Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Vertigo posted:

Is wicked weed easy to find in Raleigh? I'm going to Raleigh but Asheville is four hours the wrong way

Yeah, you shouldn't have a problem. Most of the shops have their stuff in bottles and lately Tasty Beverage Co has had them on the growler station. (Right now they have their Coolcumber cucumber saison)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
My Beer Camp 12 pack cost about 27 dollars here in California, and if you include CRV and tax, rounds up to about 30 dollars. Half of the responses are divided between the following:

"What the poo poo, a 12 pack of beer for 30 dollars are you insane? I'm not paying for that!"

or

"HOLY poo poo THIS BEER CAMP PACK IS AWESOME!"

I always try to explain to everyone that half of the breweries don't even distribute this far out West, with New Glarus being Wisconsin only, but all they see is the price and not the beer you can get.

That being said, my favorite so far has been the Russian River Blonde along with the New Glarus offering.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've been up in Montreal, and will be driving back down to NYC tomorrow morning. I'm planning on driving down through Vermont, passing through Burlington, etc. Is it possible for me to stop somewhere and get some Heady Topper, or would I have to chase a truck, stand in line for 2 hours, etc? I'd like to try the beer, but I'm not wasting my time on any of that.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Toebone posted:

I've been up in Montreal, and will be driving back down to NYC tomorrow morning. I'm planning on driving down through Vermont, passing through Burlington, etc. Is it possible for me to stop somewhere and get some Heady Topper, or would I have to chase a truck, stand in line for 2 hours, etc? I'd like to try the beer, but I'm not wasting my time on any of that.

Skip Heady, go to Hill Farmstead and get Eddie.

I seriously don't understand why people get so masturbatory over Heady Topper when driving through Vermont but don't drop by Hill for not one, not two, but five or more fantastic beers. Yeah it's an hour and a half out of the way from Burlington. But it's worth it.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Toebone posted:

If you're taking the 91 down it might be worth your time to check out Hill Farmstead, although it'll probably be a wait. They open at noon, I got there at like 11:15 and I was the fourth person in line. They opened at noon and I didn't get out of there until around 12:30. If you're just doing the 87 and don't want to drive like an hour and a half or more out of the way for HF and just want Heady, check the Alchemist website and it shows where they distribute in Burlington -- you should be able to snag a 4 pack from places on the day they distribute there. If you just wanted to try some pretty much any restaurant/pub that they distribute to would have some you could drink while eating.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Hill Farmstead isn't open on Tuesdays

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

Hill Farmstead isn't open on Tuesdays

Well now that's a good reason not to go there. Though I think I could content myself with gazing mournfully through the window.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

krustster posted:

UUaahh how easy to find is the BB cherry stout? I absolutely love the regular (non-cherry) one. I am going to Madison in early August but if it's all going to be gone, I'll have to make arrangements for some to be obtained on my behalf.

I want to say it came out at least a month ago. I found mine in some small-town (yet surprisingly large) liquor store so I don't know how successful you'll be in a much larger place like Madison.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

bartolimu posted:

Well now that's a good reason not to go there. Though I think I could content myself with gazing mournfully through the window.

i'm surprised we haven't heard of anyone breaking in and stealing tons of beer, honestly.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I want to say it came out at least a month ago. I found mine in some small-town (yet surprisingly large) liquor store so I don't know how successful you'll be in a much larger place like Madison.

What town? I might be up in Kenosha on Saturday.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Any idea where I might find a beer camp box in the Ann Arbor area? Haven't had any luck.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pugnax posted:

Any idea where I might find a beer camp box in the Ann Arbor area? Haven't had any luck.

I don't think it's hit Michigan yet, I've been asking around and no has any ETA. You could probably talk to Rave directly, they might be able to tell you when they'll have it.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

What town? I might be up in Kenosha on Saturday.

Reedsburg which is very far from Kenosha. I would be surprised to see it at the Woodmans given how little of it was at this liquor store..but who knows. If Crazyfish's monthly bottle share idea ever goes through I'll be sure to bring a couple bottles since it is worth a taste at least.

Oud Bruin is tasty but I think I prefer Wild Sour. I'll have to hold on to a few bottles and see if it tarts up a bit in a year.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Is NG's barley wine worth grabbing? A store near me has a couple cases sitting on a bottom shelf gathering dust, and I can't remember the last time they released it. That and the winter warmer from last year. Not priced for clearance but just regular price.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BlackHattingMachine posted:

Is NG's barley wine worth grabbing? A store near me has a couple cases sitting on a bottom shelf gathering dust, and I can't remember the last time they released it. That and the winter warmer from last year. Not priced for clearance but just regular price.

