Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
No, the latest book is a lot better than the middle ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Daric posted:

I read the latest Iron Druid book.

I really enjoyed it. Am I in the minority on this?

Not at all.

It was a decent step up in quality, and most of the obvious INSERT NERD JOKE HERE moments were toned down.

I'm glad, because I've enjoyed the series overall, in spite of the really obvious flaws.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Since we're talking Urban Fantasy here, are there any books that are less like noir crossed with fantasy and more :twentyfour: meets fantasy? Butcher's comment about not setting Dresden in DC to avoid doing politics made me wonder if anyone's tried anything more up that alley.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

timeandtide posted:

Since we're talking Urban Fantasy here, are there any books that are less like noir crossed with fantasy and more :twentyfour: meets fantasy? Butcher's comment about not setting Dresden in DC to avoid doing politics made me wonder if anyone's tried anything more up that alley.

Check out The Breach and American Craftsmen.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Megazver posted:

Check out The Breach and American Craftsmen.

I tried American Craftsman a couple weeks ago and ehhh. It was a really weird book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I tried American Craftsman a couple weeks ago and ehhh. It was a really weird book.

Frankly I didn't finish it either (being Russian, I found the :911: a bit too much for me) but he specifically wanted a thriller-y 24 type book with UF elements. He might be more into it than you and I. And the parts with the histories of those families and the powers they have were cool.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 13, 2014

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Daric posted:

I read the latest Iron Druid book.

I really enjoyed it. Am I in the minority on this?

Not... really. The books can be fun and exciting and the premise is really cool. The problem tends to be that Aticus is a tool and Obyron (I can't remember the spelling) can be aggravating after a while. There was a really weird and bad time skip in there too, which brought the books as a whole down.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

timeandtide posted:

You could try The President's Vampire series by Chris Farnsworth. It's based out of DC but there isn't a great deal of politics in the book. I had fun reading the series though.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

Clinton1011 posted:

You could try The President's Vampire series by Chris Farnsworth. It's based out of DC but there isn't a great deal of politics in the book. I had fun reading the series though.

I listened to the audiobook for the first one, narrated by Bronson Pinchot who does a good job. But then I start thinking about Perfect Strangers and all the shady poo poo Balki was up to, he's halfway to a deposed Nigerian King.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I have to say, I started reading these books on the thread's recommendation back in 2012 and was content with just reading one every month or two, letting myself slowly catch up as the series gets closer to its end. We all know Storm Front and Fool Moon are hard sells, but while I definitely enjoyed books 3-9 I wasn't pressed to read one after the other (especially after Proven Guilty and White Night, which feel like 300 pages of occasionally interesting meandering plots that finally cohere into awesome 200 page finales).

But then I hit Small Favor. And Turn Coat. And holy poo poo, Changes.

That's a hell of a streak, and while Ghost Story was (as the old threads seemed to agree) kind of lacking in the Corpsetaker and Fritz plots, it made up for it by trying something new and moving all of the side cast in interesting directions. But man, Cold Days. Cold Days is awesome: I don't know any other series where you can say "Book 14 is the best!" and actually make a good argument for it.

What is the thread consensus on Skin Game? No spoilers, but if it ends up being the Fool Moon of the second half of the series I need to let myself down now because the concept alone (Ocean's 11 heist with Harry and Nicodemus teaming up to steal the Holy Grail) sounds like it should be awesome. Am I right in expecting that it's going to be what Cold Days was to fae/Outsiders, but for the Denarians/Hell/Heaven?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Edit to add: there's a conversation near the end between two dog lovers that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Almost independent of anything else that happened in the book, I was enjoying it for that scene alone.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, I put Skin Game on par with Small Favor at worst. (it's good, read it now)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The only downside I can think of is giving Maggie's sister all of three words of dialogue. There's teasing the next book, and then there's just dickishness :argh:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Most of the complaints I have seen about Skin Game seem to boil down to the fact that it came out after Cold Days which was so good.

I enjoyed it a lot personally, and yeah, I found dog chat and the Maggie scenes awesome.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Skin game was a great book with some minor flaws that bug people the rape stuff I honestly think my only problem with it comes down to, it is yet another book that puts off story lines/interactions and plot points I want to know more about.

Oroborus fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 15, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
A lot of cool stuff has happened in The Dresden Files, but the climax in Skin Game was the only thing that's topped the climax in Dead Beat for me. I'm basically an 8 year old boy.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Poopy Palpy posted:

A lot of cool stuff has happened in The Dresden Files, but the climax in Skin Game was the only thing that's topped the climax in Dead Beat for me. I'm basically an 8 year old boy.

I see nothing wrong with this. :colbert:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Skin Game is much more of a stand-alone, which is a bit jarring after previous 3-4 books which did a lot to advance the main plot of the series. That's not to say Skin Game isn't excellent, or that nothing happens, it's just a lot more self-contained.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm basically an 8 year old boy.

It's cool, we're the target demographic.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks to whoever mentioned the Gentlemen Bastards series, been having a lot of fun. Camorr especially was pretty cool, no New Crobuzon but still very interesting.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Skin Game is very formulaic and completely fails to advance the main plot, it's a very serviceable Dresden Files story, but it's not Changes or Cold Days. At least it wasn't published on a GRRM timeframe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super.Jesus posted:

Skin Game is very formulaic and completely fails to advance the main plot, it's a very serviceable Dresden Files story, but it's not Changes or Cold Days. At least it wasn't published on a GRRM timeframe.

