Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Dirt posted:

Funny thing about Upper Michigan: It's a solid red voting block, just about everyone is a Republican, with one Rep for the whole area(and he is insufferable). But guess who the biggest employer in the whole area is:

the state of Michigan

I find that oddly hilarious for some reason.

My dad hates the government, identifies as a libertarian, and encouraged all his children to get a government job. (He worked for the public school system after he got laid off from private industry, and my mom has always been either a school or a public librarian)

So yeah, conservatives are massive hypocrites, what else is new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ReindeerF posted:

It's basically Milton from Office Space. That's who is running the CIA.

Suddenly a whole lot of Cold War bullshit is making sense.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
My favorite was the libertarian I used to play wow with. He worked at the IRS.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah, that and their comments fit perfectly with their own email version of 'the Hunt for Red October'.

I'd definitely watch the movie if I felt there was even a small chance it'd be full of insane office drama, but I know it's just another boring war movie :(

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
I thought The Hunt for Red October was pretty good. Not much of an office drama though

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i was trying to take a picture of my cat but my phone's camera crashed. ever since the camera app updated it has been poo poo. and i am running stock android!!!!!!!!!!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Swan Oat posted:

i was trying to take a picture of my cat but my phone's camera crashed. ever since the camera app updated it has been poo poo. and i am running stock android!!!!!!!!!!

My YouTube app is broken. I had to get a third party one that only works half the time.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

They're hilarious in how anal they all are. The one Joe posted about the grapes is great. "I do not condone putting salad bar items into the Jazz Salad..."

Think about the kind of people who manage to get past the background checks. It's all hyper-anal type a Mormons.

Dirt posted:

Funny thing about Upper Michigan: It's a solid red voting block, just about everyone is a Republican, with one Rep for the whole area(and he is insufferable). But guess who the biggest employer in the whole area is:

the state of Michigan

That's the case with pretty much every rural area, government services are the largest employer by far.

e: Anyone seen these popping up lately? I guess it's the new hotness in publicly announcing you have tiny genitalia:

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 15, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

ReindeerF posted:

They're hilarious in how anal they all are. The one Joe posted about the grapes is great. "I do not condone putting salad bar items into the Jazz Salad..."

we tend to think of spies as being like james bond but really, when you think about, what sort of person is going to actually be good at the intelligence analysis work? that personality type has much more in common with a neckbeard than with a shaved gorilla in a suit

e beaten

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a lot of cold war bullshit makes more sense if you assume cobra commander is behind it. hypersonic ramjet nuclear delivery vehicle that flies at treetop elevation so it not only barfs radiation everywhere but also flattens the countryside? yessss thissss will DESSSTROY GIJOE!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

the state of Michigan

I actually have an uncle who lives in the Upper Peninsula. A couple months ago he posted a picture of some Michigan State Police interoffice correspondence about him on Facebook. It literally describes him as "a long haired radical, who is active in demonstrations and political functions".

Frankly, I'm kind of jealous.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

zoux posted:

Upper MI is pretty militia-ey

Once you get north of about Alma (my lovely hometown) things get pretty weird, apart from the occasional oasis like Mt. Pleasant or Marquette. When I was a teenager in the 90s I remember a lot of the older guys I knew talking about going up to Clare for their super secret and important militia training weekends, which I assume consisted of drinking and trying to decipher secret UN signals on the back of road signs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

I'm reminded of when National Review decided that The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, The Beatles' Revolution, and The Clash's Rock the Casbah (and 47 other songs) were conservative anthems.
I thought praising The Beatles was apostasy at Buckley's old rag?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I only listen to the Mortal Kombat OST and the sound of leaves hitting the ground at double reverse speed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

illrepute posted:

we tend to think of spies as being like james bond but really, when you think about, what sort of person is going to actually be good at the intelligence analysis work? that personality type has much more in common with a neckbeard than with a shaved gorilla in a suit

e beaten
Oh yeah, I wasn't actually surprised. I have friends out that way. It's just funny how anal they all are and you get to see it and not just assume it or guess it. I mean you're reading their actual anal words.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ReindeerF posted:

anal words.

one of those tag cloud things in the shape of goatse?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I remember reading at one point that accounting was a really good degree if you wanted to work for the fbi.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

razorrozar posted:

one of those tag cloud things in the shape of goatse?
Or possibly just words being squeezed out of a sweaty anus.