The BW is fairly weak imo. Every time I've opened an aged bottle I've basically described it as "musty fruit" which is fine if that's what you like, but American barleywine is not near the top of my favourite styles, fresh or aged.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Had a blast at the Ballast Point 18th anniversary party. It all took place on a bunch of ships at the maritime museum which was pretty cool. Unfortunately it made things pretty crowded and the event was a little oversold. I got through my tasters but most of my time was spent waiting in line. They had a bunch of barrel aged beers at every stop and some sours the best one was a 10 year old gueuze! The 2012 Sour wench was close second, a bourbon aged beer with rasberries.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Decided to open up the Allagash representative of the Beer Camp sampler last night, against my better judgment (since I have a head cold). I couldn't taste it at all. :( Oh well, I have one more to try later.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

91 degrees and humid here in Philly, just got back from the local Wegman's. Can't wait to crack open the first one of the season...

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Pumpkin beer, satan incarnate or merely banal evil?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bundt Cake posted:

I don't like to personify the evil of pumpkin beer. I like to imagine it more as a uncaring cosmic force of malice towards all living things.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Eejit posted:

I don't like to personify the evil of pumpkin beer. I like to imagine it more as a uncaring cosmic force of malice towards all living things.

This is the most beautiful thing I've read from this thread.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bundt Cake posted:

I don't know, which one is more delicious?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

pugnax posted:

Just hit Wisconsin today so shouldn't be that long. $23 before taxes. Can't wait to drink some!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Spent the last few days in Western Michigan with the future wife's family. I was hoping to make a trip to Grand Rapids but that didn't work out.

But on the way in, we walked into a tiny shop in Portage, IN. Snagged a four pack of Head Hunter, a JK Mad Megs, and a couple of Shoreline Brewery BA'd beers. I've never heard of them but apparently they're a brewpub out of Michigan City, IN.

Wheat whiskey barrel wheat wine was OK. Actually had quad-like character. The label said 2011 release. Right now drinking a 2009 (????) BBA'd stout. Quite nice. Dark fruit and vanilla, similar taste profile to BCBS. Maybe a molasses sweetness added. Good mouthfeel but not crazy heavy. I'd definitely put this above a majority of the style but not top tier. Weird that this was just sitting on a shelf but that's loving Indiana I guess.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hello thread. PA is indeed a realm of crazy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

VendaGoat posted:

Hello thread. PA is indeed a realm of crazy.

ISO: Tired Hands Such Passion
FT: Me not mocking you.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

a worthy uhh posted:

91 degrees and humid here in Philly, just got back from the local Wegman's. Can't wait to crack open the first one of the season...

I realize that this gets worse and worse every year and that this has been beaten into the ground over the years, but I just can't wrap my head around the decision making process at Souther Tier for this / the people who clearly buy pumpkin beers this early to warrant this early release

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
The beers are much later than last year. Last year the first beers were bottled in April/May and shipped in June. We had Long Trail's Imperial Pumpkin and Buffalo Bills before the 4th last year.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I used to enjoy a six pack (well one bottle of said six pack rather) of O'Fallons pumpkin beer in the fall. Only problem was they flew off the shelves in August so needed to plan ahead.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

RiggenBlaque posted:

I realize that this gets worse and worse every year and that this has been beaten into the ground over the years, but I just can't wrap my head around the decision making process at Souther Tier for this / the people who clearly buy pumpkin beers this early to warrant this early release

There are people who want to drink Pumpkin beers year round. phillytapfinder.com keeps track of current taplists for a lot of bars in the area and they publish stats on what people are searching for. In the summer of 2013 Pumking was the 3rd most searched for beer right beneath Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig. When they compiled the list of all 2013 stats the 2nd most searched for style was pumpkin beer.

I can't say if this is representative of other places around the country, but I'm guessing it is. There is definitely a high demand for these beers.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 15, 2014

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

There are people who want to drink Pumpkin beers year round. phillytapfinder.com keeps track of current taplists for a lot of bars in the area and they publish stats on what people are searching for. In the summer of 2013 Pumking was the 3rd most searched for beer right beneath Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig. When they compiled the list of all 2013 stats the 2nd most searched for style was pumpkin beer.

