Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The cult is a huge drag on Leftovers, a large group of people who don't talk just doesn't work. A character can work perfectly well mute like Hector Salamanca or Victor from Les Revenants but a whole cult of them is just ridiculous. Especially as they use notepads rather then smartphones, the amount of discarded notes in their compounds must be enormous. It also does not help that the best actors are not in the cult, the preacher's sister who does the weird surveys is really good.

The impact on society is quite understated I think. Both science and faith are unable to come up with an explanation and the possibility of it happening again would shake everyone's faith and hope for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Its on the CW so they're probably just airing the original Canadian version. They do that sometimes and pretend its original programming.

Also, no idea who this guy is since I don't watch the show but Brooks Wheelan has announced that he was fired from SNL.

Yeah, they're also airing Penn and Teller's Fool Us.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Last month Kacy Catanzaro became the first woman to ever beat the City Qualifier on American Ninja Warrior and in the process the first woman to ever make it up the Warped Wall in competition. This week she was in the City Finals and she was loving amazing. There's no Youtube video of it but instead here's a Dailymotion video. It's pretty goddamn awesome.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hgrx_kacy-catanzaro-american-ninja-warrior-dallas-finals_sport

I saw that last night. She beasted the poo poo out of that course.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deadpool posted:

Last month Kacy Catanzaro became the first woman to ever beat the City Qualifier on American Ninja Warrior and in the process the first woman to ever make it up the Warped Wall in competition. This week she was in the City Finals and she was loving amazing. There's no Youtube video of it but instead here's a Dailymotion video. It's pretty goddamn awesome.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hgrx_kacy-catanzaro-american-ninja-warrior-dallas-finals_sport

This is loving insane.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

Fack, he's trolling us all.

Let's not rule out the possibility that he's merely been driven insane from prolonged Tim Allen exposure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

The problem with the leftovers is that the premise is absolute poo poo. Over 98% of the world is still remaining, there's no way any government system could crumble. Yet random rednecks are shooting dogs on the street in front of cops for no loving reason.

It's a tragic event, but the show treats it like it's the apocalypse. Like if the exact reverse happened, that 98% of people disappeared, leaving only 2%, that'd be poo poo and justify every action taken by these characters. That'd be a show worthy of the name "The Leftovers." But right now, it's just "someone stole a grape from the fridge and I'm pissed off" worthy.

The dialogue is terrible. "Your dog is dead." "I don't give a drat, it was my husband's." Bitch, this callousness is why you weren't raptured. The sad thing is that the side-story of the dog was the only enjoyable part of the entire episode.

Then there's the scene with the Westboro Baptist copycats protesting a day honoring the missing. The crowd starts beating them up, then the police starts beating them up, and horses start flying out of nowhere neighing and poo poo. The scene seemed like it was trying to make you sympathize with the cult, but really it portrayed them as being such lovely people, that they really did deserve it.

Some excellent points here! I just don't see how any of it is interesting yet. One example is the Liv Tyler plot in episode 2 which is literally her figuring out why having to chop lots of wood to be part of the cult is important. The final scene was her getting up early and chopping wood like it was some huge moment but it was just the most bland, nothing climax.

Also the cinematography has moments of true excellence but most of the time is either very generic or overly shaky (thanks, Peter Berg!) and the fact Occupation can praise it for that and still bitch about Hannibal is like aaaaaaaah because Hannibal is the most beautiful show to air on TV maybe ever and just god daaaamn iiiiit

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bown posted:

Man, if you guys think that's impressive.....imagine how it looks to someone who has never seen a single second of this show before. That was gob-smackingly incredible.

This. I've never seen this show, I didn't even know it existed. And now holy gently caress. I checked out some other videos and that first one has ruined it for me. Nothing else is close.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This. I've never seen this show, I didn't even know it existed. And now holy gently caress. I checked out some other videos and that first one has ruined it for me. Nothing else is close.

These are just the qualifiers. They're nothing compared to the actual competition.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

See if you can find any clips of the original Japanese one, it's called "Sasuke" but was aired for years on G4 as "Ninja Warrior" before they started making the American one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

See if you can find any clips of the original Japanese one, it's called "Sasuke" but was aired for years on G4 as "Ninja Warrior" before they started making the American one.

They still do the Japanese one. The American one is a qualifier to get there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there some kind of recent law in Canada that if you film a TV show there you have to hire Roger Cross?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

I just looked it up and they've been replicating the course in Vegas instead of sending them to Japan for the last few seasons.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Deadpool posted:

This is awesome. Surely the comments section is full of praise and encouragem--

quote:

Absolutely ridiculous that she's called a hero for jumping around some obstacles! Has she saved a life or put her life on the line like our soldiers do. Hero give me a break... She is a professional gymnast. And she only did this to say a woman can do what man can. Seems selfish to me!