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember reading at one point that accounting was a really good degree if you wanted to work for the fbi.
My friend who's with them majored in Japanese in university and got his masters in computer science. I think interning with their VC (or whatever they call it) outfit was how he got in, though.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

comes along bort posted:

e: Anyone seen these popping up lately? I guess it's the new hotness in publicly announcing you have tiny genitalia:

That has just got to be begging for massive C&D orders from the companies involved due to improper use of trademarked elements.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Nerds who base their identity exclusively on what they buy are terrible. Ponies and guns aren't all that different really.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: I've seen a "God Exists" sticker but that's it.

Dirt posted:

Total derail here: So they are doing construction on my street, a big project, putting in a new city sewer system(I am on the edge of the city, and have a septic tank at the moment). It's a huge project, and will go on all summer long. But today they got to my house, and the end of my yard by the street currently has a giant hole and a big rear end bulldozer sitting in it.

But all the vibrations from digging my yard up today caused a window on my front porch to crack. Can I put a claim in with the city for a repair fee for that, or am I just poo poo out of luck? I'm sure I can file a claim on my homeowners insurance, but I think the city is responsible.

I'm new to this whole homeowner thing, so I don't know if that's a thing or what.

I bet this never happened to you when Bush was president :smug:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

That has just got to be begging for massive C&D orders from the companies involved due to improper use of trademarked elements.

Cease and desist, "the internet."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cercadelmar posted:

Nerds who base their identity exclusively on what they buy are terrible. Ponies and guns aren't all that different really.

Hmmm wonder if someone has tried loving a gun and what were the results?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cercadelmar posted:

It's hard out there for a conservative brony.

(Only once in my lifetime I want "Pony" + "[stupid poo poo]" to not turn up a multiple digit amount of google results. :smith:)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everytime I hear some politician or public official use the term "disconnect" as a noun as in "there's a disconnect between thing a and thing b" I literally gnash my teeth.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I had a realization the other day about ponies. Ever since they became popular, I've seen massive amounts less Homestuck about. And given that the troll typing makes my eyes burn, for this, I thank them.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Do you live in like some libertarian hellhole?
yeah, america!

*the crowd starts hooting and hollering*

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Everytime I hear some politician or public official use the term "disconnect" as a noun as in "there's a disconnect between thing a and thing b" I literally gnash my teeth.

It does grate on the ears, but what would you use instead?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Gap" or "disparity". Or you know the noun form of the verb disconnect, which is disconnection. Or "these two things/concepts do not connect".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Warcabbit posted:

I had a realization the other day about ponies. Ever since they became popular, I've seen massive amounts less Homestuck about. And given that the troll typing makes my eyes burn, for this, I thank them.

Well Homestuck hasn't updated in like a year so that has a lot more to do with it.

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well Homestuck hasn't updated in like a year so that has a lot more to do with it.

Trap sprung

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
did i miss 90's music chat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQjNpXsx68

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Speaking as a guy who's had like four Homestuck avatars I don't think there's a whole lot of overlap between Homestuck fans (largely Tumblr snowflakes) and bronies (largely Reddit neckbeards). It's a coincidence, in other words.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it like a comic or what? I looked it up one time and it was some sort of adventure game?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Is it like a comic or what? I looked it up one time and it was some sort of adventure game?

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HOMESTUCK :unsmigghh:

no but seriously it's a webcomic with a weird mixed-media format based largely on old adventure games that ran on reader submissions for a while, then it got really text-heavy with a zillion new characters based on Internet nerd archetypes, at which point Tumblr went batshit crazy for it and it grew beyond all control. That's most of what there is to say about it.

e: The fandom is terrifyingly insane and the creator had to move at least twice because of them, but that should probably have been implied by the word "Tumblr"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I swear this, that I will never read Homestuck.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Aren't there like millions of homestuck words?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pope Guilty posted:

It was always kinda text heavy, and it is very long now, so yeah probably.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

The "search" page on the site is literally just a dump of all the text in the comic with links to the pages it's from, so you can CTRL+F through it to find what you're looking for. It had to be split up into multiple pages because it kept crashing people's browsers with the sheer quantity of text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

loquacius posted:

The "search" page on the site is literally just a dump of all the text in the comic with links to the pages it's from, so you can CTRL+F through it to find what you're looking for. It had to be split up into multiple pages because it kept crashing people's browsers with the sheer quantity of text.

That is hilariously lazy.

• Locked thread