game. I wish they were more like the twinkling titanite stuff where they're only 2/3 of the the damage unupgraded.

Beer Jerky
Nov 3, 2011
I had a fun online encounter the other day. Summoned someone at the Brighstone Cove Army Camp bonfire, and he immediately disconnected via black soapstone. I summoned him again when his sign reappeared, mostly to just point at him and hop backwards a bunch, but he instantly started flipping his poo poo over voice about COME ON MAN JESUS WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME gently caress I'M JUST TRYING TO HELP MY FRIEND!!!!! in the nasaliest whiny voice, and disconnected again. So I kept summoning him, over and over, alternating between disconnecting him myself and wasting his time completing the area. Who really needs help beating the congregation? I summoned because I figured a dude wanted easy souls for a short area + boss. But he gave up disconnecting after the fifth or so summon and just sat in my universe, complaining endlessly and repeating "I'm not going to help you." like it was the most damning action possible and I'd be lost without him. So after about 10 minutes of just waiting around and being AFK, I disconnected him. Beat the boss in like 30 seconds, thanks to my boy Benhart. His last words were an exasperated "Thank you".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's really confusing because you can just use the name engraved ring to get rid of 99% of the players that could summon you (and just switch to another goddess if someone starts trolling you)

The only words I ever heard over voice was a sudden WHAT THE gently caress!!! from someone who summoned me right as he got destroyed by Velstadt. I later turned off voice.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Beer Jerky posted:

I had a fun online encounter the other day. Summoned someone at the Brighstone Cove Army Camp bonfire, and he immediately disconnected via black soapstone. I summoned him again when his sign reappeared, mostly to just point at him and hop backwards a bunch, but he instantly started flipping his poo poo over voice about COME ON MAN JESUS WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME gently caress I'M JUST TRYING TO HELP MY FRIEND!!!!! in the nasaliest whiny voice, and disconnected again. So I kept summoning him, over and over, alternating between disconnecting him myself and wasting his time completing the area. Who really needs help beating the congregation? I summoned because I figured a dude wanted easy souls for a short area + boss. But he gave up disconnecting after the fifth or so summon and just sat in my universe, complaining endlessly and repeating "I'm not going to help you." like it was the most damning action possible and I'd be lost without him. So after about 10 minutes of just waiting around and being AFK, I disconnected him. Beat the boss in like 30 seconds, thanks to my boy Benhart. His last words were an exasperated "Thank you".

Wait, there's voice communication?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You have to enable it in the options because ingoing and outgoing are both disabled by default (thank god) but yes, DS2 has voice chat.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

If only they didn't do that silly single/double click discrimination which introduces a significant mouse button lag then the mouse buttons would actually be useful as controls. They could have just made Shift+Click a strong attack instead.
Edit: Nevermind, just saw in your post-history that you already knew how to fix the kbam controls.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I was shading for this dude in the Shaded Ruins, and in thoughtless (albeit kind) moment dropped my Ring of Whispers for him so he could talk to Tark.
Yeah. I know.
I don't suppose there's another one lying about somewhere? I never got to talk to him after killing his ladyfriend
Oh well. At least I didn't kill Ornifex this time.

Also, why do I get summoned at a ridiculous rate for the Prowling Magus, but cannot find a single sign for Freya?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

HatJudge posted:

Also, why do I get summoned at a ridiculous rate for the Prowling Magus, but cannot find a single sign for Freya?
I think because most people just summon help to get people their medals there. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Same with the twin Dragonriders. Can't even feel bad about summoning people for those bosses.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I had exactly 1 invader until Belfry and then a million of them proceeded to invade me while I was pissfarting around with the bell tower and trying to rematch the gargoyles. All unplayable lag.

Also having trouble finding people to summon and help out, is there a trick to it?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The two Belfry areas are special PvP zones. Entering one of them causes the game server to start yanking any members of the Bell Defender covenant currently wearing the covenant ring into your game to attack you. Joining the covenant doesn't help, entering the belfry still gets you attacked.

If you've already got the gate open then you can rush through the area and hit the fog gate before invaders have time to sync in and complete the invasion animation. Otherwise, well, both Belfries are optional, although the fight with the Lost Sinner is slightly harder if you don't get a key from belfry Luna that lets you enter the side doors in Lost Sinner's arena to light up the area.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Matchbox posted:

Also having trouble finding people to summon and help out, is there a trick to it?

Be alive. You can't summon while hollow, the signs don't even show up. Otherwise not really, match making works the same for coop as it does for invasions so as long as your soul memory isn't ridiculously high/low for the area you should be able to find a sign or two. Most people drop theirs just outside of boss doors, though. Only the small white soapstone rewards you for helping outside of the boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

HatJudge posted:

The route to actually get to Freya is probably the roughest in the game, especially if you're a spellcaster that has no decent melee weapon. I also found that the chances of the host winning isn't particularly good since they always die to that laser attack or get mobbed by spiders. Ashen Knight Boyd is probably the best NPC summon too so I think a lot of people don't really need to wait for player phantoms.

The two places I found the easiest to find a summon at was at the Skeleton Kings and the King's Gate bonfire since they're areas that people need help with and are extremely easy to win with more than one person.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 15, 2014