Uh? What?

Harry reconnects with his daughter, his second daughter is born, a new Knight of the Sword is created, one of the reoccurring series villains is killed, Harry gets access to multiple high-grade magical artifacts of incredible power, Harry and Karrin finally end up together for reals this time and Uriel kills a man in a way which is extremely likely to have long-term consequences.

How can you say it fails to advance the main plot? It literally has the payoff for several major long-running plotlines and sets up several more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

Uh? What?

Harry reconnects with his daughter, his second daughter is born, a new Knight of the Sword is created, one of the reoccurring series villains is killed, Harry gets access to multiple high-grade magical artifacts of incredible power, Harry and Karrin finally end up together for reals this time and Uriel kills a man in a way which is extremely likely to have long-term consequences.

How can you say it fails to advance the main plot? It literally has the payoff for several major long-running plotlines and sets up several more.

You're talking to someone who in all likelihood wants to see the rest of ASOIAF released as a Wikipedia summary.

"If it doesn't deal with [the ultimate bad evil that you literally only learned about in the last book] then it's not really advancing the plot".

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ImpAtom posted:

Uh? What?

RE Uriel:

That is an interesting mystery because he loaned Michael his grace and was still bound by whatever prevents him from telling the whole story. However there didn't seem to be any effects at the time for him killing that minion that broke into the house. Maybe it counts as self defense?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Azuth0667 posted:

RE Uriel:

That is an interesting mystery because he loaned Michael his grace and was still bound by whatever prevents him from telling the whole story. However there didn't seem to be any effects at the time for him killing that minion that broke into the house. Maybe it counts as self defense?

He was, for all intents and purposes, a man when he did that. Michael had his Grace, which makes him an angel. Much as he'd have fallen if Michael had abused his power, he was free to kill that man

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/489256627812315136/photo/1

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

computer parts posted:

You're talking to someone who in all likelihood wants to see the rest of ASOIAF released as a Wikipedia summary.

To be fair I think that would be preferable for most people at this point.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

He's got a hat! That's awesome.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I am Zim posted:

He's got a hat! That's awesome.

gently caress that, he included Bob :3:

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Uh? What?

Nearly all of this happens near the end of the book. We aren't shown what any of this amount to, yet. The rest of the book is a videogame heist level with mostly new characters.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Super.Jesus posted:

Nearly all of this happens near the end of the book. We aren't shown what any of this amount to, yet. The rest of the book is a videogame heist level with mostly new characters.

For sure bro. I liked the novel and I think it will have impact on the series. It sets things up and ties up some hanging plot threads that have been there for a while. I think since Proven Guilty harry has been having migraines.

Sorry that you didn't like the novel.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Super.Jesus posted:

You're probably shouldn't read a 23-25 book long series if you want quick resolution and a minimum of side plots

^^^
It's Small Favor, as the the reason for them occurs in White Night

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Re: the Laundry

Will Bob's new code name be TEACUP?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Rygar201 posted:

He was, for all intents and purposes, a man when he did that. Michael had his Grace, which makes him an angel. Much as he'd have fallen if Michael had abused his power, he was free to kill that man

More Uriel:

If that is the case then why was he prohibited from outright telling him whatever they needed to know? He's usually stopped by whatever supernatural rules are there to prevent him from making free will worthless. However in this case he was a mortal so there shouldn't have been anything to stop him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super.Jesus posted:

What? There are more existing characters in the book than new characters especially if you count Hannah as Lash's avatar and these things occur or are set up throughout the entire book. Are you sure you read the book and not a wikipedia summary or something?

I mean if your complaint is "this isn't Changes again" then you're right but it would be really loving dumb for it to be Changes again.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 17, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I didn't see mention of it but figured the thread dwellers would like to know that Jim tweeted that Cinder Spires #1 is almost done on July 5th, so hopefully that means done in the next month and released this fall.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

More Uriel:
If that is the case then why was he prohibited from outright telling him whatever they needed to know? He's usually stopped by whatever supernatural rules are there to prevent him from making free will worthless. However in this case he was a mortal so there shouldn't have been anything to stop him.
He didn't have his intellectus as a mortal, so he maybe really couldn't say anything because he just didn't know.
Also, just because mortal-Uriel wasn't bound by the same rules as angel-Urial, doesn't mean he wasn't bound by his own principles. For example he couldn't push Butters directly into picking up Fidelacchius. Butters had to make that choice himself.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Uriel hasn't been the loving Spymaster of Heaven for thousands of years without slashing throats every now and then while refusing to spill any secrets. It's probably habit by this point.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
I just finished the first Alex Versus book and I really enjoyed it. I like how he and Dresden are almost total opposite of each other. I'm still new to the UF world, I've only ever read the Dresden Files, so I like getting a new viewpoint on magic and wizards/mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Regarding Harry being kinda goony, I have always read his "m'lady" moments as intentional on his part to 1) be funny and 2) bug murphy (to whom he does it 90% of the time) because he knows she hates it. Hell he even says thats why he does it. Yes he has a soft spot for women in distress, he gets over that a bit when they start screwing him over. Also it fits in with the Noir roots of the book. Detective meets damsel, damsel turns out to be part of the problem, detective gets over it.

As for the mantle stuff in recent books, it gets a little over the top but if anything serves as a contrast to how much he's aged since the series began and gotten past his 23 year old libido.

in short: i think the people this bugs are reading way too much seriousness into the character when he's intentionally being dumb.