Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sounds like more player hate by Taro Yoko to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

"Alright. I can do the LP in a month and change or so. I got my HD capture device and some free time. Maybe I can do an early backlo--" *HURRICANE*

gently caress sake!

You always have the luck, eh?

For anyone with an hour of so to spare, there's a video of Yoko Taro's panel from the GDC (pre-Drakengard 3) in which he discusses his method of working and other stuff. It's pretty interesting, and one of the few things where he's not talking through a sock-puppet, or an Emil mask.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020815/Making-Weird-Games-for-Weird

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason he doesn't need to fight anymore is because everyone else is dead. The world is burning down around him. It's the end of everything and nothing he or Zero did or could have done would have stopped it. All they did was prolong humanities suffering before its inevitable demise. Drakengard!

I love this series.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Good to see the fine tradition of Nier continues! At least it's not loving Eagle Egg farming.

It's genius in a way. The kind of people who would soy down and platinum a game like this are okay with buying dlc too usually.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Id, I believe this series wants you to suffer as much as it has.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, I picked the game back up today after about a month of doing other stuff and did Zero's DLC. Now that I've finished that, I think I can safely say that I'm done with Drakengard 3 forever. I never did get Ending D, and I never did the Final Survival, but to be frank, both of those are bullshit in their own special way and I don't really have any fun doing them. So gently caress it, I'm done. I did drat near everything in this game, and with a couple notable exceptions (Three's DLC, some of the later Book Club missions), I had way more fun with it than I ever expected to. So good on you, Taro Yoko. It's not another Nier, but I sank $80 into this mess and still walked out saying it was worth it. :unsmith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Which of the various Drakengard spinoffs are still ongoing?

I don't know why I find Drakengard so polarising.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's one of the stories unlocked from the DLC.
:siren:Spoiler:siren:
:smith:

e: Oh, I'm dumb.

It doesn't fit with the timeline but I guess Drakengard's timeline is a tangled nonsensical mess anyways.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Which of the various Drakengard spinoffs are still ongoing?

None as far as I know. Are there any other spinoffs of it besides NIER?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

None as far as I know. Are there any other spinoffs of it besides NIER?

There were some manga, I think.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Anatharon posted:

There were some manga, I think.

Both of the manga are still ongoing, I think.

The first one with the Elf-rapist and One() is a little look into the Drakengard 1.3 stuff. It's rather aimless in where it's going.

The other one is the Intoner five as children, trying to fight the corrupt lords of the land, and is basically a set-up to their backstory in Drakengard 3.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pesky Splinter posted:

Both of the manga are still ongoing, I think.

The first one with the Elf-rapist and One() is a little look into the Drakengard 1.3 stuff. It's rather aimless in where it's going.

The other one is the Intoner five as children, trying to fight the corrupt lords of the land, and is basically a set-up to their backstory in Drakengard 3.

Man, even by Drakengard standards Elf-rapist is a terrible character. If all elves are anything like him Four was right to blow them out of the sky.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Man, even by Drakengard standards Elf-rapist is a terrible character. If all elves are anything like him Four was right to blow them out of the sky.

I kinda get the impression that the intoner 5 were actually a net positive on the world, minus a few mistakes here and there (Two). I've not finished all of the DLC yet however, so I may be completely off base.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Brackhar posted:

I kinda get the impression that the intoner 5 were actually a net positive on the world, minus a few mistakes here and there (Two). I've not finished all of the DLC yet however, so I may be completely off base.

They are a temporary peace, but only because they ruled with the power of the Song - the Flower is eventually going to bring about the end of the world, via one/all of the Intoners - but not before driving them batshit first, so any positive they do is really just delaying the inevitable "Apocalypse by Emi Evans".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 14, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What's the fastest way to make money? I have 94% of the weapons and I need to see branch D.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Overbite posted:

What's the fastest way to make money? I have 94% of the weapons and I need to see branch D.

Pick you favorite Intoner and get their DLC. Barring that, Survival missions.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

To be fair, there's also Arioch.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flytrap posted:

Pick you favorite Intoner and get their DLC. Barring that, Survival missions.
No way Survival is as fast as grinding the first Desert mission to repeat Desert Payday (with the golem). But the DLC's still faster, I hear.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If you seriously care enough to go for ending D, just buy the DLC for your favorite sister (that is not Zero), a single pass through should net you somewhere around 500 grand in gold.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
And by "your favorite sister," they all mean Four because her weapon is the best by far because it has a way higher Bullet Kick charge speed than every other gauntlet.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Two's DLC is probably the most interesting, though.

This is a story about the mistakes of two foolish people.

This is a story about... two very broken people.

Edit: Then again, Four's diary thing was probably the best of those.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 15, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Man, Two's story is so Drakengard!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gologle posted:

Man, Two's story is so Drakengard!

I thought that at first but I realized it isn't.

It involves a decent human being.

That's the same reason Drakengard 2 isn't.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Anatharon posted:

Two's DLC is probably the most interesting, though.

This is a story about the mistakes of two foolish people.

This is a story about... two very broken people.

Edit: Then again, Four's diary thing was probably the best of those.

