Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

you'll get two randomly-generated dwarf waves, the first caravan..then nothing

Lawman 0 posted:

How many waves did you get?

Dwarf Therapist says I just got my 4th wave.

I'm looking at the dwarfs (most of them anyway) and it looks like they are 50-80 years old or whatever but almost none of them have any civ affiliations beyond joining my group\civ\fort upon arrival, so I'm guessing they are being randomly generated.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

As far as I know migrants are never randomly generated after the first two waves, so your guys must be coming from somewhere in the world. Maybe they've just lived extremely uneventful lives?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

EVIR Gibson posted:

Capt Duck linked a version of Dwarf Therapist that works partially with .03 http://www.mediafire.com/download/1le3tt4uwkmft1h/DwarfTherapist-0.6.12.zip

How partially?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Glorgnole posted:

As far as I know migrants are never randomly generated after the first two waves, so your guys must be coming from somewhere in the world. Maybe they've just lived extremely uneventful lives?

That's what I thought.

Well all the dwarves wandering the wilderness are welcome to the first site of the dwarven reconstruction.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

I don't think I even want to kill this person anymore, anyone that superhumanly badass kind of deserves to live.

Hhaha, you punched him so hard in the pancreas he skipped across the water like a stone.
So now he stands up, limp arm at one side, and a neck that looks like a spent M80.

"You first, coward."

GOTY 10/10

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Where is all the loving iron

prospect how I miss you

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

While talking with my dwarven liaison, he mentioned groups of dwarf refugees forming their own entities and heading out after having their homes conquered by humans. Since traveling groups are actually tracked now (you can see them as grey asterisks in adventure travel mode), they're probably still roaming around. I didn't think of checking my migrants to see if they were refugees from conquered sites. That'd be pretty cool.

I also retired my 40.02 fort and tried to generate a dwarven adventurer... as a newly-minted fortress guard of said retired fort. Needless to say, the game immediately crashed. It was inevitable.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Where is all the loving iron

prospect how I miss you

I maintain there needs to be a noble position called "Geologist" who sits in his study all day and it reveals random tiles throughout the map. As he gets better in skill, more tiles are revealed more regularly and the selection gets biased toward metal veins and gem deposits. Exploratory mining isn't fun.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Dumb question, but one I've never hit before. I grabbed a LNP thing for 34.whatever (peridexiserrant? its on the wiki), and rolled up a world and never actually bothered to prospect. After digging around for ages its all copper ores (on highest mineral generation). Prospecting shows no iron and when I revealed the map to look around I noticed there wasn't an adamantine tube, just a bunch of open space under the magma sea and an open square tube going up a couple levels to break out.

This hasn't ever happened to me before. Did I just get wicked unlucky or whats going on there?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The 'reveal' command does not show the adamantine tubes. If you want to see them too, I think you need to type 'reveal hell' or something like that. Any embark of 4x4 or larger is pretty much guaranteed to have at least one adamantine tube.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I maintain there needs to be a noble position called "Geologist" who sits in his study all day and it reveals random tiles throughout the map. As he gets better in skill, more tiles are revealed more regularly and the selection gets biased toward metal veins and gem deposits. Exploratory mining isn't fun.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm seriously going nuts here. I'm beginning to think this site has galena and *nothing else*.

Been like that for quite a few levels now. :argh:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I was travelling with four dwarf drunks when I stopped at a river to get a drink. There were some dingoes by the river, and two of the dwarves promptly ran after the dingoes and beat them all to death with their bare hands. One of the other drunks was apparently so scarred by this that whenever we stopped at a site he'd just stand still and talk about the horrors of death.

Our journey came to an end when we were ambushed by a night creature. He immediately punched the head off of the traumatized dwarf, climbed up a tree another drunk had rushed up to escape, threw him off and then bit his head off. The other two drunks and I sprinted away as fast as we could, but he still caught up to us one by one, until finally he kicked my legs out from under me and punched my head into the dirt, causing it to explode into gore.

It is terrifying.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Neurion posted:

The 'reveal' command does not show the adamantine tubes. If you want to see them too, I think you need to type 'reveal hell' or something like that. Any embark of 4x4 or larger is pretty much guaranteed to have at least one adamantine tube.

Well poo poo, I could have sworn I saw it before with reveal. I guess its the ol' "buy and smelt all the iron' route for these fellows. Least I got galena for maces!