Oh. :suicide:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I know they still do the Japanese one but the American one is a totally separate thing on its own now, IIRC when they started showing it in primetime a couple years ago I think Sasuke was actually at risk of being cancelled. I think ANW was only a qualifier for like the first year or two it existed when they had it on G4 and it sucked and nobody gave a poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

I just looked it up and they've been replicating the course in Vegas instead of sending them to Japan for the last few seasons.

They've been doing that for a couple of years, actually

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is there some kind of recent law in Canada that if you film a TV show there you have to hire Roger Cross?

He was in Orphan Black doing the worst British accent I've ever heard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

They've been doing that for a couple of years, actually

Read what you quoted.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

Read what you quoted.

Actually yes, I am always correct thanks for noticing mra

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Oh, that's dumb.

Airfare should be cheaper than building the whole course. I guess they don't want anyone to see how badly Americans do comparatively..

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I guess they don't want anyone to see how badly Americans do comparatively..

I'd be interested to know results from when Americans went over there and see if this is the case.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, that's dumb.

Airfare should be cheaper than building the whole course. I guess they don't want anyone to see how badly Americans do comparatively..

They actually did an episode a few weeks ago where the best American players ran through each stage of the full course against the best Japanese players, and the Americans stomped them into the loving ground.

I haven't seen Sasuke in a few seasons so I don't know how comparatively insane their courses have gotten though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

I'd be interested to know results from when Americans went over there and see if this is the case.

Iirc they never even completed the second stage (in sasuke there's four stages, the first two are timed, the third is untimed, and the final stage is a rope climb up to "mt midoriyama" within a ludicrously short time window

Also it's not that Americans are bad at sasuke, I think, or well it is but not for the reasons you'd think; sasuke has been running for a long, long LONG time and people basically make careers out of competing on sasuke year in and out, in comparison anw is relatively newer

Plus I think well be seeing anw adapt to the skills of Americans nationally speaking; most to all sasuke stages are based around grip strength and flexibility/balance, skills Japanese people are very good at, whilst I bet in anw well see more upper-body strength related challenges

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At least one American has made it to stage three every single season.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Iirc they never even completed the second stage (in sasuke there's four stages, the first two are timed, the third is untimed, and the final stage is a rope climb up to "mt midoriyama" within a ludicrously short time window

Also it's not that Americans are bad at sasuke, I think, or well it is but not for the reasons you'd think; sasuke has been running for a long, long LONG time and people basically make careers out of competing on sasuke year in and out, in comparison anw is relatively newer

Plus I think well be seeing anw adapt to the skills of Americans nationally speaking; most to all sasuke stages are based around grip strength and flexibility/balance, skills Japanese people are very good at, whilst I bet in anw well see more upper-body strength related challenges

Ummmmm pretty much every single Sasuke obstacle past the first stage since the very beginning has been extremely upper body intensive. If anything anw should focus more on jumping and reach since Americans are taller.

And I think the reason America had to build their own Mt. Midoriyama is because they only do Sasuke in Japan twice a year, and they only let 100 people do it. For a while they were reserving slots for Americans, and reserving more and more each year. I suspect they were getting tired of our best people coming over and doing really well, taking the spotlight away from the Japanese.

I used to watch a poo poo-ton of Ninja Warrior on G4

EDIT: Also...in the Japanese version there's a pretty good mix of silliness and athleticism among the 100 participants. A lot of comedians and crazy people run the course and get their 5 minutes of fame when they fail spectacularly. Meanwhile, we sent our hardest, most chiseled and dedicated people over. Of course the Americans are going to look better in comparison, and I think Japanese being the best at an obstacle they created was important to them.

timp fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 15, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Beads!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There is no waiver strong enough that this show doesn't get sued off the air eventually.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
American Ninja Warrior is Wipeout! taken seriously.

And to put some more perspective, Kacy Catanzaro is 5 ft tall about 100 lbs. Every man compete ting is taller than her by at least 6 inches, and some are well over 6 feet so the amount of reach they have over her is insane. For about half the obstacles such as the warped wall, tilting frames and gauntlet of stripper poles, not having that extra several inches of reach is an insane disadvantage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not even Kacy Catanzaro could get past the Big Balls. That obstacle is rigged.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Not even Kacy Catanzaro could get past the Big Balls. That obstacle is rigged.

These?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OD0OfWQ98&t=162s

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No, the things from Wipeout in the gif posted a few posts up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I misunderstood :sweatdrop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The normal ones are usually beaten by people going fast with big strides.

When they're moving up and down forget it though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Occ was saying that Leftovers was better than Mad Men right? Just think that needed to be repeated.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
The Leftovers is definitely better than Mad men, which is a bad show.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Ravane posted:

I've only watched the pilot

You could've just started out with this and saved everyone who read your post some time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mad Men is only bad when it focuses on Betty

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yaoi Mandel posted:

You could've just started out with this and saved everyone who read your post some time.

No one read his post.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did. It was a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

No one read his post.

I skimmed it and I still feel ripped off.

• Locked thread