What is Four's diary about? Something hosed up I'm sure, but how hosed up and in what way?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read through it and it was delightful. Oh Four, you truly are the biggest bitch :3:. If they ever make a game about you running around Hell insulting/beating the poo poo out of people I'll buy it and play it twice

I also read Five's which....ended up being surprisingly sad. Leave it to Drakengard to make a Child rapist almost sympathetic (although Dito is actually 22, so I guess she's not really a child rapist; just a regular rapist. Not much of an improvement.)

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 15, 2014

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Does it really count when he's actually just a dove / magical construct empowered by The Watchers?

yeah, it probably still counts.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think adding stuff in like the DLC makes me appreciate Drakengard 3 a bit more.

What is Four's diary about? Something hosed up I'm sure, but how hosed up and in what way?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read through it and it was delightful. Oh Four, you truly are the biggest bitch :3:. If they ever make a game about you running around Hell insulting/beating the poo poo out of people I'll buy it and play it twice

I also read Five's which....ended up being surprisingly sad. Leave it to Drakengard to make a Child rapist almost sympathetic (although Dito is actually 22, so I guess she's not really a child rapist; just a regular rapist. Not much of an improvement.)

I found entry 8 to be the best of Four's. That's right-god! See that? I won't even CAPITALIZE YOUR NAME!

Two's was appropriately tragic.

Also having read Zero's It feels like it's supposed to take place over millenia, and it's more or less just the Earth being.. done. That's still sad in a way, I suppose. I'd be interested in if the branch D line Accord said about "feeling like Zero is still out there" is supposed to have any actual relevance or if it was just part of the "thanks for playing" bit.

Well, there is Leonard too.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 15, 2014

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm working my way through Four's DLC right now and I really, really hate the "helper" they give you in the second verse. She somehow always manages to position herself such that I can't see what's going on because she takes up my entire screen. Even more fun, I'll be beating some guy to death only to have her swat him five miles away from me.

Ugh.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Has anyone read the Utahime Five manga? Is it any good?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Wow, that was the most evil final boss in any game I've ever played. It took me a few hours but I beat it. Now I must plat the game.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Anatharon posted:

Has anyone read the Utahime Five manga? Is it any good?
From what's out? Not really, unless sexualized drawings of children are your "thing"; that's all it really has going for it other than generic shounen action, other than starring the D3 cast. As children. Children with superpowers, that resemble D3 characters in name only.

[Fake edit: Just finally beat Branch D. Now, to drink heavily.]

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
On a scale from Azumanga Daioh to Cowboy Bebop, how anime is it? Or has it transcended anime to the level of Cromartie High School?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Shonen action against a guy who abducts children and makes dolls and furniture with their flesh and hollowed out corpses.

That's all it is really, a shonen series implanted into the world of Drakengard.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay, I broke down and bought this game. Which DLC is good for my money?

I'm seeing that Two and Four's DLC are interesting. Any of the BGM Remix packs any good?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

RadicalR posted:

Okay, I broke down and bought this game. Which DLC is good for my money?

I'm seeing that Two and Four's DLC are interesting. Any of the BGM Remix packs any good?

Two and Four's are probably the best, in terms of gameplay and in expanding character. Three and Five's are basically murder/fetch quests. One's elaborates on a character that appears in one ending (but it's not great due to her weapon), and Zero's is more of the same as the main game, but with some character development for her dragon.

They all drop a poo poo load of gold, which helps trying to buy and upgrade poo poo for the main game, but if you were to choose only two, go for Two and Four.

The BGM remixes are all pretty nice.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 27, 2014

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

alcharagia posted:

And by "your favorite sister," they all mean Four because her weapon is the best by far because it has a way higher Bullet Kick charge speed than every other gauntlet.

It really is. Have you ever wanted to just... punt enemies? Everywhere?

I'm dreading Five and One's DLC because 1) gently caress Five 2) gently caress Spears 3) gently caress Chakrams.

Reminds me, Darklord's Flame is also pretty good. It's like Jotaro and Chun-Li got together to create the most effective way to punch/kick people to death, and the result of said collaboration was Darklord's Flame triangle combo. And gently caress it if an enemy if giving you too much trouble feel free to just flying kick them to death. I honestly cannot recommend it enough, which is saying a lot for a weapon in this game of all games. I originally passed over combat bracers in general because I thought they were poo poo. If anyone reading still thinks that don't make the same mistake I did. Maybe I just need to find a good spear?

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 27, 2014

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
One square attack then mashing triangle makes spears ungodly powerful what are you talking about.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

From what's out? Not really, unless sexualized drawings of children are your "thing"; that's all it really has going for it other than generic shounen action, other than starring the D3 cast. As children. Children with superpowers, that resemble D3 characters in name only.

[Fake edit: Just finally beat Branch D. Now, to drink heavily.]

That's kinda too bad. It could've been interesting.

kumamushi
Mar 7, 2008
I am still stuck at the final final boss. -_- I've tried the "helper vids" but I just can't get either to line up with the game acceptably and the weird icons in the videos are too big for any level of accuracy in hitting the notes. I pretty much put down the game for a while. At least I have all the store lady's missions done...

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm at the Final Boss too and it's a lot easier if I don't look at the screen. The things I don't like about it is the load time and wait for the actual "fight" to start, and when they all go at once it gets hard to tell if they spat out two notes real close or just one and I misheard it. It blends into the song too much.

Still, all the notes stay the same so I guess I'll just learn it over time.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
i hate this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Overbite posted:

i hate this game
Yoko Taro feeds off your impotent anger, it sustains him.

• Locked thread