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Does the new version have any unused skills in it? I remember I used to have some modded magic wand weapons that ran off some unused skill or another and was wondering if that's possible still.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It would be if there were more stuff to be found underground.

Emong posted:

Does the new version have any unused skills in it? I remember I used to have some modded magic wand weapons that ran off some unused skill or another and was wondering if that's possible still.

Unless Toady removed the unused skills such as alchemy they should still be there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Dwarf Fortress: Bronze Colossus Rampage edition is never going to get old. It's like blowing off steam in Grand Theft Auto except I'm a fifty-foot-tall naked metal man. I'm punting people across the map, running full-tilt all over the place and never slowing down, and sending people skidding along the ground so fast when I punch them that it rips their limbs off. A group of six people finally worked up the nerve to draw real weapons and attack me earlier, and I responded by casually punching all of them in the face so hard their heads exploded.

I need to find out which entity tokens let you lay claim to sites, so I can rule as an angry, vengeful bronze god over the people I didn't feel like punting.

Thanks to your recommendation I have spent the last hour playing what essentially amounts to an ultraviolent version of Toribash, and it's pretty great.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i'm having a really hard time talking to a person, getting a quest, getting the right info for that quest and then doing the quest

like, i finally figured out how to get them to tell me where to go and then there's no markers on the map or any useful information on how to find the site. Is [Q] just completely useless now except to tell me about all the skunks that attacked me or something

"go east to an invisible marker" is about the best ive gotten

Emong
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Unless Toady removed the unused skills such as alchemy they should still be there.

Yep, they're still there. Successfully added a wand that levels up the Druid skill.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I believe Gnomes get a building that's somewhat similiar to this in Masterwork, something called an excavation site that allows them to scan for nearby gems and ore. I've only just started playing Masterwork, though, and haven't had a chance to use it yet.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How partially?
I get strange values in skills for example.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trundel posted:

Also "Libash Keskaldeg, Ranger cancels Hunt: Interrupted by Giant Sparrow."
There's only one thing to hunt on the map, the sparrow, and he got interrupted by it so he stopped hunting.
It was inevitable.

Not a sparrow. A giant sparrow.
It's probably something like 3 meters from beak to tail, weighing several times that of a dwarf. It's not really strange to be scared by something like that.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Also there should still be a Writing skill right? I shudder to think about dwarven literature or worse, poetry.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

the back cover posted:

This is a novella. All authorship is of the highest quality. It is encircled by dense imagery. The story is adorned with pathos and commentary on the human condition. It menaces with spikes of social commentary. In this story is a description of the protagonist. The protagonist is overcoming obstacles to reach a satisfying conclusion. In this story is an antagonist. The antagonist is fighting with the protagonist. In this story is a description of the antagonist. The antagonist is making a plaintive gesture. In this story there is a description of dwarves. The dwarves are cheering.

vvvv

Human 3 just joined the pen 15 club in the most violent way possible.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Emong
May 31, 2011

Danny Glands posted:

Also there should still be a Writing skill right? I shudder to think about dwarven literature or worse, poetry.

I'm not sure this is how this skill is supposed to work.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Emong posted:

I'm not sure this is how this skill is supposed to work.

As the old saying goes, the pen is more :black101: than the sword.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A year into my first fort in a long time I had practically no immigrants and no militia, since i hadnt produced anything of value I wasnt expecting an ambush. Instead, a Warelizard appeared, tore apart a child, gored a fisherman, turned into an amphibianwoman and fled.
The game crashed just as the agressor left the map.

Reloading the the game progressed more or less the same except this time a WareRhino appeared in my trade depot. Made its way inside and started to rip up the place starting with a small child.

This was a historic day. Six dorfs fell before the Warecreature morphed into a human and was setupon by dogs.

Slabs and engravings would later recount this day as The day of Threshing.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Now we just need figure out how to bodge in a Slade Colossus so you can weigh approximately as much as the moon.

One could always just up Bronze density ridiculously, then test on iron-wielders.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How partially?

It's an older version (v6.12) that's some features behind Splinterz' official branch, but it apparently actually irl works.

Now also on DFFD!