I can't say if this is representative of other places around the country, but I'm guessing it is. There is definitely a high demand for these beers.

Yea, this. Beer nerds might hate them and breweries might hate producing them but for a lot of the drinking public pumpkin beers are the one time that a regular BMC drinker will splurge and reach for something different. Maybe they'll eventually look beyond the pumpkin beers and support these breweries by purchasing their other year round offerings, and maybe they won't, but the point is that pumpkin beers are a hugely popular style that helps a brewery keep the BB stouts, sours, and other expensive to produce, nerdy deliciousness flowing.

P.s. I loving love Pumking.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Brewdog has done a deal with Stone to get 'Enjoy By' flown over to the UK and into their bottle shops and bars this Friday. There's likely to be a pretty limited supply and it'll almost certainly be horribly expensive.

Is it worth the expense/effort?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pantsfree posted:

Brewdog has done a deal with Stone to get 'Enjoy By' flown over to the UK and into their bottle shops and bars this Friday. There's likely to be a pretty limited supply and it'll almost certainly be horribly expensive.

It's a very good IPA. I wouldn't pay more than.. $12? for it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

pantsfree posted:

I think it's one of the better American IIPAs, it's really delicious. It's not the second coming of beer Jesus so I wouldn't feel bad about missing the event, but the beer is good enough that it would be rewarding to go get some as well.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Yeah, the last two Enjoy Bys I had were reeeally tasty, but I think it's probably not worth more than $15 (at least for a one-time thing).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Depends how much you like IPA's and how hard it is for you to get an outstanding fresh one over there. If you adore hops, it's certainly a world-class IIPA and will probably be worth it to you.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Chicagoons, it sounds like I've got enough interest so I think I'm going to try and turn August 13th into the first edition of the "Cellar Raid Day" bottleshare.

Time: August 13th, 7pm

I have eaten at 90 Miles multiple times and their food is very good. Their Cubano sandwich is top notch, and I am also a huge fan of the grouper soup. They're a no-corkage BYOB with tons of seating and pretty much the exact kind of place I had in mind for this bottleshare series.

Here's how it works:
- Standing invite on a particular day of every month. Maybe the same as the current Cellar Raid Day or a different day, I haven't really decided.
- Group meets at a BYOB in the city proper on a weeknight. Preference goes to BYOBs of reasonable price (sub-$20 entrees) and with reasonable parking options that we could get a reservation at on a 2-3 day notice (so, unfortunately, no bottle shares at Schwa).
- Goons only. I want to keep this share to a reasonable size, and the easiest way to do so here is to keep it to just us internet nerds.
- Everyone brings somewhere in the neighbourhood of 750ml of beer, not to exceed 750ml (with extremely limited exceptions). That's 2x 12oz, 1x 750ml, 1x 22oz, 2x375ml, or other similar combination. The idea here is to allow people to drive home not totally wasted, to not force people to empty their cellars on a weeknight, and to allow everyone a fair shake at contributing. If you want to go out and drink more afterward, that's fine, as Chicago is loaded with bars, but I want to keep this from being like some of the ultramarathon shares that I've been to.
- You will not be beer-shamed. The idea here is not to bring and drink whalez so much as to finally drink something you've been holding on to for no particular reason. No one is gonna stop you from whipping out Blauw on a Wednesday night, but don't necessarily expect that out of everyone else. If you're new and haven't been a hoarder cellarer for as long as some of us have, no problem! Aged shelf beers, even ones that might still be sitting there (think Straight Jacket) are absolutely fine. If you have any doubts, ask.
- While I'm writing out rules and everything, I don't want to be like that one guy who was mentioned way back in the thread that hosted some weird spergy share where he literally counted ounces and ABV and made some bizarre spreadsheet (who attended that one again?).

If you want in and already have my email address, send me an e-mail and I'll put you on a mailing list that I'll only be using for the purpose of this share series. If you don't have my address and you want to be added to this list, send me a PM and I'll add you. Given that we may have a decent-sized group, I'd like to confirm attendees in advance so I can make a reservation.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
That sounds perfect. I may even be able to make the first one since I think my sports mostly end the week before.
Thanks for organizing it dude.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

pantsfree posted:

I think so, unless it's super crazy. I'm not a big fan of IPAs generally but I thought 7/4/14 was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

pantsfree posted:

I think it probably would be worth it, at least once to try a very fresh West Coast IPA. It's a great beer.