Emong posted:

Tracker is now actually used, but everything else is still game.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 15, 2014

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Speaking of masterwork, anyone else playing the latest having the problem I where screw pumps can't be built? They renamed the original to pump component and whether metal or wood I can't build a sxrew pump as it needs " screw trap components"

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Iiiiiiii just had a fortress fail horribly because two goblins were hiding in trees. I had a siege before I had my third migrant wave, and had like twenty dwarves, walled up and waited. Two goblins remained after the seige got tired of shooting turkey and waddled off, I had a migrant wave come in of like 20 and I wanted those guys cleaned out so I got my dudes together and had them train. Four people died from the two of them but it worked out, goblins ran off after getting bored of killing my dudes.

Then the tantrum spiral happened. I didn't know dwarves got horrified now and that horror caused people to tantrum and standard tantrum spiral happened, aaaand yeah.

Why would I get invaded when I have like 20 dwarves and I literally am trying to make nothing that adds value to avoid siege until I get more. Do I need to initchange so I start out with thirty and go from there or is there something I'm missing.

Edit: Oh right, then my game crashed sending me back to before I even had a dining hall so hey, it all works out in the end?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Shukaro, or whatever you name is here at SA, are you still around? Yes, you who've made the Mouse Fortress tool? I've finally got a look at your thing and it shows great promise. With the addition of current DFhack plugins that allow e.g. selecting things by clicking on them, this becomes very powerful indeed. I believe we might use your code as a basis for a proper UI overlay that would replace the vanilla UI for the most part. Here's my thoughts on the topic.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 15, 2014

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

For those of you who are keen to know about how my Dwarf Fortress competition entry is doing (why would you be?), I'm still in the lead, but only marginally. In ~drama~ news, I did have one other competitor contact me and ask me to rig the system with him. When I didn't reply he found me on Twitter and sent me abuse :allears:

Anyway, if you think it would be funny for a competition sponsored by a company that sells products for l337 g4m3rZ to be won by a heartfelt essay to the inscrutable depths of Dwarf Fortress, click here to vote: http://yourbeautifulgame.com/entry/1144828

I think it would be hilarious. The other entries are all "Call OF DUtY IS AWeSOME!" while mine is an 800 word love letter to an endlessly baffling game that I keep trying and failing to actually play.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

So have you seen this?

quote:

This gives nine possible categories for what relationships the dwarf is willing to get into:

1. No homo + no hetero (3.8%)
2. No homo + hetero love, no marriage (15.0%)
3. No homo + hetero marriage (56.0%)
4. Homo love, no marriage + no hetero (1.0%)
5. Homo love, no marriage + hetero love, no marriage (4.0%)
6. Homo love, no marriage + hetero marriage (15.0%)
7. Homo marriage + no hetero (>0.0%)
8. Homo marriage + hetero love, no marriage (1.0%)
9. Homo marriage + hetero marriage (3.8%)

The total orientation ratios become:

3.8% of all dwarves are asexual
1.0% of all dwarves are homosexual
23.8% of all dwarves are bisexual
71.0% of all dwarves are heterosexual

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I knew about the new orientations (:buddy:) but I didn't know character orientations were broken down into disinterest/attraction/would-marry like that. That's kind of neat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Your migrant dwarves have more chance of being a vampire than being homosexual.'

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SynthOrange posted:

'Your migrant dwarves have more chance of being a vampire than being homosexual.'

I think that's just because the weird, top-down way it was implemented means that bisexuality is inadvertently/emergently the most common thing aside from heterosexuality. As opposed to gay/straight/bi/ace, characters are just gay and not straight, straight and not gay, gay and straight, or neither straight nor gay. :v:

The rate of dwarves willing to love/marry the same sex with no interest in the opposite sex does seem bizarrely low, though. Maybe it'll get tweaked?

e: just don't invert the die roll for same-sex attraction. Bisexuality everywhere! :haw:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 15, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The numbers emerging from this don't seem intentional (like, this is really odd for a desired outcome), so yeah, I'd be more surprised if they aren't tweaked at some point.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing
Weird thing with playing as a bronze colossus: I can ask about myself as if I'm a historical figure or something.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

soapydishwater posted:

Weird thing with playing as a bronze colossus: I can ask about myself as if I'm a historical figure or something.

People don't know who you are until you introduce yourself. I had an option to impersonate a dude once, couldn't get it to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

This is obviously an intended feature, since the pen is mightier than the sword.